Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 2/18 — 2/24/19 Weekly Thread

This topic contains 282 replies, has 38 voices, and was last updated by  328 Chauncey St 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 276 through 283 (of 283 total)
  • Author

Jesus Christ. Kraft is to blame for the air pressure in footballs incident and what happened subsequently. It’s all Kraft’s fault. Insanity. “Shaughnessy was right.” It figures you’d reiterate all this bullshit given the events of the past few days.

If you think I’m a broken record with this, that’s fine; I apologize for being so insufferable. Sincerely, I know I can be a dick about this. Doesn’t change that this is what I believe. In a post where I’m arguing for due process for Kraft yet.

He’s not “to blame” for Deflategate; the other asshole owners are. They’re assholes across the board. There really are no good options. I think they’re some of the most miserable people on the planet, and they love having Kraft as a willing punching bag. What riles me is when push comes to shove, he aligns with them rather than the two people who brought all the accomplishments for which he so desperately craves validation. Absolutely, he didn’t have options with Deflategate – suing the league would have been suing himself, we understand all that. But he caved publicly to the team portion of the penalty, thinking this would save Brady; then he met publicly with Goodell (the “hug” meeting), thinking they had a quid pro quo; then predictably, Goodell fucked over Brady nonetheless. Mara and Rooney must have keeled over at the club about that one.

Do I think he’s completely without virtue? Of course not. His philanthropy speaks volumes, and I think the coaches and players are all genuine in their praise of him. But I think he sold out Brady during Deflategate and sold out Belichick after Spygate (I’ve heard/read multiple times now where he’s retold the “Then you’re a schmuck” story; why keep retelling this Belichick-debasing story if not to enhance his own persona?). And I think he’s made a goddamn embarrassment of himself long before this week’s incidents.

Was I similarly upset Brady conceded? Of course not. His appeal was toast, and he was out of options. But at least he fought it as far as he could for over a year. Kraft conceded right out of the gate, then wanted us to send him flowers for it. You know, for “ending the rhetoric”.

Lebron
    Participant

I missed the Kraft sympathy plea entirely so I’m not sure where the ‘he wanted us to send him flowers for it’ comes from.  For all of the reports you believe about Kraft, Shaugnessy and whoever it was that called him a starfucker, you don’t believe the reports that other owners told Kraft to shut up and take it?  Jones didn’t proceed with any action either with the Elliot suspension for the same reasons, reportedly he was told that the other owners would take action against him up to and including getting it escalated to the Executive Committee forcing him to sell.  Like Brady, he was in a no-win situation.  Selling out Brady and whatever else is utter nonsense.  If he sold these guys out and they felt that way, why are they still here and why do they speak so highly of Kraft himself?  It’s fans that say “I woulda done this and I woulda done that and I wouldn’t have taken no shit from nobody” that feel that way.  Much like I can’t understand how billionaires live from day to day I also can’t understand how they operate their successful businesses and make the key decisions that they make.  I’m sure I’m not the only person who has seen someone take on a position of power at work, thinking alright now things will really change … and they end up doing the same things as their predecessors which is namely do whatever it takes to enhance their business unit top/bottom lines and keep their jobs.  I don’t care about the schmuck stuff, yeah maybe he doesn’t have to re-tell it but it was likely a heat of the moment comment and clearly didn’t effect Bill.    And the starfucker stuff, I’m perfectly fine with Kraft enjoying what success has brought him.  So what?  Brady’s been in movies, has kids with a steady tv actress and a supermodel, dated an at the time movie personality prior to that, shows up at that one annual fashion show wearing whatever weird shit and participated in a series about himself, so I’m not sure what the big deal is.  At least they’re not reclusive weirdos.  And any type of look at me behavior isn’t him running what could have been one of the greatest coaches of all time out on a rail and assuming the general manager role, which again I’ll take any day of the week.  He’s also not drunk in a bar telling anyone that would listen that he could get anyone to coach the Patriots and win the Super Bowl.  I’ll take this run of success and pure enjoyment, warts and all.

I’ve previously expressed my thoughts on the subject and my ‘strenuous’ objection to your point of view but bringing it back up 3 weeks after a magnificent Super Bowl victory and 2 days after this incident made my blood boil.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Feejis
    Participant

Bob has appeared the fool enough that this just fits right in.

The virtue signaling from everyone who couldn’t have cared less about this issue before is where the real attention should be turned.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

I’m also up to my eyeballs in people all happy to take shots at the Patriots via this incident, usually arriving at a ‘how can you defend Kraft/aren’t you embarrassed’ like I’m going to renounce my support of the team and join them in their pathetic hatred and jealousy of greatness that isn’t approached let alone achieved by the teams they support or become self-loathing over this. Kraft is still head and shoulders above any of those other 31. Fuck them.  Fuck them now more than ever.

Lebron
    Participant

Bob has appeared the fool enough that this just fits right in.

The virtue signaling from everyone who couldn’t have cared less about this issue before is where the real attention should be turned.

Lots of sudden concern over human trafficking/slavery while people sipped their coffee (beans picked by slave labor), drank their power smoothies (fruit picked by slave labor) and laced up their Nikes (assembled by sweatshop/slave labor).

Feejis
    Participant

I’m also up to my eyeballs in people all happy to take shots at the Patriots via this incident, usually arriving at a ‘how can you defend Kraft/aren’t you embarrassed’ like I’m going to renounce my support of the team and join them in their pathetic hatred and jealousy of greatness that isn’t approached let alone achieved by the teams they support or become self-loathing over this. Kraft is still head and shoulders above any of those other 31. Fuck them. Fuck them now more than ever.

Yes the Bowlen/Elway leadership has been morally impeccable.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Big Fat O
    Participant

Krafty Bobs problem is he wants to be loved. He’s not happy just being the owner and a billionaire. You don’t see Wyc or Powder hanging with rappers or up dancing at some party with Cardi B. He’s done a great job with the team but be the owner and not some wanna be gangster.

People hate the Pats because their successful and will use any excuse to shit on them. This doesn’t help and only gives ammo to the haters.

328 Chauncey St
    Participant

Do you have examples of model owners that you would prefer to own the Patriots? Is there another owner in sports that has had a ‘deflategate’ type incident and how he/she handled it to your liking? Were you similarly upset when Brady finally conceded in his suspension? Do you ‘like’ Brady?

i have to ask. who are these questions directed to?

Who cares? There hasn’t been a good purse-swinger in here since Ozzie died! Fight!

Viewing 8 posts - 276 through 283 (of 283 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar