Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 3/28/2018 Daily Thread

This topic contains 86 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by  Coma 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 87 total)
  • Author

Claude45
    Participant

This changing the catch rule in the Superbowl is infuriating. The only thing that warms my black heart is that the NFL is a dead man walking. Slowly but surely, they are strangling the golden goose.

Kevin
    Participant

Man, I thought I moved on from the Super Bowl. What fucking bullshit!

Also, the Patriots website is an abortion.

Claude45
    Participant

Man, I thought I moved on from the Super Bowl. What fucking bullshit! Also, the Patriots website is an abortion.

It’s horrible. I don’t think they’ve updated in forever. Especially the season ticket holder account section. That is embarrassing. They are always patting themselves on the back for their multimedia stuff but I guess they don’t really use the website.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

A little late on this, but too good to overlook:

Tooling around doing errands over the weekend, two of the sock puppets on one of the sports stations concluded their discussion of some incident that happened months ago and was a peripheral dust-up to begin with by saying:

Dolt #1: “Well, I know that a lot of people says that’s done with and let’s move on but …”

Dolt #2: “Well, WE’RE still talking about it!”

Dolt #1:  “That’s right. People are still fascinated by this.”

The ability to somehow tie “WE’RE talking about it” to “people are fascinated” is so mammothly delusional that it leaves me speechless.

And as I wrote this, I realize I can identify anyone on sports broadcasting in this town as Dolt #1 or Dolt #2 and the story would be equally plausible. They’re all Dolts.

Claude45
    Participant

There are a fair number of Philly fans around me and I’ve tried to be gracious to this point but that’s over. Somehow the NFL is more rigged and corrupt than a league who had refs throwing games to win bets.

chicowalker
    Participant

I have a buddy that’s a big Eagles fan. I haven’t seen him since last summer (built me a deck).  He’s doing the same for my neighbor, saw him yetserday, took my good natured ribbing.  I wish I had known that about the making it up as we go along shit.  Fuck the NFL.

re: FWL’s post, there are a couple of weekend shows, one I think local to 103.7 (not Cordischi and Rooke talking about Brown football :ohmy: ) that combine the worst elements of Mustard and Johnson’s “we’re only on once a week for 45 minutes so let’s recap old shit” with third generation Felger youth (Jones youth?) nonsense.  Utter garbage.

Kevin
    Participant

Man, I thought I moved on from the Super Bowl. What fucking bullshit! Also, the Patriots website is an abortion.

It’s horrible. I don’t think they’ve updated in forever. Especially the season ticket holder account section. That is embarrassing. They are always patting themselves on the back for their multimedia stuff but I guess they don’t really use the website.

Don’t have a Visa, so I usually pay by cash or check. Do you think they’d maybe have the snail mail address for the ticket office anywhere on the website?

InThisTown
    Participant

Trying to figure out what “built me a deck” is a RI euphemism for.

Kevin
    Participant

Holy shit, the ticket office is the worst.

Go through phone system hell to hear “all representatives are busy, call back later”. :lol:

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

With the season ticket waiting list the Pats have I doubt they put much effort into making the ticket office a ‘shining jewel’ of customer service. If you don’t want your tickets they can simply give them to somebody else.

chicowalker
    Participant

:ph34r:

Kevin
    Participant

With the season ticket waiting list the Pats have I doubt they put much effort into making the ticket office a ‘shining jewel’ of customer service. If you don’t want your tickets they can simply give them to somebody else.

It’s unequivocally the sourest.

Lefty

I have a buddy that’s a big Eagles fan. I haven’t seen him since last summer (built me a deck). He’s doing the same for my neighbor, saw him yetserday, took my good natured ribbing. I wish I had known that about the making it up as we go along shit. Fuck the NFL. re: FWL’s post, there are a couple of weekend shows, one I think local to 103.7 (not Cordischi and Rooke talking about Brown football :ohmy: ) that combine the worst elements of Mustard and Johnson’s “we’re only on once a week for 45 minutes so let’s recap old shit” with third generation Felger youth (Jones youth?) nonsense. Utter garbage.

Point of order, Mr. Walker.   The BSMW style book requires that the erstwhile sports radio host from Rhode Island is to be referred to as “Scott Cordischi who hasn’t been caught with a hooker in like “XX” days.”

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

Not sure if this has been posted previously, but it appears that The Tilted Kilt on Brookline Ave is being replaced by a Fenway version of West End Johnnies. [link]

chicowalker
    Participant

:lol:I’m surprised it hasn’t entered the lexicon more here, especially in relation to directions- “Go past the old Leo’s*, I think it’s some hippy place now, bang a right, go over three blocks, right past where Cordischi was getting a blowie…”

*hasn’t been Leo’s since before the person receiving the directions was born

Feejis
    Participant

This changing the catch rule in the Superbowl is infuriating. The only thing that warms my black heart is that the NFL is a dead man walking. Slowly but surely, they are strangling the golden goose.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-reportedly-used-the-new-catch-rule-for-super-bowl-lii-replay-decisions/

Participant

Image result for jonathan kraft“Thanks Kevin, I appreciate it.  Like Mrs. Pizutti-Henry, I’ve decided that I’m going to call myself visionary going forward.”

Lefty

Continuing the thought of Jonathan trying to reinvent  himself as Pizzuti Pie, I submit the following future image of the Patriots’ leader:

chicowalker
    Participant

I think WW2 felger alluded to it, and I heard a teaser in my car before I got home- did F%M re-litigate the Tatum trade (“who won?” :weei: ) based on the fact that Fultz just played again? Like, the only way the Celtics could have got the better end of the deal if Fultz was such a basket case he just pulled a Royce White?

Participant

These are Peter’s people:

CURMUDGEONLY AND PROUD OF IT
    Becoming an old curmudgeon are you Mr. King? I can say as a retired road warrior, I’ve seen the same. A lot of inconsiderate behavior out there. I’ve never objected to the short phone conversation while dining alone. Loud incessant chattering while dining can be annoying. I remember being in a restroom while a man in a stall was having a conversation while making unmistakable loud noises while on the toilet.  Must have been his brains exiting his body.
    —Roger

I’m not trying to be a grandmother about this. All I’m trying to say is I find it wrong to be on the phone throughout dinner, and I find out more wrong to be on the phone in a public restroom.

Grammy McButterpants

Green33
    Participant

I know, water is wet, but fer chissake, the difference in articles between a professional reporter (despite the dorky hat) and a mittens-losing whiner has never been more obvious.  From the same conversation, the guy on BB’s right comes up with an engaging question and gets a thoughtful answer that provides the reader with perspective & info not previously discussed.  Meanwhile, the guy on his left complains about boorish behavior and the fact that he won’t give different answers to the same questions he’s heard a million times.  Ponderous indeed.

chicowalker
    Participant

Christ, look at Volin.  Just a complete slouch, shirt a size too small, pallid flesh and gut spilling out.  His grandfathers are either spinning in their graves or looking forward to doing so

InThisTown
    Participant

That gut is astounding.

InThisTown
    Participant

Five hundred years ago somewhere in the Volhynian Oblast, sitting around a fire in a mud hut, an old man lifted a crooked finger and pointed to a fuzzy headed, beady eyed, fat body and muttered “schlub.”

NASCL
    Participant

One-year extension for Chara.

The guy has earned every penny the organization has paid him.

Hacksaw
    Participant

:ph34r:

Concrete Nike’s.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

That gut is astounding.

It’s like a steep mountainside cliff, fresh with the imminent threat of an avalanche.

GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

Come back, Regular Brian.

My agenda is truth.

InThisTown
    Participant

Not trying to be too cool for school but honest to Christ what self respecting man would pose with god damn Mickey Mouse and think it’s LOL hilarious hahaha get it he’s bigger than a regular mouse!

Participant

Who’s the HC of the team
    That all the Globies hate?
    B-I-L-L-B-E-L-I-C-H-I-C-K
    Hey! there, Hi! there, Ho! there
    He makes us feel as unwelcome as can be
    B-I-L-L-B-E-L-I-C-H-I-C-K

Suzy
    Participant

Christ, look at Volin. Just a complete slouch, shirt a size too small, pallid flesh and gut spilling out. His grandfathers are either spinning in their graves or looking forward to doing so

He’s repulsive.

Callahardfoul
    Participant

At least Mickey is giving Volin the finger.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Volin thought he was posing with James White.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Saw it somewhere last night (I think Breer) but the owners believe that with/if the legalizing of gambling that Goodell could take the NFL to a $25 Billion league because China loves to gamble. There was also some secret NFL study done that supposedly said that gamblers are degenerates or something obvious like that. By then the game will resemble touch football so it wont matter.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

There was also some secret NFL study done that supposedly said that gamblers are degenerates or something obvious like that.

Related image

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

The NFL is full of corrupt sub-human dumb-ass shit bags. That can not be argued. I’m not at all surprised that they changed a fundamental rule for their Championship game, an act that no major sport in North America would dare due (that shit is unanimously done in the pre not post season). What does surprise me is they have the balls to admit it publicly and just laugh it off like it’s not big deal, like they did for you, the fan, as favor and you should thank them. :wall:   :weei:   :puke:

chicowalker
    Participant

They really think they’re obsolescence-proof.  No googling- who’s the heavyweight champion in boxing? Anyone know?  I’d guess few if none of us do (I don’t) on a sports message board.  The heavyweight champion was one of the most famous people in the world for decades.  

jforb
    Participant

Saw it somewhere last night (I think Breer) but the owners believe that with/if the legalizing of gambling that Goodell could take the NFL to a $25 Billion league because China loves to gamble. There was also some secret NFL study done that supposedly said that gamblers are degenerates or something obvious like that. By then the game will resemble touch football so it wont matter.

How much do people like to gamble on a league that fixes results?

BrianInLA
    Participant

They think by admitting they screwed the Pats they’ll win back the fans they lost over the kneeling controversy. After all, everyone hates the Pats. *chuckle chuckle*

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

When this happens (and it might) Peter King and his ilk will trip over themselves to proclaim that Goodell had the ‘courage’ to embrace legalized gambling and provided the ‘visionary leadership’ required to make it happen. :ozzy:

GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

When this happens (and it might) Peter King and his ilk will trip over themselves to proclaim that Goodell had the ‘courage’ to embrace legalized gambling and provided the ‘visionary leadership’ required to make it happen. :ozzy:

Peter will be pushing the idea that only the NFL can keep gambling on the league clean so it needs to get paid for its efforts. The leagues are already strongarming state legislatures. (Link)

Come back, Regular Brian.

My agenda is truth.

Claude45
    Participant

Why can’t they set up gambling in China now? Why does it have to be legal in the US for them to do something in China? Lastly, are gambling outlets that difficult to find that Chinese people will be flocking to bet on something they don’t understand that well? All this through the “NFL Macau Experience!”

After extensive google research, I found that gambling is illegal in China except for two state run lotteries that the government does not consider gambling. How exactly is the NFL going gain $12 billion dollars in revenue? It doesn’t seem to make sense but they’ve really got it nailed down over there so who am I to say anything negative.

I have a way to instantly gain $30+ million in revenue in about a minute with no heavy lifting. “Rodger, can I talk to you for a minute….”

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Speaking of gambling I miss the ubiquitous “Draft Kings” and “Fan Duel” ads that ran on every station 24/7 for months back a few years ago. I’d love a nice documentary on how all those ass-hats with their oversized noevelty checks pissed away thier money.

chicowalker
    Participant

ESPN was showing the 2003 McDonald’s All American game last night (LeBron, Chris Paul, Von Wafer.. :ohmy: ) they were wearing these uniforms that made George Cain’s jacket look like a wrestling singlet.  Was that a thing then? Even on big guys they were falling off. Look at LeBron

Coma
    Participant

Leading up to the league meetings, the catch rule had been discussed for months. That ended up being changed, as we all probably expected. I don’t recall hearing anything the “lowering the helmet” rule, though. That could come up on just about every play of every game and now it’s a rule. No build up, no discussion in the media, just “We’re fundamentally changing the way the game is played, get used to it.”

Lefty

One-year extension for Chara. The guy has earned every penny the organization has paid him.

$5M with potential for $1,750,000 in potential bonuses.   Slots him below Krug in terms of salary and above the McQuaids of the world.   Still gives them potential to take him off the books in two years when they have to pay McAvoy.

With the going rate for defensemen these days, it is probably the best contract outcome the Bruins could hope for.

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

To tag onto Coma above, from Florio,

It didn’t appear on last week’s (supposedly) comprehensive list of proposed rule changes. By Tuesday afternoon, however, it passed with a vote of 32-0: “Lowering the head to initiate contact with the helmet is a foul.”

The rule came from Proposal No. 11 of the Competition Committee, which had made only 10 proposals in advance of the annual meetings.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the process began in Indianapolis, during the Scouting Combine. Last week, discussions continued among the members of the Competition Committee, with Saints coach Sean Payton (a first-year member of the committee) being very supportive of the rule.

As of Sunday, presentations began to be made to coaches and General Managers. Discussion occurred during Tuesday’s meetings, with the vote and announcement delayed to the afternoon due to efforts to firm up the language of the rule.

As of the morning session, however, support for the rule change already was universal among the owners and coaches. Which confirms just how seriously the league is now taking the effort to get the head out of the game whenever and wherever possible.

But remember this is Goodell’s and Vincent’s NFL:

The fact that the potential change wasn’t known until the change was made invites speculation that the league wanted to make its decision without input from fans, media, and/or hot-take artists who potentially would try to shout down a revision to the rules that will further change, in a subtle but very real way, the manner in which the game is played and, more importantly, how the game looks.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

There was also talk of changing the rule that if a player fumbles out the endzone it’s a touchback. Never heard one word about that since all those Jets Fans when ballistic about it. Kinda like the NFL PR machine tells people what they want to hear and then the league just does what ever it wants to do.

jforb
    Participant

There was also talk of changing the rule that if a player fumbles out the endzone it’s a touchback. Never heard one word about that since all those Jets Fans when ballistic about it. Kinda like the NFL PR machine tells people what they want to hear and then the league just does what ever it wants to do.

Florio had a post (probably about 7881 back) that said since there were only 8 incidents the last few years, the league decided it wasn’t worth the effort to fix.

Lefty

I have to assume the new rule making it illegal to lead with the head/helmet came straight from whatever law firm they are using for current and future CTE litigation.   The foolishness of it in practicality and the unanimity of the vote make me think it was set up as a “we made head hits completely illegal!  Of course we care!” defense while the owners disconnect themselves from enforcement.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 87 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar