Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 3/16/2020-3/22/2020 Weekly No Sports Discussion Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 200 total)
  • Author
    Humphrey
    Participant

Remember that when towns started offering cable tv in Mass., one typically got the Yanks and Mets…plus either the Cubs or Braves (and some towns got both of those).

Seeing as the Sox were drifting into their early-to-mid-80s malaise, that was a good thing. Glad I got to listen to Scooter and learn to despise Tim McCarver.

WGN showed White Sox games too, with the broadcast team of Harry Caray (before he went over to the Cubs) and Jimmy Pearsall. Hilarious.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by Humphrey.
    1 user thanked author for this post.
    Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

I grew up in a Central Mass town with a large French Canadian population. We used to get a French language cable channel out of Canada on our local cable. They used to show all sorts of Canadian games. Occasionally that would be the only way to watch a B’s game back in the channel 38 days.

chicowalker
    Participant

If the Pats are doomed to an era of mediocrity, it may be worth it for the corresponding cull of media folks who have hitched their wagon to their success.  Or, in Gasperese- (with CHB providing some cultural touchstones)

The band (or The Band, as it were) has been playing for 20 years, but perhaps we’ve reached The Last Waltz.  Some of my fellow ink-stained travelers have taken the 2-7 offsuit of starting hands (copy-editing at local papers for a pittance) and parlayed that into the royal flush of prominence at major outfits of the 4 letter variety (no, not that one, you scamps,  though they have often used in tandem by aggrieved Pats fans when genuflection in front of Messrs. Brady amd Belichick have been determined to not be properly servile). Those of us who stayed local, banking on our ability to mine a story out of an 8-8 season and artfully spin a yarn about an uninspiring 20-13 loss to the Bills, now find ourselves working the sports section in a world without sports, for a paper owned by a dilettante billionaire and run as a vanity project by his trophy wife, our weekends spent pretending to jovially spar with a 50 year old hipster who takes unnaturally strong stands for and against catsup (ketchup) but is afraid of his own considerable shadow…I am taking a circuitous route to say enjoy the schadenfreude, ye wretched scum, after you look up what it means

Lebron
    Participant

On the Sox unis it was also moving from pullover jerseys to regular button down.  I remember getting home from school, throwing on the game and it looked like they had black helmets.  Nevermind when they got out on the road and those grays.  They grew on me a bit.  I was probably one of the few that liked the ’08-’13 or so version.  Thought they got the lettering right and the red socks on the jersey was a good touch.  I never really liked the current ones, for some reason all I can think of is Clemens wearing eye black and getting lit up by the A’s.

Lebron
    Participant

We had town cable too, took forever to get it because we had underground lines and they did those folks last.  Went with the Sportschannel package because I was more of a Celtics kid at that point, so was watching a ton of Mets and Braves games.

Other thing that threw me off on Opening Day ’79 – what the hell happened to Dick Stockton?  That was when Stockton left for CBS I think, and Ned Martin moved to tv.  My 9 year old mind was fully roasted.

Participant

So 2 years $60 Million?

Gee, Shank was just telling us Monday that there was nearly no interest in Brady.

That $60 Mill is only $10 Mill less than Dan’s paper was sold for in 2013.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Humphrey
    Participant

We had town cable too, took forever to get it because we had underground lines and they did those folks last. Went with the Sportschannel package because I was more of a Celtics kid at that point, so was watching a ton of Mets and Braves games.

Other thing that threw me off on Opening Day ’79 – what the hell happened to Dick Stockton? That was when Stockton left for CBS I think, and Ned Martin moved to tv. My 9 year old mind was fully roasted.

Stockton’s still around. And his ex wife is on her 4th or 5th face.

Humphrey
    Participant

If the Pats are doomed to an era of mediocrity, it may be worth it for the corresponding cull of media folks who have hitched their wagon to their success. Or, in Gasperese- (with CHB providing some cultural touchstones)

The band (or The Band, as it were) has been playing for 20 years, but perhaps we’ve reached The Last Waltz. Some of my fellow ink-stained travelers have taken the 2-7 offsuit of starting hands (copy-editing at local papers for a pittance) and parlayed that into the royal flush of prominence at major outfits of the 4 letter variety (no, not that one, you scamps, though they have often used in tandem by aggrieved Pats fans when genuflection in front of Messrs. Brady amd Belichick have been determined to not be properly servile). Those of us who stayed local, banking on our ability to mine a story out of an 8-8 season and artfully spin a yarn about an uninspiring 20-13 loss to the Bills, now find ourselves working the sports section in a world without sports, for a paper owned by a dilettante billionaire and run as a vanity project by his trophy wife, our weekends spent pretending to jovially spar with a 50 year old hipster who takes unnaturally strong stands for and against catsup (ketchup) but is afraid of his own considerable shadow…I am taking a circuitous route to say enjoy the schadenfreude, ye wretched scum, after you look up what it means

Clark Booth couldn’t have said it better, or worse, depending on how you look at it!

Yahtzee
    Participant

This Phillies/Cubs game from ’79 is more entertaining than anything I’ve watched on tv the past 72 hours. 23-22 final score.

Because of the score? Or were there a bunch of double switches?

Lebron
    Participant

Stockton is still doing NFL on Fox with Mark Schlereth.  Haven’t seen Visser in ages.

This work from home/school from home shit is challenging.  I feel like a software developer now, one kid has a Chromebook other kid is in 4th grade so no required Chromebook yet but now he needs the home computer in the office, so I’m on the couch for half the day with noise cancelling headphones.  Wife has commandeered the kitchen table.

Lebron
    Participant

And I should buy stock in Zoom.  Those motherfuckers are making a killing.

chicowalker
    Participant

Stockton is still doing NFL on Fox with Mark Schlereth. Haven’t seen Visser in ages.

This work from home/school from home shit is challenging. I feel like a software developer now, one kid has a Chromebook other kid is in 4th grade so no required Chromebook yet but now he needs the home computer in the office, so I’m on the couch for half the day with noise cancelling headphones. Wife has commandeered the kitchen table.

I’m still in the office. My wife is a teacher, this week is her april break but next week it’s google classroom.  She will have a 9 month old, a 4 year old getting pre-K assignments (!) emailed daily, and her own students.  I may have to stay home a day or two :lol:

BrianInLA
    Participant

Stockton is still doing NFL on Fox with Mark Schlereth. Haven’t seen Visser in ages.

This work from home/school from home shit is challenging. I feel like a software developer now, one kid has a Chromebook other kid is in 4th grade so no required Chromebook yet but now he needs the home computer in the office, so I’m on the couch for half the day with noise cancelling headphones. Wife has commandeered the kitchen table.

Thus far we’ve moved 200 of our 400 users to be able to work remote. I dont think this much effort and confusion went into invading Normandy. No Sally, you definitely cannot take your 3 monitors home with you and set up in your kitchen. A single laptop will suffice. Oh, you have dial-up and are trying to host a conference call?

jforb
    Participant

There’s a cam show joke right there for anyone who wants to make it.

Miss the hell out of my second monitor. And ctrl-left and right switching desktops on the mac instead of moving to the beginning/end of the line in the spreadsheet I have open is driving me nuts.

Yahtzee
    Participant

I just ordered a monitor. My stack of books approach isn’t doing the job.

Lebron
    Participant

Thinking of ordering a Chromebook for the younger one now.  Although I’ve been told there’s been some crazy run on those too, assuming for this type of situation.

Nashua Dad
    Participant

Work told us to come in and grab extra monitors on the honor system. Have a sweet set-up, may not want to go back.

Coma
    Participant

I can’t quote the posts about Roberts catching Freeman in the Super Bowl, but I wanted to say this:

Looking back on that play, if covering Freeman was Roberts’ responsibility, he definitely blew his assignment. Roberts turned to his left and started to drop back in coverage, while Freeman ran out to his right, with no one around him. Compounding Freeman being be left open was that Sanu pushed Roberts down as he ran past him, so Roberts had to get up and then catch up to Freeman. That makes his effort to get downfield and make the tackle more impressive.

When people were complaining about the officials bungling the N’Keal Harry TD against KC, Chiefs fans were claiming the mistake by the officials was irrelevant because they also could have called Edelman for an illegal block in the back. It’s a dubious claim since the Chiefs defender had to get around Edelman and then dive to try and get to Harry. How much of that dive was the defensive back’s own doing and how much was a potential assist from Edelman? It’s impossible to tell, but Chiefs fans think it was an obvious call. I mention this because, on the Freeman catch and run, Sanu pushing down Roberts doesn’t get mentioned often and no one claims it should have been OPI.

Lebron
    Participant

Gurley getting cut, as previously noted.  Two years ago the media was high fiving each other over that deal.  If memory serves he still had 2 years remaining on his rookie deal and they gave him a shit ton of guaranteed dough.  Even if you thought he was good still seemed insane to do that with 2 years left on his cheapest contract.  Now he’s pretty much done.

Lebron
    Participant

Chiefs fans are batshit stupid.  I’ve mentioned a guy I work with, guy is completely fine otherwise.  He starts talking Chiefs and forget it.  The Cheating Cheatriots Cheaty Cheats and the owner likes to get blowjobs and the cheating coach sucks without his cheating QB.  Mention the head coach’s house was characterized as a drug emporium by a judge and the classy owner has 3 domestic abusers on the roster one of whom punched a pregnant woman and then broke his kid’s arm and the Patriots went 11-5 with Cassel how did the Chiefs do with the same guy and it’s suddenly I don’t have time for that right now work is busy.

He’s also a conspiracy theorist in that all of the league’s referees and broadcast teams are decidedly ‘against’ the Chiefs.  Are you shitting me?  Mahomes gets his cock sucked nationally every weekend the likes I haven’t heard since Peyton graced the gridiron.  Nary a mention of “Cheetah” Hill and his domestic exploits.  Put him on the Patriots and you’d hear about it 5 times a game at minimum.

Lebron
    Participant

Rams also releasing Clay Matthews.

Sean Payton tests positive.

BrianInLA
    Participant

That Rams dynasty sure ended quickly. Enjoy that new stadium fellas.

BrianInLA
    Participant

These guys should run the fed.

Joel Corry
    @corryjoel

Todd Gurley didn’t play any of the new years in his Rams contract extension. He was scheduled to make $11,949,978 in the last 2 years of his rookie deal. Gurley gets $34.5M from the extension ($2.5M with offset), which is $22,550,022 more than playing out his rookie contract.
    Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Re. the 1979 Red Sox, what I remember most was what a hangover the team had (and, I guess, the fans had) from the 1978 debacle and Bucky-Effing-Dent.  Tiant gone to the Yankees, Lee to the Expos, George Scott suddenly finished, Fisk on the DL with arm trouble for half the year, after Zimmer had started him at catcher in 299 of a possible 325 games (and he caught 1,316 and 1,356 innings) in 1977-1978, Hobson still a mess at third base. Martin and Woods sacked from the radio team (Martin was never as good on TV).  Yaz was stuck on 2,999 hits for a lifetime until he got his single through the right side. The best things were Lynn (a career year: 39 HRs, a 1.059 OPS, and an AL batting title) and Eck (17-10, 2.99).  And under Sullivan and LeRoux, things were about to get worse. Not a great summah.

Lebron
    Participant

That contract was fucking nuts.  He’d be a UFA coming off of his rookie deal.  No harm, you got 2 really good years out of him.  Now you just hand him and extra $22.5 mil.

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 200 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar