Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 3/23-3/29/2020 Weekly Discussion Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 117 total)
  • Author
    Lebron
    Participant

Was watching some of the too many men on the ice game, not just Gilbert but all goalies looked like they were flailing at the puck.  Like the puck would get past them then they made some crazy dive.

Norwood Zip
    Participant

Was watching some of the too many men on the ice game, not just Gilbert but all goalies looked like they were flailing at the puck. Like the puck would get past them then they made some crazy dive.

They all play like the table hockey goalie.

Before Tyree, that Lafleur goal was the worst.

BrianInLA
    Participant

The new Dark Side Of The Ring about Benoit is awesome. This is a great series.  I knew Benoit and Nancy (as well as Kevin Sullivan) in the early 90s and he was one of the nicest and coolest persons I had met. Also by far the best wrestler I ever met. He was so ahead of his time. Same with Eddie Guerrero. Damn CTE.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    BrianInLA
    Participant

Though really have to question Kevin Sullivan’s strategy about having his wife, Nancy, hang out on the road with Benoit to sell the whole angle of her really being with Benoit and low and behold she leaves Kevin for Chris. Especially with how everything played out with her life.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

This Patsfans thread title tells an epic story:

“Coronavirus RESPECTFUL Discussion Only! (Mod edit: Closed)”

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Coma
    Participant

I turned on Felger & Mazz yesterday afternoon out of curiosity and caught the tail end of their interview with a doctor from Brigham and Women’s. Felger and Murray were in the studio, with Mazz on a monitor broadcasting from his home. After the interview, I expected them to start ripping the doctor and saying, with a doctor like that, there’s no chance we beat the virus. They played it straight, though, which shows it only takes a pandemic to get them to stop trolling their listeners.

From there, they went into a discussion of what leagues will be hurt the most from being shuttered and decided it would be hockey, since they depend on the gate revenue more than other sports. Again, this was all played down the middle. The only thing that struck me as interesting was Mazz wondering if the NHL would do anything with regard to all the moves made at the trade deadline. His angle was that teams traded away draft picks and prospects for players that would help them get into the playoffs and advance. If there are no playoffs, those teams gave those picks away for basically no reason. Mazz didn’t really have an idea of what a solution might be and I’m not sure there is one that’s fair. A team could make a move at the trade deadline and that player could get hurt immediately or just be completely ineffective. This year, that potentially could happen to every team who made a trade. There’s no protection for making a trade that didn’t work and I’m not sure there should be.

The most useless/depressing-if-he-was-at-all-sympathetic thing was the sports updates by Tanguay. It looked like he recorded them on his phone, sitting in front of red curtain at home. It wasn’t just that there is no news to report (one of the updates was about Devin McCourty looking forward to the challenge of next season, which is a couple of days old), it was that Tanguay read them with all the enthusiasm of reciting a list of ingredients. What he was doing had no purpose and he knew it.

stabbed by foulke
    Participant

My one hope is that when the sports finally return, people realized they enjoyed the games and not the storylines, and being angry on the radio from 2:00-6:00 won’t be part of being a fan anymore.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Lefty

The most useless/depressing-if-he-was-at-all-sympathetic thing was the sports updates by Tanguay. It looked like he recorded them on his phone, sitting in front of red curtain at home. It wasn’t just that there is no news to report (one of the updates was about Devin McCourty looking forward to the challenge of next season, which is a couple of days old), it was that Tanguay read them with all the enthusiasm of reciting a list of ingredients. What he was doing had no purpose and he knew it.

So, it was just like every other day for Gary?

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

Feels like the ’90s again with Jeremy Jacobs getting killed.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Golf courses closed until at least April 19 countywide. So much for the short game. No golf, no bars, no beaches, no parks, no sports. I might as well be Amish. I know its for the greater good but I’d have to think there will be a huge surge in both alcohol and drug use on the other end of this. Or maybe that’s just me. :lol:

Mark
    Participant

The new Dark Side Of The Ring about Benoit is awesome. This is a great series. I knew Benoit and Nancy (as well as Kevin Sullivan) in the early 90s and he was one of the nicest and coolest persons I had met. Also by far the best wrestler I ever met. He was so ahead of his time. Same with Eddie Guerrero. Damn CTE.

Benoit was my favorite wrestler, an absolute buzzsaw in the ring. Sullivan always seemed like a creep. I assumed it was a cuck situation gone bad.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Hold it … Gary Tanguay is still alive?

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

People are still getting booze and drugs.  I can get a delivery or actually go to the store/dispensary.  Out here people have been sitting on their front lawns drinking, vaping and waiving to each other.  I’m actually working on my left handed runner in the driveway, buying a stupid expensive hoop that was a full on bitch to put in – 4 foot hole and close to a thousand pounds of concrete – finally starting to pay dividends.

This reminds me a lot of restaurant work – namely you stand around before your shift starts and you discuss whether or not its going to be busy that night.  It’s hot, no one will want to come out, they just want to hunker in with the AC blasting.  It’s hot, everyone will come out, no one wants to cook.  I can think of a bunch of reasons why people will go apeshit when this ends and be out all over the place.  I can also think why people might be all set with crowds or travel or whatever else in public.  More scrutiny on people touching your food and whatever else.  How much money are people saving by not going out?  Maybe they change that a bit.  We were talking yesterday about how much our company has saved in the past 2 weeks with no travel, puts more scrutiny on sales guys just looking to rack airline/hotel points.  Even if they lifted all restrictions today, now they have to get all the workers they let go back, get the restaurants/bars/hotels fired back up, supply chains re-opened.  They’d fast track it as much as possible but you gotta think workers may have moved on to something else, so it would still take time to get going and open.

Participant

I can’t get enough of these i’m going to simulate the whole baseball season people.

Coma
    Participant

Though really have to question Kevin Sullivan’s strategy about having his wife, Nancy, hang out on the road with Benoit to sell the whole angle of her really being with Benoit and low and behold she leaves Kevin for Chris. Especially with how everything played out with her life.

I don’t know how Sullivan expected this scenario to turn out well: “Hey, honey, for this angle I need you to act like your romantically involved with this younger, better looking guy. Throw yourself into the role, travel together, stay together, but don’t forget it’s an act. Meanwhile, I’m going to act like a jerk to you. The crowd will love it.”

It would have been a bigger surprise if Nancy and Kevin Sullivan stayed together after all that.

Coma
    Participant

I some of the 3rd and 4th quarter of Super Bowl 40 last night. Man, the Seahawks received a pro wrestling worthy screwjob in that game.

Trailing by 4, they start a drive from their own 2 yard line. They work the ball down the field until they reach the Pittsburgh 20, then the refs turn heel and start favoring the Steelers. Hasselbeck completes a pass to Jerramy Stevens down to the 1, but it gets called back by a holding call. On the replay, not only does it look like the Steelers linebacker crossed the line early, John Madden says something like “There may have been a hold on that play, but I didn’t see anything there.” Hasselbeck gets sacked on 1st and 20. On 2nd down, Shaun Alexander picks up 7, but gets horse collar tackled. Beginning in the 2005 season, horse collar tackles were now a 15 yard personal foul. Somehow, the officials miss it on the league MVP in the Super Bowl. Then, Hasselbeck throws an INT and gets called for “low block” personal foul when tackling the defensive back who intercepted the pass. He did just launch himself in front of the guy to trip him up, but if a defender does that, it doesn’t get called. The Steelers scored a TD on the ensuing drive and that sealed the game for them.

Seahawks fans seem more upset about losing to the Patriots in SB 49 than having this game stolen from them.

Lebron
    Participant

That was such a terrible game. I remember thinking to myself I can’t watch these games without the Patriots participating.

Lebron
    Participant

Curly Neal won’t be down to take the Washington Generals to the woodshed.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Sullivan was actually very insistent that they sold it completely from staying in the same hotel room, hanging all over each other even when the camera’s weren’t rolling in case the casual fan saw them, etc because this was around the time when fans were getting “smart” and knowing a lot of things were angles because of the internet. So he told them both (he was one of the head bookers) to act over the top as if they were in love. I don’t know many people living together on the road, especially in that chaotic lifestyle, where that wouldn’t have been the outcome.

Hacksaw
    Participant

I have heard in some interviews Kevin Sullivan say he and Nancy were already on the outs, but that angle sealed the deal.

He could be doing damage control, but I think Sullivan and Nancy were just a typical 80’s bat shit crazy Floridian couple in a circus business.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Something that they really didn’t touch on but did shed some light on for me. Back in the mid 90’s there was this rumor that both Johnny Grunge and Rocco Rock (Public Enemy) used to joke about at the ECW shows in Philly about how Benoit and Eddy (and later Malenko) were a thing. Back then everyone just laughed it off as trash talking. But seeing how devastated they made it seem like Benoit was after Eddy’s death and how he still wrote to him in his diary (which I had never heard before) maybe there was something to that.

My alltime favorite Benoit non-wrestling moment. It was an ECW show around 1995 and there was an internet wrestling convention going on that did a Q&A before the show. Benoit was one of the greatest guys with talking to fans, taking pics and all that. Then during the show he’s giving a heel promo (it was being taped for TV) and he starts railing on the “ECW Internet Fuckheads who are here….” and instead of getting heel heat the entire section of crowd starts to chant “We’re The Fuckheads. We’re The Fuckheads” and Benoit just loses it laughing while still trying to do the heel spot (he might have been feuding with Sabu at this point after accidentally dropping him on his head on a blown move which lead to “The Crippler” moniker. Leave it to Paul E. to capitalize on a near death).

Sabu still being alive (and doing shows on Vice watching Action Bronson get stoned while watching Ancient Aliens) and Benoit being dead and a double murderer had to have paid a billion to one back in the 90’s.

Nashua Dad
    Participant

I’ve stumbled into a world I am completely unaware of but everyone seems very well versed.

Lebron
    Participant

The Crippler!  Come on, that was Ray Stevens, who piledrove Jimmy Superfly Snuka into the concrete not once but twice after Snuka dumped Capt. Lou Albano as his manager!

Coma
    Participant

That was such a terrible game. I remember thinking to myself I can’t watch these games without the Patriots participating.

For Pittsburgh’s offense to be as terrible as they were, particularly Bettis and Roethlisberger, and still win by 11 means that was a tough game to watch. I wonder if the Pittsburgh media took the Steelers to task for having to rely on a gimmick play (Randle El’s pass to Ward) to put the game away.

In terms of bad calls, I had forgotten about Roethlisberger’s rushing TD where it’s not clear the ball ever broke the plane.

Hacksaw
    Participant

If S.D. Jones was piledriven on concrete the concrete would crack.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 117 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar