Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 2/18 — 2/24/19 Weekly Thread

This topic contains 282 replies, has 38 voices, and was last updated by  328 Chauncey St 5 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 283 total)
  • Author

Humphrey
    Participant

If you do a search on “North Andover’s Own Patrick” some good exchanges come up, such as the BSMW version of Feliz Navidad.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Suzy
    Participant

Nick seems to have been a very good and nice man, a loving father and gramps. It’s terrible that he never had an opportunity to step back from his job and just enjoy baseball for what it is — shifts and analytics and all. His loyalty to Bobby Valentine drove me up the wall, but perhaps the two men are/were genuine friends (although the words “genuine” and “Bobby Valentine” are seldom found in the same sentence). Maybe his good nature was a bit of a handicap in a line of work where persistence and a bit of ruthlessness in pursuit of insight are valuable traits. I hope that Alex Speier inherits the national baseball beat; he seems like a nice guy, too, but he is driven and 99 percent of the stuff he writes is insightful and interesting.

Great post, CS. Just what I was thinking but as usual, you say it beautifully and better.

Nick certainly got a lot of heartfelt & genuine love on Twitter–the word “kind” came up repeatedly. He was obviously a decent & good man. So sorry for his family–he should have enjoyed many more years with them.

Couldn’t agree more about Speier–the guy is excellent at what he does and offers real insight and analysis. Even during his brief in-game appearances he wipes the floor with every other baseball writer in town.  Looking forward to more of him.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Don’t really remember any huge issues with Nick as Pats beat guy other than some insidious moralizing about how writers were treated, being horribly wrong what directions the team should go, and just being plain lazy. He was pretty nondescript, and I never looked to him for insight. Can’t recall all the times he’d respond to a mailbag question with “Ask Stacey James” as if a fan would actually do that. Reiss came on the beat and immediately would ask Stacey James himself,  then actually respond to the question. I remember feeling happy somebody who gave a damn about the sport and the team now had the beat.

Our Nick impressions (Axe Nick :-(   ) at the time are lost to the BSMW platform change. I assume he was a Bledsoe Krishna, but for the life of me can’t remember. That he would embrace Bobby Valentine speaks volumes.

The colleague tributes coming in are mostly saying he was a nice guy, good husband and father, etc. Some say he was this great baseball writer; was he? Shank certainly did the “write what I’m supposed to write when somebody dies” piece. Like everything else Shank writes, you instinctively doubt his authenticity. He’s the android doing the “This is how a human would react, right?” bit.

I like what CS wrote above: Nick would have enjoyed the games more if he never had to write about them. From everything the seamheads here have written about Nick, I’m left wondering what he was doing in that job in the first place.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Suzy
    Participant

Don’t really remember any huge issues with Nick as Pats beat guy other than some insidious moralizing about how writers were treated, being horribly wrong what directions the team should go, and just being plain lazy. He was pretty nondescript, and I never looked to him for insight. Can’t recall all the times he’d respond to a mailbag question with “Ask Stacey James” as if a fan would actually do that. Reiss came on the beat and immediately would ask Stacey James himself, then actually respond to the question. I remember feeling happy somebody who gave a damn about the sport and the team now had the beat.

Our Nick impressions (Axe Nick :-( ) at the time are lost to the BSMW platform change. I assume he was a Bledsoe Krishna, but for the life of me can’t remember. That he would embrace Bobby Valentine speaks volumes.

The colleague tributes coming in are mostly saying he was a nice guy, good husband and father, etc. Some say he was this great baseball writer; was he? Shank certainly did the “write what I’m supposed to write when somebody dies” piece. Like everything else Shank writes, you instinctively doubt his authenticity. He’s the android doing the “This is how a human would react, right?” bit.

I like what CS wrote above: Nick would have enjoyed the games more if he never had to write about them. From everything the seamheads here have written about Nick, I’m left wondering what he was doing in that job in the first place.

Yeah, does Shank actually recognize good human qualities in others that he himself lacks, or is he just writing what he thinks he should? Tough to tell with that buffoon.

Agreed with your assessment of Nick the baseball writer/”reporter.” He was lazy AF and his Sunday Notes column was embarrassingly awful and useless. After all that time with the Globe in its salad days, a sense of entitlement had crept in as much as it had with Shank–the difference is that Nick was just lazy and unmotivated, not a trolling & angry douchebag bent on sucking the joy out of sports and shitting on the fans.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

These things always trigger thoughts about whether it’s better to just unexpectedly and instantly drop dead out of nowhere at a slightly younger age, or live a lot longer but see the slow and painful decline coming. I’m never really sure what i think about it.

Dying at 62 really sucks any way you slice it, I guess.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Feejis
    Participant

These things always trigger thoughts about whether it’s better to just unexpectedly and instantly drop dead out of nowhere at a slightly younger age, or live a lot longer but see the slow and painful decline coming. I’m never really sure what i think about it.

Dying at 62 really sucks any way you slice it, I guess.

I was thinking about this yesterday. Given how families have to deal with a completely unexpected thing like this, I’d have a hard time saying that’d be my preference. No chance to say goodbye, get affairs in order or anything. It’s basically like a car wreck or a random homicide.

I know I wouldn’t want to have to deal with that were it one of my friends or family.

3 users thanked author for this post.

My brother is a musician in FL and a big baseball fan. From time to time, he’d get these sax quintet gigs at spring training games. Cafardo came up to talk to him once at the Braves spring training stadium. He was a former sax player himself and just wanted to shoot the shit. My brother was shocked Nick was only 62, relatively the same age as my brother.

Nick B
    Participant

Just got a news alert that Bob Kraft is being charged in a Florida prostitution arrest

the media, see those evil Patriots taking the shine away from a Sox beloved writer.

• This reply was modified 6 months ago by  Nick B.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

So much for the slow news day

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

Deleted (thanks WordPress)

Holy shit!

Shank just climaxed

7 users thanked author for this post.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Am i a bad person for being happy it’s the owner and not a coach or player?   lol

5 users thanked author for this post.

Gimp
    Participant

How will we explain this to the children!

Meh.  So Kraft got caught in a rub-n-tug.  Not exactly earth-shattering.

Lebron
    Participant

Got this Chiefs fan in my office who randomly out of nowhere texted me last night ’53 is a cheap shot.’  Huhwha?  Says he’s rewatching the AFCCG and Van Not is a cheap shot artist.  Uh, OK.  Now he’s crowing about Kraft being a ‘criminal!’  Yeah, an old billionaire widower asked for a happy ending.  Lock Him Up!

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Very sloppy Mr. Kraft. Why not spend the dough and have them at least send one over to his hotel room.

Lefty

This makes me want to bring up that Boston prostitute who went to jail years ago and was forbidden from saying who her John was.   She was released with a court order not to disclose, which is more than a little unusual.  Rumors at the time often mentioned Kraft.

3 users thanked author for this post.

jforb
    Participant

Got this Chiefs fan in my office who randomly out of nowhere texted me last night ’53 is a cheap shot.’ Huhwha? Says he’s rewatching the AFCCG and Van Not is a cheap shot artist. Uh, OK. Now he’s crowing about Kraft being a ‘criminal!’ Yeah, an old billionaire widower asked for a happy ending. Lock Him Up!

Anyone here ever rewatched a playoff game the Pats lost? Weirdo.

7 users thanked author for this post.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

So I assume that Rikki done lost his number?   :ohmy:

Presumption of innocence and all that, but after all that pandering to Goodell and the other owners in 2015-16, I wish I were surprised.  I hadn’t seen his ESPN post-Soupey interview with Berman, Moss and Young until the other night but he was a real ramblin’ wreck and it looked like they were incredibly relieved that Edelman showed up so they could kick Kraft off the set.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Shank just climaxed

That’s irony for you: “Amos Alonzo Stagfilm” supposedly paid for the trick, and Shank gets the happy ending.   :lol:

Lebron
    Participant

Got this Chiefs fan in my office who randomly out of nowhere texted me last night ’53 is a cheap shot.’ Huhwha? Says he’s rewatching the AFCCG and Van Not is a cheap shot artist. Uh, OK. Now he’s crowing about Kraft being a ‘criminal!’ Yeah, an old billionaire widower asked for a happy ending. Lock Him Up!

Right?  Said the same thing.

Suzy
    Participant

Very sloppy Mr. Kraft. Why not spend the dough and have them at least send one over to his hotel room.

Exactly. Wow, how embarrassing.  :ohmy:

Kraft is a randy old salt!  :lol:

stabbed by foulke
    Participant

So much for getting any work done this afternoon.

Lefty

This will be when Jonathan tries the full Buddy Leroux and declares himself owner.

chicowalker
    Participant

Or “won” but I know I’m in the minority… :lol:

Claude45
    Participant

Well, Kraft may start wishing he punched out at 62 if this keeps up.

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 283 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar