Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 3/25-3/31/2019 Weekly Thread – The First Post-Gronk Edition

Tagged: 

This topic contains 187 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by  Nashua Dad 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 188 total)
  • Author

Coma
    Participant

Bedard also going with “hey I was just going by what teams told me!” ‘Teams’ were talking to him. Yeah, right.

If Almost-A-Coach wasn’t covering the draft, why teams talking to him and why was he asking about their draft plans? Seems contradictory.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Feejis
    Participant

This 4th and 15 thing is really stupid. Is it an un-timed down like an extra point? Or does time elapse normally, like during a regular onside kick? What about using the 4th-and-15 to negate what happened to the Pats in Miami last year? Instead of kicking off with 5 seconds left in the game (or whatever), giving the Dolphins a chance, why not just declare you’re going to try the 4th-and-15 (despite having the lead), and just run a play that takes longer than 5 seconds? Doesn’t matter if you convert. Game’s over, and Miami never touches the ball.

The kickoff-lateral thing like in Miami (or the Music City Miracle) would essentially be legislated out of the game.

My ignorance of NFL formation rules applies to this question but in this scenario, could the Pats line up at the 35 with White as the lone tailback 20 yards behind the LOS. Brady takes the snap turns and throws it 20 yards backwards, time runs out? Imagine the outrage then?

I also haven’t followed the details of this proposal. If you fail on the 4th and 15 the opponent presumably gets the ball where you lost it? Can you do a pooch punt?

jforb
    Participant

This one of us? Not to go all last thing I saw but it’s the greatest thing ever.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Humphrey
    Participant

The guy’s good whoever he is. Maybe LJS is back under a different guise?

Lebron
    Participant

Speaking of changing the rules

@tomecurran

7m7 minutes ago

Patriots will host the opener on Sunday night as opposed to Thursday opener. No opponent yet revealed.

You know how we’ve had the Super Bowl winner host the inaugural game of the following season as a reward for winning and having the focus solely on them for the evening?  Yeah, scratch that.

4 users thanked author for this post.

GusChiggins
    Participant

I’m surprised the NFL didn’t strongarm NBC and make the Pats play on Monday night, quite frankly.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Yahtzee
    Participant

I’m surprised the NFL didn’t strongarm NBC and make the Pats play on Monday night, quite frankly.

In Mexico City

Coma
    Participant

Speaking of changing the rules

@tomecurran

7m7 minutes ago

Patriots will host the opener on Sunday night as opposed to Thursday opener. No opponent yet revealed.

You know how we’ve had the Super Bowl winner host the inaugural game of the following season as a reward for winning and having the focus solely on them for the evening? Yeah, scratch that.

I believe that decision is due to the NFL’s 100th anniversary next season and the desire to feature teams like the Bears and Packers in the Thursday night game. Building off what Gus mentioned, the league could have the Patriots play on Thursday night and then use the Sunday and Monday night games to promote the “historic” match-ups. That way, they could honor the past and keep their new traditions intact.

As an aside, I might be alone here, but I’m unimpressed with the NFL’s 100th season logo. I couldn’t come up with something better, but it looks like a graphic for an event at the combine or at the Pro Bowl skills competition:

GusChiggins
    Participant

Kingasaurus is not going to like that logo. Or really anybody with a sense of classic style. Dreadful, par for the course with that league.

Feejis
    Participant

Take the current shield logo. Add a stylized 1 to the left of the football, replace  the football with a football shaped “0” and add another football shaped “0”.

PTT

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Gee, another Bears-Packers nationally televised game? Hubba hubba.

Maybe they’ll wear those funky throw-back uniforms that are perhaps the butt-ugliest unis in professional sports! Why not leather helmets and no face guards? Exhume Curly Lambeau and George Halas to prowl the sidelines!

Nashua Dad
    Participant

Maybe they’ll wear those funky throw-back uniforms that are perhaps the butt-ugliest unis in professional sports! Why not leather helmets and no face guards? Exhume Curly Lambeau and George Halas to prowl the sidelines!

I’d be surprised if they didn’t have holograms and Ditka on the sidelines.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by  Nashua Dad.

Lebron
    Participant

Liked this from the McBride piece where Bill is talking about how he likes the Pro Days

“It’s great to get out and see the players, talk to the coaches and scouts,” Belichick said. “Some of the coaches you don’t get to see much during the season, you can actually have a conversation with them now. Before games they don’t always feel like talking to me and I don’t feel like talking to them — and after the game [there’s no time]. So, this is a good chance to catch up and say hello.’’

Huh, I thought Bill was just a raging asshole that purposefully blew everyone off all the time.

5 users thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

Endless references to why they’re called the Packers and the uniqueness of Green Bay and the bikes bullshit.  Packers-Bears is on par with Cowboys-Giants in terms of watchability.

Feejis
    Participant

Does the Thursday opener usually get huge ratings?

Will Bears/Packers or whoever plus Pats on Sunday be better ratings wise than Pats on Thursday and their best handpicked matchup on Sunday? I can’t imagine it would.

BrianInLA
    Participant

I’m pretty sure I wont be watching that opener. Of course things could change but right now I have zero interest in watching anything other than the Pats on a Thursday afternoon in late summer and having to hear the waxing poetic about whomever they are waxing about.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

I think the best argument against what the NFL has done that I saw here was that moving the Super Bowl champions’ opener to Sunday night eliminates the 10-day “mini-bye” between Thursday Week 1 and Sunday Week 2 — a perquisite that all SB winners have enjoyed since Thursday night openers began. Now the Bears and Packers will have that little perk, instead of the team that won it all the previous year.

Participant

Wonder what they spent on that?

they got ripped off on the super bowl branding as well.

Feejis
    Participant

I think the best argument against what the NFL has done that I saw here was that moving the Super Bowl champions’ opener to Sunday night eliminates the 10-day “mini-bye” between Thursday Week 1 and Sunday Week 2 — a perquisite that all SB winners have enjoyed since Thursday night openers began. Now the Bears and Packers will have that little perk, instead of the team that won it all the previous year.

Just wait – they’ll get the second Thursday game on the road on short rest.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Someone on Patsfans brought up this hilarious scenario. Since you can “onside kick” a safety in this proposal, if you’re down by one and pinned near your own goal line near the end of regulation, you can commit an intentional safety and gain 30+ yards in exchange for 2 points. That could put you in range for a Hail Mary.

I’m sure the league would love that if Bill uncorks that to beat the Chiefs or Steelers.

Feejis
    Participant

Someone on Patsfans brought up this hilarious scenario. Since you can “onside kick” a safety in this proposal, if you’re down by one and pinned near your own goal line near the end of regulation, you can commit an intentional safety and gain 30+ yards in exchange for 2 points. That could put you in range for a Hail Mary.

I’m sure the league would love that if Bill uncorks that to beat the Chiefs or Steelers.

How would you be pinned in on your own goal line shadow on kickoff? Isn’t that the only scenario that the 4th and 15 is allowed – on a kickoff?

I’m probably missing something obvious.

Edit – you’re saying take the safety then do the 4th and 15 on the ensuing free kick.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by  Feejis.

Big Fat O
    Participant

For those who haven’t realized it’s all Kyrie’s fault and he needs to go. At least that was I was told.

Kyrie needs to take the BB public speaking course but It’s far from his fault.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Actually if a team was deep in their own end late in a game and trailing by less than 7 it would make sense to do this, wouldn’t it? Say you’re down 4 and need a TD and its 4th and 12 at your own 10. You’re out of timeouts and know you probably wont get the ball back. There could still be almost 2 minutes left. Sure you might convert a 4th and 12 and get to the 22. But why not take the safety, now trail by 6, get your “onside kick 4th down” at the 30 and like you said you’ve now gained 23 yards (if you convert) and really lost nothing and still have 2 minutes left to try and score.

jforb
    Participant

Safety is free kick not kickoff.

BrianInLA
    Participant

But you can onside kick a free kick.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 188 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar