Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 2/24-3/01/2020 Weekly Discussion Thread – Leap Year Day on Deck

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    Coma
    Participant

From PK’s column yesterday:

He posts a tweet from Russell Okung that states “Roger Goodell has the NFL media working double time right now.”

King’s comment was

Okung, the Chargers’ left tackle, is a member of the NFLPA Executive Committee. He tweeted that after NFL owners voted to approve a new collective bargaining proposal with the players.

A player inferring “the NFL media” is in Goodell’s pocket is like Donald Trump saying, “All Democratic politicians lie.”

Yeah, Peter King and company have gone after Goodell and league hard and not forgotten about things like the commissioner lying in court about Rice and Brady, the concussion settlements for retired players, crying poor when it comes to implementing technology that would benefit the game, etc. I guess it’s his standard lack of self awareness, but if King was really critical of the league for the Saints-Catholic church pedophilia connection and he refused to let it go, his access and sources would dry up. Shortly after that, PK would be wherever Gregg Easterbook is and someone like Breer or Klemko would be running FMIA.

In the same column, PK fingerwags JJ Watt – JJ Watt! – for criticizing the new CBA without, King presumes, knowing exactly what’s in it. Maybe he’s right and Watt made his comments without knowledge of the details of the deal. On the other hand, it’s also possible that Watt talked to the Texans union rep or someone else in the know, learned information that wasn’t publicly available at the time and then voiced his displeasure on social media. King doesn’t know either way, but he assumes a player he otherwise loves is wrong because he spoke against the CBA.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    chicowalker
    Participant

I used to be a sucker for the “guard from NYC” stuff, especially following college recruiting.  I remember when the bloom started to come off the rose for me- Felipe Lopez, who was the next Jordan coming out of HS, and at St. Johns he was..fine?  By the time URI had secured a lesser Marbury of their very own (Zach) I had zero expectations, and was rewarded thusly

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

Hysterical.  I remember being so excited when Arizona successfully recruited Khalid Reeves.  “He’s from New York, he’s gotta be great!”  Just looked him up, was actually the 12th pick in ’94 and hung in the NBA for 6 years, averaged almost 8 ppg.  Zero recollection of that.

Lebron
    Participant

Why would I have an issue with a player saying ‘fuck 17 games’ without knowing the useless details?  Players make enough money, they don’t want the extra game or games.

Pete can’t even ask “where’s the air pressure data we were promised?” let alone “so, you’re OK with a team using its resources to advise the Catholic Church how do market the benefits of pedophila?”  Yet he scoffs at the notion that the media is in the bag for the league?  Come the fuck on.  In the NBA you have Brian Windhorst tweeting daily missives about what’s so wonderful about the league, because of course he is.  He works for the major broadcast partner of the league, as does Pete.  Is there really a national writer that is asking or investigating issues with the league?  You get local writers that might address issues with their team, but a national writer basically ‘taking on’ the league?  Of course there isn’t.

jforb
    Participant

Okung’s next tweet specifically calls out Rapoport, so he’s literally talking NFL-run media.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by jforb.
    chicowalker
    Participant

Hysterical. I remember being so excited when Arizona successfully recruited Khalid Reeves. “He’s from New York, he’s gotta be great!” Just looked him up, was actually the 12th pick in ’94 and hung in the NBA for 6 years, averaged almost 8 ppg. Zero recollection of that.

Being the provincial Rhode Islander that I am, I’ll still pump Shammgod’s tires, but I went back and looked at his numbers.  About 10ppg, 35% shooter…and went pro a year too early.  Speaking of Arizona, part of said rabbit hole was looking up the game the Friars lost to Arizona in OT to go to the final four.  I forgot Jason Terry was on that team, probably because other notion beyond the blinding hatred for Bibby/Simon is impossible.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

If we were to take the best 80’s Lakers or Celtics team to the modern day in a time machine and had them acclimate to the new rules over some scouting and training time and have them join the league, we would wonder whether they could contend for the title.

If we were to take the best Ewing Knicks team and do the same, we would wonder whether they could win 30 games.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Coma
    Participant

Why would I have an issue with a player saying ‘fuck 17 games’ without knowing the useless details? Players make enough money, they don’t want the extra game or games.

Pete can’t even ask “where’s the air pressure data we were promised?” let alone “so, you’re OK with a team using its resources to advise the Catholic Church how do market the benefits of pedophila?” Yet he scoffs at the notion that the media is in the bag for the league? Come the fuck on. In the NBA you have Brian Windhorst tweeting daily missives about what’s so wonderful about the league, because of course he is. He works for the major broadcast partner of the league, as does Pete. Is there really a national writer that is asking or investigating issues with the league? You get local writers that might address issues with their team, but a national writer basically ‘taking on’ the league? Of course there isn’t.

If Watt tweeted out something positive about the deal in the same time frame, like “It’s not perfect, but no CBA ever will be. Let’s get this done,” there’s no way PK would criticize him for not knowing all the details. If anything, he’d praise him for supporting the NFLPA leadership and showing leadership to his fellow players.

Lebron
    Participant

That Arizona team had more depth up front than in the backcourt, I think Terry was really the only guard off the bench especially in the tournament.  They had really great speed, and probably peaked a year early.  They were a terror in ’98 until they couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn in the regional final against Utah.  Andre Miller.

Lebron
    Participant

Pete doesn’t want to cover lockouts, so he’s all in on the great and generous league proposal.  No need for “De” Smith to even read it, just sign.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Mike Eruzione is 65?  That makes sense intellectually but wow.

jforb
    Participant

She’s a hostage right?

Coma
    Participant

It’s not saying much, but compared to his past efforts, Joe doesn’t look terrible in that picture.

I don’t know about the wisdom of a one income family going to Disney, but when you’re already paying for Bruins season tickets, I guess it’s possible.

Yahtzee
    Participant

T-shirts aren’t bad as far as those things go.

Lebron
    Participant

One of the sales managers at work is a complete douchebag.  Like the type of guy that runs to your boss trying to get you in some sort of trouble if you don’t do what he wants.  Namely if you actually do your job.  Someone googled him and found his twitter account and the guy fancies himself as a consumer advocate, his timeline is full of him namely complaining about each and every company he’s ever bought something from, and naturally completes his tweets with #epicfail.  I spit water everywhere when I saw it firsthand.  I can only imagine if Gill is in an office setting he runs to various bosses complaining about this person and that person, similar to how he complains about every other fucking thing.

Lebron
    Participant

He was the old guy on the team, as I think he graduated BU in ’77.  So the math works.

The team they ran out there in ’84 was a pretty solid team – Chris Chelios, Pat LaFontaine, Ed Olczyk, Al Iafrate, they ran back Verchota and Harrington from the ’80 team.  Finished 1-2-2.

Lebron
    Participant

Buzz Schneider is also 65, I knew one guy on the ’80 team was also part of the ’76 team.

Coma
    Participant

Severino needs Tommy John surgery and is done for the year. Brian Cashman and Aaron Judge both claim that the Astros sign stealing could have caused the injury.

Lebron
    Participant

Russo mangles facts and has his favorites – hadn’t put 2 and 2 together until today on why he hates Tony Romo so much, because Romo took his good buddy Pheel’s job in the booth – but he’s been eviscerating the Yankee goombahs calling in to his show screaming about the Astros.  Points out their lack of hitting in those Series as well as I never hear a Yankee fan who wants to hand back any titles with guys like Clemens, Giambi or Pettitte on the roster.  Granted he hates the Yankees because his father was a Giants fan and he’s one himself, but hey a useful idiot is a useful idiot.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Last night I clicked on the MLB Network channel for my first “taste” of baseball in 2020. It’s a closeup of Mookie Betts in a Dodger uni and the announcer (not Steiner or Monday — I don’t know who it was but it must have been the LA feed from spring training) is waxing orgasmic about what a special player he is and how great it is that the Dodgers have him.

I clicked off. It’s going to be a long fucking summer.

Humphrey
    Participant

This debate is entertaining except when Warren talks, then I want to throw a rock through the television.

Yahtzee
    Participant

The only person I’m listening to on the Tokyo Olympics is Dick Pound.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

T-shirts aren’t bad as far as those things go.

I just got back from a Disney trip and those custom shirts are everywhere. I’m sure there’s a website that you choose the logo and type in the name with that Disney font the only option, so you don’t have to be impressed with his design skills or anything.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Don’t worry.

Lebron
    Participant

I can’t believe Dick Pound is still around, thought he was old as fuck during the Lance Armstrong stuff.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 77 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar