Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 2/22/2018 Daily Thread

This topic contains 50 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  Fred West Lynn 9 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 51 total)
  • Author

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

Glad to know that Bob Halloran and Steve Burton and a lot of others got in some golf yesterday. The only thing more exciting than golf on TV is people talking about golf on TV.

Have at it!

Humphrey
    Participant

At least after a few more days we won’t have to see any headlines from the Globe’s “Hall of Fame Baseball Writer” reporting from Spring Training.   He goes home before anything competitive actually happens.

Kevin
    Participant

My sources on Malcolm Butler:

Women, weed, curfew: all true.

Confrontation with a coach: unconfirmed.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Good on the US women’s hockey team, winning gold in the shootout after two comebacks over Canada last night. Great resiliency!

EDIOT: Only one comeback … but after 2014 a great win …

Callahardfoul
    Participant

My sources on Malcolm Butler: Women, weed, curfew: all true. Confrontation with a coach: unconfirmed.

Hang on…need more info stat.

InThisTown
    Participant

My sources on Malcolm Butler: Women, weed, curfew: all true. Confrontation with a coach: unconfirmed.

Is your source a former poster with an affinity for the unwrittens of radio?

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

At least after a few more days we won’t have to see any headlines from the Globe’s “Hall of Fame Baseball Writer” reporting from Spring Training. He goes home before anything competitive actually happens.

The “Voice of the Fans” needs to be far away from any exertion. If he sees athletes working at their profession, it brings up too many thoughts of how little he works. Like another Ambassador for the Grande Olde Game, Michael Barnicle, he wants his observations to reflect the fans’ experience: games are observed from a press box with a security guard, stocked with free food, and your parking is comped.  Shank no doubt has trouble hiding his pleasure at their inferiority to him; he doesn’t want to be observed chortling to himself that 98% of those pampered millionaires will never be the Hall of Fame, while he IS.

Callahardfoul
    Participant

and the miracle of hair regeneration?

Kevin
    Participant

No, a guy who works on the sideline during the games. Well, his mom actually. :lol:

And by “sources” I mean in the Ron Borges style: one source.

Callahardfoul
    Participant

I got to hand it to Kevin. Ratings get low around here, and he’s got breaking news to bring everyone back.

Spill it!

InThisTown
    Participant

Is this someone down at Del Boca Vista?  :lol:

Kevin
    Participant

I got to hand it to Kevin. Ratings get low around here, and he’s got breaking news to bring everyone back.

Spill it!

That’s all I know. Women (don’t know if they’re professionals or not) and weed in his room at curfew time.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

I got to hand it to Kevin. Ratings get low around here, and he’s got breaking news to bring everyone back. Spill it!

I’ll have you know we’re #1 in the ratings in the all important ‘bloodthirsty male shut-ins ages 18-79’ demographic.

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Kevin
    Participant

Is this someone down at Del Boca Vista? 😆

Ventured outside the park for this scoop! I’m working! :lol:

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

No, a guy who works on the sideline during the games. Well, his mom actually. 😆 And by “sources” I mean in the Ron Borges style: one source.

Speaking of Broges has the Herald officially made him take a long walk on a short pier or will they let him ‘retire’?

Participant

Never knew this but I like it.

“As Pierce tells it, Noah told Garnett that he had looked up to him growing up and even had Garnett’s poster on his wall. His idol responded by dropping an f-bomb on the youngster.”

InThisTown
    Participant

BREAKING: Mrs. Goodwin barely waited four months after her husband died to start dating the swinging 83 year old that lives over at Pelican Cove.

chicowalker
    Participant

Kevin, is your wife with you? I hear that 50 year old yoga instructor has a new hip…

Friars game called last night with 13:00 left because the ice underneath was melting.  End of the game is being played today at noon at Alumni Hall on campus (capacity, app 1800, only students and faculty allowed) :ozzy:    I had just bought a 20 ounce Limbo IPA (abv 7.6), only the 2nd beer I’ve drank in a month.  I’m pretty much a lightweight now, but I’m also cheap, so I wasn’t wasting that thing.  Gunned it down as best I could, got home to a full on meltdown by my daughter with my wife exhausted, and me pretty much useless :blink:   :pk:

Kevin
    Participant

Evan Drelich went from “Who?” to “What a cvnt!” faster than anybody in BSMW history.

Beaker
    Participant

Evan Drelich went from “Who?” to “What a cvnt!” faster than anybody in BSMW history.

Sounds like I should be glad to still be in the “Who?” camp

Participant

He’s very pissy that Price and his teammates would circle the wagons against the media. :lol:

If true, think what this says about Belichick. He won’t give the reason because he doesn’t want to fuck over Butler the free agent. He’s perfectly happy to take the heat for the decision. Everybody gunning for Belichick has been waiting for this, and are milking it for all it’s worth.  Stephen A had something today saying it’s proof free agents should think twice before joining the Patriots. Belichick doesn’t care. He’ll take the bullet.

How quickly do you think Fisher would have thrown Butler under the bus? 20 seconds? 10?

Suzy
    Participant

At least after a few more days we won’t have to see any headlines from the Globe’s “Hall of Fame Baseball Writer” reporting from Spring Training. He goes home before anything competitive actually happens.

The “Voice of the Fans” needs to be far away from any exertion. If he sees athletes working at their profession, it brings up too many thoughts of how little he works. Like another Ambassador for the Grande Olde Game, Michael Barnicle, he wants his observations to reflect the fans’ experience: games are observed from a press box with a security guard, stocked with free food, and your parking is comped. Shank no doubt has trouble hiding his pleasure at their inferiority to him; he doesn’t want to be observed chortling to himself that 98% of those pampered millionaires will never be the Hall of Fame, while he IS.

Ashamed to admit I read any of his drivel but the other day he was reminiscing about the glory days when “legends” of the press like Gammons (and I forget who else) arrived at spring training, like their arrival signaled something profound. He is a complete fucking loon.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

Sounds like I should be glad to still be in the “Who?” camp

Watched a little bit of that TEC and some stray dogs crapfest on NBCSNE (or whatever. I think I’ll go with LS/MFT) and they were talking about Drelich like he was a titanic presence and the authority on Inside Baseball. Then they cut to him and Accountable Lou in Ft Myers for a whole segment on how Drelich was being disrespected by David Price. Mindroasting!

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

CHB today took a shot at Price for his “Richie Havens” beard. (Surprised he didn’t go “Dick Gregory beard,” but that’s beside the point).  Shitting on someone for their personal appearance is a cheap shot these days, and should be out of bounds for someone who has been quite accurately likened by a poster here to a “pustule.”

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

If true, think what this says about Belichick. He won’t give the reason because he doesn’t want to fuck over Butler the free agent. He’s perfectly happy to take the heat for the decision. Everybody gunning for Belichick has been waiting for this, and are milking it for all it’s worth. Stephen A had something today saying it’s proof free agents should think twice before joining the Patriots. Belichick doesn’t care. He’ll take the bullet. How quickly do you think Fisher would have thrown Butler under the bus? 20 seconds? 10?

Who believes Belichik either knows or cares who Stephen A is?

Coma
    Participant

No, a guy who works on the sideline during the games. Well, his mom actually. 😆 And by “sources” I mean in the Ron Borges style: one source.

By Borges Style, do you mean someone claiming to be this guy’s mom? Or did you actually complete the apparently very difficult task of confirming that the person you were communicating with was who they claimed to be?

Humphrey
    Participant

(edit)  Sorry- missed Lazlo’s post.    I guess that puts me on the same level as Borges.  :wag:

Speaking of Ronnie, the wheels of justice move slowly in his case, eh?   Or they gassed him very, very quietly.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 3 weeks ago by  Humphrey.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

The “Voice of the Fans” needs to be far away from any exertion. If he sees athletes working at their profession, it brings up too many thoughts of how little he works. Like another Ambassador for the Grande Olde Game, Michael Barnicle, he wants his observations to reflect the fans’ experience: games are observed from a press box with a security guard, stocked with free food, and your parking is comped. Shank no doubt has trouble hiding his pleasure at their inferiority to him; he doesn’t want to be observed chortling to himself that 98% of those pampered millionaires will never be the Hall of Fame, while he IS.

Ashamed to admit I read any of his drivel but the other day he was reminiscing about the glory days when “legends” of the press like Gammons (and I forget who else) arrived at spring training, like their arrival signaled something profound. He is a complete fucking loon.

Well, the real point of that is Gammons is in the Press Box Hall of Fame and so is Danny Boy. I understand there’s an anti-Gammons segment here, but in his glory days, he was a very distinctive baseball writer, both in the way he covered the sport and his use of language. Shank clearly wanted to be Gammons and now, like the delusional Jamie in the insurance commercials, he thinks they’re “like equals.” I think he’s unable to understand why he is not afforded the same reverence. The answer, Dan, is that you are a lazy, derivative, and self-important sports columnist who brings nothing — repeat nothing — except ginned-up “controversy to Globe readers.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

I dunno. I don’t think the skaters’ crotches are highlighted enough. Maybe make them neon yellow?

Suzy
    Participant

CHB today took a shot at Price for his “Richie Havens” beard. (Surprised he didn’t go “Dick Gregory beard,” but that’s beside the point). Shitting on someone for their personal appearance is a cheap shot these days, and should be out of bounds for someone who has been quite accurately likened by a poster here to a “pustule.”

Saw that. Cheap shot cunt is clearly *itching* to upset/goad Price into responding so he can then put him “in his place.”   :wag:

BSF34
    Participant

By Borges Style, do you mean someone claiming to be this guy’s mom? Or did you actually complete the apparently very difficult task of confirming that the person you were communicating with was who they claimed to be?

The most important question: Is Batboy real?

Wait, what?

Suzy
    Participant

Well, the real point of that is Gammons is in the Press Box Hall of Fame and so is Danny Boy. I understand there’s an anti-Gammons segment here, but in his glory days, he was a very distinctive baseball writer, both in the way he covered the sport and his use of language. Shank clearly wanted to be Gammons and now, like the delusional Jamie in the insurance commercials, he thinks they’re “like equals.” I think he’s unable to understand why he is not afforded the same reverence. The answer, Dan, is that you are a lazy, derivative, and self-important sports columnist who brings nothing — repeat nothing — except ginned-up “controversy to Globe readers.

Ehh, Gammons can go play in traffic, too. Overrated and thinks he’s some sort of fucking god.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

I dunno. I don’t think the skaters’ crotches are highlighted enough. Maybe make them neon yellow?

The outfits worn by the women’s luge competitors were … uh … revealing.  Almost worthy of the Eye Candy Thread.   :blink:

Lebron
    Participant

Enjoyed those cross country skiers getting the gold, not because it was like “like Norway winning a gold in basketball” according to Bob Ryan, but because whoever skied the last leg and in particular the last hundred or so meters skied her ass off going from third to first.

GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

So two of them shave it bare?

Come back, Regular Brian.

My agenda is truth.

Humphrey
    Participant

Kevin, is your wife with you? I hear that 50 year old yoga instructor has a new hip… Friars game called last night with 13:00 left because the ice underneath was melting. End of the game is being played today at noon at Alumni Hall on campus (capacity, app 1800, only students and faculty allowed) :ozzy: I had just bought a 20 ounce Limbo IPA (abv 7.6), only the 2nd beer I’ve drank in a month. I’m pretty much a lightweight now, but I’m also cheap, so I wasn’t wasting that thing. Gunned it down as best I could, got home to a full on meltdown by my daughter with my wife exhausted, and me pretty much useless :blink: :pk:

My daughter had a game this year that had a similar issue- leaky roof after 3 minutes.    For some strange reason, it seemed like the replay drew a bigger crowd even though it was at 3:45 in the afternoon instead of 6:30.   I think the score was something like 5-3 when the game got stopped.   I was a little surprised that a game that was that short of a game didn’t just get replayed entirely.

Humphrey
    Participant

I simply can’t figure out what Shaughnessy did as a baseball writer that got him any award.    Maybe when he covered baseball it was so annoying that I’ve blocked it out of my otherwise pretty good memory.    It can’t be for that stupid book, can it?

Participant

“I simply can’t figure out what Shaughnessy did as a baseball writer that got him any award.”

Pimped for John Henry Williams for access to a dying man?

Lebron
    Participant

That former President/CEO with the Mavericks sounds like a real Cassanova

At this meal, with ESPN crew members seated nearby, Ussery struck up an unusual conversation. As the woman recalls the exchange, Ussery claimed that he knew what she was going to do over the coming weekend. When the woman asked, confusedly, what Ussery meant, he smiled.

“You’re going to get gang-banged,” he asserted, “aren’t you?”

“No,” the woman responded, caught off-guard. “Actually, I’m going to the movies with friends.”

“No,” Ussery insisted. “You’re definitely getting gang-banged.”

GusChiggins
    Participant

That Norway comparison by Ryan was absurd. Uh Bob, Norway has never competed in basketball at the Olympics.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Just caught one inning of the NU-Sox game, but came away very impressed with the 2018 Red Sox … if only they played in the Colonial Athletic Association.   :smile:

Participant

Where are they “likeability” wise CS?

Lebron
    Participant

I’m getting a head start on my Bryce Harper hatred.  Just in case.

Lebron
    Participant

That Norway comparison by Ryan was absurd. Uh Bob, Norway has never competed in basketball at the Olympics.

Plus in 4 other  events Diggins was close to the podium and this was an event where they thought they had a realistic shot at a medal.  Diggins finished 5th in 3 events and 6th in another.  It wasn’t completely out of nowhere.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Not good. They ganged up on that poor Northeastern freshman RHP from BC High and Dorchester.  Just let him walk the ballpark and didn’t even swing the lumber! No class at all!!!  BTW, “Classy” Steve Lyons is in the booth today!   :dry:

Callahardfoul
    Participant

That former President/CEO with the Mavericks sounds like a real Cassanova

At this meal, with ESPN crew members seated nearby, Ussery struck up an unusual conversation. As the woman recalls the exchange, Ussery claimed that he knew what she was going to do over the coming weekend. When the woman asked, confusedly, what Ussery meant, he smiled. “You’re going to get gang-banged,” he asserted, “aren’t you?” “No,” the woman responded, caught off-guard. “Actually, I’m going to the movies with friends.” “No,” Ussery insisted. “You’re definitely getting gang-banged.”

To be fair, nobody goes to the movies with friends

Hacksaw
    Participant

Not good. They ganged up on that poor Northeastern freshman RHP from BC High and Dorchester. Just let him walk the ballpark and didn’t even swing the lumber! No class at all!!! BTW, “Classy” Steve Lyons is in the booth today! :dry:

Rac Slider back as the third base coach  for the Sox telling  them to take till a strike.

Lebron
    Participant

Breer’s article about free agency is his typical fare, namely he’s not breaking any news that anyone didn’t know, his writing is confusing and terrible, and of course he gets off on some agent addressing his client as “Bro”.  If my agent called me bro I’d fire him on the fucking spot.

Coma
    Participant

Next Winter Olympics, they need to stop being subtle and incorporate some elements of the Star Blazers uniforms. That will make sure everyone knows where they are supposed to be looking.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar