Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 3/16/2020-3/22/2020 Weekly No Sports Discussion Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 200 total)
  • Author
    Lebron
    Participant

I think the Ringer has such a wide variety of podcasts they are pushing ‘hey if you never listened to David Chang’ or ‘if you never listened to the Book of Basketball’ so people essentially go back and binge listen much like people are binge watching shows they never watched on their streaming services.

That buddy of his Joe House is useless.  Guy has his own podcast on food, any time he’s involved with Chang he says one or 2 dumb things then remains silent.  Same on basketball podcasts, I heard him on one with Rusillo and I think he said 3 things total in an hour plus and all were zero value add and/or stupid comments.

NASCL
    Participant

I’d be remiss if I didn’t offer birthday greetings to one Robert Gordon Orr.

6 users thanked author for this post.
    jforb
    Participant

Too bad Simmons doesn’t do that. The barely talking part.

I’m sure they can build podcasts around watching old shows easily if they need to.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

He did a whole “Rewatchables” for the year 1999 so yeah he could just pick years and do that.  I actually thought Rusillo’s recent podcast where they did a concert festival draft was a good idea.

Yahtzee
    Participant

I believe “Underlying Health Conditions” is available as a user name here.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Norwood Zip
    Participant

“The man makes a pretty strong bird.”

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

I feel that only people in a functioning marriage of 20 years or longer should be able to criticize Belichick OR Brady on this  split.

NASCL
    Participant

This home confinement thing is getting Kenny Rogers a greater Facebook burn than what would normally be expected.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Gronk’s taking isolation well.

Hacksaw
    Participant

It’s Alex Wright with Super Bowl rings.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Bill Belichick as an evil manager hitting people with a fist full of Super Bowl Rings would be awesome.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Rickkyboy
    Participant

Yes. The 86 series was weird as the Mets was everyone’s around me NL team to watch.

Humphrey
    Participant

By the time the 86 season was over, I couldn’t hate the Mets more than I hated them. There were more guys I liked on the Yanks.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

The thing that galls me is that, in both 1975 and 1986, the Red Sox came up against the nationally hyped Best Team in Baseball and lost in seven, but should have won, blowing 3-0 leads in Game 7 of each series.  I loved Bill Lee, but throwing that meatball Lee-Phus pitch to Perez started the Reds on their comeback.  And we all know there should never have been a Game 7 in 1986.

The four rings since 2004 have taken a lot of the sting out of that disappointment. I had a good friend and massive Red Sox fan who dropped dead in his early 50s in February 2004. So his last Sox memory was Aaron Boone. :ozzy:

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Yahtzee
    Participant

Delaware North and the Jacobs Family are scoundrels.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Are they screwing over their hourly workers?

Delaware is probably looking at the Hub on Causeway as a huge albatross if there is a lasting and severe recession.

Nashua Dad
    Participant

The Snow Bowl commentary never gets old. 45 Raiders players crying. Bob Ryan crying and BB, Tom and Izzo smiling.

Lebron
    Participant

Watched the ’78 playoff game yesterday as it was on MLB.  Kills me that for a few innings they did that camera that was seemingly on the roof behind home plate.  I guess it was the times but even watching the top of the 7th, you had one out, runners on 1st and 2nd as Torrez got the first out then gave up consecutive singles, it’s crazy to think that Zimmer goes out to the mound and no pitching change.  It’s a 1 game playoff, you’re up 2-0 and the Yankees are threatening.  Jim Spencer is up, and Torrez got him on a well hit fly ball, but no thought to go to the lefty Hassler or for the love of god is anyone in the pen that can give you an inning?  Tiant pitched on Sunday I think but how about Eckersley? Then he leaves Torrez in the game after the Dent home run, he loses Rivers which brings about the pitching change to Stanley.  Stanley then starts the 8th against Reggie Jackson stays away from him the first 2 pitches then serves up a meatball that Reggie crushes for what turns out to be the game winning home run.  No thought of going to Hassler to face Jackson?  Granted at that time Stanley was their best bullpen arm, but man the mangling of the pitching in that game.  The Piniella stab in right is like the equivalent of the helmet catch.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

I think there’s Bruins stuff from 2011 on NHL Network today.  They ran the Cup clincher the other day, have that sitting on the DVR.

Hacksaw
    Participant

Pinella looked like he was playing on ice skates.

Lebron
    Participant

He said it was like a giant fireball in the sky and he told Lemon that any ball hit on a hop was going to be impossible.  He said fly balls were OK.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

The bullpen is one of the things that killed the 1978 team. Stanley was the horse, and they had Drago, too, but Bill Campbell was toast (Zimmer had burned him out in 1977). As for lefties, in addition to Hassler (a midseason pickup, a JAG, and a guy with poor control), there was Burgmeier. Burgy had some excellent seasons out of the Red Sox pen–and as a multi-batter guy, not as a pure LOOGY–but 1978 was his worst year in a Boston uniform. One of the problems was that Sullivan had purged the team of malcontents like Carbo and pitchers Jenkins, Cleveland and Willoughby, but he got nothing back in return. I think Willoughby was cooked by then, and the other pitchers weren’t bullpen pieces, but selling low on all of them (because of their being in Zim’s doghouse) really hurt them. Jenkins went back to the Rangers and won 18 games, and the left-handed pitcher they got back, John Poloni, never appeared in a Sox uniform and only became famous as the “Fat Scout” in Moneyball.  And their answer to Triple-A depth was Bobby Sprowl. :ohmy:

Last night I briefly clicked on MLB Network and it was their “1978 in Baseball” show, just in time for the Boston Massacre and then, a few minutes later, for the Yankee clubhouse celebration after the playoff. :wall:

But it’s OK, I’m over it now.   :weei:

Nashua Dad
    Participant

Zolak should be fun.

Stidham looks terrible. This kid sucks and it’s going to be a long season. Bill made a terrible decision.  -Probably first drive game 1

Humphrey
    Participant

Agreed on 78 Sox- bench depth or lack thereof was criminal. Zim’s answer to that was to run the starting lineup into the ground. Probably the only guys that got a decent amount of rest were the people like Yaz and Rice that got to DH a lot of games.

The bench consisted of Jack Brohamer, Frank Duffy, Bob Bailey, Fred Kendall and Garry Hancock. The only one of those that had a decent career was Bailey, and his career was in the toilet a good 2-3 years before he joined the Sox.

thatsnotwhatisaid
    Participant

Selective hearing on my part for sure but Jim Nagy (Senior Bowl organizer, former pro scout) and Jordan Palmer have convinced me Stidham was a first round talent stuck in a bad system.  Also very mature and composed.  I’m ignoring any other opinions.

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 200 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar