Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 3/29/2018 Daily Thread

Tagged: 

This topic contains 37 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by  Miserable Fellow 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author

Nick B
    Participant

Everyone getting their game face on?

Major Intangibles
    Participant

Nick was first in time.

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Beaker
    Participant

Go ahead. Put it on your hand. Wear it. Punch the pocket. Flip a ball in the air. Catch it. Shut your eyes and watch the years roll off like shingles from a roof battered by the winds of winter’s last assault. Wait a minute and the glove, your glove, will unwind the decades between a moment when your waist was smaller than your sleeve length and life’s small ambushes had not yet altered your game plan.

Unzip your pants. Feel its well-worn leather against your withered penis. They’ve certainly both seen better days. Slide into the middle finger hole…it was always your favorite. Grab the lanolin oil and get the party started. A boy never forgets his first love. It’s opening day. Play ball.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-timeless-beauty-of-baseball

jforb
    Participant

Daily threads on an obscure message board: 2
    New subscribers in the last 24 hours on a hyperlocal sports site: 2
    Makes you think.

chicowalker
    Participant

Today is opening day? :lol: WTF I had no idea.  ISn’t it always the day of the national championship? Seems desperate on baseball’s part

Beaker
    Participant

Grab your glove, old friend. There’s always room for one more. 

chicowalker
    Participant

you’ll be shocked to learn that in the SOSH game thread (already at 40+ posts! :lol: ) someone embedded a Field of Dreams video :puke:

Yahtzee
    Participant

Today is opening day? 😆 WTF I had no idea. ISn’t it always the day of the national championship? Seems desperate on baseball’s part

They had been doing some dumb Sunday opening days. this is better I think.

It snuck up on me too.  A friend says that just means we’re old and complacent. Hard to argue with that.

Yahtzee
    Participant

I heard phony serious voice Curt Minihane referencing some Tanguay thing from yesterday. Worth knowing about?

jforb
    Participant

Not ready for opening day: Rusty Staub

Major Intangibles
    Participant

Grab your glove, old friend. There’s always room for one more.

“Yankees hurlers Fritz Petersen and Mike Kekich infamously swapped gloves during the 1972 season.”

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Not ready for opening day: Rusty Staub

Le mort orange.    :-( *

*l’oignon triste

Major Intangibles
    Participant

What’s this about Chris Mortensen and Xxx Xxxxx?

GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

I heard phony serious voice Curt Minihane referencing some Tanguay thing from yesterday. Worth knowing about?

I wish I could erase everything I know about these fuckwits from my mind. For some reason I listened to Trenni on Curt’s podcast. I don’t care what she says about sports, why was I listening to her explain why she isn’t on K&C? I should just be happy she isn’t on and not ask questions.

These people talk about themselves because they think it proves their existence has meaning.

Come back, Regular Brian.

My agenda is truth.

chicowalker
    Participant

How is Minihane’s podcast different than his show, other than him being able to say fuck?

RedSeat
    Participant

I refuse to actually read it, but did Buckley – in a single column – allude positively to the ’67 Sox and negatively to the current Patriots? My history is a bit hazy, but I believe both teams finished their seasons the same way, losing in the championship round.

Suzy
    Participant

I refuse to actually read it, but did Buckley – in a single column – allude positively to the ’67 Sox and negatively to the current Patriots? My history is a bit hazy, but I believe both teams finished their seasons the same way, losing in the championship round.

Don’t read it or even give it another thought. I can’t wait for them to all start dying off.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

Uh, 1967 was the Year that Changed Everything! There’s your difference.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

Like an army of steamrollers:

Beaker, on 02 Apr 2014 – 11:47 AM, said:
    Listen to the game itself. It is telling you to chill, relax, reorder your priorities, winter is behind us, put the heavy coat in the closet, go outdoors, wear short sleeves, enjoy the sunshine, enjoy life. Grab your baseball glove and smother yourself with it on your front lawn. Smell the leather as life ebbs from your body. There will be no extra innings today.
    (+15)

ChicoWalker, on 02 Apr 2014 – 11:51 AM, said:
    :lol:  The only clock is your stunted, waning oxygen.
    (+8)

Chuck Schick 02 April 2014 – 12:10 PM
    You’ve taken out the storm windows for the last time. It’s time to go home.
    (+6)

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

Surprised Barnicle didn’t wax poetically over the smell of fresh-cut grass wafting into the bleachers. The shouts of the vendors. The delicate balancing act of hot dog in one hand and glove —  ever ready to snag a souvenir — in the other.

On a more seriously puzzling topic, has any one ever officially explain the thinking regarding baseball’s “tier pricing”? I was under the impression that it reflected the varying popularity of visiting teams (NYY=most $;  Rangers considerably less). But reviewing several games for 2018 (same seats for all), I see a July Toronto game at $60 and a September one at $35; An April Orioles seat is $52, while the same team in September is $35.

Do they adjust by month? Day of the week? What guided these prima face arbitrary prices? Anyone know?

InThisTown
    Participant

I assume Howe is headed to the Ath-a-letic. Fluto supposedly is too. If Craig thought growth was flat before…

Nashua Dad
    Participant

I’ll pay for the Athletic just to spite AAC.

Hacksaw
    Participant

I heard Larry Johnson might be working for the Athletic.

Kevin
    Participant

At this current rate of baseball apathy, next year it will be May 15th and I’ll be like, ‘Hey when did the Red Sox start?’

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

Nice to see that Alex Spier still has his clothing allowance at Savers.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Shouldn’t working be in quotations?

Yahtzee
    Participant

First two games of the season both have 8-4 scores late. Only in baseball?

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Those Tamper Bay fans sure love their baseball, Danny.   :blink:

Feejis
    Participant

I’ll pay for the Athletic just to spite AAC.

Absolutely.

GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

What happened on that Nunez inside the park HR?

My agenda is truth.

GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

Rickkyboy gets a quick unfollow after a Framingham volleyball tweet shows up on my phone.

My agenda is truth.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Stanton with a HR in his first Yankee at bat. Booooo.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Nunez hit a 120 foot pop up and the 2 Tampa outfielders almost collided, fell down and the ball rolled to the fence in slow motion.  Just Bad News Bears brutal.

Feejis
    Participant

4 walks in the 8th.  :lol:

• This reply was modified 8 months, 2 weeks ago by  Feejis.

Feejis
    Participant

My favorite opening day in years.

BrianInLA
    Participant

4 walks, a triple and an infield hit.  2 minutes after Remy was spouting the company line about how dominant their bullpen is going to be this year and how it was smart of Cora not to bring in the lefty rookie in the 8th as it was too much pressure for a first appearance.

jforb
    Participant

Embiid out indefinitely after Fultz runs into him and fractures his eye socket.

That’s a shame.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Embiid out indefinitely after Fultz runs into him and fractures his eye socket. That’s a shame.

The Fultz/Tatum trade is the gift that keeps on giving.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar