Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 3/25-3/31/2019 Weekly Thread – The First Post-Gronk Edition

Tagged: 

This topic contains 187 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by  Nashua Dad 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 188 total)
  • Author

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Jerod Mayo moving from Quick Slants to Belichick’s staff as linebackers coach.

I thought he was great as TEC’s sidekick — but this is good for the Pats.

Teammates would sometimes refer to Mayo as “Bill Jr.” during his playing days and as recently as last season special teams captain Matthew Slater, who was drafted in 2008 with Mayo, lauded the linebacker’s leadership qualities.

Several of Mayo’s former teammates, including Aqib Talib and Rob Ninkovich commented on his Instagram post.

“Dope!!!,’’ wrote Talib. “Let me coach yo DBs in a couple years when you head coach.’’

Added Ninkovich, “You be DB and I’ll be DL.’’

“I am eager to get started and work alongside so many of my former coaches and teammates, all of who I know to be solely focused on maintaining the winning culture we have come to know as the Patriot Way,’’ Mayo wrote. “I want to thank my loved ones, Bill Belichick, and most importantly my wife Chantel and our four children for their constant support as we enter this new chapter of our lives.’’

2 users thanked author for this post.

Coma
    Participant

Oh gfy Boston.com and Captain America.

Chris Evans is one of the most famous New England Patriots fans in Hollywood, frequently showing his support for the NFL team on Twitter. But in a new cover story from The Hollywood Reporter, the “Captain America” star said he “might have to cut ties” with Tom Brady if the Patriots quarterback still supports President Donald Trump.

A couple of weeks ago, some ESPN writer referred to Brady and Belichick as “enthusiastic supporters” of the president. For Brady, it’s pretty crazy how having a baseball cap in his locker for one day well before the last election has transformed into people claiming he campaigns for Trump every chance he gets.

Lebron
    Participant

Oh gfy Boston.com and Captain America.

Chris Evans is one of the most famous New England Patriots fans in Hollywood, frequently showing his support for the NFL team on Twitter. But in a new cover story from The Hollywood Reporter, the “Captain America” star said he “might have to cut ties” with Tom Brady if the Patriots quarterback still supports President Donald Trump.

A couple of weeks ago, some ESPN writer referred to Brady and Belichick as “enthusiastic supporters” of the president. For Brady, it’s pretty crazy how having a baseball cap in his locker for one day well before the last election has transformed into people claiming he campaigns for Trump every chance he gets.

Did I miss where Brady publicly declares who he votes for?

Coma
    Participant

I tried to post this on Sunday, but my browser had a disagreement with the site and froze up before I could hit submit. It’s more wisdom from Almost A Coach, in response to an article that the Patriots “aggressively courted” Jared Cook:

How many times this offseason? It’s like me saying I aggressively courted several salads before opting for bacon burgers and fries. The offseason … better off not hearing it.

He follows that up with:

The only reason a team loses out on a player is if they didn’t really want the player.

I thought that statement might be another joke by Bedard that only he finds funny, but he was apparently serious. The first comment isn’t much better. If the Patriots didn’t say anything about missing out on Cook, Craig would be right there wondering “Did they even try? Why can’t they learn that these low ball offers won’t work?” When it comes out that the Patriots made a strong pitch for a player that was unsuccessful, AAC doesn’t see any point in that. At all.

In his second comment, Bedard seems to believe that free agency works the same way as fantasy football. If you want to acquire a player, you can find a way to get it gone. What the player wants and his personal feelings are irrelevant. Let’s say that the Saints and Patriots offers were equal or very, very close. Maybe Cook liked the idea of playing in a dome for all of his home games versus playing outdoors in Massachusetts. Cook was born in Alabama and went to HS in Georgia. Maybe he still has family in the area and it would be much more convenient for them to go to New Orleans to watch a game than Foxboro. Maybe Cook believed everything he heard from ESPN and 98.5 and wanted to avoid noodle arm Brady going off a cliff in 2019. Or maybe he just liked the Saints uniforms better. Whatever the reason, it’s ignorant to think that a player’s own preferences don’t play any role in where they sign as a free agent.

Big Fat O
    Participant

I tried to post this on Sunday, but my browser had a disagreement with the site and froze up before I could hit submit. It’s more wisdom from Almost A Coach, in response to an article that the Patriots “aggressively courted” Jared Cook:

How many times this offseason? It’s like me saying I aggressively courted several salads before opting for bacon burgers and fries. The offseason … better off not hearing it.

He follows that up with:

The only reason a team loses out on a player is if they didn’t really want the player.

I thought that statement might be another joke by Bedard that only he finds funny, but he was apparently serious. The first comment isn’t much better. If the Patriots didn’t say anything about missing out on Cook, Craig would be right there wondering “Did they even try? Why can’t they learn that these low ball offers won’t work?” When it comes out that the Patriots made a strong pitch for a player that was unsuccessful, AAC doesn’t see any point in that. At all.

In his second comment, Bedard seems to believe that free agency works the same way as fantasy football. If you want to acquire a player, you can find a way to get it gone. What the player wants and his personal feelings are irrelevant. Let’s say that the Saints and Patriots offers were equal or very, very close. Maybe Cook liked the idea of playing in a dome for all of his home games versus playing outdoors in Massachusetts. Cook was born in Alabama and went to HS in Georgia. Maybe he still has family in the area and it would be much more convenient for them to go to New Orleans to watch a game than Foxboro. Maybe Cook believed everything he heard from ESPN and 98.5 and wanted to avoid noodle arm Brady going off a cliff in 2019. Or maybe he just liked the Saints uniforms better. Whatever the reason, it’s ignorant to think that a player’s own preferences don’t play any role in where they sign as a free agent.

How did the Pats ever win 1 SB never mind 6 running a team like this?

BB still hasn’t learned he needs to consult the media GMs like Coach Betard, Futility Lou and Big Jim for guidance.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Hats off to Pastrnak!

1 user thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

Pastrnak was awesome and fuck Lias Andersson

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

It’s all so dumb. I think it’s safe to say that Bill likes Devin McCourty. But if the market at large paid top safeties $17 million/year and edge rushers $12 million/year, I’d expect that Chandler Jones would still be a Patriot and McCourty would be elsewhere.

GusChiggins
    Participant

Well, I don’t think Chandler Jones would be on the team at that price. Flowers would be a better comparison, I think.

That #wetried is terrible and another reminder how awful Craig is. The Patriots were interested in a few guys. They made offers based on their budget and what they thought the player was worth. The player passed. It’s not rocket science or some great failing. Onto plan B, which I have no doubt the Patriots have in mind.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

That #wetried is terrible and another reminder how awful Craig is. The Patriots were interested in a few guys. They made offers based on their budget and what they thought the player was worth. The player passed. It’s not rocket science or some great failing. Onto plan B, which I have no doubt the Patriots have in mind.

Part of it is the media being either too dumb or too un-excited about what Plan B would be, so they just imagine that the team doesn’t have a Plan B, so if they don’t land certain FAs, then they’re in trouble.

“They didn’t get so-and-so! NOW WHAT?”

The “logic” of the small and simple-minded.

jforb
    Participant

Flash sale today, O/U at 7 sound good?

Also hope the FBI is investigating his weird googling.

Coma
    Participant

I was curious what the “weird googling” was, so I decided to look at Bedard’s twitter. I think I might have posted this before, but I’m typing his name, expecting his twitter account to appear in the autofill options and it’s not showing up. I finish his first and last name and the top suggestion is “Craig Bedard Calgary.” That’s when I remember that his first name is really Greg. I still don’t know what his Google searches were, but I’m glad that my first thought is to consider Bedard a joke, thanks to this board.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Suzy
    Participant

What weird googling? Ooooh I want him taken down in the worst way!

He’s such an asshole.

jforb
    Participant

Probably was innocent but

Random question: Was doing some weird Googling this morning (don’t ask) and had this question … Whatever happened to Matignon boys hockey? It was a huge power when I was in high school, but as far as I can tell, it dropped off the map after winning its last state title in 1994. Curious…

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Why is that so curious? My HS hockey team was outstanding back in the day. Now 30 years later they struggle to win 1 game a year. Does he also wonder what happened to the Dallas Cowboys after ’94?

rclane
    Participant

Of course, a real journalist could investigate rather than asking Twitter like a Joe Gill.

I never want the Pats to be players for the alleged “big” names in FA, as so often you’re overpaying for past production. Humphries seemed like a target that fit their FA MO, but given what he got, sounds like he wasn’t exactly under the radar. It could just be that other teams are getting smarter, so it’s tougher to compete for the types of players they like to bring in.

One small concern I have is the lack of trades. This time last year, they had already made the McCourty, Shelton and Patterson deals (not that anybody thought those guys were any good at the time of the trades). Brown came at draft time. I could see there being sort of an unspoken collective mentality to not to help the Pats, thereby upping the asking price when say the Pats inquire about one of your receivers.

I assume the trades will come at draft time.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

The one constant through all the years, Ray Danny, has been baseball.

Beaker, on 02 Apr 2014 – 11:47 AM, said:
    Listen to the game itself. It is telling you to chill, relax, reorder your priorities, winter is behind us, put the heavy coat in the closet, go outdoors, wear short sleeves, enjoy the sunshine, enjoy life. Grab your baseball glove and smother yourself with it on your front lawn. Smell the leather as life ebbs from your body. There will be no extra innings today.
    (+15)

ChicoWalker, on 02 Apr 2014 – 11:51 AM, said:
    :lol: The only clock is your stunted, waning oxygen.
    (+8)

Chuck Schick 02 April 2014 – 12:10 PM
    You’ve taken out the storm windows for the last time. It’s time to go home.
    (+6)

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Suzy
    Participant

Why is that so curious? My HS hockey team was outstanding back in the day. Now 30 years later they struggle to win 1 game a year. Does he also wonder what happened to the Dallas Cowboys after ’94?

Right? Same thing when idiots like Breer & AAC call some pedestrian fact “interesting.” No it’s not, douche. You’re just stupid and dull.

Participant

Happy Opening Day, folks.

Nick B
    Participant

that’s so 21

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Baseball season is 1:24 old and already

1. I hate the effing New York Yankees and the media’s constant fellating of them.
    2. I’m convinced that the 2019 Orioles will lose more games than the 2018 Orioles and maybe even the 1962 Mets.

Humphrey
    Participant

The one constant through all the years, Ray Danny, has been baseball.

Beaker, on 02 Apr 2014 – 11:47 AM, said:

Listen to the game itself. It is telling you to chill, relax, reorder your priorities, winter is behind us, put the heavy coat in the closet, go outdoors, wear short sleeves, enjoy the sunshine, enjoy life. Grab your baseball glove and smother yourself with it on your front lawn. Smell the leather as life ebbs from your body. There will be no extra innings today.

(+15)

ChicoWalker, on 02 Apr 2014 – 11:51 AM, said:

:lol: The only clock is your stunted, waning oxygen.

(+8)

Chuck Schick 02 April 2014 – 12:10 PM

You’ve taken out the storm windows for the last time. It’s time to go home.

(+6)

Unfortunately, it seems that no Nick means more Shank. A double tragedy.

Hacksaw
    Participant

that’s so 21

Jack Walsh “Going to Iowa to throw a ball in front of a bunch of strangers…..what a trooper.”

Coma
    Participant

Part of it is the media being either too dumb or too un-excited about what Plan B would be, so they just imagine that the team doesn’t have a Plan B, so if they don’t land certain FAs, then they’re in trouble.

“They didn’t get so-and-so! NOW WHAT?”

The “logic” of the small and simple-minded.

I wouldn’t be surprised to hear someone at work or on social media getting worked up about the WR depth chart in March and the lack of big free agent moves. I’m also not surprised to hear that from the sports media, but I would expect some of them, especially the ones who feel they have a HOF level work ethic and are on par with an NFL coach, to take the next logical steps. Who are WRs and TEs the Patriots may target in the draft? Who are potential trade targets? Who are veterans likely to be cut after June 1st (or whatever the date is now)? What about Josh Gordon? The Patriots are going to have an effective passing offense in 2019. Tell us how they are going to get there instead of saying “They’ve got Edelman and no one else.”

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 188 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar