Advertisements

This topic contains 133 replies, has 33 voices, and was last updated by  Feejis 1 year ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 134 total)
  • Author

Hacksaw
    Participant

When this team  wins its awesome and when they lose they are still in it no matter what adversity they hit. To follow this team is pure entertainment. I know the players and I am no pro at the x’s and o’s, but for  16 plus weeks every year I learn something new. To lose last night wasn’t fun, but for 18+ years I/we can say we followed something wonderful.

Coma
    Participant

Benching Butler is like real actual not motherfucking around leadership. Either you have standards or you don’t.

I don’t disagree. Belichick owes us nothing, and it drives me crazy the fans so self-entitled to think he owes them something after all these years. Fuck them, the little crybabies who think the world must be presented at their feet every morning. If Belichick benched him, it was for a good reason, be it his health or disciplinary. He doesn’t owe me an explanation. But I’m still gonna wonder.

Someone I know said they felt bad for Butler that Belichick embarrassed him like that. I said use your head. Do you REALLY think he did that to embarrass the guy when he knows it makes his team on the field worse? Does his history make you think he does shit just for the fuck of it?

I’m sure it’s already happened, but someone is going to claim Belichick did this intentionally to screw Butler in free agency. Their theory will be that Belichick knew he couldn’t re-sign Butler, so he benched him on the biggest stage possible to drive potential suitors away, costing Butler money with whatever team he’s on next year. Pettiness and vindictiveness were more important to Belichick than winning a Super Bowl.

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

If it was health, you’d think they would have ran him out once or twice even if he couldn’t go much.

I seem to remember Michaels/Collinsworth mentioning he had been out there on special teams. Of course that was while they were showing a clip of him crying early in the telecast, so…

Edit: Mark Daniels just tweeted he had one special teams snap.

Chief
    Participant

Benching Butler is like real actual not motherfucking around leadership. Either you have standards or you don’t.

I don’t disagree. Belichick owes us nothing, and it drives me crazy the fans so self-entitled to think he owes them something after all these years. Fuck them, the little crybabies who think the world must be presented at their feet every morning. If Belichick benched him, it was for a good reason, be it his health or disciplinary. He doesn’t owe me an explanation. But I’m still gonna wonder.

Someone I know said they felt bad for Butler that Belichick embarrassed him like that. I said use your head. Do you REALLY think he did that to embarrass the guy when he knows it makes his team on the field worse? Does his history make you think he does shit just for the fuck of it?

This.  Anyone who thinks Belichick did this for any reason other than that he thought it gave them the best chance to win, hasn’t been watching this operation very closely over the last 18 years.

Ed Hillel
    Participant

It looked like the “control” the receiver had on that td was about the same as Lewis had on his fumble against jax when he hit the ground.

Feejis
    Participant

This. Anyone who thinks Belichick did this for any reason other than that he thought it gave them the best chance to win, hasn’t been watching this operation very closely over the last 18 years.

Well I don’t really think this is true actually. Butler playing gives them a better chance to win. But sitting him is more aligned with their core philosophy of buying in and not stepping out of line. I guess maybe those things are kinda related. Point is, this wasn’t a half assed decision. At the time I was a little bit surprised he didn’t change it up partway through after results were what they were, but it makes perfect sense why he didn’t.

Ed Hillel
    Participant

I assumed Butler was really sick all week and BB lied on the injury report to fuck with the Eagles to make them prepare for everyone. He had to make butler active or else he would’ve been obvious he lied about his health. I would’ve thought that he might’ve tried butler for a snap or two though. And also given Rowe more of a heads up that he’s gonna start all game.

Callahardfoul
    Participant

They couldn’t get one motherfucking stop the whole 3rd and 4th quarter.  Jordan Richards was abysmal as always.   If Chung moves a 1/2 second earlier on 4th and 1 they win. Chung played fine and the game was not his fault, but they just couldn’t tackle and they couldn’t cover.  I don’t give 2 shits about the Butler benching. He can tackle but couldn’t cover. He wasn’t going to take down Blount.  They were outplayed and outcoached on defense.

They should have scored 54, but Brady and Gronk were amazing and I feel awful for them. Keep the offense intact, add to the defense (Sherman?). They will be back in the Super Bowl next year if they do.  They don’t need any receivers. They don’t need any new runningbacks. If they lose Solder but get back a competent replacement they will be fine on the line. Getting Hightower back would be good. Adding a linebacker under the age of 38 that can play a little would be good.

Winning the Super Bowl next year would be the most impressive feat in NFL history given the context.

Lebron
    Participant

They’ll have Rivers back next year whom they appeared to be high on before his injury.  Both teams’ defenses got shredded.  You wouldn’t have known Fletcher Cox existed last night.  Seemed like every running back on both sides of the ball averaged about 6 a carry.

The Eagles made some great athletic catches and used everyone well.  My biggest fear going into this game was that from what we’ve seen Doug Pederson seems highly competent as a head coach and knows basic shit like managing a clock that the other 30 are still struggling to understand.

That game makes people do weird shit.  One play that still bugs me was the last kickoff return.  What the fuck was that?  Not only a dangerous play, but Lewis is your best kick returner, why take the ball out of his hands?  And burn 7 seconds to go nowhere?  Again that’s where Pederson is competent.  Zim would have had his guy boom it through the end zone.  Here you go, start on the 25 with no time taken off the clock!

stabbed by foulke
    Participant

The same fuckwits crying this morning about Butler being benched wanted Brady benched in favor of heartthrob Jimmy no less than 18 times in the last three years.

Humphrey
    Participant

They couldn’t get one motherfucking stop the whole 3rd and 4th quarter. Jordan Richards was abysmal as always. If Chung moves a 1/2 second earlier on 4th and 1 they win. Chung played fine and the game was not his fault, but they just couldn’t tackle and they couldn’t cover. I don’t give 2 shits about the Butler benching. He can tackle but couldn’t cover. He wasn’t going to take down Blount. They were outplayed and outcoached on defense. They should have scored 54, but Brady and Gronk were amazing and I feel awful for them. Keep the offense intact, add to the defense (Sherman?). They will be back in the Super Bowl next year if they do. They don’t need any receivers. They don’t need any new runningbacks. If they lose Solder but get back a competent replacement they will be fine on the line. Getting Hightower back would be good. Adding a linebacker under the age of 38 that can play a little would be good. Winning the Super Bowl next year would be the most impressive feat in NFL history given the context.

As long as they don’t bat under .500 with the guys coming off IR* (that is, at least half of them are more or less as good as they were) and Bill the GM does a decent job, they should be ok.   Keep wondering if that’s why they ditched Jimmy G because he knew how many pieces he has to bring in.

Specifically, though, defensive 7 and OL need most help.   Not enough depth either area.

*’twould be better if two of those that can still play are named Cannon and Hightower, and the defensive guy they drafted whose name escapes me.

Humphrey
    Participant

Again that’s where Pederson is competent. Zim would have had his guy boom it through the end zone. Here you go, start on the 25 with no time taken off the clock!

Just think, the sainted Mara family blew it on Pederson.   That’s got to be a bit of consolation.

Tommyfw
    Participant

Butler was kicked off his first college team–haven’t ever seen the reason why that happened. He was eventually invited back. No speculation but it is clear Butler is an emotional guy.

I get where ITT is coming from with regard to standards and leadership though. If you build a program based on rules and standards then you don’t enforce them, regardless of who is involved, then you stand for nothing.

Feejis
    Participant

Wondering if Ebner was healthy if he’d have been taking Richards’ snaps.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Again that’s where Pederson is competent. Zim would have had his guy boom it through the end zone. Here you go, start on the 25 with no time taken off the clock!

Just think, the sainted Mara family blew it on Pederson. That’s got to be a bit of consolation.

Eagles fans suck, but the only consolation is that a cursed franchise that has never won the SB before finally won one. Big whoop.

It would have been much worse if it had been the Steelers, Giants, Broncos, etcetera.

Hacksaw
    Participant

The same fuckwits crying this morning about Butler being benched wanted Brady benched in favor of heartthrob Jimmy no less than 18 times in the last three years.

Its the same bunch that  thinks being a baseball manager is just penciling the starting line up.

NASCL
    Participant

On Ertz’s late 4th down catch, I thought he lost control of the ball and didn’t regain it until he was knocked back behind the first down marker.

Hacksaw
    Participant

Schiano new DC of the NEP.

Humphrey
    Participant

Schiano new DC of the NEP.

So how is Callahan going to play this one?

Coma
    Participant

Yes, they lost, but at least the announcing, the officiating, the halftime performance and the commercials were terrible.

To focus on the announcing, Humphrey brought it up last night, but it bears repeating how terrible Collinsworth is. He has the tendency to see something happen on one play then pontificate about the long term effects of that play while the opposite is taking place on the field. One example was Brady missing Gronkowski on the first play of the first drive in the second half. Collinsworth started going on about Brady not seeming like himself, maybe something was wrong with his hand, etc. Meanwhile, Brady completed 4 of his next 5 passes, with all the completions to Gronk, for 68 yards and a TD. Collinsworth did the same thing with Chung when he went out with an injury. Again, it was the worst thing in the world and a huge blow to the Patriots defense. The next drive, Chung is back in there and Collinsworth doesn’t give that any special attention.

Someone mentioned a month or two ago how Collinsworth was trying to be like Romo by pointing out what the defense was showing the offense and what play the offense was likely to run. Maybe Collinsworth always did this, but it stuck out to me how many times mentioned that Brady having the RB go in motion told him if it was a zone or man defense.

On the 4th and 1 conversion by the Eagles, they ran a pick play to free up Ertz. The pick was close enough to the buffer where it can be run legally, so I don’t have an issue with the officials letting it go. Announcing-wise, though, that kind of play is something Collinsworth always harps on when NE runs it. If the Patriots run that to free up Gronk on a key play, it’s guaranteed that Turkey Neck would have been saying “I think the Patriots might have got away with one there…”

One other thing that I thought was poorly done in the broadcast was no replay of the 4th and 5 throw to Gronkowski. Was there a lot of contact? Was it a good no call? It was a 4th down play in the Super Bowl. You would think that would merit a replay.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Who was it that wrote that glowing piece about Brian Flores and how his hard-scrabble upbringing was going to make him the ideal new DC? Ooops.

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

Schiano as DC is still just a rumor. In the last hour, I’ve seen:

• He might be the DC
    • He might be a defensive assistant/HC-in-waiting
    • He might stay at Ohio State

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

This. Anyone who thinks Belichick did this for any reason other than that he thought it gave them the best chance to win, hasn’t been watching this operation very closely over the last 18 years.

Very true. And those folks that think Bill did this to embarrass Butler or hurt his chances in free-agency are insane. If Bill was out to bash Butler on his way out the door he’d publicly go into specifics about the short comings in his game that lead to his benching instead of the boiler plate ‘best chance to win’ mantra.

InThisTown
    Participant

I picked a good week to get a seven day stretch in Twitter jail.  :weei:

stabbed by foulke
    Participant

We need a who’s who on Twitter post on  :ph34r: or something.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 134 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar