Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 2/24-3/01/2020 Weekly Discussion Thread – Leap Year Day on Deck

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    Lefty

I thought this was an interesting self aware tweet from a local mediot, Jimmy Murphy, who covers the. Bruins and calls himself a “multi media reporter”.  Addressing a tweet from NHL player Robin Lehrer essentially calling a Chicago reporter a liar, Murphy said:

” Good on Lehner here. Fans need to realize that teams feed narratives to reporters and reporters do a favor for a favor down the road. Lehner should be paid what he deserves and that’s more than Blackhawks were offering. He earned it!”

I wonder which reporters locally he feels carry water for favors.  Usually these tools deny the obvious truth in that.

chicowalker
    Participant

Dick Pound? :lol:

Coming back from camping in NH around 96 or so, I was compelled to steal one of this guy’s lawn signs to hang on the wall

Participant

Dick Trickle and Dick Pole round out the Mount Rushmore of Dick’s.

Lebron
    Participant

Dick Hertz from Holden!

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Big Fat O
    Participant

Dick Hertz from Holden!

A fan favorite of Red Sox fans around here Joe,

Coma
    Participant

I probably told this before, but my Dick story:

Maybe 15 years ago, a bunch of us in the office were standing around on a Monday morning talking about the weekend. One woman, Kathy, is married to Richard, who goes by Dick. So she’s talking about this trip they took to NH “We went to see one of Dick’s college friends” “Dick did all the driving” and so on. Every time she says her husband’s name, this guy Scott is doing a poor job of stifling his laughter.  I get it. Hearing “Dick wanted to go out for Italian” is funny, but we’re at work and none of us really know Kathy that well. She doesn’t seem to notice Scott covering his mouth and hunching over or if she did, she didn’t acknowledge it. She finished her story, someone else spoke and we eventually went back to our desks. Scott’s explanation was that he couldn’t help it. He wasn’t expecting to hear “Dick” so many times and then couldn’t stop laughing after he started.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Coma
    Participant

I saw on Twitter yesterday that there was a lot of negative reaction to ESPN cancelling some show I barely heard of and never watched. A reason given for the cancellation was low ratings. If you’re a coach who can’t win or a player who can’t produce, no one sheds a tear when you get fired or cut. If you’re a media member who isn’t interesting enough to draw ratings to your show, your cancellation is a tragedy that we should all mourn.

NASCL
    Participant

Are people panicking more about Brady or corona virus right now?  I can’t keep up.

6 users thanked author for this post.
    GusChiggins
    Participant

I see Darlington is now saying he would be ‘stunned’ if Brady returns. First off, who is this guy? Last I saw him he was writing love notes to Aaron Rogers on Twitter. But I note his use of ‘stunned’. If Brady returns he will just say I never said it was a lock he would leave. So you can’t kick him while he’s down or you’d just be a Pats fanboy.

Just more awful sportz media.

Participant

I see Darlington is now saying he would be ‘stunned’ if Brady returns. First off, who is this guy? Last I saw him he was writing love notes to Aaron Rogers on Twitter. But I note his use of ‘stunned’. If Brady returns he will just say I never said it was a lock he would leave. So you can’t kick him while he’s down or you’d just be a Pats fanboy.

Just more awful sportz media.

After he says he’d be stunned, he couched it with “people think he still might show up in Belichick’s office and stay with the Patriots”.

Either way he was right at the time.

:lol:

chicowalker
    Participant

Has there ever been a free agent, in any sport, that 100% was resigning with his own team, no need to even think about it? Especially when the money was about the same? Jesus, I would guess that there will be speculation about Davis returning to the Lakers next summer (assuming he doesn’t sign an extension) despite his very public courting of being traded there and them being able to offer way more than anyone else.  It’s the nature of the game.

Lebron
    Participant

Darlington was a Dolphins guy for a while, was at NFL Network then now at ESPN.  Like all of these people, he doesn’t actually talk to anyone.

How could you be ‘stunned’ if a free agent re-signs with the team he’s been a part of for 20 fucking years?  That qualifies as ‘stunning?’

Participant

Darlington was a Dolphins guy for a while, was at NFL Network then now at ESPN. Like all of these people, he doesn’t actually talk to anyone.

How could you be ‘stunned’ if a free agent re-signs with the team he’s been a part of for 20 fucking years? That qualifies as ‘stunning?’

Jeff Darlington, June 2013

“No matter what happens from here, the Patriots are going to have to deal with distractions and, potentially, players missing time. Meanwhile, the Dolphins will be looking to jump up the AFC East standings, taking a swing at the reigning division champions, especially if the Patriots’ offense does take a step back.

It’s interesting to see at least one national NFL reporter, even if he does have a background of covering the Dolphins, see a vulnerability with the Patriots.”

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Speaking of ‘Stunned’, I’m stunned Steven Seagal made it back into the news for some BS Bitcoin shenanigans. I figured we’d heard the last of him until he died or got the Corona Virus.

Lebron
    Participant

That’s like when Don Johnson came out of nowhere hauling around some exorbitant amount of cash.  I think it was some misunderstanding or it didn’t go down as it was initially reported, but ‘stunning’ nevertheless that he got back into the news.  Jump started a few gigs on HBO.

Participant

Gee, this would be a shame…..

“Despite being 22 points clear, Liverpool could yet miss out on the Premier League title if coronavirus cuts short the season. Jurgen Klopp  and his side have ‘no guarantee’ that they would still be crowned champions should the season end prematurely due to the scale of the virus outbreak, according to the Telegraph.”

jforb
    Participant

Whole of the UK would have to be infected in the next month for them not to have clinched before they shut down most likely, so probably not happening.

Lebron
    Participant

I think this is where we invoke legacy poster Chief’s quote along the lines of “if I’m going to lose half my 401k I should at least get a divorce out of it.”

3 users thanked author for this post.
    jforb
    Participant

I see the world’s worst person is making us feel sorry for other awful people (and not just because of possible health issues) :blink:

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Shank in openly rooting for Brady to go elsewhere. Color me shocked. At least 75% of the people that click on his shit have to be hate reading by this point.

Lebron
    Participant

Impressive in that both people are screaming pieces of shit.

chicowalker
    Participant

These twats know that free agency hasn’t started yet? The speculation is their fault.  If it was April 28th and he hadn’t decided, that would be different

Coma
    Participant

Weren’t the results of MLB’s investigation into the Red Sox supposed to be announced last Friday? The Men of the Grand Old Game have turned this into an NFL production.

Lefty

Weren’t the results of MLB’s investigation into the Red Sox supposed to be announced last Friday? The Men of the Grand Old Game have turned this into an NFL production.

The Red Sox need more time for post-report merchandising.   Need to make enough hats and T Shirts to say “America’s Most Beloved Unindicted Team” or alternatively, “It was all Cora, not our likeable team”.

jforb
    Participant

Does the 03-04 Arsenal team break out the champagne?

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 77 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar