Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 2/17-2/23/2020 Weekly Thread

Viewing 16 posts - 51 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Lebron
    Participant

Oh and after seeing the extended trailer for the new season of Westworld I am fully convinced that they had a budget of close to a billion dollars. It looks like Transformers meets Gangs of New York.

Starring Marshawn Lynch!

Lebron
    Participant

I think tomorrow is the 40th anniversary of the Miracle on Ice game so queue’d up the HBO doc from some time in the early aughts.  I always thought Eurizione was the one that said ‘to your fucking graves’ between the 2nd and 3rd period of the Finland game but apparently it was Brooks and Eurizione just tells the story.  Anyway I know we bash the commercialization of it all but it was still some unbelievable shit.  Al Michaels said something interesting that I hadn’t thought about – for most of us when someone asks ‘where were you when you heard about…?’ it is almost always if not exclusively related to something bad or catastrophic, except for when people talk about where they were or how they heard about that game, or even watching it.*

*My dad was on a business trip in DC and I told him the score and he told some cop that was somewhere around his hotel and the cop then radio’d in to the dispatcher to spread the word.  I believe it was before they aired the game and I don’t recall specifically how I got the score.  Russo swears that Jim McKay ruined it for everyone by revealing the score, I thought he gave some kind of warning that he was going to reveal it but not sure.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

The Boston Bruins acquired Ondrej Kase from the Anaheim Ducks in exchange for veteran David Backes, a 2020 first-round pick and prospect Axel Andersson, it was announced Friday.

I’m gonna need a Lefty or Feejis driveby to evaluate.

Lefty

Any trade moving Backes contract -especially getting it off the books for next year – is a necessity, if not a win.   They need to extend Krug or trade him (he is a UFA at season’s end) and could use the salary cap space next year for that.

the #1 pick going out doesn’t bother me as they are working in a finite window right now with their best players and need to get some NHL ability on their 2nd and 3rd lines.  Hopefully, it will be a very late first round pick anyway.

I know nothing about the prospect traded but, on paper, the Bruins have a bunch of young defensemen in the pipeline and can’t keep them all

the guy coming back is a young winger who can score, but has been hurt a lot and has a concussion history.  He’s under contract next year for short money.  He is a Czech and I think may have played with Krejci here and there in international games, but I don’t know that.   I assume he goes right on that line.

on the whole, I like the trade and it takes no one from the big roster.   I don’t think they are done and there are more moves to come.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Canadian Soldier
    Participant

With his concussion history, does Backes actually think he’s going to lace on the skates again for the Ducks, or any other NHL team?

On second thought, because of his concussion history, he may actually think that’s exactly what he’s going to do. :-(

BrianInLA
    Participant

I think tomorrow is the 40th anniversary of the Miracle on Ice game so queue’d up the HBO doc from some time in the early aughts. I always thought Eurizione was the one that said ‘to your fucking graves’ between the 2nd and 3rd period of the Finland game but apparently it was Brooks and Eurizione just tells the story. Anyway I know we bash the commercialization of it all but it was still some unbelievable shit. Al Michaels said something interesting that I hadn’t thought about – for most of us when someone asks ‘where were you when you heard about…?’ it is almost always if not exclusively related to something bad or catastrophic, except for when people talk about where they were or how they heard about that game, or even watching it.*

*My dad was on a business trip in DC and I told him the score and he told some cop that was somewhere around his hotel and the cop then radio’d in to the dispatcher to spread the word. I believe it was before they aired the game and I don’t recall specifically how I got the score. Russo swears that Jim McKay ruined it for everyone by revealing the score, I thought he gave some kind of warning that he was going to reveal it but not sure.

One of the few games from my youth where I remember exactly where I was watching it and how I felt as it was happening. I dont know if I ever knew around that time that some folks knew the score before it was aired. I think I found that out many years later. Most of those game memories (both before and after) were for losing games. lol ’75 Sox, ’78 Sox, ’86 Sox. Fucking Sox.

I thought the McKay thing was actually for Eric Heiden and the speed skating medal record and he gave it away before it aired. But I was 13 and could be completely wrong.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

Figures that Russo appears to be wrong

The game was played at 5 p.m., but ABC didn’t show it live. Instead, the game was shown on tape delay at 8 p.m. The network was showing the USA.-Soviet hockey game and men’s slalom in prime time, with host Jim McKay introducing the lineup and alerting viewers that the events were completed. “The events you’re going to be seeing tonight, both have been completed,” McKay said. “It may be that many millions of you know the results. However, we said at the beginning we would not tip the result of something to you until we show it to you. We’re going to follow that policy tonight because if there is only one person in this country who doesn’t know how these two events turn out, I’m not going to be the one to tell it to you.”

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Hacksaw
    Participant

Sounds crazy, but I think I heard the Miracle on Ice game on the radio.

Lebron
    Participant

I also read that Eric Heiden tried to get in to the game but no tickets, so he ended up sitting on the platform with Michaels and Dryden.  Michaels was calling hockey because he was the only guy who had ever called a hockey game, his previous experience was 1 game in the ’72 Olympics.  Dryden had just gotten back from Canada right before the game, went back to take their equivalent of the bar exam as he had it scheduled way in advance.  After the game they were ready to take off but Roone Arledge said they had to stay and call the Finland-Sweden game in case something went wrong with the tape so they had something to show.  Michaels said they had no clue on the Finnish players knew some of Sweden from the game against the US.  With 8 or so minutes left they just stopped, assumed they were good and nothing wrong with the tape.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Yahtzee
    Participant

I know – 2005 calling – but fvck Dick Vitale.

Lefty

All day, every day.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Gasper has an incredibly lame column advocating for an additional NFL playoff team.

GusChiggins
    Participant

I popped on that game while washing some dishes yesterday. Audible groan when I heard his voice. Came close to switching to another game but wanted to see Kentucky.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Where’s Marie Kondo? Calls against the Lakers bring me joy.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Alas, there weren’t enough of them.

Coma
    Participant

I have no idea what this means. Well done rich millenials of the Ringer:

Here’s my favorite thing about the new proposal: If this goes into effect, no NFL team can receive a bye over a team with a better record ever again.

In 2018, the Patriots went 11-5 and received a no. 2 seed over the 12-4 Chargers. That’s because the top four seeds in a conference are reserved for division winners, and the Chargers finished behind the 13-3 Chiefs in the AFC West. That’s how the second-best team in the AFC got the no. 5 seed. Those Chargers lost in the divisional round to a rested Pats team that was playing at home despite having an inferior record.

Under the new system, this couldn’t happen. While it was possible for a team without the second-best record in a conference to get the no. 2 seed, it’s impossible for a team without a conference’s best record to get the no. 1 seed. From now on, there would be more equity with regard to byes.

Of course, under this new format, the 2018 Chargers still would not have gotten a no. 2 seed—they’d still have been the no. 5 seed, and still likely would’ve had to spend the playoffs on the road. But at least they wouldn’t have gotten screwed out of a bye.

The Chiefs were 12-4 in 2018, the same as the Chargers, but why worry about details? Another detail that’s missing from this story is any mention of the 10-6 AFCN champion Ravens, the team that the Chargers faced in the 1st round of the playoffs. I guess, because LA won that game, it was okay that they had to play an “inferior” team on the road. Anyway, I feel pretty confident that, since the Patriots beat the best team in the AFC twice that year (home and away, regular season and playoffs), it’s dubious to proclaim the Chargers the “second best team.”

Viewing 16 posts - 51 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar