Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 3/25-3/31/2019 Weekly Thread – The First Post-Gronk Edition

Tagged: 

This topic contains 187 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by  Nashua Dad 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 188 total)
  • Author

thatsnotwhatisaid
    Participant

Recipe for an NFL rule change:

1. Something bad happens to one of the 31 non-NE teams
    2. Fingerwagging/twitter outrage
    3. Whiny bitch defines a narrow solution
    4. Whiny bitch chorus in the media amplifies and applauds
    5. Vote
    6. Implement
    7. Something bad happens to a non-NE team because of 1-6
    8. Repeat whiny bitch loop
    9. Stop enforcing new rule

2 users thanked author for this post.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Was watching a YouTube/NFL compilation of Gronk’s career highlights and one of the analysts was Dan Dierdorf. I thought he had quit/been canned before Gronk came into the league but apparently he stayed with CBS through 2013.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Feejis
    Participant

That’s after it was tipped though. Shockingly I think the jump ball was cleanly played.

1 user thanked author for this post.

BrianInLA
    Participant

If Gronk caught the ball that picture would rival the Flying Bobby Orr pic.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Oh. I stand corrected. I didn’t know it was post-tip. Carry on.

GusChiggins
    Participant

The bigger issue is how the NFL will navigate the difference in how it calls PI in regular season versus the playoffs. Because right now they aren’t consistent.

stabbed by foulke
    Participant

Cancelled The Athletic today. It was coming up on renewal after I did the annual plan at launch last year. Their Bruins stuff is lightyears beyond what anyone else is doing. Fluto and Joe McDonald have posted great stories and their advanced breakdowns are next level, even without comparing them to the tired crap Dupont is writing for the Globe. Howe is always great and they brought Underhill back from New Orleans who I liked when he was here. I just couldn’t see myself reading Buckley on the Sox all summer, especially if they’re not a 108-win team again.

It’s too bad. I wanted to like it, plus I wanted to stick it to Bedard by sending my money elsewhere. But this time next year I expect to see them posting far more of the same tired stories I’m trying to avoid.

Feejis
    Participant

Cancelled The Athletic today. It was coming up on renewal after I did the annual plan at launch last year. Their Bruins stuff is lightyears beyond what anyone else is doing. Fluto and Joe McDonald have posted great stories and their advanced breakdowns are next level, even without comparing them to the tired crap Dupont is writing for the Globe. Howe is always great and they brought Underhill back from New Orleans who I liked when he was here. I just couldn’t see myself reading Buckley on the Sox all summer, especially if they’re not a 108-win team again.

It’s too bad. I wanted to like it, plus I wanted to stick it to Bedard by sending my money elsewhere. But this time next year I expect to see them posting far more of the same tired stories I’m trying to avoid.

I like a lot of their national stuff on NHL and otherwise. Haven’t read one Buckley or Gammons piece yet.

Theres a lot of worthless stuff but a lot more good stuff there than anywhere else you have to pay for, I think.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

5. Vote
    6. Implement

I wonder if it matters more if it’s a star player who was deprived of his “rightful” chance to win. Would there have been such an uproar if the OT loss happened to a Blake Bortles led Jags instead of the Chiefs? Or would have people said “Well, the All-World defense had their chance so, *shrug*”?

jforb
    Participant

Rivers pass Cromartie yet?

Lebron
    Participant

Good point about defensive holding or illegal contact.  So the PI part is reviewable but if someone gets mugged before the ball is thrown then hey sorry that’s not reviewable carry on?

Lebron
    Participant

Rivers pass Cromartie yet?

I think that’s 9 for him, so probably tied.  I’d be willing to bet he can actually name his kids though.  Thought Field Yates had a good tweet where he said something like that puts Rivers second behind Rapist in how many kids each has, poor Ben of course leading the league with whatever he has at home plus the other 52 or whatever he fosters with the Steelers.

Lebron
    Participant

Coach Kingsbury allowing his players “cell phone breaks” every 20 minutes should work well.  God forbid the poor babies have to pay attention for an hour in a film session or meeting room.  I’m sure it won’t carry over to a game when the Cardinals are down 30 and half the offense doesn’t run on the field because they were checking their phones like broads.

thatsnotwhatisaid
    Participant

Cancelled The Athletic today. It was coming up on renewal after I did the annual plan at launch last year. Their Bruins stuff is lightyears beyond what anyone else is doing. Fluto and Joe McDonald have posted great stories and their advanced breakdowns are next level, even without comparing them to the tired crap Dupont is writing for the Globe. Howe is always great and they brought Underhill back from New Orleans who I liked when he was here. I just couldn’t see myself reading Buckley on the Sox all summer, especially if they’re not a 108-win team again.

I like a lot of their national stuff on NHL and otherwise. Haven’t read one Buckley or Gammons piece yet.

Theres a lot of worthless stuff but a lot more good stuff there than anywhere else you have to pay for, I think.

Yeah I’m a fan.  I like the draft coverage (nfl & nba), Pats are covered with Chatham, Howe, Underhill now, Jay King is good on the Cs.  I read it much more than the herald or globe.

thatsnotwhatisaid
    Participant

5. Vote
    6. Implement

I wonder if it matters more if it’s a star player who was deprived of his “rightful” chance to win. Would there have been such an uproar if the OT loss happened to a Blake Bortles led Jags instead of the Chiefs? Or would have people said “Well, the All-World defense had their chance so, *shrug*”?

In addition to the star factor I say no because Marrone wouldn’t be bitching about it and bringing up new rule changes as a result.  As much as everyone says how great Payton is he was a total whiny bitch after that call.

Participant

No idea Claude Lemieux’s kid was on the Rangers.

I’m going to go ahead and assume he’s a cheapshotting C-word like dad.

Got traded there at the deadline.  And yes, he is.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  Lefty.

Lebron
    Participant

The elimination of blind side blocks sounds terrible.  I get that guys get blown up on those plays but fuck it’s football, that’s what happens.  And what, you’re not supposed to block a guy now and let him tackle your teammate with the football?  Go back to that Michael Floyd play a couple of years ago, that would be illegal.  You can’t throw a technically sound block because you are running parallel or toward your own end line?  What the flying fuck?  Floyd would now have to just let the guy go to tackle Edelman let alone potentially blow him up from his blind side but that’s OK?

Participant

Oh gfy Boston.com and Captain America.

Chris Evans is one of the most famous New England Patriots fans in Hollywood, frequently showing his support for the NFL team on Twitter. But in a new cover story from The Hollywood Reporter, the “Captain America” star said he “might have to cut ties” with Tom Brady if the Patriots quarterback still supports President Donald Trump.

Lebron
    Participant

What the fuck man, you can’t tell me this is what they mean and this would now be called back no TD and a 15 yard penalty.  If so this is hands down the worst rule change ever.

Feejis
    Participant

What the fuck man, you can’t tell me this is what they mean and this would now be called back no TD and a 15 yard penalty. If so this is hands down the worst rule change ever.

So what’s the coaching solution? Have Edelman and Floyd coordinate so Edelman veers into Floyd’s path and Floyd can run behind him to prevent access by the defenders?

Is a blindside hit like the one that knocked Cooks out of the SB against Philly still legal?

Participant

If the FSO ever gets a marching band, shank can be the guy with the hat and the stick leading them out.

Baseball fans in 2019 are something akin to Richard Nixon’s Silent Majority in 1972 — sensible brown shoes in a world of sequined, 5-inch stiletto heels.”

For many of us, life is better when there is baseball.”

Anyone seen a kid with baseball cards flapping in the spokes of his/her bicycle recently?”

Old-fashioned hardball is endangered in a culture of smartphones and smart-asses who have no sense of history.”

Lebron
    Participant

It’s not a block but rather a ‘tackle’ so it likely gets a pass but say it was a block my guess would be that play is legal because he’s running upfield to make the hit v. parallel or toward his own end line.

Lebron
    Participant

Shaugnessy is so terrible.  A world of 5 inch stilettos?  Who lives in that world?  I see 5 inch heels once in a great while if ever.  A world of smart asses?  Sounds like someone has a problem with math.

Hacksaw
    Participant

Coach Kingsbury allowing his players “cell phone breaks” every 20 minutes should work well. God forbid the poor babies have to pay attention for an hour in a film session or meeting room. I’m sure it won’t carry over to a game when the Cardinals are down 30 and half the offense doesn’t run on the field because they were checking their phones like broads.

This is coming from 12 U Travel Baseball.
    I saw on Instagram where a kid played a game with a camera on him. I am not crying I am old school or new school I am from the don’t be a douche bag school.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 188 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar