Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 3/18/2019-3/24/2019 – Weekly Discussion Thread

This topic contains 197 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by  Blinded By The Lombardis 1 month ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 198 total)
  • Author

Lefty

As excited as they were to run out and throw Kraft’s name out for all to see and draw attention to their local sting operation, I have to believe the local cops and DA are a little sorry they went that route.    On something like this, they’re used to guys doing anything to avoid publicity and jumping on some quiet plea agreement or fine.   Some of them may be represented by a friend who is a lawyer, or a local guy who will work with them.   The budget  and staff they put on this whole operation is probably next to nothing.    Then they pants Kraft and he hires two serious law firms who, I have to believe, have been papering the shit out of the DA’s office and the Sheriff’s office and raising all sorts of evidence issues and constitutional issues that those local guys never see aggressively raised when they process these things.    Kraft’s lawyers are probably making this the only thing the DA’s office can spend it’s time on, and for what?  A misdemeanor case?   I bet they would love to find a quiet side exit that lets them keep their overall sting in tact but gets Kraft the hell away from them.

Lefty

Cheap prick Patriots at it again:

“Guy’s contract called for a $400,000 bonus if he played at least 50 percent of the Patriots’ defensive snaps. He ended up playing 519 out of the Patriots’ 1,043 defensive plays, meaning he fell just three snaps short. The Patriots figured three snaps over a full season wasn’t enough to quibble over, so they gave him the $400,000.

White’s contract called for a $250,000 bonus if he totaled 1,200 yards from scrimmage. He finished the season with 1,176 yards from scrimmage. Again, the Patriots figured that a difference of 1.5 yards per game over a 16-game season was close enough.”

chicowalker
    Participant

I know it’s relatively a small amount, but how does that work w/the cap?

Feejis
    Participant

I believe they are included against the cap when deal is signed. If not earned, the corresponding cap space carries over to the following season.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

It’s from Mittens, so consider the source:

NFL rules prohibit the Patriots from simply paying the incentive bonus, so instead they renegotiated White’s contract to add a $250,000 signing bonus to this year, and Guy’s contract to add a $400,000 signing bonus. The Patriots are tight on the salary cap, with about $5 million in cap space, and the moves increased White’s salary cap number by $125,000 and Guy’s by $200,000.

One more thing … WordPress sucks.

stabbed by foulke
    Participant

I believe they are included against the cap when deal is signed. If not earned, the corresponding cap space carries over to the following season.

Depends on if it’s considered likely to be earned or not. LTBE bonuses count against the cap. NLTBEs don’t until they’re earned.

Humphrey
    Participant

Which was which?

Let’s put it this way, I doubt our Chico was very happy with the outcome, unless he’s exclusively a URI fan. PC sleepwalked through the game and the crowd involvement was minimal. And Arkansas’ best player took the “I’m going to get drafted by the NBA so I won’t play in the shitty NIT” route.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  Humphrey.

stabbed by foulke
    Participant

NFL rules prohibit the Patriots from simply paying the incentive bonus, so instead they renegotiated White’s contract to add a $250,000 signing bonus to this year, and Guy’s contract to add a $400,000 signing bonus. The Patriots are tight on the salary cap, with about $5 million in cap space, and the moves increased White’s salary cap number by $125,000 and Guy’s by $200,000.

So if Simple Ben is right, that makes renegotiating the contract an even bigger lift for the Cheap Patriots if they can’t just cut a check for the bonus. Just the way they do things in Foxboro I guess.

Hacksaw
    Participant

NFL rules prohibit the Patriots from simply paying the incentive bonus, so instead they renegotiated White’s contract to add a $250,000 signing bonus to this year, and Guy’s contract to add a $400,000 signing bonus. The Patriots are tight on the salary cap, with about $5 million in cap space, and the moves increased White’s salary cap number by $125,000 and Guy’s by $200,000.

I went to the gym this morning and I WordPressed 300lbs.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Participant

“They’ve got a great owner, head coach. They kind of treat you like — they don’t treat you like you’re human. What I mean by that is like, yeah, I’m an NFL athlete, but still I’m a human being. You know what I’m saying? I still play video games, I still make music. They don’t want to allow you to be yourself. They want you to be, if you’re a Steelers, you’re literally playing football 24/7. You’re not supposed to be playing video games and like making music, playing basketball. You’re not supposed to be doing that. You’re supposed to be working out.”

I thought BillTheCoach/GM was the only one who didn’t allow players to be themselves?

The Sainted Rooney’s should call Lucchino for smear campaign advice.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

In Today’s Red Sox Preview, Dan Shaugnhessy takes a hard look at the late 1980s.

Thereby defaulting to grabbing large gobs of content from Globe Archives and slathering it with his “we didn’t tell you THEN, but here’s what was happening” perspective.

And demonstrating that he doesn’t know what the word “Preview” means.

chicowalker
    Participant

Which was which?

Let’s put it this way, I doubt our Chico was very happy with the outcome, unless he’s exclusively a URI fan. PC sleepwalked through the game and the crowd involvement was minimal. And Arkansas’ best player took the “I’m going to get drafted by the NBA so I won’t play in the shitty NIT” route.

No I’m a friars guy too, and I was appalled.  I like Cooley as a coach, but his deficiency is in Xs and Os; he’s a good recruiter and his guys play hard.  They slept through that game last night.  I play hoops on tuesday around the corner from the civic center, and I almost pulled the trigger to go to the game after I played, I’m very happy I didn’t

Lebron
    Participant

Irwin R. Shyster calls it “The Accrual”

3 users thanked author for this post.

Hacksaw
    Participant

Irwin R. Shyster calls it “The Accrual”

That guy can do a mean airplane spin!

Lebron
    Participant

Late ’80s Red Sox?  My favorite was Lou Gorman referring to “The Bad Apples” which I guess was similar to Zimmer and “The Buffalo Heads”

Hacksaw
    Participant

In Today’s Red Sox Preview, Dan Shaugnhessy takes a hard look at the late 1980s.

Thereby defaulting to grabbing large gobs of content from Globe Archives and slathering it with his “we didn’t tell you THEN, but here’s what was happening” perspective.

And demonstrating that he doesn’t know what the word “Preview” means.

Great Ed Romero should have been the starting shortstop talk.

GusChiggins
    Participant

They launder it through TB12 to make up for Brady taking less. Remember how they laundered the draft pick they received for Jimmy G so nobody would ever know who they ended up for him? That’s what they do here, they are masters at it.

7 users thanked author for this post.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Let me guess some of his reminiscences … “I manage this nine!” … “I willed myself invisible” … The Can Film Festival … John McNamara: a real sweetheart … Roger pulls a nutty in the 1990 playoffs … The Coup LeRoux … Calvin Schiraldi: the heart of a lion!… Jim Rice scratches 60-year-old PR grouch Bill Crowley as they tussle over a parking space in Winter Haven … speaking of The Have (where so many golden moments happened), the Elks Club “whites only” policy and Tommy Harper’s firing …

Probably no mention of the clubby who was molesting all those teenaged boys in The Have, though. That disgrace has probably escaped Shank’s intern-fueled memory.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

Don’t forget “6, 2 and even!”  You could probably make a game out of guess who said this weird shit between Joe Morgan and Jimy Williams.

Hacksaw
    Participant

Let me guess some of his reminiscences … “I manage this nine!” … “I willed myself invisible” … The Can Film Festival … John McNamara: a real sweetheart … Roger pulls a nutty in the 1990 playoffs … The Coup LeRoux … Calvin Schiraldi: the heart of a lion!… Jim Rice scratches 60-year-old PR grouch Bill Crowley as they tussle over a parking space in Winter Haven … speaking of The Have (where so many golden moments happened), the Elks Club “whites only” policy and Tommy Harper’s firing …

Probably no mention of the clubby who was molesting all those teenaged boys in The Have, though. That disgrace has probably escaped Shank’s intern-fueled memory.

Speaking of Roger pulling a nutty in the playoffs, I always thought he wanted to get thrown out because the A’s had his number.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Humphrey
    Participant

Speaking of Roger pulling a nutty in the playoffs, I always thought he wanted to get thrown out because the A’s had his number.

I thought Shank showed remarkable restraint not mentioning Adrien Gonzalez, The Cooler (name copyrighted by Shank himself).

Participant

I want these puds out of business yesterday….

is FIRED UP for at tonight:

“I hope they [Celtics] lose by 40 … This team has underperformed. They are a very difficult team to like. I don’t know how you can like them, and they’re still cocky like they’ve accomplished something”

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Of course I wish the Red Sox had kept Rizzo and passed on Gonzalez, and I understand that Gonzalez is kind of a strange fellow, but this mediocre hack, his chest puffed out as a “sort-of hall of famer” by some vote of his fellow hacks into a phony media wing, pretending he’s better at what he does, or more important to baseball, than a guy who’s spent 15 years in the Show, played in almost 2,000 games, collected over 2,000 hits and 300 home runs, won four Gold Gloves, and made five All-Star teams, is so self-delusional that said hack ought to be clapped into MacLean Hospital with the key to his padded room dropped into the depths of the Cambridge Reservoir.

5 users thanked author for this post.

Big Fat O
    Participant

Futility Lou has decided to become the Mazz of EEI where no one can meet Lou’s lofty standards and everything sucks.

We all knew Fauria was a boob but he now he has removed all doubt. Instead of giving some inside info on the team he’s decided it’s easier to spew the hot takez caveman style.

Lebron
    Participant

I remember being pretty excited about the Gonzalez trade, then that first half of his first season in Boston was phenomenal.  I don’t usually buy into the logic that participating in the Home Run Derby will fuck you up, but it sure seemed to fuck him up the rest of that season.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 198 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar