Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 2/18 — 2/24/19 Weekly Thread

This topic contains 282 replies, has 38 voices, and was last updated by  328 Chauncey St 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 283 total)
  • Author

Humphrey
    Participant

Nobody died in there / Belichick

Bill does get to call Robert a schmuck, right? Least he can do.

6 users thanked author for this post.

Rickkyboy
    Participant

Tom Hagen Now hold it right there Goodell. Robert is semi-retired and Jonathan is in charge of the Family business now. If you have anything to say, say it to Jonathan.

5 users thanked author for this post.

NASCL
    Participant

To Lefty’s point yesterday:

The Jupiter Police felt so bad about the trafficking aspect of this that they decided they needed six months of videotape watching them jack off shrivelled johnsons?

Lefty

To Lefty’s point yesterday:

The Jupiter Police felt so bad about the trafficking aspect of this that they decided they needed six months of videotape watching them jack off shrivelled johnsons?

The only scenario I can come up with to make this seem acceptable is if the tug joint was secretly recording customers (whether for protection or extortion) and when the cops finally raided the place, they got all the video.

Other than that, if the cops put their own secret cameras in there for six months, it feels like a problem in a lot of ways.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Eerily, the third post in the thread referenced Cafardo, and the second used the phrase “happy ending”.  If something happens to the Sixers stadium, we’ll know this thread is cursed.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Feejis
    Participant

I would assume the police were working with the establishments after they were initially busted. But I haven’t read any of the details.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Eerily, the third post in the thread referenced Cafardo, and the second used the phrase “happy ending”. If something happens to the Sixers stadium, we’ll know this thread is cursed.

Hoping it’s post 1 and not post 4.  :ohmy:

1 user thanked author for this post.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Just imagine if they had 3 on 3 overtime back in Bobby Orr’s day. No one else would have ever touched the puck.

Feejis
    Participant

Weird Bruins game. They looked tired and ready to end the trip but pulled out a point.

Gimp
    Participant

Weird Bruins game. They looked tired and ready to end the trip but pulled out a point.

9 out of possible 10 points on the trip out west. Not comparing, but I seem to recall the 2011 run starting with a great west coast trip.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by  Gimp.

BrianInLA
    Participant

I have played pond hockey in the rain. It was never fun.

Participant

But it’s Philly, i hope the fvcks get soaked – as always F Bill Barber

5 users thanked author for this post.

Big Fat O
    Participant

I think I’m done listening to the Celtics on the radio. We all know they’re not playing great but to be reminded of it every minute is no fun.

This means you Grande. You suck.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

General Alert:

Sunday Globe has a reportorial look at how incident “raises questions about Robert Kraft’s future.”

Got a Bob Hohler vibe?

Then, you are correct.

Lebron
    Participant

I’ve never encountered so many know it alls on human trafficking in my life.

Ironically I gave a compliance training course on this subject a few years ago to the sales monkeys, was asked why we even had to go over it this is a waste of time.  Guaranteed when I see these guys next they’ll all be subject matter experts with a shame on you look.  Of course these guys would set up their clients with underage hookers if it meant a buck in commission.

Humphrey
    Participant

It’s been mentioned before by others; it’s stuff like (sic) “Kraft was filmed twice by the police” that has be scratching my head. Not once, twice. I can see a film of a bunch of people coming in during one or two business days, then shutting down the place. Seems much more about the customers than the exploited/abused workers.
    I also don’t understand where they got all the names….someone like Kraft is recognizable enough but most of these people, even the rich ones, aren’t.

Why do we know Kraft’s name in the investigation, but not the allegedly “bigger” name?

Claude45
    Participant

It’s been mentioned before by others; it’s stuff like (sic) “Kraft was filmed twice by the police” that has be scratching my head. Not once, twice. I can see a film of a bunch of people coming in during one or two business days, then shutting down the place. Seems much more about the customers than the exploited/abused workers.

I also don’t understand where they got all the names….someone like Kraft is recognizable enough but most of these people, even the rich ones, aren’t.

Exactly. This is why I always use the name Dan Shaughnessy when i go for a quick rub and tug.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Coma
    Participant

Exactly. This is why I always use the name Dan Shaughnessy when i go for a quick rub and tug.

I don’t know if this is accurate and I have done zero research to verify it, but I read on Twitter (reading that back makes it sound like something that would definitely be false) that the police found a list of client names and the sexual favors provided to them in the trash. That could have happened, but that would make this the dumbest, most naive prostitution ring and collection of Johns ever.

Remember SI’s Michael Rosenberg? He was the guy who wrote the most comical of all the “here’s all the other shit the Patriots have been accused of” articles during the Deflategate investigation. He’s the one who said the Gillette Stadium parking lot video screen was positioned so Belichick can view replays the opposing team can’t see. The line I keep returning to in that article is “well-founded whispers”, setting a new ankle-high threshold for what rumors you’re allowed to print. He’s also the guy TEC said was in Ryan Grigson’s back pocket.

Rosenberg just did a Kraft column that’s predictably overwrought. First, the insinuation that Kraft’s involvement was more than the misdemeanor charge:

So, yeah: Save the eighth-grade jokes and the schadenfreude for the next time the Patriots lose in the playoffs. This is not about an old man getting a thrill. It’s about the systematic and intentional destruction of lives for profit. And Robert Kraft allegedly played a role in that. The question for Kraft, and for the NFL: What role, exactly?

Next, a highly speculative interpretation of Kraft’s statement:

A spokesperson for Kraft issued a statement saying “we categorically deny that Mr. Kraft engaged in any illegal activity. Because it is a judicial matter, we will not be commenting further.” Astute readers will note that the statement did not deny that Kraft participated in a sex act in a massage parlor. It only denied “illegal activity.” This gives Kraft enough wiggle room that, if he has indeed been caught on camera engaging in sex with a massage-parlor worker, he can … um … argue it was consensual, I guess.

This is incredibly O’Leary-like: He said this, but did you notice what he didn’t say? Why would he say this, unless he’s guilty?

Next is my favorite part, narrowing down the possibilities to that which only implicates Kraft:

There are a couple possibilities:
    1. This was the greatest misunderstanding in the history of misunderstandings. It is hard to fathom a scenario in which a billionaire is allegedly caught on camera multiple times at a strip-mall massage parlor where prostitution is believed to have taken place, and he actually did nothing wrong. Why else would he even be there? Billionaires can afford masseuses who do home visits. But hey, Americans are innocent until proven guilty, except on Twitter. Kraft has a right to defend himself.
    2. Kraft is a horny old man who likes a thrill, and this was one way he got it. This seems more logical, but let’s see where the story goes and what we learn.

This is Rosenberg falling back on the well-founded whispers. He believes the smoke long before we know if there’s any actual fire.

Now that he’s established he believes Kraft’s guilty, Rosenberg moves on to the righteous indignation stage, speculating Kraft surely must have known those girls were sex slaves:

Did he really think those women were working there voluntarily? Did he tell himself this was a victimless crime? Did he not know or care enough to ask himself whether these women were essentially sex slaves? And do you believe him?

“Do you believe him?” Do you believe this claim Kraft never actually made? Confirmation bias journalism at its best.

I do not like Kraft. I believe nothing good happens whenever he opens his yap. I subscribe to Mark Leibovich’s line that Kraft is a starfucker. I believe the only thing Shank’s been right about all these years is Kraft’s a needy fuck constantly craving external validation for his team’s accomplishments. I believe it was Kraft, not Belichick or Brady, that was the cause for the Deflategate scandal, a now-I-got-ya-you-son-of-a-bitch retribution scheme by Mara and company, who were tired of Kraft’s perpetual victory lap. I think if he’s truly guilty of this (and it doesn’t look good), he’ll eventually pay a steep, deserved price.

But all these hit jobs are so premature. Were I the managing editor at any of these outlets, I’d be preaching restraint right now. It’s interesting to learn there actually is a line Michael Felger won’t cross. Tara Sullivan cautiously uses “If the charges prove true” disclosures in each paragraph she writes, careful not to make a claim without an “alleged” qualification in advance. Were I Kraft – on the remote chance he’s actually innocent –  I’d have people logging every one of these articles, looking for the ones that actually insinuate he’s funding international sex trafficking. That’s a libel charge he could actually make stick, whether he’s guilty of the misdemeanor or not.

I also think it’s very telling that Shank’s column this morning is “It’s back: The Red Sox-Yankees rivalry is renewed”, with nary a mention of Amos Alonzo Kraft.  :lol:   :lol:

3 users thanked author for this post.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

Quick look at the print Globe 1ndicates that the first 150+ words of Shank’s breakthrough insight that the Sox-Yankees rivalry is back ON! are pure dead files/press release / intern scut work. The one Shankian touch is that when he needs to come up with a simile that describes crowds attacking official vehicles he drops Nixon in Venezuela. In 1958.

It’s not news. It’s not really analysis. And it’s not in any way enjoyable reading.

The Shaughnessy vs. Writing clash is ON!

Lebron
    Participant

Jesus Christ.  Kraft is to blame for the air pressure in footballs incident and what happened subsequently.  It’s all Kraft’s fault.  Insanity.   “Shaughnessy was right.”  It figures you’d reiterate all this bullshit given the events of the past few days.

Lebron
    Participant

Do you have examples of model owners that you would prefer to own the Patriots?  Is there another owner in sports that has had a ‘deflategate’ type incident and how he/she handled it to your liking?  Were you similarly upset when Brady finally conceded in his suspension?  Do you ‘like’ Brady?

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

Do you have examples of model owners that you would prefer to own the Patriots? Is there another owner in sports that has had a ‘deflategate’ type incident and how he/she handled it to your liking? Were you similarly upset when Brady finally conceded in his suspension? Do you ‘like’ Brady?

i have to ask. who are these questions directed to?

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

His arrest for a misdemeanor, if/when it finally happens, will do more harm to him personally than to the franchise. Most of my friends line up with what I’ve seen here: getting a handy in a strip mall massage parlor is (to some) sleazy but to all almost inexplicably dumb for a guy worth $6.6 billion.

How can you argue against Kraft as the savior and greatest owner of the Patriots’ franchise? If we had stopped in 2002 and given him credit for keeping the team from moving to St. Louis, hiring Belichick, winning one Super Bowl, and building Gillette Stadium he would already have cemented his place as the best owner in the team’s history and in Boston pro sports annals. (Arguably along with Walter Brown.)

I don’t blame Kraft for “Deflategate,” but I agree with BBTL in the sense that I find it very conceivable that Kraft’s pandering to the media rubs enough owners the wrong way and that they were out to get him and his franchise and its market value in 2015-16.  I read his post as inferring that those owners, and the league office, are the ones who are directly to blame for Deflategate.

Kraft is only one of the billionaire-owners with massive egos, but he is also only one of two owners who have six Super Bowl rings — and his all since 2001. The other six-ring owner(s), of course, are the Rooneys, who could probably get away with murdering someone at the 50-yard-line at Heinz Field during a Steelers’ game on Sunday Night Football. The Maras have four rings; the publicly owned Packers have four rings. That’s the Old Guard of the NFL. Eddie DeBartolo was drummed out of the league and the Niners haven’t won since 1995. Jerry Jones has been in the league only five years longer than Kraft, and he has three rings (out of the Cows’ five), but he hasn’t won since 1996. (I do credit Kraft for NOT being Jones and forcing Belichick out of the organization because of jealousy. I also have to believe that, if Jones had won three Soupeys in the last five years to add to his resume, he’d be on the shit list, too.) Pat Bowlen has three rings, but only one in recent memory, and he’s in a nursing home.

The owners see Kraft on the platform every other year; they hear that whiny victory speech, too. They see all the face time that he and Jonathan get in their suites every year. They see how the value of his franchise has ballooned from $175m to $3.5b (or something) since 1994. They see him get the credit for the TV deals and the CBAs — although some owners hated him for brokering the 2004-05 CBA. Owners like the Spanos family (and the Johnsons in NY) must wonder what might have been for their franchises if Kraft had never come along. The 2006 divisional playoff game may have mortally wounded the San Diego Chargers franchise. And he’s no doubt a driven, aggressive businessman who tries to win in the boardroom as well as on the field. And many may believe that he’s a hypocrite.

Let Kraft sit out his suspension in Chestnut Hill or Palm Beach. I’m looking forward to 12 picks in the 2019 draft — and/or what Bill can trade some of those assets for.

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 283 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar