Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 3/28/2018 Daily Thread

This topic contains 86 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by  Coma 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 37 posts - 51 through 87 (of 87 total)
  • Author

Feejis
    Participant

That last point is stupid – who cares what fans and hottakers think? That they didn’t really discuss it at length with the football people from each team speaks to their ham handed ness though.

jforb
    Participant

There was also talk of changing the rule that if a player fumbles out the endzone it’s a touchback. Never heard one word about that since all those Jets Fans when ballistic about it. Kinda like the NFL PR machine tells people what they want to hear and then the league just does what ever it wants to do.

Florio had a post (probably about 7881 back) that said since there were only 8 incidents the last few years, the league decided it wasn’t worth the effort to fix.

Link

Competition Committee Chairman Rich McKay said the play doesn’t happen often and the rule doesn’t need to be changed.

“There were eight instances this year, three the year before and three the year before that,” McKay said. “We did not believe it merited a proposal.”

Feejis
    Participant

There was also talk of changing the rule that if a player fumbles out the endzone it’s a touchback. Never heard one word about that since all those Jets Fans when ballistic about it. Kinda like the NFL PR machine tells people what they want to hear and then the league just does what ever it wants to do.

Florio had a post (probably about 7881 back) that said since there were only 8 incidents the last few years, the league decided it wasn’t worth the effort to fix.

Link

Competition Committee Chairman Rich McKay said the play doesn’t happen often and the rule doesn’t need to be changed. “There were eight instances this year, three the year before and three the year before that,” McKay said. “We did not believe it merited a proposal.”

14 instances in about 64 weeks of games. So once every 5 weeks or so it happens. Not saying it should be changed but that’s not an insignificant frequency. 20% of Monday mornings it’s being discussed as having happened in a game that weekend.

Especially when compared to the infrequency of dumb shit like the tuck rule or jumping over the snapper on a FG.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 2 weeks ago by  Feejis.

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

After Schefter tweeted about the leading with the helmet rule, Derek Carr tweeted back

Coma
    Participant

These are Peter’s people: CURMUDGEONLY AND PROUD OF IT Becoming an old curmudgeon are you Mr. King? I can say as a retired road warrior, I’ve seen the same. A lot of inconsiderate behavior out there. I’ve never objected to the short phone conversation while dining alone. Loud incessant chattering while dining can be annoying. I remember being in a restroom while a man in a stall was having a conversation while making unmistakable loud noises while on the toilet. Must have been his brains exiting his body. —Roger I’m not trying to be a grandmother about this. All I’m trying to say is I find it wrong to be on the phone throughout dinner, and I find out more wrong to be on the phone in a public restroom. Grammy McButterpants

Talking on your phone in the quiet car on the train? That’s okay. Following another jogger close enough to listen in on her phone conversation? Not creepy. At all. Transcribing the phone conversation of someone sitting near you in an airline terminal? Totally normal behavior.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

That last point is stupid – who cares what fans and hottakers think? That they didn’t really discuss it at length with the football people from each team speaks to their ham handed ness though.

“We had to get the football people out of the room.”

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Claude45
    Participant

Leading up to the league meetings, the catch rule had been discussed for months. That ended up being changed, as we all probably expected. I don’t recall hearing anything the “lowering the helmet” rule, though. That could come up on just about every play of every game and now it’s a rule. No build up, no discussion in the media, just “We’re fundamentally changing the way the game is played, get used to it.”

Over and over, the same mistakes by the league office. They have mishandled concussions so now it’s grand overreactions to try and appear to care about something they really don’t care about, player safety. They want to try to appease a group that can’t be appeased and, as always, appear to be doing something meaningful when they are not. They can’t legislate concussions out of the game. Neither can the NHL, NBA, Soccer, etc. All sports would have to fundamentally change the basis of their sport to eliminate them.

The league mouth pieces are corrupt and ignorant dummies put in place by a crony system to be yes men for the ultimate ginger dummy. To think this group is going to shepherd the league through this huge threat is arrogance at best but most likely pure ignorance all around.

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

Way to backpedal, guys:

Sal Paolantonio of ESPN said earlier this week that it was “clear” after talking to Riveron that the league used the new criteria to rule on Clement’s catch and said they were “basically legislating on the fly” during the game. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell was asked if that was the case during a Wednesday press conference and called Riveron to the podium to give an answer.

Riveron said that the new standard for a catch, which allows for some ball movement while completing the play, was not in effect while reviewing Clement’s touchdown. Riveron said the ball did move, but that there was not “indisputable” evidence that the running back lost control of the ball at any point.

Of course the league would say the “legislating on the fly” comment was just SalPal’s interpretation, not Riveron actually saying it.

Claude45
    Participant

So the long term plan of the NFL as I see it will be. No kickoffs. No Punts. No QB sneaks (which Brady just happens to be the best ever at). Contact will be only allowed like the strike zone (it always comes back to baseball, Danny) above the knee to the chest. With only hands (too risky to try and lead with a shoulder, close to your head and a penalty). A catch will be whatever the hell we feel like. The games will now take 5 hours due to 85 leading with the head penalties (how long is going to take running backs to unlearn leaning forward putting their head out there). Just a fucking joke. Just have us all watch Madden and get it over with.

When you have the helmet to helmet hit on a receiver who lowers his head into the defensive back, do those now offset?  I heard somebody say that if doing anything with the ball is considered a football move, when are the receivers considered defenseless now?

Participant

You never see a catcher go in for the old concussion protocol after taking a horsehide off the melon do you Danny?

Major Intangibles
    Participant

They’ve clearly put a lot of thought into the practical effects of this rule change.

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

BrianInLA
    Participant

When random strangers killing time at work on an obscure message board make a ton more sense than the guy making millions to lead the discussion and set the rules then you know the league is on their last leg. How about consulting with ex-players before making these widespread changes to the rules to see how logical any of them are? Ask former running backs how hard it would be to change how they’ve been taught to run since age 3. But no. Leave it to out of touch billionaires. I’ve seen at least 5 former players already comment on the stupidity of this rule and not one person advocating that it makes sense.

Callahardfoul
    Participant

How in the heavenly fuck can you bobble a football but not lose control? That is the definition of bobbling.

Callahardfoul
    Participant

I’ve watched it 600 times. It’s definitely a catch by the new rules. Definitely not a catch by the then-existing rules. Again, 3rd and 6 from the 22. They’d probably get a FG, but in a game that close, 4 points is a huge factor.

Ironhead
    Participant

Man, I thought I moved on from the Super Bowl. What fucking bullshit! Also, the Patriots website is an abortion.

It’s horrible. I don’t think they’ve updated in forever. Especially the season ticket holder account section. That is embarrassing. They are always patting themselves on the back for their multimedia stuff but I guess they don’t really use the website.

They’re putting all of their online resources into updating the Wells Report In Context blog.   :dry:

Lebron
    Participant

The NFL thinks it can make a fortune from China?  That’s perfect.  Not like the ash heap of business history isn’t full of lessons learned from they got like a billion people there, we’ll make money hand over fist! stories.

BrianInLA
    Participant

What kind of biz opp is there for the NFL in legalized sports gambling is up for debate. Chiefs CEO Clark Hunt told me he believes it’ll be in growing the game in new frontiers like China. Another exec said he thinks it’s how Roger Goodell can get to $25 billion in revenue.

Claude45
    Participant

The NFL thinks it can make a fortune from China? That’s perfect. Not like the ash heap of business history isn’t full of lessons learned from they got like a billion people there, we’ll make money hand over fist! stories.

Any NFL Owner: “Hey Rog, I’ve heard there’s a lot of Chinamen in China. Can we get their money?”

Goodell: “I think you’re right on the Chinamen thing. Don’t they like to gamble? Once we get gambling legal in the US, we can get their money.”

This is what constitutes a business plan for the NFL.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 2 weeks ago by  Claude45.

Claude45
    Participant

I listened to TEC’s podcast and he said, that he heard, Belichick was very vocal against the Josh McDaniels rule. I hope you’re sitting down but Mara was for it. Goodell was trying to broker. TEC said that Belichick was angry and forceful while being all over Mara and Goodell.

Two things, one, I’ll love Bill Belichick forever no matter what happens. Two, maybe the Giants aren’t his dream job after all.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

They really think they’re obsolescence-proof. No googling- who’s the heavyweight champion in boxing? Anyone know? I’d guess few if none of us do (I don’t) on a sports message board. The heavyweight champion was one of the most famous people in the world for decades.

‘Fiddle-faddle! I disagree with you Mr. Waller; the NFL is too big to fail! I suggest you go to your nearest Woolworths, purchase some Eastman Kodak film, and photograph the monitor of your Compaq so you have a permanent copy of my statement!’

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Don’t they like Football in Canada? Maybe the NFL should start small and see if they can get the Canadians to give them all their money and then try in on China?

Greek Freak
    Participant

Holy shit, the ticket office is the worst. Go through phone system hell to hear “all representatives are busy, call back later”. 😆

And when you get through they treat you like some kind of asshole for bothering them.

Participant
     4 hours ago

BrianInLA
    Participant

Red Sox have the highest payroll in baseball? How is that even possible with the Dodgers still in this universe? Or with Stanton on the Yankees? I’m sure the baseball paper will be all over them if they get off to a slow start. :dry:

Rickkyboy
    Participant

ESPN was showing the 2003 McDonald’s All American game last night (LeBron, Chris Paul, Von Wafer.. :ohmy: ) they were wearing these uniforms that made George Cain’s jacket look like a wrestling singlet. Was that a thing then? Even on big guys they were falling off. Look at LeBron

My youngest came out of his room to make the mrs and I watch the Hoopfest Slam Dunk Contest. So they let a HS girl compete and she got one, one handed dunk in then couldn’t do it again even though the judges moved her into the final round.

Meanwhile Duke is going to be hateable for the foreseeable future.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 2 weeks ago by  Rickkyboy.

Hacksaw
    Participant

What kind of biz opp is there for the NFL in legalized sports gambling is up for debate. Chiefs CEO Clark Hunt told me he believes it’ll be in growing the game in new frontiers like China. Another exec said he thinks it’s how Roger Goodell can get to $25 billion in revenue.

Sounds like Clark has been to Foxwoods.

Claude45
    Participant

They really think they’re obsolescence-proof. No googling- who’s the heavyweight champion in boxing? Anyone know? I’d guess few if none of us do (I don’t) on a sports message board. The heavyweight champion was one of the most famous people in the world for decades.

They think Goodell is enough of a key figure in driving revenue that they pay him $30+ million a year. These owners are just an unbelievable collection of unimpressive people. The is no other place other than the NFL Owners meeting room where the ratio of competence to net worth is that out of whack. Greedy, petty and dumb is no way to go through life.

chicowalker
    Participant

for the record the Eagles fan from RI that WW2 Felger is engaging is NOT my buddy, though I had to double take the avatar to be sure, because it’s close

Humphrey
    Participant

…and how many of the 8 were because the guy crossing the goal line hot-dogged it and got the ball slapped out of his hands?

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

Originally, the competition committee planned a new point of emphasis in 2018 on helmet shots. The owners responded by asking for an actual rule adjustment.

From an SI piece. Point of emphasis would be bad enough, but this rule? Man, these owners have no clue how the game actually works.

chicowalker
    Participant

re: you guys who have ST and your renewals, etc…I wonder if, when Kraft knows/strongly suspects that BB/Brady won’t be back next year (be it 2019 or whenever) those invoices don’t go out wayyyyy earlier, like the day after the Super Bowl?

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

I’m sure renewals will take a hit after Bill and Brady retire but the real issue for Kraft will be if the team heads right in the shiter after that. I’m sure the stadium will be filled for a while but back-to-back 4-12 seasons could send the season ticket base back to and early-90’s level.

Feejis
    Participant

re: you guys who have ST and your renewals, etc…I wonder if, when Kraft knows/strongly suspects that BB/Brady won’t be back next year (be it 2019 or whenever) those invoices don’t go out wayyyyy earlier, like the day after the Super Bowl?

Probably by october.

They were a little later this year than normal. Email came on 3/8 and need to be paid in full by 3/31. Usually they give you a little more runway, but not a ton.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Can you imagine the shoe peeing level if they had ONE season at 4-12? They go 12-4 and reach the AFC championship game every year and the majority of the fans do nothing but complain nonstop. Back to back 4-12’s and they’ll burn the place to the ground.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

I like Twitter trolling too but having poor old Upton Bell thinking he’s really talking to Mike Barnicle when it’s Bootleg just seems cruel. 😆

Bootleg should invite Upton to the Lincoln manse for dinner with he and Annie the Teller.

CornerBlitz
    Participant

Am I to believe that Troy Vincent was in the replay booth w Riveron during the Super Bowl?
    How is that possible or legal?
    Is this just a rumor?

Coma
    Participant

Am I to believe that Troy Vincent was in the replay booth w Riveron during the Super Bowl? How is that possible or legal? Is this just a rumor?

If we’re being consistent, I guess we should be a little skeptical of reporting from ESPN, especially something Mortensen is involved with. On the other hand, Paolantonio said he spoke with Riveron and that Vincent was Riveron during the Super Bowl. This wasn’t the usual “anonymous sources.” On a side note, even if there were no controversial calls, why would Vincent be in NY in the officiating command center instead of at the Super Bowl? Will he be there for future SBs?

In the AFCCG, an official rushes over to break up what he thinks is a fight between two players and then sees it’s two Patriots players celebrating a TD. The official smiling when he realizes there’s no fight is taken as proof the official was celebrating with the Patriots. Another official shaking Brady’s hand after the game is also seen as a sign of favoritism. The head of football operations sitting with the senior VP of officiating to make sure calls in the SB are handled the way the league wants doesn’t mean anything, though.

Viewing 37 posts - 51 through 87 (of 87 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar