Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 3/24 – 3/25 Weekend Thread

This topic contains 22 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Fred West Lynn 8 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Lefty

Duron Harmon busted trying to bring about 3 ounces of weed into Costa Rica.    They basically turned him around and sent him home.  Probably will get a few games from Fuhrer Goodell’s office.

Plus, if there was ever a chance of the NFL relaxing on pot, the fact a Pat got caught means they will probably make it a longer suspendable offense now.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

If Cris Carter knew what ‘exonerated’ meant, he would feel that way.

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

CornerBlitz
    Participant

I’m not thrilled about the loss of Fleming, but It is what it is.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

We may not get to a second page this weekend.  :-(

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Will we get to double digit posts?

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Globe’s online sports page is leading with the Harmon bust. :dry:

Maybe if Steven Wright mellowed out with a little gardening, he wouldn’t have a 15-gamer for domestic violence hung on him.

Just sayin’.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Never mind.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by  Yahtzee.

Hacksaw
    Participant

Did Mustard and Johnson have Bill Belichick on today?

(Just trying to get to a second page)

Yahtzee
    Participant

Did Mustard and Johnson have Bill Belichick on today? (Just trying to get to a second page)

I heard the last 5 minutes of the show.  They were bantering with a caller about condoms. It was as bad as you’d think.

Coma
    Participant

FSF started off yesterday’s thread with a tweet about Troy Vincent describing the process of working backwards to come up with the new catch rule. Vincent also used the Corey Clement TD reception in the SB as an example of how the new rule would work and that play would unquestionably be a TD. Michael Hurley posted an article yesterday (link) that pointed out the problem with Vincent’s use of that play as an example: It was called a TD and then upheld on review under the “old” rules, which weren’t as forgiving about “slight movements” of the football. An argument can be made that Vincent is saying the officials got the call wrong based on the rules in use at the time.

Vincent’s comments on this topic came from an interview he did with Dan Patrick, but that wasn’t the only matter he discussed. Much like I’m doing in this post, I think Hurley buried the lede because the article also included this:

But, well, speaking of full-blown scandals, Vincent was also asked by Patrick if the NFL would consider taking away all rules on football preparation. Patrick argued that quarterbacks should be able to prepare the footballs however they want, and that nobody in the world cares about inflation levels or PSI numbers or anything like that.

Vincent, who played a central role in letting the “DeflateGate” story grow completely out of hand in January 2015, agreed wholeheartedly.

“That is something that has been discussed and I think the fans, I think that’s what the fans want,” Vincent said of Patrick’s suggestion. “They want to see their quarterback with the ball in his hand, with an opportunity to score again. Under his terms. Under his likings.”

Vincent continued: “This is what the fans want. They want points and they want to see their star with an opportunity to win the game or to score more points.”

Coming from Vincent, this is insanity. I know the court case was about the league’s ability to punish Brady however they wanted, but Goodell, Vincent and company made the PSI of a football the most sacred measurement in all of sports. Tamper with it and the keys to unlimited success were yours. You’d never fumble, all your passes would be complete, you could throw further and more accurately than anyone else. Get caught tampering with the PSI, though, and you’d be damned for all eternity.

3 years ago, this was vital to the legitimacy of the league. If one team was using a football that was out of the range of the mandated PSI, they had a huge, game-changing advantage over the opposition. You might was well have let them play 15 on 11. Now? Eh, let’s let guys change it to whatever they want. 15 PSI, 9 PSI, whatever. If it works for that QB and their more effective, that’s great. People want to see catches and TDs.

I’m preaching to the choir here, but the most galling part of this is that the NFL knew all this in 2015. They could have treated the whole thing as minor equipment violation, doled out a $25k fine and made the Patriot suspend McNally for 4 games. Then they could have said these PSI rules are antiquated and opened up the range to 10-15 PSI or something like that. Time, millions of dollars, Brady’s reputation, some college player’s dream of being a first round pick all could have been saved. Goodell, Vincent and anyone who works with them or supports them are all terrible, terrible people. In another time and place, they’d all be war criminals.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by  Coma.

Participant

Did Mustard and Johnson have Bill Belichick on today? (Just trying to get to a second page)

I heard the last 5 minutes of the show. They were bantering with a caller about condoms. It was as bad as you’d think.

“Cwaig, i carried the same wubber in my wallet all the way thru high school. BWAHAHAHAHA.”

Yahtzee
    Participant

One highlight from the game last night . . . Danny Ainge filing in with the masses through the metal detectors at the hoi polloi entrance of the Garden.

jforb
    Participant

Will we get to double digit posts?

Long way to go to beat 7861.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Not a surprise, but Nick Cafardo thinks the 2018 Yankees are going ALL. THE. WAY.  He does stop short of saying they’ll win 125 games during the regular season and sweep the ALDS, ALCS and World Series, though.  In his Sunday notes column, he’s got A-Rod (an impartial observer, although he’s a member of the Yankees’ front office) calling their big-league roster “the most talented I’ve ever seen” and Nick’s also pumping the tires of prospects in the Yankee system that are a year or two away from coming up.

Nick seems to be applying his personal take-the-path-of-least resistance mantra of “I give up” to the rest of baseball.

Humphrey
    Participant

Don’t want to disparage board favorite Bunny Colvin (a/k/a Leonard Hamilton) but I just saw where the spread was Michigan giving 4.5….and the ‘Noles let the clock run out down 4.

:pk:

Yahtzee
    Participant

Fvck Dvke

Yahtzee
    Participant

Kansas has had open 3’s. Just missed.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Maybe karma had a bit to do with that not falling in.  Little lack-of-integrity punk.

Humphrey
    Participant

Kansas has had open 3’s. Just missed.

Coach K seems stubborn in keeping running that defense that keeps giving Newman open 3s.

Participant

Suzy, your thoughts?

Took Pedroia in the 25th and final round. I’ve had him every season since he came up. I can’t stop now. He probably… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/977011975187324928

Coma
    Participant

One highlight from the game last night . . . Danny Ainge filing in with the masses through the metal detectors at the hoi polloi entrance of the Garden.

Was it just you, Ainge and the families of the coaches and players in attendance? Buckley told us that no one in Boston cares about college basketball and nobody would show up.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Not a surprise, but Nick Cafardo thinks the 2018 Yankees are going ALL. THE. WAY. He does stop short of saying they’ll win 125 games during the regular season and sweep the ALDS, ALCS and World Series, though. In his Sunday notes column, he’s got A-Rod (an impartial observer, although he’s a member of the Yankees’ front office) calling their big-league roster “the most talented I’ve ever seen” and Nick’s also pumping the tires of prospects in the Yankee system that are a year or two away from coming up. Nick seems to be applying his personal take-the-path-of-least resistance mantra of “I give up” to the rest of baseball.

He drops this line:

2. Aaron Judge, RF, Yankees — Judge is making huge strides in being a team leader. His teammates have great respect for him, even as he enters just his second full season.

I hope Judge gets a DUI tonight.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

Not a surprise, but Nick Cafardo thinks the 2018 Yankees are going ALL. THE. WAY. He does stop short of saying they’ll win 125 games during the regular season and sweep the ALDS, ALCS and World Series, though. In his Sunday notes column, he’s got A-Rod (an impartial observer, although he’s a member of the Yankees’ front office) calling their big-league roster “the most talented I’ve ever seen” and Nick’s also pumping the tires of prospects in the Yankee system that are a year or two away from coming up. Nick seems to be applying his personal take-the-path-of-least resistance mantra of “I give up” to the rest of baseball.

I circled this gem as well — including praising ARod as “extremely insightful,” which indicates Nick has him on his source-to-fluff list. The other prize the ever-insightful Nick padded his Notes with was some slobbering over one RHP Jeremy Hellickson who “showed a lot of wear and tear on his arm during the stretch with the Orioles…” I didn’t realize how pressure-packed the Orioles’ drive for last place, 18 GB, and a 2-8 in their last 10 games was. He must have been chatting with Douquette again.

But Nick’s one-of-a-kind analysis doesn’t stop there. He finishes with “Ultimately,  the Nationals beat out the Marlins for the righthander.” That would be the Fire Sale ’18 Marlins, correct? The team shedding payroll as quickly as they logistically can? JUST BARELY losing out on a worn-down righthander looking for a free agent payday after splitting time between the Phillies and Orioles who was 8-11  for $17MM last year. Crack reporter Nick somehow forgets to mention his age (31 this season) and last year’s ERA (.543). Must have been a fearsome battle for his services.

I wish Baseball Reference listed the players’ agents. It would make deciphering Nick so much easier.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar