Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 3/25-3/31/2019 Weekly Thread – The First Post-Gronk Edition

Tagged: 

This topic contains 187 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by  Nashua Dad 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 188 total)
  • Author

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

MIIIKE! WEAR R DA WEAPONZ????????

3 users thanked author for this post.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

It’s childish to believe that Gronk is going to have some epiphany this fall and show up rested and ready to play around Halloween, right?

2 users thanked author for this post.

Had Gronk been a bust, I’m sure Almost a Coach would have similarly equivocated that the “I don’t see it.  At all” was the evaluation he was hearing at the time, and not his own. I’m sure he’d never take a victory lap for someone else’s opinion.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Had Gronk been a bust, I’m sure Almost a Coach would have similarly equivocated that the “I don’t see it. At all” was the evaluation he was hearing at the time, and not his own. I’m sure he’d never take a victory lap for someone else’s opinion.

That admission is far worse than if he saw him and blew the evaluation.

Did anyone follow up to say “OK, so everything you say should be assumed to be completely unfounded then?”

Lebron
    Participant

I love that the people saying Gronkowski is such a huge loss you don’t replace him are the same people who said all year Gronkowski is always hurt and is a shell of himself.

jforb
    Participant

You know what I don’t see? Any BSJ growth. At all.

Last week: 0, 0, 0, 0, 4, 0, 0.

Suzy
    Participant

I love that the people saying Gronkowski is such a huge loss you don’t replace him are the same people who said all year Gronkowski is always hurt and is a shell of himself.

There’s so much horse shit out there.

He’s overrated!

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Come on, folks!  Lay off Almost-a-Coach!

In 2010 he said, “I don’t see it. At all.”   In 2019 he said, “I never watched him play.”

HE WAS TELLING THE TRUTH ALL ALONG!   :lol:

5 users thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

I was aware of Gronkowski in college only because I attended Arizona albeit like 15+ years prior and so like a weirdo I still ‘follow’ the team.  I was extremely excited when they drafted him, much like I was when the Patriots drafted Chris Singleton and Tedy Bruschi.   I’m glad those guys made contributions to both the college and pro teams I follow, granted Singleton didn’t exactly drape himself in glory on the field but he donated a kidney to his ailing twin brother so I always thought he was a good guy.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

It’s childish to believe that Gronk is going to have some epiphany this fall and show up rested and ready to play around Halloween, right?

If he does they’ll be changing the retirement rules next offseason.

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

Seems that proposal for the 4th-and-15 replacement for the onside kick is fourth quarter only, one-time only.

Even before it passes, they’re taking away the Patriots’ creative use of the rule.

Suzy
    Participant

Come on, folks! Lay off Almost-a-Coach!

In 2010 he said, “I don’t see it. At all.” In 2019 he said, “I never watched him play.”

HE WAS TELLING THE TRUTH ALL ALONG! :lol:

In addition to being obnoxious, smug, and terrible at what he does, he’s utterly disingenuous. AAC is approaching Fatty territory.

Lebron
    Participant

That’s a great rule.  It only comes in to play during this 15 minute period.  Jesus.  That fucking league.

Nick B
    Participant

Seems that proposal for the 4th-and-15 replacement for the onside kick is fourth quarter only, one-time only.

Even before it passes, they’re taking away the Patriots’ creative use of the rule.

so a team down by say 17 scores with  1:30 left, converts the 4th and 15, goes on to score closing the gap to 3. can’t do another 4th and 15.  just so wrong.  you’ve done it again Roger.

5 users thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

Another example of Bill being so much better than the rest of these shitbirds

“I was really surprised by Sizz [Suggs],” Harbaugh said. “That was one I was shocked by. I expected him to be there but when I heard his reasoning and what I thought he was thinking, then I said OK.”

Sizz!  I’m sure Brother John will cry deception.

Sizz – is that the sound bleach makes when it makes contact with skin?

6 users thanked author for this post.

GusChiggins
    Participant

Coach Craig has been a mess about that Gronk tweet from the start. I remember him mentioning that he really meant it was the back injury that caused concern. Ok, so why didn’t you say that? A perfectly defensible tweet from a professional writer would’ve been:

According to one scout who has seen Gronk’s medicals, they don’t think he can hold up to the grind of an NFL season.

It would’ve been wrong but it makes sense. Instead, Craig took another shot at the Pats and it blew up in his face. I’m thankful it happened.

On the bright side, Craig learned his lesson on draft evaulting and hired the mega talented Loyko…

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

so a team down by say 17 scores with 1:30 left, converts the 4th and 15, goes on to score closing the gap to 3. can’t do another 4th and 15. just so wrong. you’ve done it again Roger.

I think you can still do a surprise onside kick as well.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Coach Craig has been a mess about that Gronk tweet from the start. I remember him mentioning that he really meant it was the back injury that caused concern. Ok, so why didn’t you say that? A perfectly defensible tweet from a professional writer would’ve been:

According to one scout who has seen Gronk’s medicals, they don’t think he can hold up to the grind of an NFL season.

It would’ve been wrong but it makes sense. Instead, Craig took another shot at the Pats and it blew up in his face. I’m thankful it happened.

On the bright side, Craig learned his lesson on draft evaulting and hired the mega talented Loyko…

Did he make the tweet before or after Gronk was drafted? From context I assumed before.

Lebron
    Participant

Bedard also going with “hey I was just going by what teams told me!”  ‘Teams’ were talking to him.  Yeah, right.

Suzy
    Participant

Bedard also going with “hey I was just going by what teams told me!” ‘Teams’ were talking to him. Yeah, right.

The very first thing I thought as well.

Big Fat O
    Participant

Coach Betard is no better than the rest of the arrogant media members we will fight to the death to say they were right.

What team is going to talk to him about players. In his dreams he gets the call “Greg, who do you think we should draft with our first pick”.

BrianInLA
    Participant

I was going to ask if a team has to declare it wants to go for the 4th and 15 or can it still sneak in an onsides kick? Sort of like if you go for 2 you now have to announce it so they can move the football (which sort of goes against the whole flow of the game) to the appropriate spot on the field which got rid of the surprise “go for 2” as there is no longer a surprise when you announce you’re doing it and move the football. Now I suppose I team could try to go for 2 from the kick formation 15 or so yards back but that would be stupid.

This is just so dumb but I shouldn’t complain as the Pats will be the team that will exploit it. Just like with every new rule change. Change the kickoff return rule? Fine. We’ll no longer kick it into the end zone and practice kicking it to the 1.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

This 4th and 15 thing is really stupid. Is it an un-timed down like an extra point? Or does time elapse normally, like during a regular onside kick? What about using the 4th-and-15 to negate what happened to the Pats in Miami last year? Instead of kicking off with 5 seconds left in the game (or whatever), giving the Dolphins a chance, why not just declare you’re going to try the 4th-and-15 (despite having the lead), and just run a play that takes longer than 5 seconds? Doesn’t matter if you convert. Game’s over, and Miami never touches the ball.

The kickoff-lateral thing like in Miami (or the Music City Miracle) would essentially be legislated out of the game.

6 users thanked author for this post.

Coma
    Participant

This 4th and 15 thing is really stupid. Is it an un-timed down like an extra point? Or does time elapse normally, like during a regular onside kick? What about using the 4th-and-15 to negate what happened to the Pats in Miami last year? Instead of kicking off with 5 seconds left in the game (or whatever), giving the Dolphins a chance, why not just declare you’re going to try the 4th-and-15 (despite having the lead), and just run a play that takes longer than 5 seconds? Doesn’t matter if you convert. Game’s over, and Miami never touches the ball.

The kickoff-lateral thing like in Miami (or the Music City Miracle) would essentially be legislated out of the game.

I guarantee you the people championing this rule change have never considered that scenario. It’s only been considered from the standpoint of “If your team is trailing late in the game, here’s an option instead of an onside kick,” never from a “Your team has the lead in a close game and you want to run out the clock instead of kicking off” perspective. That will be part of the 2020 offseason rule changes.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 188 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar