Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 3/23-3/29/2020 Weekly Discussion Thread

Viewing 17 posts - 101 through 117 (of 117 total)
  • Author
    Hacksaw
    Participant

Reagarding Backlund as champ, Vince McMhanon Sr., saw that a lot of the territories had a lot of really good heels where he could trade talent back and forth. He made bet with another promoter that he could keep a babyface a champion for a long period of time (4 to 5 years)…he was going to use Bob Backlund or Steve Keirn as his champion. He went with Backlund because he had that more all Amererican look and the fans would think he couldn’t go toe with toe guys like Blackjack Mullgan, Killer Kahn etc…

Also I had asked Kevin Sullivan if he ever wrestled Backlund and he said he did while Backlund was champ. It was a cross promotion match in Florida. Said it was one of the most fun matches he ever had.

Also regarding Snuka’s return and beating the crap out of Albano…I know I saw one match in Hartford.

Ray Stevens
    Albano
    Playboy Buddy Rose

Vs
    Snuka
    Rocky Johnson
    Arnold Skaaland

Albano and Stevens took off mid match left Buddy Rose high and dry Skaaland got the pin with the aid of a drop kick from Snuka.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Hacksaw.
    3 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

I used to love the crowd chanting Fat Boy! at Playboy Buddy Rose.  He sucked.  Like The Honky Tonk Man

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Hacksaw
    Participant

PBR “My drivers license says I am a slim trim 217 lbs.”

Lebron
    Participant

None of these seasons are going to get started back up.  Even if you get to a point of normalcy none of the players are in shape, the arenas are otherwise booked, none of the help that’s been shitcanned is going to just jump at the ready.  The NFL won’t care I supposed, they hate their players anyhow, pretty sure they’d rather just kill them and keep the money, and the fans are the dumbest people in the world.  But hockey or basketball?  No way.  Especially basketball and ‘load management’ they won’t get enough of a break between seasons.  Baseball they could probably just skip 5 years and no one would notice.   Soccer clubs in Italy have their guys taking pay cuts, sounds like La Liga in Spain will do the same.  EPL saying we’re going to finish the season no matter what is looking dumber by the day.  Golf and tennis are going to get screwed majors wise.  I don’t think college football is happening either.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    BrianInLA
    Participant

LAX to Fort Lauderdale roundtrip is $24. Back in the day we used to joke around and look at airfare to places you’d never want to go.  Lebanon, Syria, etc. Anyplace in Florida would right now round out the top 3.

BrianInLA
    Participant

The US Open (golf) may get moved to September for the first time in about 100 years. I don’t see how they make up any of these tournaments as the schedule is almost nonstop aside from the holidays and very dependent upon seasonal weather. No one wants to be playing events in the deep south during August nor the northern cities in November.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Humphrey
    Participant

I’m hoping the Globe is still prosperous enough to send Lord Douchepont to cover the 2022 Olympic hockey tournament….in Beijing.

jforb
    Participant

Saw something the other day that college football was thinking about squeezing in a season over the summer somehow in case it flares up again in the fall. SEC games in July must be fun.

Also saw a few suggestions (think it was NBA and some of the soccer leagues) to shift their calendar for the next season or two to have the full offseason and then work around the Olympics and other international tournaments.

Think baseball agreed to expanded rosters to start the season so they’re planning on some shitty games where no one’s in shape.

Coma
    Participant

Derek Wolfe signed a 1 year deal with the Ravens today. I imagine part of the pitch from Baltimore was “You seem like a real dickhead. You’ll fit in great around here.”

3 users thanked author for this post.
    BrianInLA
    Participant

If the mlb season gets canceled I’ve seen some talk players get credit for the season. So on something like the Betts trade do the Sox just keep the players from the Dodgers and then Betts is a free agent? I’m sure the answer is already out there but I’m pulling a Simmons and claiming it’s too hard.

Hacksaw
    Participant

Tampa has to pay Brady if they don’t play?

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Hacksaw.
    Lefty

If the mlb season gets canceled I’ve seen some talk players get credit for the season. So on something like the Betts trade do the Sox just keep the players from the Dodgers and then Betts is a free agent? I’m sure the answer is already out there but I’m pulling a Simmons and claiming it’s too hard.

Yes, I did read that could happen.   Betts would be a free agent without ever having played for the Dodgers.

Lebron
    Participant

Correct.  Betts is a free agent regardless in November. I think they just negotiated that a few days ago.  Admittedly I’d laugh if the Dodgers pay Betts 20 mil or whatever he never plays then he walks.  Although I’d fully expect there would be a pay reduction if there is no season

Coma
    Participant

I’m not sure why, but I watched a decent chunk of the first 2 quarters of SB 42. I’m sure you all remember how the game developed: The Giants go on a long drive and kick a FG. The Patriots respond with a drive for a TD, then the Giants move into the red zone, but Eli throws an interception. Hobbs brings it back to the 33 and I thought the same thing I thought 12 years ago: “They score a TD here to go up 11 and this game is over.” Instead, they went 3 and out.

Looking back on it, that whole drive focused on Maroney. He picked up 8 yards on a reception on 1st down, picked up another yard on a carry on 2nd won, but then was dropped for a loss on 3rd and 1. I know, it’s Maroney, but he had played pretty well up to that point. He had a great kickoff return on the Patriots first possession, picked up 14 yards on his first 2 carries and then had a 1 yard TD run. In hindsight, I don’t know why, on 2nd or 3rd down, they didn’t go to any of the other weaponz that team had. New England had 4 more possessions after that to put points up and failed to do so, so it’s not like the game hinged on that drive. It’s just something that stuck out to me before I had to turn it off.

Lebron
    Participant

My bold prediction heading into that game was Maroney was going to go off.  Had a great game against Jacksonville in the divisional round, just liked him heading in to that game, especially after the initial TD.  Then nothing.  God that sucked.  I have that game on the DVR foiling myself thinking I’ll watch it and I can’t.  Thought of that game last week with the Gostkowski transaction, specifically passing on the 50 yarder and going for it on 4th and 13 or maybe it was 17.  Supposedly he was a hot mess pregame, spraying it all over and that factored in.  I think heading in to that game the story goes they had a terrible week of practice in general.

Humphrey
    Participant

The FG attempt would have been 48 yards, so the NYG would have gotten the ball back at their 38.

One other thing that screwed the Pats on that drive was it took them nearly 9 minutes to get nothing, which played right into the Giants’ hands. The Pats only had 8 significant possessions in the game, the 9th was after the winning TD with less than 30 seconds left.

You’re 100% right, it is a game I never want to watch again.

The other SB loss to the Giants; prior to that game the Pats had run a play very well that was an inside reverse/trap of sorts with Hernandez as the ballcarrier. They didn’t try that play once in that game, always wondered why. Maybe because Gronk was 60% of Gronk and they didn’t want to take the risk of Hernandez going down? They didn’t have a lot going on the ground; IIRC it was the Law Firm with all his deficiencies.

Participant

The player.

THE PLAYER

The all-pro pass-rusher of the Arizona Cardinals, Chandler Jones, lives in a lovely home in a Phoenix suburb. He has an in-home gym and an in-home movie theater. Often his friends have come over to enjoy both. But not now. “My friends are home too. They have asked me, ‘Hey, can I come use your gym?’ I tell them no. Nobody can come over. I’m not being paranoid about this. I’m being cautious. My house is off-limits.”

Jones said he has been watching movies that creep him out. :pk: To each his own. He’s watched “Contagion” and “Pandemic” in his in-home theater. Alone. (Why not just turn on the TV and watch news?):pk:

Makes you think.

I was nine-tenths of a mile from the Brooklyn Hospital Center, the place, according to the New York Times, where Dr. Anthony Fauci was born.

We all do Peter, we all do.

a. I miss baseball.

b. I really miss baseball.

Makes you think Part II

Fifty cases of COVID-19 in Montclair, N.J., where we raised our kids and lives for 19 years—and 10 dead.

Viewing 17 posts - 101 through 117 (of 117 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar