Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 3/11/2019-3/17/2019 – Weekly Discussion Thread

This topic contains 231 replies, has 33 voices, and was last updated by  Hacksaw 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 232 total)
  • Author

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

Volin had a nice “Mittens Moment” today, tweeting that Allen Bailey and Trey Flowers had the same body type. They aren’t Nate Solder and Dion Lewis different (Bailey is an inch taller and 25 lbs heavier), but I’ve never heard anyone say they looked alike. When he was called on it, Volin said he meant that they could both play multiple positions and had long arms, which isn’t the same thing as having the “same body type.”

If I’m working at the Globe, I’m thinking “This is the best guy we have to cover the Patriots?” If someone there isn’t building up a case to supplant Volin as the team’s beat writer, then they’re doing something wrong. Mittens continues to provide plenty of evidence that he’s a dummy.

And that’s not even taking into account the total cluster is the Baseball desk. Nick may have filled up inches with mostly blather. pet causes, and direct-from-Boras “independent observer” shit, but he was reliable in a USA Today sort of way. Now they’re scrambling  hard as the current World champions get ready to defend their title — so they’re not really competing against the locals but MLB Network, ESPN, and the national press.

How are they meeting the challenge? Shank mails in a 3-minute interview with a clearly disinterested Yaz. Pete Abe realizes that the Sunday Baseball column can’t simply be leaks from the injury list. Tara Fitzgerald continues to remind us she’s from the greater NY /NJ market. Waxpack Finn reveals himself as a writer about his own quirky enthusiasms and not about baseball as either a sport or a business (and where is the reporter who specializes in team ownership shenanigans, anyway?). So just when the staff needs a good “are they ready for Prime Time?” review, they’re flailing.

What to do? Bring back Gammons? Forgive Barnicle? Hire someone who can converse in Spanish so he/she can speak with half of the players?

The acrid odor you smell is buckets of flop sweat.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Feejis
    Participant

Volin had a nice “Mittens Moment” today, tweeting that Allen Bailey and Trey Flowers had the same body type. They aren’t Nate Solder and Dion Lewis different (Bailey is an inch taller and 25 lbs heavier), but I’ve never heard anyone say they looked alike. When he was called on it, Volin said he meant that they could both play multiple positions and had long arms, which isn’t the same thing as having the “same body type.”

If I’m working at the Globe, I’m thinking “This is the best guy we have to cover the Patriots?” If someone there isn’t building up a case to supplant Volin as the team’s beat writer, then they’re doing something wrong. Mittens continues to provide plenty of evidence that he’s a dummy.

The best part was Olivier Vernon commenting that Mittens clearly has never seen Bailey if he made that comparison.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Big Fat O
    Participant

Barnacle can fill a page and not even leave the house.

Participant

If I’m working at the Globe, I’m thinking “This is the best guy we have to cover the Patriots?”

He came from Miami, which is also the place where Larry King was once employed covering the Dolphins. It ain’t the Ivy League of sports media down there.

So naturally the Globe thinks he’s the best guy.

Shank tweeted recently that Tara Sullivan or whatever just won a very prestigious industry award.

There is no prestige in that industry.

Someone in SoSH’s media forum had a great comment when Shank was named “New England Sportswriter of the Year.”

They said, “That’s because he’s the only one left.” :lol:

He’s up against tomato cans….

chicowalker
    Participant

Go Rams! Big win over the..um, Rams! :lol:   :blink:

1 user thanked author for this post.

Participant

Bennett’s letter to his brother.

Martellus Bennett Gives Great Advice About Patriots To Brother Michael

Claude45
    Participant

Fauria and Merloni at about 4:45: “McDaniels must be pulling his hair out! ‘They’re gonna do this to me again? They’re gonna make me work with a bunch of rejects and Week 5 pickups to patch up this offense?’” “It’s obvious that Bill will only spend money on defense! They go get Michael Bennett but the offense just keeps losing guys! “Don’t forget: they lost Trey Flowers on defense too!” “How can they put us through this again.”

And this is after a Super Bowl championship. :wall:

Me at 4:46: “Adios, m-th-rf-ck-rs!!” (Click.).

I suppose they’re pulling this nutty over signing Ellington instead of Golden Tate. But what makes Fauria, of all people, think that McDaniels isn’t part of the decision-making regarding free agency? From what we’ve seen of Belichick in NFL Films, decisions like this are made with the coaching staff, Caserio, and the pro scouting people in the room, taking part in the discussion. The thought that the offensive coordinator has no role in these decisions is absolutely ludicrous.

I just look forward to after they win the Superbowl next season and they try to tell us that we’re all bunch of overly sensitive crazy people. No one said they weren’t good enough. C’mon, don’t be such a baby.

What’s funny is that the media shit all over Brady and the fans over the “everyone said we suck.” Fleger said YESTERDAY the Pats weren’t good enough to win the Superbowl they won. “Don’t be fooled that just because they won the Superbowl it worked.” We’re the ones that are crazy? We think we’re hearing criticism that doesn’t exist? It’s insane. Not only did they tell us they sucked all last season, they are still telling us they sucked and that they will suck next year. I’m not hearing things.

6 users thanked author for this post.

Participant

“Don’t be fooled that just because they won the Superbowl it worked.” 

SigWorthy

Coma
    Participant

Fauria and Merloni at about 4:45: “McDaniels must be pulling his hair out! ‘They’re gonna do this to me again? They’re gonna make me work with a bunch of rejects and Week 5 pickups to patch up this offense?’” “It’s obvious that Bill will only spend money on defense! They go get Michael Bennett but the offense just keeps losing guys! “Don’t forget: they lost Trey Flowers on defense too!” “How can they put us through this again.”

And this is after a Super Bowl championship. :wall:

Me at 4:46: “Adios, m-th-rf-ck-rs!!” (Click.).

I suppose they’re pulling this nutty over signing Ellington instead of Golden Tate. But what makes Fauria, of all people, think that McDaniels isn’t part of the decision-making regarding free agency? From what we’ve seen of Belichick in NFL Films, decisions like this are made with the coaching staff, Caserio, and the pro scouting people in the room, taking part in the discussion. The thought that the offensive coordinator has no role in these decisions is absolutely ludicrous.

Fauria going along with that narrative shows how stupid he is. When he signed with New England, he was one of those “rejects.” In his previous 7 seasons in Seattle, his production was nothing special, especially for a high 2nd round pick. I can’t speak to his blocking, but it’s not like his numbers shot up when he came to the Patriots. Still, he played in every game for 4 seasons, was a starter more often than not and helped win 2 Super Bowls. If Twitter was around in 2002 and sports talk radio was as poisonous as it is now, people would have shit all over signing Christian Fauria, even though it proved to be a good move. Fauria doesn’t realize any of this and joins in the stupidity.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by  Coma.

Feejis
    Participant

Figures are out in a couple of the deals. Ellington will get $800k salary if he makes the team but only $25k bonus. So he’s not really much of a factor in their plans it looks like.

Lacosse got $500k guaranteed so possible he’s a replacement for Hollister. They’ll probably bring another few TE in but Izzo is a natural replacement for Allen as the run blocking TE if he can stay healthy.

McCourty got more guaranteed than I’d have expected but it looks like it’s really only a 1 year deal with an easy out option.

Coma
    Participant

Kareem Hunt is suspended for the first 8 games next season. Why 8 when the guideline is 6 games? Was it because he lied to the Chiefs about the details of what happened in the hotel hallway with that woman? Was it because of other physical encounters he’s had with people? Was it because his absence made it easier for the Patriots to beat the Chiefs and go on to win the Super Bowl?

You can’t look at prior cases as a guide because there’s no consistency there. The league was aware of multiple incidents involving Josh Brown and his wife and he was suspended one game. If the NFL considered Ezekiel Elliott exposing that woman’s breast at a parade a separate incident, that would put him in multiple infraction territory, but he received 6 games.

Feejis
    Participant

Kareem Hunt is suspended for the first 8 games next season. Why 8 when the guideline is 6 games? Was it because he lied to the Chiefs about the details of what happened in the hotel hallway with that woman? Was it because of other physical encounters he’s had with people? Was it because his absence made it easier for the Patriots to beat the Chiefs and go on to win the Super Bowl?

You can’t look at prior cases as a guide because there’s no consistency there. The league was aware of multiple incidents involving Josh Brown and his wife and he was suspended one game. If the NFL considered Ezekiel Elliott exposing that woman’s breast at a parade a separate incident, that would put him in multiple infraction territory, but he received 6 games.

I don’t believe this fell under the domestic violence policy because she wasn’t his girlfriend, but a stranger.

Nashua Dad
    Participant

And now Tyreek Hill under investigation, again. A pattern of behavior for Chiefs players.

Coma
    Participant

And now Tyreek Hill under investigation, again. A pattern of behavior for Chiefs players.

The Chiefs are busy drafting another rule change request.

Coma
    Participant

I don’t believe this fell under the domestic violence policy because she wasn’t his girlfriend, but a stranger.

Always with the high hat of logic and reason.

This is six days old, but thought it was noteworthy. When the NFL was changing the overtime rules from sudden death to the system they have now, Gasper had written a column prior to the move proposing pretty much the system they adopted. I remember him taking some victory laps that they did so. So I was wondering, now that the pearl-clutchers are saying this too is unfair, will Gasper still claim it as his own or join the chorus for change.

He was on the Sports Hub last week, and to his credit, he kept his devotion to the rule. However, in retelling it, he unwittingly reveals how the biggest problem with the current rules is how the game strategy keeps changing possession to possession:

“You know how I feel about the overtime rules. I’m obviously invested in them. But I just look at it that both teams know. Before that possession even starts, the defense knows so long as we don’t give up a touchdown, Patrick Mahomes gets the ball. You know, and obviously the Patriots offense knows that if we score a touchdown, the game’s over. That’s fine, but if you can make a stop there, the advantage is yours at that point. I mean, first of all, the advantage is yours if you make the stop because, let’s say the Patriots kick a field goal. Then you’re going to go for it on every fourth down. You have four downs to make everything to get into field goal range. And, the other part of it is, you know you score a touchdown, game’s over. That’s it! And so there’s a couple different ways of looking at it. You can look at it from one standpoint of you didn’t get the ball first, the other team did. That’s a huge disadvantage you never got the ball. But the reality is, if you just do not allow a touchdown, I think the team that gets the ball second actually has an advantage. They know exactly what they need to do, they have the extra down, you’re gonna just go for it becuse you’re supposed to. And if you score the touchdown the game’s over!”

There’s never going to be a solution that achieves everything everybody wants: fairness, fidelity of strategy, protecting the players from the further injury that an extra session threatens, and producing an outcome. But Belichick’s set period proposal is still the closest thing to fair in those regards. If a set 10-minute period doesn’t produce a winner, eventually you’d have to go to sudden death or some other different strategy solution, but the extra period keeps both teams playing the same strategy they’ve been playing the rest of the game.

It makes sense, so of course they’ll never do that.

5 users thanked author for this post.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

If I’m working at the Globe, I’m thinking “This is the best guy we have to cover the Patriots?”

He came from Miami, which is also the place where Larry King was once employed covering the Dolphins. It ain’t the Ivy League of sports media down there.

So naturally the Globe thinks he’s the best guy.

Shank tweeted recently that Tara Sullivan or whatever just won a very prestigious industry award.

I can only assume that was a ploy to get the interwebs humming about how he modestly did not mention his own Hall of Fame enshrinement. And thereby generate more traffic on that topic. Which reinforces the false notion that he is somehow a Hall of Fame sportswriter (if indeed, there is such a thing outside the Friar’s Club the BBWA runs in the bowels of Cooperstown). Which signals just how lucky the Globe, Boston, and perhaps all of humanity is to have his towering talent in our midst.

Who says Shank doesn’t “get” social media?

jforb
    Participant

Shank’s learning from the new generation

The Red Sox are a wagon.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Tannehill out. Who will quarterback the Dolphins?

Participant

Shank’s learning from the new generation

The Red Sox are a wagon.

With the hopping and the hipping and the baggy clothes….

Yahtzee
    Participant

Mustard and Tomase.

Get well soon, Larry!

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

And that’s not even taking into account the total cluster is the Baseball desk. Nick may have filled up inches with mostly blather. pet causes, and direct-from-Boras “independent observer” shit, but he was reliable in a USA Today sort of way. Now they’re scrambling hard as the current World champions get ready to defend their title — so they’re not really competing against the locals but MLB Network, ESPN, and the national press.

How are they meeting the challenge? Shank mails in a 3-minute interview with a clearly disinterested Yaz. Pete Abe realizes that the Sunday Baseball column can’t simply be leaks from the injury list. Tara Fitzgerald continues to remind us she’s from the greater NY /NJ market. Waxpack Finn reveals himself as a writer about his own quirky enthusiasms and not about baseball as either a sport or a business (and where is the reporter who specializes in team ownership shenanigans, anyway?). So just when the staff needs a good “are they ready for Prime Time?” review, they’re flailing.

What to do? Bring back Gammons? Forgive Barnicle? Hire someone who can converse in Spanish so he/she can speak with half of the players?

The acrid odor you smell is buckets of flop sweat.

WORDPRESS JUST ATE A POST VERY MUCH LIKE THE FOLLOWING:

Their strategy is obvious: let Speier defect to MLB Network without ever getting a sniff of the national baseball writer beat. I wager he’ll; be gone from The Globe by the end of the year.

WORDPRESS SUCKS.

Big Fat O
    Participant

Mustard and Tomase.

Get well soon, Larry!

Then Reimer after the game.

Just shows EEI really doesn’t care.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Delicious collapse by Kentucky against Tenn in the SEC semis.  Even Vitale couldn’t ruin it.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Speaking of delicious collapses, the Leafs gave up another boatload of goals last night, this time against lowly Ottawa, and lost 6-2. Someone here predicted that Toronto pouring all that salary into its forwards after Tavares signed last summer would bite them in the ass. That was right on.

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 232 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar