Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 3/18/2019-3/24/2019 – Weekly Discussion Thread

This topic contains 197 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by  Blinded By The Lombardis 3 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 198 total)
  • Author

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Ryan Fitzpatrick will be the Miami Dolphins’ first-string QB in 2019, meaning that (if he’s not hurt by September) he will have started for every AFC East team except the Patriots since 2009.

The guy has red hair and a red beard. Why not put his face on a tomato can™?/ Shank

1 user thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

I posted last week about the ACC tournament being in Brooklyn, of course it was in Charlotte…

I never understand people who pay little attention beyond Duke and the whatever 1 and done player of the year scream incessantly on the radio  about why Hofstra or Belmont should or shouldn’t be in the tournament. Stop acting like you know anything about it.

Lefty

On the one hand, I agree with him. On the other hand, I’m not going to complain about the shots of the Tiny Weather Lady posted.

I think we all know Mrs King, who lives in Manhattan with Peter, dictated that section about weather women’s hussy-like attire to Pete while she was deciding if she would let him take his balls out of the freezer for the night.

Lefty

I posted last week about the ACC tournament being in Brooklyn, of course it was in Charlotte…

I never understand people who pay little attention beyond Duke and the whatever 1 and done player of the year scream incessantly on the radio about why Hofstra or Belmont should or shouldn’t be in the tournament. Stop acting like you know anything about it.

I am a little pissy about St John’s getting in (even in the play-in game) because I hate all things NY and by most statistical categories other teams belonged there ahead of them.   But, to your point, I haven’t seen any of the schools that are bitching play for even a nan0-second.   Still, given the consistency of my hatred of NY, I am ok with my position.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

Oh it’s fine to hate St. Johns, I hated Carnesecca almost as much as I hated Boeheim.  That entire garbage state blows.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

What was the upshot of Pete’s wardrobe diatribe? Weathergirls dress too slutty?

They are forced to according to Peter.

For FIWL

I think (and I realize this is a touchy topic and I’m about to sound like an old codger and father of two daughters), but men wear suits in high-profile TV jobs while the majority of women, in sports and news, dress in cocktail-type clothing. Do these women want to? Or do they feel forced to dress in cocktail-type attire because they feel they need to have a certain look?

I don’t know why this has become the norm. I know TV trends have waxed and waned over the years, but in watching sports and the daily cable news shows, I see quite a bit of skin on women, and I just wonder if this is how they want to dress on TV. To me, I would rather have women delivering sports news and real news dress the way they truly want to dress, not the way they think they need to dress to be appealing or to keep their jobs. To be clear, not every female anchor or reporter dresses for air like it’s a night on the town, and if that’s her personal preference, it’s fine. I would hope we could get to a place where women dress in the way they prefer, not in the clothing they feel forced for whatever reason to wear.

You might feel that’s an oddity to interject in this column, but I feel strongly about it. If you raise daughters who would like to report in sports or politics on air—I didn’t, but they loved sports and such a choice would not have surprised me—you shouldn’t have to say success or failure in the business depends on how you look, or what you are willing to wear on-air.”

This needs a photo of PK in cargo shorts, preferably seated.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Lefty

Bortles to sign with the Rams.  Makes sense.  Need to have someone else on the roster who can throw the balloon ball just like Goff eventually threw to Cooks in the SB.

stabbed by foulke
    Participant

Nice moment for Isaiah, really OOTGs, at least for one season.

Then checks in and airballs a 3 and steps out of bounds.

Callahardfoul
    Participant

I’m just here to say this is the least enjoyable C’s team since the full tank right after the Brooklyn trade.  Expectations are part of it, but I’ve been driven to not watching because they are so stressful to watch.

I tuned in last night, saw good effort until about one minute left in the 3rd. Stevens took Irving out, put Rozier in.  I would have guessed he was a -25 last night. Turns out he was only -9.

They make so many dumb plays it is amazing. Except for Horford, and sometimes Irving, the whole team basically plays like they are all 5 time all stars with reputations that allow them carte blanche to operate carelessly. Irving is brilliant offensively, but last night he was so frequently disconnected defensively that he ended up giving up easy wide open threes on his man from sheer late reactions.

If you need to lose weight, watch Jaylen Brown’s stint from one minute left in the third to the 9 minute mark of the 4th. You’ll either vomit or shit yourself.

I have no problem shipping off any player on the team in the offseason. They probably have one chance this Summer to right the ship given the contractual status and cap issues the team faces into the future. I bet Stevens is ready to pull his fucking hair out.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Lefty

I’m just here to say this is the least enjoyable C’s team since the full tank right after the Brooklyn trade. Expectations are part of it, but I’ve been driven to not watching because they are so stressful to watch.

I tuned in last night, saw good effort until about one minute left in the 3rd. Stevens took Irving out, put Rozier in. I would have guessed he was a -25 last night. Turns out he was only -9.

They make so many dumb plays it is amazing. Except for Horford, and sometimes Irving, the whole team basically plays like they are all 5 time all stars with reputations that allow them carte blanche to operate carelessly. Irving is brilliant offensively, but last night he was so frequently disconnected defensively that he ended up giving up easy wide open threes on his man from sheer late reactions.

If you need to lose weight, watch Jaylen Brown’s stint from one minute left in the third to the 9 minute mark of the 4th. You’ll either vomit or shit yourself.

I have no problem shipping off any player on the team in the offseason. They probably have one chance this Summer to right the ship given the contractual status and cap issues the team faces into the future. I bet Stevens is ready to pull his fucking hair out.

So, here’s an honest question as I don’t have the level of basketball IQ as do others on the board.   In watching them this season, it seems like Stevens has been trying to deal with the different personalities by trying to run plays for everyone, get everyone involved, get everyone touches.   A nice idea to a point.   I am hopeful that will stop when the playoffs come and Stevens will go the full Francona and coach differently than during the regular season.   As an example, I haven’t gotten over the fact they were trying to run a last second play to Morris at the end of the Milwaukee game in Milwaukee.   He had a nice start to the year and all, but why would anyone intentionally run a play for Morris for the last shot at the end of a game?   I can’t imagine that in the playoffs and have to assume it was about keeping Morris engaged.    Is it possible this team can succeed in the playoffs with a much more deliberate rotation, more narrowly defined roles and more selective ball distribution?    Or are they just too f’d up to straighten out?

Big Fat O
    Participant

I think Ainge would have moved a few players at the deadline but he’s waiting to see if he can get Davis. Looks like he is willing to sacrifice this year for the big prize and needs all of his chips.

Callahardfoul
    Participant

I’m just here to say this is the least enjoyable C’s team since the full tank right after the Brooklyn trade. Expectations are part of it, but I’ve been driven to not watching because they are so stressful to watch.

I tuned in last night, saw good effort until about one minute left in the 3rd. Stevens took Irving out, put Rozier in. I would have guessed he was a -25 last night. Turns out he was only -9.

So, here’s an honest question as I don’t have the level of basketball IQ as do others on the board. In watching them this season, it seems like Stevens has been trying to deal with the different personalities by trying to run plays for everyone, get everyone involved, get everyone touches. A nice idea to a point. I am hopeful that will stop when the playoffs come and Stevens will go the full Francona and coach differently than during the regular season. As an example, I haven’t gotten over the fact they were trying to run a last second play to Morris at the end of the Milwaukee game in Milwaukee. He had a nice start to the year and all, but why would anyone intentionally run a play for Morris for the last shot at the end of a game? I can’t imagine that in the playoffs and have to assume it was about keeping Morris engaged. Is it possible this team can succeed in the playoffs with a much more deliberate rotation, more narrowly defined roles and more selective ball distribution? Or are they just too f’d up to straighten out?

I think on the Morris play it was just misdirection, which Stevens is pretty good at. I don’t think they were trying to get him a Jason sponsored iso, just a backdoor layup.  If I had to describe Stevens’ system, it would be based on shot opportunities, rather than player opportunities. He really doesn’t care who gets the open corner three; He just wants it to be open.  I’m not ready to kill Brad yet (Not saying you are, either).

I guess they can make a deep playoff run. Irving and Horford alone can get them past anybody but Toronto and Milwaukee. They’d need actual engagement from the young guys to win in those two series. My prediction: As soon as they hit some adversity (say…down 10 at halftime of game 3 in  1-1 series), they fold as the young guys and Irving start dreaming of starting over elsewhere next year.

Nashua Dad
    Participant

Brown and Tatum are not getting the minutes/shots that a typical 3/2 pick gets by being drafted onto a crap team. And this is at the expense of Morris getting too many minutes now that the hot start is way in the past. Brown has been great the past month, but he can’t get additional minutes. Last years playoff run showed that they need to trim the rotation, this system does not thrive on 10 guys believing they can score at will.

Smart and Horford are not letting this team quit down 10 in a tied playoff series.

Callahardfoul
    Participant

Brown and Tatum are not getting the minutes/shots that a typical 3/2 pick gets by being drafted onto a crap team. And this is at the expense of Morris getting too many minutes now that the hot start is way in the past. Brown has been great the past month, but he can’t get additional minutes. Last years playoff run showed that they need to trim the rotation, this system does not thrive on 10 guys believing they can score at will.

Smart and Horford are not letting this team quit down 10 in a tied playoff series.

They’re 15 games over .500 in a season where it was expected they would be 35 games over. They’ve quit plenty of times.

Lefty

They’re 15 games over .500 in a season where it was expected they would be 35 games over. They’ve quit plenty of times.

That’s one of the things I can’t get a handle on.   I do think the team could go on a run in the playoffs and I just can’t decide if some of the players are just mailing in the regular season and will play differently/with more intensity in the playoffs.   Not advocating the idea that they can just turn it on, but wondering if that is what they think.

jforb
    Participant

Way to proofread coach

Leave it to the Celtics to get their act back together, and then drop one at home to Denver. Boston allowed to 11-0 runs.

How does Jaylen Brown allow this backdoor dunk with 1 second left in the quarter? How does he lose trade of his man? Breakdowns like this are so frustrating about this team.

Nashua Dad
    Participant

Have the playoffs happened?

Participant

Apparently the Mayock/Gruden’s are trying to get Vontez in the room – I see nothing but smooth sailing out west this year.

Humphrey
    Participant

Way to proofread coach

Leave it to the Celtics to get their act back together, and then drop one at home to Denver. Boston allowed to 11-0 runs.

How does Jaylen Brown allow this backdoor dunk with 1 second left in the quarter? How does he lose trade of his man? Breakdowns like this are so frustrating about this team.

Before that 3 things happened and the dunk was the icing on the cake.
    1. Tatum (3-12, although I couldn’t complain that much about the shots he missed) missed a wide open 3 with about 10-12 seconds left that would have made the lead 8.
    2. Someone left a guy wide open in the corner for a three with 1.1 seconds left.
    3. Stevens decided to get cute and call a time out. He then ran a play that blew up in his face; a home run throw that touched no one and went out of bounds down the other end (so Denver got the ball under the basket they were shooting at).

Lebron
    Participant

Watching the Celtics I understand how the Steelers felt when they were told by the Patriots this is not going to go the way you think it’s going to go.  They can still get things right of course but it doesn’t seem like it’s a matter of David Price getting an ‘a ha’ moment during a bullpen session.  In the last couple of years they had injuries to Thomas and then Hayward and Kyrie that seemed to rally them together to push through as far as they could take it.  I think now they don’t have anything to really put their finger on beyond we gotta play better/coach better.  And if you feel like you are doing that then you hit dead ends.

Lefty

Supposedly Trout is about to sign a 12 year $430M extension with the Angels.

Powder may need to put the Visionary Editor on an allowance.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Suzy
    Participant

Just lost an angry Fatty post.

Short version: Physical appearance will always matter in TV–a visual medium– because no one wants to see an ugly broad rambling on about weather or hamstrings. Unfair perhaps, but that’s the way it is.

Also, what are the odds that he’s a creepy, awkward, inappropriate, embarrassing father? I’d say pretty good.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Suzy
    Participant

Supposedly Trout is about to sign a 12 year $430M extension with the Angels.

Powder may need to put the Visionary Editor on an allowance.

He’s as close to a perfect player as there is.

Participant

Good thing Carrie Underwood wears a suit of armor on the opening of  Sunday night football Peter.

I’m sure Pete never took a check the week the swimsuit issue went out all those years at Si.

7 users thanked author for this post.

Lefty

From WSJ:

Flor­ida pros­e­cu­tors have of­fered to drop charges against New Eng­land Pa­tri­ots owner Robert Kraft and a num­ber of other men charged with so­lic­it­ing pros­ti­tu­tion, ac­cord­ing to a per­son fa­mil­iar with the mat­ter, but there is a catch. The pro­posed agree­ment calls for the men to ad­mit they would have been proven guilty at trial.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 198 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar