Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 3/16/2020-3/22/2020 Weekly No Sports Discussion Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 200 total)
  • Author
    Hacksaw
    Participant

Sale is getting Tommy John surgery.

The good thing about the Corona Virus its delaying a terrible baseball season.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Hacksaw
    Participant

Re. the 1979 Red Sox, what I remember most was what a hangover the team had (and, I guess, the fans had) from the 1978 debacle and Bucky-Effing-Dent. Tiant gone to the Yankees, Lee to the Expos, George Scott suddenly finished, Fisk on the DL with arm trouble for half the year, after Zimmer had started him at catcher in 299 of a possible 325 games (and he caught 1,316 and 1,356 innings) in 1977-1978, Hobson still a mess at third base. Martin and Woods sacked from the radio team (Martin was never as good on TV). Yaz was stuck on 2,999 hits for a lifetime until he got his single through the right side. The best things were Lynn (a career year: 39 HRs, a 1.059 OPS, and an AL batting title) and Eck (17-10, 2.99). And under Sullivan and LeRoux, things were about to get worse. Not a great summah.

That had to be the team that had Dave Rader as a back up catcher.

I bet Randy Kutcher sold more shirts than that guy.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by Hacksaw.
    Canadian Soldier
    Participant

I wonder if anyone at SoSH chose DaveRaderOfTheLostArk as his user name. :smile:

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Sean Payton had no symptoms and hobnobbed at a horse race on Saturday.

Good job, good effort, Sean!

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Gotta hand it to the Sox. Dumping the news that Sale needs Tommy John in the middle of a world wide viral pandemic beats the Friday at 7pm press release in spades.

Big Fat O
    Participant

Now Ebner is gone. There is definitely a fire sale down in Foxboro. BB knew the team wasn’t going to be go so let’s start over. Two years from now their back in it.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

$50 says Kevin Bacon gets Corona by the end of the month. On a related note I see Daniel Dae Kim found a way to get back into the news.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Marcus Smart got it.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

A little morbid, but should we take bets on which member of each team gets the virus?

For the Patriots, I’ll take Sanu just so whiny fans can get in another round of “We traded a 2nd round pick for him!”

A little morbid, but should we take bets on which member of each team gets the virus?

For the Patriots, I’ll take Sanu just so whiny fans can get in another round of “We traded a 2nd round pick for him!”

Sony, that will cull the herd.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Well if my golf short game doesn’t improve now it never will. Its like being on house arrest until further notice.

Lebron
    Participant

Rader turned out to be the backup in ’80.  Was ’79 the emergence of Gary Allenson?  Allenson played 108 games, then Fisk was mostly the DH.

’79 Red Sox had 91 wins, which was more than the 88 win AL West winning Angels.  Never would have guessed they won 90 games.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Allenson was the opposite of Fisk.  He was short guy, a “little fireplug” or “little bulldog,” as the Hawk used to call him.  Fisk was, what, 6’3″?

And “Mugsy” was a good minor league hitter who had torn up the International League in 1978, but never could hit in the majors.  Apart from his first year in pro ball, Fisk never hit much in the minors. I remember being surprised and ecstatic when he hit for power (and sometimes average) with the Red Sox.

NASCL
    Participant

I got Hart Lee Dykes in the pool.

Lebron
    Participant

My God.  Allenson OPS’d .563 with an OBP of .264 in ’79.  He slugged .299.  How the fuck is that even possible?

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

That was quite a bottom of the order for the early 1980s Red Sox — Hoffman, Allenson … yuck. And then there was Stapleton, whose production declined every single year he played in MLB. He had a good rookie season, but then he just sank like a rock.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Lynn got jobbed out of the MVP in ’79. Finished 4th as Don Baylor and his 3.7 WAR ended up winning it somehow. Lynn lead the league with 8.9. Lynn was better in just about every category as well and played CF while Baylor DH’d and played 1b.

There has to be a story that I’m missing. The voting wasn’t even close (Baylor had 20 first place votes out of 28).

jforb
    Participant

Found two articles that both said essentially Baylor led the league in RBI and his team won the division.

Lebron
    Participant

Amazing how terrible the starting pitching was especially starting in ’80.  ’79 – going by caveman stats – they got 16 wins out of Torrez and Stanley and 17 out of Eckersley.  You could say their best pitcher from ’79-’82 was Tom Burgmeier.  Sub 3 ERA all 4 seasons.  62 appearances in ’80, had over 100 innings in 40 appearances in ’82.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Because of WordPress, I’m not even going to try to quote jforb’s post above, but I think he nails it about Baylor’s MVP award.  The Angels made the postseason for the first time since they were founded in 1961. And–my eyes are rolling as I type this–guys like Gammons were swooning over his “intangible” leadership qualities in every Sunday notes column. Now, Baylor was apparently a Great-Guy-in-the-Room, as hockey players might say: we all remember how his clubhouse leadership was cited as a key factor behind the Red Sox’ 1986 pennant. (That Kangaroo Court stuff was straight out of the Frank Robinson playbook.) And perhaps it’s true that Lynn had no allies in the Red Sox’ ownership suite in 1979. Sully and Mrs. Y were pretty vindictive types when it came to uppity ballplayers with agents like Jeremy Kapstein. There certainly was a lot on talk radio and in print about Lynn really wanting to play in Southern California as soon as his contract with the Sox was up. Those were dark days.

Participant

Monday:  No one’s interested in a 43 year old quarterback and he’s finding out about it.

Friday:  The Patriots didn’t do enough to keep the 43 year old quarterback no one’s interested in.

Same guy wrote both pieces.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    BrianInLA
    Participant

So now its looking like a 60 day shutdown here. How long can places like The Ringer keep going with no new sports, very few movies and all production halted on new shows? Can they get 60 days of virus talk across 25 podcasts? Wonder if Spotify had a virus clause in that $200 million purchase. Most podcast usage for me is sitting in traffic, background at the office or while at the gym. All of which are off limits.

Lebron
    Participant

Lynn got zero 1st place votes.  Zero.  Unbelievable.

Was surprised to see Guidry was a 9.6 WAR v. Rice’s 7.6 in ’78, more that Rice was only 7.6.  ‘Feels’ like it should have been higher.  I can still recite .315/46/139 and 406 total bases.

Lefty

Once he gets Brady’s old man to unload one good column of Pats hatred, what will Tom Curran do going forward?   Now that his primary source’s son is off the team, about what will Tom E write?

we’re probably in for a full season of columns about Brady’s performance and reaction every week.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

So Brady’s contract is 2/50.  I’m not following what people like Curran are hinting at – are they saying the Patriots could have done that but should have gotten it done last year or the year before, and that Brady is making it clear it wasn’t about the money but the opportunity to get away from Bill?

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 200 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar