Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 3/23-3/29/2020 Weekly Discussion Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 117 total)
  • Author
    NASCL
    Participant

The ’78 playoff game started at 3:00 or 3:30 and I sure as shyt had school and couldn’t wait to get home to watch on Channel 5 (Channel 38 may have also carried).

Norwood Zip
    Participant

Keith Jackson in the booth for ABC.

1 user thanked author for this post.

The ’78 playoff game started at 3:00 or 3:30 and I sure as shyt had school and couldn’t wait to get home to watch on Channel 5 (Channel 38 may have also carried).

It had to start at 2, because the game started before I got out of 8th grade. Our teacher had a little B/W tv. The trip home was my fastest half mile run ever. (Not very fast)

Participant

Who knew they had 5 watchable ones over the last 20 years?

The top 5 best Knicks games of the last 20 years to re-watch

4 users thanked author for this post.
    NASCL
    Participant

Pulled the box score and it was 2:30 start.  Went to high school about a mile from the park, thought all day about walking over and trying to get in.   Decided not to chance it because if it don’t work out the game – all were about 2.5 hours back then, would be almost over by the time I took the Green Line and bus home.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

Torrez was going on 3 days rest, never knew that.  Eckersley pitched Saturday complete game, Tiant pitched Sunday complete game.  Guidry was also on 3 days, had pitched a complete game the start before.

In the end for as much shit we give Torrez he was pretty decent career wise.  He won 2 WS games in ’77, was a 20 game winner before that, and won 32 games in ’78/’79.

I never would have had faith in them beating the Royals, KC always seemed like a nightmare for them.  Plus with a shorter best of 5 series.

Lebron
    Participant

The games over that weekend were a hair over 2 hours, complete games from the starters etc.  Even the playoff game was under 3 hours, 2:52.

Nashua Dad
    Participant

Schefter has taken to crediting the agent twitter handle on a lot of these signings. Maybe afraid the agents can grab some of his audience.

Lebron
    Participant

Also retweeted Kevin Demoff, son of Marv, saying he loves the new Rams logo.  You’re the COO of the Rams, would hope you ‘love the logo’

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Remember when our biggest problem was when a rich asshole told his copter pilot to take a shortcut through a mountain?

jforb
    Participant

I don’t remember that being a problem.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Humphrey
    Participant

Torrez was going on 3 days rest, never knew that. Eckersley pitched Saturday complete game, Tiant pitched Sunday complete game. Guidry was also on 3 days, had pitched a complete game the start before.

In the end for as much shit we give Torrez he was pretty decent career wise. He won 2 WS games in ’77, was a 20 game winner before that, and won 32 games in ’78/’79.

I never would have had faith in them beating the Royals, KC always seemed like a nightmare for them. Plus with a shorter best of 5 series.

Stanley was a bullpen guy but got the start the first game of that series. 7 innings, 2 hits, 0 runs. Sox up 8-0 after 3 innings.

The Sox won 8 in a row after dropping a Friday night game to the Jays to force the playoff. And the Yanks were 6-2 over that stretch.

They were 4-6 against the Royals (1-4 on the rug at Royals Stadium): that was one of their better seasons against those guys, believe it or not.

Coma
    Participant

With no games going on, you would think MLB might have time to finish their investigation into the Red Sox. The same would apply to the NFL and their investigation into the Kraft Sports video crew at the Browns stadium. That’s asking too much, apparently.

BrianInLA
    Participant

The Ringer complete breakdown of The Office basketball game is actually pretty damn funny. Complete with “advanced metrics”.

Humphrey
    Participant

Jim Christian will still be coming down for breakfast as the BC basketball coach.

Lebron
    Participant

Simmons has Pearl Jam on the his podcast later this week, still cranking the content apparently.

BrianInLA
    Participant

I’d guess in these times he could get almost anyone he wanted on his show that was bored out of their mind sitting at home. Lots of artists go stir crazy if they’re not doing twenty things at once. They probably actually look forward to being asked uninformed questions from “fans” on a large platform. After hearing how little Grohl knew about Simmons it will be sort of funny to hear the same from Vedder.

jforb
    Participant

Florio:

As reported by ESPN, the group of General Managers believes that the state-mandated closure of operations in states like California and New Jersey while other facilities can function will create a competitive disadvantage for the teams whose employees were compelled to work at home.

So holding the draft as scheduled would screw the Jets and Giants? I’m conflicted now.

Not that the Jets need help in screwing up the draft.

Lebron
    Participant

Game 5 of the ’90 Stanley Cup Finals was on this morning.  Still remember being at a friend’s house watching Game 1 until the wee hours of the morning.  That’s one where I still can’t believe that they not only lost that series but got smoked.  The CBC coverage in the locker room was all centered on Gretzky.

Lebron
    Participant

Then the next year losing to the Penguins, after winning the first 2, still can’t believe they got torched like they did in Game 5.

Participant

Prince Chuck working from home #WorkingClass

Lefty

Then the next year losing to the Penguins, after winning the first 2, still can’t believe they got torched like they did in Game 5.

MFing Ulf Samuelsson  :ozzy:

4 users thanked author for this post.
    jforb
    Participant

Might be a bit late, but if anyone needs some expert advice in flattening a growth rate curve, I can think of someone excelling at that right now.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Coma
    Participant

Florio:

As reported by ESPN, the group of General Managers believes that the state-mandated closure of operations in states like California and New Jersey while other facilities can function will create a competitive disadvantage for the teams whose employees were compelled to work at home.

So holding the draft as scheduled would screw the Jets and Giants? I’m conflicted now.

Not that the Jets need help in screwing up the draft.

Just related to the draft, can’t all these discussions take place remotely? I imagine all the involved people can be on the same conference call or online meeting and talk about what players their team should be targeting.

In terms offseason workouts and meetings where the players are normally at the team facility, I can see that being a problem if some teams can do that and others can’t. It’s funny to read, though, that the league is concerned that this could create an uneven playing field. There have been a few violations of the offseason rules over the years and they have always been treated as minor issues. Now, it’s very serious.

Lebron
    Participant

Brother John is just a hard worker, so what if he has a few extra workouts?  Those rules are silly anyhow!

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 117 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar