Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 2/27/2018 Daily Thread – Badges for Participation?

This topic contains 56 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  Blinded By The Lombardis 9 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 57 total)
  • Author

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

Is it true that at 10:57 on Tuesday Feb. 27 there have been no posts before this paltry one?

Major Intangibles
    Participant

Board thinks they can just flip a switch, come back with a winning thread in the second half.  :ozzy:

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

NASCL
    Participant

Tiny Weather Lady is pointing at Chico.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

I will definitely miss this board whenever its plug is pulled.

I have involuntarily sprayed so much coffee out of my mouth and nostrils (yech) laughing out loud over the years that I have to buy a new keyboard every couple of years.

:sad onion:

Hacksaw
    Participant

Norman Wilson ashamed of us “Just another lame ass board with a bunch of weak ass posters.”

• This reply was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by  Hacksaw.

Lebron
    Participant

Don’t recall ever seeing Orange on the weather map.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Sadly, Norman has joined Jimmy Rebhorn and Barbaro and countless others in our Not-Coming-Down-for-Breakfast Hall of Fame.

NASCL
    Participant

Never heard of the Indian actress who drowned in the bathtub.

I’ll wait for the Dateline NBC special on the husband.

NASCL
    Participant

Would be pretty good if they put all Lesser Towns on a weather map, if only for a day.

Hazy, hot and humid in Islington tomorrow.

jforb
    Participant

Pretty standard now. Presumably because of the airport having a weather station.

Lebron
    Participant

America’s preeminent football writer on the Marcus Peters trade

One team made an offer of a mid-round pick, laughable for a player of Peters’ age and stature. (My guess is that was Cleveland or Indianapolis.)

Really, where else can you get that kind of speculation?  Also Pete says they called every team, and only 3 teams expressed interest.  So why is the offer of a mid round pick laughable as you have an obviously desperate seller?

Hacksaw
    Participant

Never heard of the Indian actress who drowned in the bathtub. I’ll wait for the Dateline NBC special on the husband.

Read one about a woman in San Diego who was found naked,  gagged, both hands and feet tied the coroner said it was a suicide.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/courts/sd-me-zahau-trial-20180226-story.html

InThisTown
    Participant

A Xxx Xxxxx front brings a lot of snow. Sniff. Ahem. Allegedly.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

12 posts in less than 30 minutes. The board isn’t dead yet!

Claude45
    Participant

America’s preeminent football writer on the Marcus Peters trade

One team made an offer of a mid-round pick, laughable for a player of Peters’ age and stature. (My guess is that was Cleveland or Indianapolis.)

Really, where else can you get that kind of speculation? Also Pete says they called every team, and only 3 teams expressed interest. So why is the offer of a mid round pick laughable as you have an obviously desperate seller?

Cue the post from Petey 8 months from now when Peters melts down in LA and he tells us you can’t give up a 2nd round pick for a guy with his background.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

12 posts in less than 30 minutes. The board isn’t dead yet!

And hey, who’s to say Nopointe won’t remember what his password is soon? A lot can happen.

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Ironhead
    Participant

More board posts, less tweets.  Let’s do this.

Lebron
    Participant

I saw a Shick post last night in the picture bunker.

They counted us out a dozen times!

Lebron
    Participant

In the end, Peters’ temper and disposition probably cost him a long career in Kansas City.

Probably?  He got traded and according to your intrepid reporting they were desperate to unload him because of his temper and disposition.  There isn’t any ‘probably’ about it.

Lebron
    Participant

Robert KlemkoNFL
    The Next Russell Wilson? Breaking Down Mayfield’s Tape

Christ everyone and their brother is ‘breaking down tape’ although I guess it’s better than breaking into a cabbie’s vehicle and assaulting him/jacking the cab.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Where’s LJ’s latest “Masterpiece”? That usually gets posting numbers up.

Feejis
    Participant

Hi Teddy do the exciting young Eagles have a chance to make the NCAAs this year? I’ll hang up and listen.

Ironhead
    Participant

Hannable’s piece on Gronkowski today on EEI.com is among the worst things I’ve ever read.  Haggerty’s non-sensical screed from a few years ago was more coherent.

Suzy
    Participant

In the end, Peters’ temper and disposition probably cost him a long career in Kansas City.

Probably? He got traded and according to your intrepid reporting they were desperate to unload him because of his temper and disposition. There isn’t any ‘probably’ about it.

The level of my pure, intense Fatty hatred can’t be healthy.  :ozzy:   :pk:   :wag:

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Bruins to be tested now: Bergeron out two-plus weeks with a fractured foot.   :ohmy:

BrianInLA
    Participant

NFL considering changing PI to 15 yards instead of spot foul. This will essentially end Jumpball Joe’s career. I’m sure its because of the Cooks PI call in the Jaguars game. It works in college but I think it would be a disaster in the pros unless they have an intentional PI that would be a spot foul and a regular PI that would be 15 yards. Of course then they’d have even more controversy than they have now as it would be a ref’s decision. So basically whatever they do will end up being worse than now.

stabbed by foulke
    Participant

Bruins to be tested now: Bergeron out two-plus weeks with a fractured foot. :ohmy:

I like Riley Nash, but not with Marchand and Pastrnak. I guess that explains the Wingels trade since he’ll slot in with Heinen and Backes.

Lebron
    Participant

NFL reminds me of all the shitty companies that I worked for that went through annual re-orgs and had sizzlin’ hot ‘strat’ plans.  All driven by some whiney cunto or group of whiney cuntos and did nothing but create more problems.  It’s over, that league is dogshit.  I never thought I’d be happy about that, but I’m looking forward to it at this point.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

The Suzy Haiku:

Suzy. Not healthy.
    Doctors live in my building;
    It’s in Manhattan

Suzy
    Participant

The Suzy Haiku: Suzy. Not healthy. Doctors live in my building; It’s in Manhattan

InThisTown
    Participant

As part of Board Infrastructure Week I shall bring back an old bit over each of the next three days.

Humphrey
    Participant

I’d love to be where the 28/Hartford is, that’s all I know.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by  Humphrey.

Lebron
    Participant

So Jerruh is going to appeal and Goodell is going to hear the appeal?   He’ll lose then follow the same process that Brady and Elliot tried, then he’ll end up getting stuck with all of those legal fees as well.

jforb
    Participant

As part of Board Infrastructure Week I shall bring back an old bit over each of the next three days.

So we’ll finally learn what happened to Mike and Merle on the way to Phoenix?

InThisTown
    Participant

I’d love to be where the 28/Hartford is, that’s all I know.

The view from Oyster Bay is clamtastic I’d imagine.

chicowalker
    Participant

or what remains of him :-(

Lebron
    Participant

Potential NFL rule changes–>
    Pro-offense:
    •In-game ejections for targeting (from CFB)
    •Re-emphasis of illegal contact (to increase scoring)
    •Relaxing catch rule (no longer need to possess thru ground)
    Pro-defense:
    •Max-15 yds on pass interference penalties

Of course you’d adopt the targeting rule from college, it’s worked so well there.  Good, more flags.  Eh, you don’t really need to catch it.  And let’s adopt another college rule where you might as well punch the receiver on a deep ball.  I’d bet the house we’re 2 years  away from them adopting college overtime rules and 1 foot in is a catch.

GusChiggins
    Participant

I struggle coming to terms with Ian Rapoport being considered a heavyweight in the sportz media biz. Woah.

Coma
    Participant

Robert KlemkoNFL The Next Russell Wilson? Breaking Down Mayfield’s Tape

Christ everyone and their brother is ‘breaking down tape’ although I guess it’s better than breaking into a cabbie’s vehicle and assaulting him/jacking the cab.

Wasn’t the first Russell Wilson found in the third round? If I’m going to take Mayfield with a high first round pick, I’d want him to be a faster or more accurate Wilson.

It makes a mockery of the concept of “breaking down tape” when people like Klemko, Bedard and Breer say they are doing it and pass along their alleged observations as if they have some sort of insight and authority on the topic. There are coaches and scouts who do the same thing and the number of first round QBs who don’t excel show there’s a limit to how useful it is. The difference is, the people who work for football teams actually face consequences when they’re wrong, unlike the journalists.

Lebron
    Participant

“I think where we are unanimous,” Mara said Tuesday, “[are] plays like the Dez Bryant play in Green Bay, going to the ground, the Calvin Johnson play from a couple of years ago. I think all of us agree that those should be completions. So let’s write the language to make them completions.”

So you’re going to take a result you want from a couple of plays and create rules to enable that?  That Calvin Johnson play was 8 years ago, not ‘a couple.’  It’s all SportsCenter driven bullshit.

chicowalker
    Participant

the new traffic lady at Channel 10 here has some serious crazy eyes

Feejis
    Participant

Completion? Nah. It’ll be like a game of tag. Just get your hands on the ball for a split second and it counts as a catch.

Subjective PI spot foul or 15 yarder will be terrific to watch. I’m sure the refs will do a great job on that.

jforb
    Participant

•Re-emphasis of illegal contact (to increase scoring)

You’ll be shocked to know that since 1966 the top 8 seasons in pts/game are all in the last 10 years.

Lebron
    Participant

They fucked up an obvious running into the kicker/roughing the kicker call in 49, any spot foul/standard call on PI will go smoothly I’m sure.

Claude45
    Participant

I want more than anything in life for the Pats to beat the Steelers on a last minute TD by Gronk identical to the James play from last year.

Please, please let this happen.

Participant

If 25 could lure away Channel 7’s traffic lady it would be the dream team all over again.

See the source image

GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

TEC says Gronk was unhappy before the season and making some vague claims about players in the locker room being upset.

Link

Come back, Regular Brian.

My agenda is truth.

Hacksaw
    Participant

the new traffic lady at Channel 10 here has some serious crazy eyes

Hot damn those soup coolers are bright.

Coma
    Participant

Potential NFL rule changes–> Pro-offense: •In-game ejections for targeting (from CFB) •Re-emphasis of illegal contact (to increase scoring) •Relaxing catch rule (no longer need to possess thru ground) Pro-defense: •Max-15 yds on pass interference penalties

Of course you’d adopt the targeting rule from college, it’s worked so well there. Good, more flags. Eh, you don’t really need to catch it. And let’s adopt another college rule where you might as well punch the receiver on a deep ball. I’d bet the house we’re 2 years away from them adopting college overtime rules and 1 foot in is a catch.

These are all bad ideas, which means we’re going to see several of them implemented.

The targeting rule will be a mess because it will be inconsistently and arbitrarily enforced. Looking at the NCAA stats, targeting penalties have increased each year the rule has been in existence. There were 31 ejections for targeting in 2013 and 188 last year (up from 144 in 2016.) It could be the rule isn’t a deterrent, the officials have been looking for it more each year, or both. Another aspect of targeting is that it’s another play that needs to be reviewed, which slows the game down.

To me, a re-emphasis of illegal contact doesn’t make sense, if for no other reason than they most recently did this in 2014. I had forgotten about that, went to check the year the first time they made illegal contact a point of emphasis and saw a bunch of articles from the offseason 4 years ago. Like a review for targeting, ticky-tack illegal contact penalties are another thing that ruin the flow of the game and make it less watchable/enjoyable.

Jforb pointed out that scoring hasn’t been an issue for the last 8 years or so. In looking at Pro Football Reference (link), the average points per game has been consistently above 20 since 1994 and began to climb to 21 or higher in 2007. This was the first season since 2010 that the avg pts/game was below 22 (22.7 in 2016, 21.7 in 2017.) It’s a drop of a point per game, but there’s no way of knowing if this is the start of a trend or a 1 year blip.

I mentioned that they emphasized illegal contact for the 2014 season. In 2013, the league had it’s 2nd highest average points per game ever, at 23.4. In 2014, with a rule change that they believed would increase scoring, the average dropped to 22.6. That seems to be the NFLs MO. See something, overreact and try and fix it, even though they have no idea if it’s really broken or not or if their solution will solve the problem.

Tom Pepper
    Participant

Has anyone here or somewhere else on the internets put together a list of all the Patriot-related rules changes or “points of emphasis”?

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar