Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 3/23-3/29/2020 Weekly Discussion Thread

• This topic has 117 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 5 days ago by 02062.
Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 117 total)
  • Author

Is he fucking kidding?

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Norwood Zip
    Participant

Flanders posting a mirrored selfie pic like the young people.

Hold it … Gary Tanguay is still alive?

My oldest and I rented “Knives Out”, and she couldn’t understand why I burst out laughing when a certain moleman-looking local newscaster character appeared on screen.

Yahtzee
    Participant

I forgot about that. I did the same thing in the theatre.

Participant

Coach Cheesie.

stabbed by foulke
    Participant

Curly Neal could still beat this guy one-on-one today.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Participant

“What would your message be to New York, to New Jersey, to all of America really, during this harrowing time fighting the coronavirus?”

Was this a question for:

The President

Governor

Member of congrees

Eli Manning

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

I guess the glow of a bailout wore off right quick.

Lebron
    Participant

College football cancels spring practices, no great shock obviously, but no spring workouts, no spring games etc., have to wonder about the season.  I’m sure boosters aren’t pumping in the money like they usually have.  And of course if fall classes get effected, could they even have games anyhow?

Coma
    Participant

The Crippler! Come on, that was Ray Stevens, who piledrove Jimmy Superfly Snuka into the concrete not once but twice after Snuka dumped Capt. Lou Albano as his manager!

I remember watching that. Looking back at the match results, after Snuka came back from his “injury,” his first matches weren’t with Stevens but were against Albano. For 3 days in a row, Snuka defeated Albano in matches that were stopped due to excessive blood loss by Albano. They had one more match at MSG with the same ending. After that, Snuka won when Albano just left the ring and was counted out. I have to believe the early results were done to satisfy the audience’s need to see Snuka get revenge. They probably went to different ending so the “blood loss” didn’t become stale, but also because Albano was tired of having to cut his forehead.

Lebron
    Participant

I caught a Stevens-Snuka match post piledrivers at the Worcester Auditorium.  Might have honestly been the craziest crowd I’ve ever been in.  I used to go to CBA games there too, the Bombardiers with Michael Adams.  Great times.

Lebron
    Participant

Listening to the Simmons podcast with Vedder and Ament.  They go on a tangent about how great the old Paul Schaeffer band on Letterman was and Simmons goes in to how SNL had some good bands and hey when you guys played the first time they had a great band.  I’m like half a Pearl Jam fan but I know shit like how their drummer at that point had left the band to join the SNL band.  And along those lines you have the 2 guys who supposedly wanted to get rid of the replacement drummer Abbruzesse who was snubbed at the HOF induction, I dunno maybe ask them about that stuff a bit?  It’s a 2 hour plus podcast.  Of course those guys might have said don’t ask about that, and I get you don’t want to piss your interview subjects off.  Or maybe its me because I pretty much jumped off the bandwagon when they fired him so I’d be interested in that stuff.

Lebron
    Participant

Simmons talking about bands and says a band like Greta Van Fleet will stay together because they’re related and all bands that have relatives in them stay together and/or get along great.  Like Credence, the Kinks, Oasis, etc.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    jforb
    Participant

Having a much harder time coming up with a band of relatives that didn’t implode.

Hacksaw
    Participant

I would like to know what metrics the Iron Sheik was using to claim Iran was number one.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Yahtzee
    Participant

Having a much harder time coming up with a band of relatives that didn’t implode.

Presumably he was thinking of The Osmond Family and the Jackson 5.

Lebron
    Participant

To be clear, Iran was a co number 1, Russia was also number 1.  America was ‘hah, phooey!’ which I’m not sure where that ranks.

I wonder how they worked stuff or made decisions on a guy like Bob Backlund losing the title to Iron Sheik, who held it for like a month or 6 weeks and surrendered it to Hulk Hogan. Backlund was the champ forever, and he was boring as fuck.  Why choose the Iron Sheik?  He was in the WWF for a bit then left then came back and was made champ pretty quickly.  Then gave it up just as quick.

Coma
    Participant

To be clear, Iran was a co number 1, Russia was also number 1. America was ‘hah, phooey!’ which I’m not sure where that ranks.

I wonder how they worked stuff or made decisions on a guy like Bob Backlund losing the title to Iron Sheik, who held it for like a month or 6 weeks and surrendered it to Hulk Hogan. Backlund was the champ forever, and he was boring as fuck. Why choose the Iron Sheik? He was in the WWF for a bit then left then came back and was made champ pretty quickly. Then gave it up just as quick.

Last week, I started watching the Amazon Prime documentary on the Iron Sheik that touched on that decision. Vince McMahon Jr. wanted to transition from Backlund to Hogan as champion. Since they were both good guys, that wasn’t a real marketable match-up and it would make the crowd choose sides. Plus, Backlund wasn’t too keen on the idea of losing to Hogan because he didn’t have a “real” wrestling background like Backlund did. Backlund was agreeable to losing to the Sheik because he actually had credentials as an amateur wrestler when he was in Iran. Backlund loses to the Sheik, the crowd is upset because their babyface champion lost to an evil foreigner. Hogan comes in as the new challenger, beats the villain for the belt and now the crowd is 100% behind him as the champion and the top babyface in the company.

Coma
    Participant

Doris Burke announced that she has tested positive for the coronavirus. Has the virus now entered “He had some good ideas” territory?

Lebron
    Participant

Something like #NotDoris or #NotDorisBurke was trending.  Jesus people get a fucking life.  She’s fine.

Lebron
    Participant

I love how Goodell said it was unanimous amongst owners to hold the draft on the same dates, everyone supports it … but if any of you shitheads speaks negatively or out of line and I’ll discipline your ass so hard it will make your head spin.  If you’re an owner, why would you put up with that shit?  And why worry about it if it’s unanimous?  That league is gonna burn.

jforb
    Participant

Is her psa about corona “stay home and shut your clam”?

Norwood Zip
    Participant

Nelson?

Norwood Zip
    Participant

I would like to know what metrics the Iron Sheik was using to claim Iran was number one.

Eye test?

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Norwood Zip
    Participant

”Backlund sustained a (kayfabe) arm injury when The Iron Sheik assaulted him with his Persian Clubs”

Simper times.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 117 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar