Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 2/28/2018 Daily Thread – Going for 58 posts today!

This topic contains 67 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by  Larry Legend 9 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 51 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Author

Feejis
    Participant

When I think of a profession in which the quality of life is high, the demands of the job are forgiving, and your health is preserved for the long term, pro wrestling is definitely what first comes to mind.

Heard someone discussing Brock Lesnar yesterday. He made $10m and wrestled for a total of about 100 minutes last year.

Gronk wouldn’t make that much, but I’d bet he would be very limited in his actual physical participation. That said, that $ will be there whenever he wants it so another $10-15m guaranteed in the NFL would be tough to walk away from.

chicowalker
    Participant

When I think of a profession in which the quality of life is high, the demands of the job are forgiving, and your health is preserved for the long term, pro wrestling is definitely what first comes to mind.

The Rock, Cena, Austin, etc didn’t become crossover stars because of their wrestling acumen.  They had/have great mic skills, and a hook beyond being goofy. Handled heel turns while remaining popular, etc. Not sure Gronk has all that in him, maybe someone close to him reminded him of that.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Ronda Rousey is right now making her first appearances for WWE.  She has yet to work a match, just coming in on her rep and looking badass.  I’m curious as to whether she’ll actually be good enough to be a going concern in about a year. If I had to bet, I’d say no.  WWE has missed on a lot of can’t miss prospects in recent years.

Lesner has 15+ years of experience on and off with the WWE. He can work 30 minute matches. To make it a career, Gronk will have to become good enough to not get hurt, not hurt anyone else, talk and actually work matches well enough to make people care about him. Even if Gronk has all the tools and is good at wrestling immediately, the WWE may still not be able to maintain him as anything more than a Jag.

Feejis
    Participant

Ronda Rousey is right now making her first appearances for WWE. She has yet to work a match, just coming in on her rep and looking badass. I’m curious as to whether she’ll actually be good enough to be a going concern in about a year. If I had to bet, I’d say no. WWE has missed on a lot of can’t miss prospects in recent years. Lesner has 15+ years of experience on and off with the WWE. He can work 30 minute matches. To make it a career, Gronk will have to become good enough to not get hurt, not hurt anyone else, talk and actually work matches well enough to make people care about him. Even if Gronk has all the tools and is good at wrestling immediately, the WWE may still not be able to maintain him as anything more than a Jag.

Agreed, but I don’t think of it as a long term thing and he probably doesn’t either, if he’s really considering this for health reasons.

Its a quick cash grab for a couple years and then on to a terrible movie career.

Claude45
    Participant

Holley quitting eei as of today. I don’t know if this was know but it seems weird to quit on a Wednesday with no build up.

jforb
    Participant

Claude45
    Participant

End of the month?

ahh yes. I struggle with the calendar.

GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

So NBC Sports Boston will be shut down in…September? Maybe October?

Come back, Regular Brian.

My agenda is truth.

Holley??!! Michael HOLLEY????!!!!!!!

Coma
    Participant

Holley quitting eei as of today. I don’t know if this was know but it seems weird to quit on a Wednesday with no build up.

That’s kind of Holley’s MO with big decisions. Didn’t he get married without telling anyone until he came into work the following Monday?

Major Intangibles
    Participant

He Deathcatted himself.

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Big Fat O
    Participant

Good riddence to Erkel. All he did was want to talk about race and off field crap. Sadly we’re going to be stuck with Keefe who really sucks.

Yahtzee
    Participant

I regret having done a GIS for dead cat.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

Getting it started … today Jolly Old Nick tells us that the 2018 Red Sox already have “a different feeling” in the clubhouse compared to last year’s collection of depressives and malcontents, led by the obviously-tapped-out John Farrell … 😆

I don’t recall Nick being in the forefront of informing Globe readers of unrest inside the clubhouse — other than the constant observation that the team as a whole and each individual player sorely missed the baseball acumen and interpersonal skills of Bobby Valentine.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

The Dan Shaughnessy “Cold Takes Collection.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

What a weird article. The end is near…though they might get to two more Super Bowls. And two French expressions in italics? Yuck!

But you only need 98 more to tie Peter May’s use of el jefe (yes, I know that’s Spanish) when he was writing the basketball notes column.

The Peter May sportwriting career. I had forgotten it ever happened.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

Ronda Rousey is right now making her first appearances for WWE. She has yet to work a match, just coming in on her rep and looking badass. I’m curious as to whether she’ll actually be good enough to be a going concern in about a year. If I had to bet, I’d say no. WWE has missed on a lot of can’t miss prospects in recent years. Lesner has 15+ years of experience on and off with the WWE. He can work 30 minute matches. To make it a career, Gronk will have to become good enough to not get hurt, not hurt anyone else, talk and actually work matches well enough to make people care about him. Even if Gronk has all the tools and is good at wrestling immediately, the WWE may still not be able to maintain him as anything more than a Jag.

Agreed, but I don’t think of it as a long term thing and he probably doesn’t either, if he’s really considering this for health reasons. Its a quick cash grab for a couple years and then on to a terrible movie career.

Personally, I can’t wait for the Gronk remake of “Viva Las Vegas.”

Larry Legend
    Participant

What a weird article. The end is near…though they might get to two more Super Bowls. And two French expressions in italics? Yuck!

But you only need 98 more to tie Peter May’s use of el jefe (yes, I know that’s Spanish) when he was writing the basketball notes column.

The Peter May sportwriting career. I had forgotten it ever happened.

Fuck Peter May

Viewing 18 posts - 51 through 68 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar