Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 2/18 — 2/24/19 Weekly Thread

This topic contains 282 replies, has 38 voices, and was last updated by  328 Chauncey St 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 283 total)
  • Author

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

Funny how travel completely wipes out the thought of posting. Probably because I’m all-thumbs on a phone.

But I did attend the Celtics-Sixers in Philly. Weird stadium. It’s new, but there’s less legroom than in Fenway. Small seats and no space to enter/exit the aisle from your seat. Philly Phans as expected. The gentleman in front of me, when he took a brief break from his duties standing up, turning around, and waving his arms often inquired “Are ALL the refs from Boston?!?” Good time, given the final score.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

I watched last month’s Eagles-Saints playoff game over the weekend. What a ref-dominated shitshow that was. The zebras kept Philly in the game and really destroyed the rhythm of play. The refs (led by Carl Cheffers) called 15 (accepted) penalties, eleven of them (84 yards worth) against the Saints — who were playing at home.  Despite that, NOLA came back from two TDs down to win 20-14.

So, while it had a happy ending — it’s always good to see Philly beaten down — the Saints could have put up well over 30 on them if not for the rain of yellow flags.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

Again, I was traveling and not reading The Globe while I did so. That resulted in me missing this from Beth Teitel:

“This spring, … Red Sox fans who are members of TSA’s PreCheck … will be allowed to enter Fenway Park through a dedicated and faster gate: Gate E.”

• “[T]he Red Sox are partnering with Idemia, a France-based … company that runs the [TSA’s] expedited enrollment check-in technology.”

“Idemia is planning to create a ‘Trusted Fan Program’ at Fenway and other … venues”:

• “It will integrate biometric and credit card … information and create a system that enables a fan to buy a hot dog or a cap with a simple hand wave.”
    • “The information … is shared with the partner venue, which, having learned which beer you like, … could send push notifications alerting you that the concession stand at Section 10 is packed but there’s no line at Section 8.”

Sheesh! They should track the press box snacks and give Cafardo true paranoia regarding “analytics.”

2 users thanked author for this post.

Not a fan of OBJ, but there’s your answer for all the people blaming the Patriots for jettisoning Cooks without having a plan for addressing the position.

Humphrey
    Participant

I watched last month’s Eagles-Saints playoff game over the weekend. What a ref-dominated shitshow that was. The zebras kept Philly in the game and really destroyed the rhythm of play. The refs (led by Carl Cheffers) called 15 (accepted) penalties, eleven of them (84 yards worth) against the Saints — who were playing at home. Despite that, NOLA came back from two TDs down to win 20-14.

So, while it had a happy ending — it’s always good to see Philly beaten down — the Saints could have put up well over 30 on them if not for the rain of yellow flags.

The gold standard for that was the Chiefs/Rams Monday night game with the so-called All Star crew. It’s always been my theory that the NFC Championship fuckup was in no small way related to the same assigning philosophy. Something was terribly wrong about the way that went down. Good officials sell the call …those guys stood there like they didn’t know who was supposed to be looking at what.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

9 users thanked author for this post.

jforb
    Participant

That espn piece of Donaghy is worth a look, if only for the drawings. I don’t want to go with an LJ comparison, but they’re pretty insane in their own way.

Yahtzee
    Participant

On the top 10, number 4 was a pretty remarkable catch by Gronkowski to hold on.  Number 3 looked even more impressive from the rear angle.  Number 1 is Number 1.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Feejis
    Participant

All I see in that top 10 list is Gronk running away from defenders in most of them.

I really hope he sticks around.

9 users thanked author for this post.

Nick B
    Participant

Well, Padres just guaranteed themselves to not winning anytime soon.

Lebron
    Participant

Reminds me of the Rangers signing Rodriguez, what’s the point other than to spend a shit ton and then end up paying him to play elsewhere?  They must have figured the Eric Hosmer signing was such a smashing success, why not go deeper in the hole?

BrianInLA
    Participant

Padres do have 9 or 10 top 100 MLB Prospects. Though who knows how any of that will play out. They need pitching more than anything at this point.

Feejis
    Participant

Padres do have 9 or 10 top 100 MLB Prospects. Though who knows how any of that will play out. They need pitching more than anything at this point.

Not even counting the guy the Sox traded for Pomeranz who has been injured for 2+ seasons.

Hacksaw
    Participant

YOU HAVE ONE CALL SAN DIEGO….MAKE IT A GOOD ONE! REACT!!!!!!!

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

For the two of us here who know Lee “Hacksaw” Hamilton, that was well played!

Good night now!!!

Hacksaw
    Participant

For the two of us here who know Lee “Hacksaw” Hamilton, that was well played!

Good night now!!!

THE BEST 15 MINUTES IN SPORTS IS COMING AT YOU! FROM CORONADO TO THE CONNECTICUT ROCKIES!

Lebron
    Participant

Champions League on TNT is mind roasting.  And don’t get me started on the FA Cup matches being on that gay ESPN+

Coma
    Participant

That’s a nice change from when the NFL’s social media accounts were trolling Brady.

Participant

Hey Pete, hear about Lagerfeld?  Dead.

Lebron
    Participant

Saw that Don Newcombe died today, 92.  I remember he spoke at my sister’s high school about alcoholism and she got his autograph for me because I loved baseball but I was like 11 or 12 had no idea who he was.  The grand old game Danny.

3 users thanked author for this post.

jforb
    Participant

Can someone translate this paragraph into English?

It’s one thing to go on a Western Conference swing and play really well — the Bruins won 8 of 10 during a similar stretch around the same time last year — and be a legitimate Stanley Cup contender, because the Bruins reside in one of the toughest divisions in hockey. In case you forgot, the Lightning are a wagon (plus-77; Bruins are a plus-26) and curb-stomped Boston last year.

Yahtzee
    Participant

No

Participant

WAGON!

Yahtzee
    Participant

WAGON!

Aren’t you supposed to add, “, bro” to that?

stabbed by foulke
    Participant

In other words, don’t enjoy these games puckheads because no matter how fun the come from behind overtime wins are, you’re not getting by Tampa.

8 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 283 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar