Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 3/25-3/31/2019 Weekly Thread – The First Post-Gronk Edition

Tagged: 

This topic contains 187 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by  Nashua Dad 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 188 total)
  • Author

Feejis
    Participant

So in the new OT proposal, if the first possession is a TD and then the team that scores does an onside kick or chooses this 4th and 15 desperation play, does that end the game if they recover/convert?

howzie
    Participant

Well, look.

Finally able to get in.  Been reading though :puke:

1 user thanked author for this post.

howzie
    Participant

Where the hell did the puke emoji come from?

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Well, look.

Finally able to get in. Been reading though :puke:

Lebron
    Participant

I’m willing to split the difference and say it’s Kyrie’s fault and gay Celtics Twitter’s fault.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Where the hell did the puke emoji come from?

I thought that was your judgment about our repartee. :lol:

3 users thanked author for this post.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

So in last night’s mean-nothing, practice pre-season baseball game in Arizona, Porcello got hit on the side of his noggin by a smoking line drive back through the box that landed in medium centerfield. It looked like Herb Score/Bryce Florie all over again, or worse. (I’m sure it’s on YouTube. I think I’ll pass on seeing it again.)

But, miraculously, it grazed him: I think it parted his hair. He got up grinning, took a few warmups and stayed in the game.  :blink:

Big Fat O
    Participant

Sounds like Mut has decided the Felger way is the key to success.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

“This time, it really does feel like the beginning of the end, doesn’t it?” or words to that effect.  :dry:

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Major Intangibles
    Participant

Happy 103 to Sterling Hayden.

“They serve good birthday cake here?”

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Participant

Sounds like Mut has decided the Felger way is the key to success.

He’d better learn to line dance and host a hoedown.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Humphrey
    Participant

Wow, Hayden was 55 when he was in G1…looked no younger than 65. Was supposed to be Quint in Jaws but couldn’t do it because of “tax problems”.

Participant

Happy 103 to Sterling Hayden.

“They serve good birthday cake here?”

Image result for hyman roth enjoy your cake “Enjoy your cake”.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Let’s not sleep on Doctor Strangelove, either:  “I don’t avoid women, Mandrake. But I do deny them my essence.”

May be repeating myself here, but George C. Scott was furious at Kubrick for tricking him into his manic portrayal of General Buck Turgidson. Scott didn’t want to overact, so Kubrick asked him, as a rehearsal exercise, to take his character to extremes. As he secretly filmed them. And, of course, used those scenes in the film.  Scott, the story went, never spoke to Kubrick again.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Wow, Hayden was 55 when he was in G1…looked no younger than 65. Was supposed to be Quint in Jaws but couldn’t do it because of “tax problems”.

I think Lee Marvin was choice #1 for Quint.

Hacksaw
    Participant

I cant believe John Astin is still alive. I thought he died a couple years ago.

I guess this is my reverse Skip Stephenson.

Suzy
    Participant

Last summer I caught this old movie called “The Star” featuring Bette Davis as a semi-washed-up actress who gets trashed/DUI one night and gets bailed out by a fan (SH) who also starts to fall in love with her. Will she reject Hollywood for a simpler but more genuine life, or is she too self-involved to realize what a gem she has in her new man?

From IMDB: A washed-up movie queen finds romance, but still desires a comeback.

Damn, young Sterling Hayden was HOT & SEXY!! Wow.  :blink: :ohmy:

Spoiler, Bette makes the wise choice and chooses our man!  :wub: Good movie that also features teenager Natalie Wood as Bette’s daughter.  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045186/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_59

jforb
    Participant

chicowalker
    Participant

I feel almost blasphemous suggesting editing perfection, but I would have loved if Solozzo had responded to “do they have good Italian food at this restaurant?” with something along the lines of “no, but you should try the souvlaki or the moo goo gai pan, top notch” I guess the seriousness of the meeting precluded any jokes :lol:

Lebron
    Participant

Let’s not sleep on Doctor Strangelove, either: “I don’t avoid women, Mandrake. But I do deny them my essence.”

May be repeating myself here, but George C. Scott was furious at Kubrick for tricking him into his manic portrayal of General Buck Turgidson. Scott didn’t want to overact, so Kubrick asked him, as a rehearsal exercise, to take his character to extremes. As he secretly filmed them. And, of course, used those scenes in the film. Scott, the story went, never spoke to Kubrick again.

I thought the best part of that character was that he only drank rainwater and grain alcohol.

I never took Kubrick for the talkative type anyhow so I’m sure he didn’t view it as a big loss.  Sounds like working with him was exhaustively draining even though the finished product was usually top notch.  Didn’t Nicholson talk about how filming scenes in the Shining was exhausting? Also remember reading someplace that actors in Full Metal Jacket were volunteering to have their characters killed off.  Similarly I always enjoyed the story of Joel Schumacher hating Val Kilmer so much on the set of their Batman movie that when they filmed the final scene he said “Cut!  Now get the hell off my set!”

Suzy
    Participant

Also remember reading someplace that actors in Full Metal Jacket were volunteering to have their characters killed off. 

:lol:

chicowalker
    Participant

The scene in which Wendy is swinging a bat at Jack is an example of this pushing. The scene actually made it into The Guinness Book of Records because it took 127 takes, the most for a scene with spoken dialogue.

:lol: :ohmy:   Even Felger would balk at repeating the same take for the 127th time

chicowalker
    Participant

Edelman is working with his *ahem* trainer and claims to be in the best shape of his life... *collapses, sobbing, clumps of hair fall out, quickly snatched up by Mazz for “personal use”*

Lebron
    Participant

That Nurkic injury last night was awful.  I also learned that Jared Dudley is still in the league  :blink:

Kingasaurus
    Participant

I think Lee Marvin was choice #1 for Quint.

He was, But Lee Marvin told Spielberg that he loved to go fishing while he’s on vacation from making movies, so he didn’t want to make a movie about fishing. Hayden was choice #2.

Also, later George C. Scott had a partial change of heart about Strangelove. Maybe he never did speak to Kubrick, but he eventually started telling anyone who would listen how unexpectedly funny he was in that movie, and it became a point of pride. “I’m hilarious!”  :lol:

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 188 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar