Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 3/16/2020-3/22/2020 Weekly No Sports Discussion Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 200 total)
  • Author
    Coma
    Participant

How will the “Was it Brady or was it Bill?” crowd react if Brady has a good season next year (4000 yards, 25+ TDs, 10 or fewer INTs) and the Patriots win 10 games? Did they ever consider that they are both great or is “One must be great, so the other must suck” the only possibility they imagined?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    stabbed by foulke
    Participant

How will the “Was it Brady or was it Bill?” crowd react if Brady has a good season next year (4000 yards, 25+ TDs, 10 or fewer INTs) and the Patriots win 10 games? Did they ever consider that they are both great or is “One must be great, so the other must suck” the only possibility they imagined?

Obviously the NFC South is just as full of tomato cans as the AFC East. Ipso fatso, they both still suck.

6 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

Ipso fatso.  Fucking love that.

I work with a weirdo Chiefs fan who of course had to start in with the Brady/Bill stuff today.  Belichick went 11-5 with Matt fucking Cassel, how did the Chiefs do?  Crickets.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Duron Harmon traded to the Detroit and Ted Karsas signs with The Fish. Gillette is busy today.

Elandon Roberts gone! We lost an LB AND a FB!

Lebron
    Participant

Will always remember Roberts making that great play in LI where he caught up with Freeman (I think) and prevented a TD.  Had a great game in general.

Lefty

Will always remember Roberts making that great play in LI where he caught up with Freeman (I think) and prevented a TD. Had a great game in general.

It was a great play to catch Freeman.

But, I think Roberts blew the coverage pretty badly in the first place, allowing the big gain to happen

Hacksaw
    Participant

Watching the 1979 Baseball Season on MLB Channel. John Candelaria=Baba Booey

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by Hacksaw.
    Lebron
    Participant

For sure, he absolutely blew the original coverage but him coming back to make the tackle was great.  Covered a shit ton of ground.

1979 I still remember Opening Day and being totally confused by the Red Sox changing their uniforms.

Big Fat O
    Participant

Most likely BB told Brady it’s going to be rebuilding year so go make some money. I don’t see BB letting Brady go if the had one more shot.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Lefty

I think if Brady said he just wanted a one year deal to retire as a Pat he would still be here, too.  I think multi years and the cap impact of that, plus delayed development of a replacement for 2 or more years when statistically Brady’s age will be a problem all came into play.

they would take him for 2020.  They wanted no part of him or his cap hit in 2021.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Gasper is such a horrible writer. Look at this painfully clumsy attempt to incorporate the coronavirus into a comparison with Belichick’s treatment of Brady:

“We live in a time of social distancing. In the end, the social distancing Belichick engaged in with Brady will serve as the pathogen for his departure.”

:lol: :lol:

I mean fuck, that’s downright awful writing. I’m flabbergasted by it.

I’m trying to picture his “Aha!” moment for the idea. “Wait! Hold the fort! ‘Social distancing ‘ is  what Belichick has been doing this whole time!” He must have been so proud.

But a simple inference to it just wouldn’t do for Chris. Like maybe “Belichick’s self-imposed social distancing wouldn’t work this time” – still clunky and bad, but at least doesn’t insult the reader’s intelligence.

No, Chris has to paint a picture nice and big and wide and clear:

“We live in a time of social distancing.”

The reader would be lost, Chris reasons, without that establishing sentence.

Next he has to really connect the dots, in case he had some stragglers:

“In the end, the social distancing Belichick engaged in…”

Ah, there you go, Chris gently prods; see how seamlessly our current cultural situation lines up with Belichick’s antisocial behavior, reader?

Next:

“with Brady…”

just in case the reader forgot.

Finally, he’s thinking, hmm, needs that signature Gasper flourish. Wait, I know!

“will serve as the pathogen for his departure.”

He confirms first with a copy editor that the reader will indeed have to look up “pathogen”. Yes? They will? OK then, good to go.

Only after it goes live does he realize he missed the opportunity for alliteration. “Pathogen for his parting“!

“Damn it, Chris!” he castigates himself. Matt Pepin gives him a consoling pat on the head.

jforb
    Participant

How did an editor let that get published?

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

How did an editor let that get published?

Editor’s probably busy homeschooling their kid and just rubber stamping stuff at this point like the rest of us.

Yahtzee
    Participant

They don’t have editors anymore.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Humphrey
    Participant

For sure, he absolutely blew the original coverage but him coming back to make the tackle was great. Covered a shit ton of ground.

1979 I still remember Opening Day and being totally confused by the Red Sox changing their uniforms.

I think the Red Sox were one of the last teams to go to the double knits with the waistbands…and the first team to go back to the belts (of course, some teams had the belts all along, like the Yanks and the Dodgers).

The only thing I didn’t like was they made the grays plain as can be, no red at all. I’m more a fan of the red trim on the numbers, didn’t like the brief switch-back circa 2010 either. After all, they are the Red Sox.

When teams dig out the waistbands for special events, they look terrible…the players don’t want to wear anything that tight any more…they all look like slobs. Even fat guys like the late career George Scott wore tight stuff!

NASCL
    Participant

That’s what makes this so difficult.

BrianInLA
    Participant

This Phillies/Cubs game from ’79 is more entertaining than anything I’ve watched on tv the past 72 hours. 23-22 final score.

chicowalker
    Participant

This Phillies/Cubs game from ’79 is more entertaining than anything I’ve watched on tv the past 72 hours. 23-22 final score.

In my mind, Sixto Lezcano is playing for both of those teams

The rest of it is just as bad. Right in the lede:

Instead, the Patriots and cold-blooded coach Bill Belichick compelled the GOAT to roam to greener pastures.

Get it? Goat/GOAT? Pastures?

There’s no need to recite Brady’s unparalleled six-time Super Bowl champion oeuvre.

“Oeuvre”? Fuck you.

The image from the docuseries of Brady receiving a rubdown from his body coach/business partner in his suite at Gillette Stadium next to the chafing dishes and Sterno cans after Belichick revoked Alex Guerrero’s privileges is enduring.

Is it, though? Also, bad writing: the suite is next to chafing dishes and Sterno cans?

Someone high up on the Foxborough food chain once referred to Brady as the Crown Jewel of Patriot Place. Instead of a crown jewel, he was treated like just another cog in Belichick’s soul-crushing football machine

Ugh. Again with the overly wordy setup. And “soul-crushing football machine”, are you fucking kidding me? They’ve just completed the best 20-year run in league history. Any player from any team from any era would give his right nut to have been part of that soul-crushing machine.  Even Lane fucking Johnson, don’t kid yourselves. JFC, go clutch your pearls, Gasper.

It wasn’t good when excellent ESPN reporter and Certified FOB (Friend of Belichick) Field Yates reported

Because everything has to be explained. Also, wouldn’t the proper term be “friend of Bill”?

Some believe Father Time finally clamped his resistance bands on Brady.

I’m speechless. That’s like Joe Gill-level bad.

I don’t what somebody saw in him, but then this is the Globe, where somebody saw something in Shank and Borges and Nick and KPD and Volin and Breer and Bedard and and and…

BrianInLA
    Participant

Rams making both Gurley and Cooks available for trade because of cap concerns. Maybe the cap isn’t crap after all and you cant build your roster like a fantasy team. They are saying if they cant trade Gurley (good luck with that) then they may cut him by friday.

GusChiggins
    Participant

That Gasped stuff is embarrassingly bad. Not only terrible writing but not grounded in reality of the situation.

Humphrey
    Participant

Most likely BB told Brady it’s going to be rebuilding year so go make some money. I don’t see BB letting Brady go if the had one more shot.

I agree. I think the Brown move in September showed how desperate they thought the situation was, then Gordon and Sanu (injury) compounded that.

I can picture BB bringing old Ernie Adams into his office in October and saying “can you fucking believe we are 8-0”?

You can’t pay Brady all that money and fix all the holes they have to fix.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by Humphrey.
    Lebron
    Participant

Sixto Lezcano!  One guy for me was Rico Carty, felt like he just moved between the Blue Jays/Indians/Rangers on a weekly rotation.

Always seemed like shitty teams in that era had great closers.  Jim Kern.  Ed Farmer.  Of course off the top of my head those are the only 2 guys I remember.  Oh Bruce Sutter.

Humphrey
    Participant

Woody Fryman says hello!

Lebron
    Participant

Heck if you think about it around the time of the Garoppolo decision they were in an unprecedented situation.  Keep a 39 year old QB, are you high?  Oh, the 39 year old is Brady?  Brady is obviously better than Stidham and better than most of the QBs in the league, but you can’t pay him $30 million.  They have to get on with the business of roster turnover while still competing.  And I’m fine if they go 3-13, say disaster strikes and Stidham gets hurt and they’re running Kessler or whatever USC QB out there.  They’ll have plenty of cap space next year and if they can position themselves to take Lawrence, great.  I also think that it makes clear Bill is here for another 5 years health willing.  If he’s planning on going he would have said yeah fuck it pay him what do I care.

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 200 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar