Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 3/30/2018 Daily Thread – Good Friday/Passover Edition

This topic contains 43 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by  BrianInLA 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 44 posts - 1 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author

Claude45
    Participant

Tomase is such an insufferable asshole. He screws up, becomes defiant, hates the fans for it somehow and takes any opportunity to piss in our cornflakes. Unfortunately for Tomase, times are good and pissing opportunities limited. I love that he takes a terrible premise, that Celtic fans are crapping their pants after 10 minutes of garbage time from Fultz to try and get under our skin. The Celts still got the better player and what should be a really good 1st round pick so, no Tomase, I’m not worried about the trade. But this worthless putz doesn’t even get a day to troll on his miserable take as Fultz takes out their best player.

No need to get into the fact that if Fultz was drafted by the Celts and had the exact same season, the headline would have read “Do Celtics Fans Really Think They Can Stop Worrying about Fultz?”

At what point does Tomase realize he’s terrible at what he does and do something else? It’s long, long, long overdue.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Solid job by the B’s of getting themselves into 1st place in the Atlantic div and the #1 seed in the East last night . Joe Kelly not so much.

chicowalker
    Participant

Heard the meltdown on the way to play hoops last night.  Old me would have been pissed, new me just laughed.

re: Stanton- I heard Mazz crowing about his home run.  If I’m not mistaken, Stanton had a no trade and would only waive it for certain teams, the Red Sox not being one, correct?  So what would it have mattered what Dombrowski may have offered?

Callahardfoul
    Participant

I don’t hate Zach Lowe, but one of the 10 things he highlights is Lebron passing to the opposite corner of the court?  :weei:

Big Fat O
    Participant

Who you rather have Fultz or Irving? Moving the No 1 pick allowed you to trade for Irving who is one of the best players in the league. Without having the Lakers pick does Ainge move the Brooklyn pick?

Fatty Tomase should stick with writing fiction.

InThisTown
    Participant

Did Zach call something “fun” again?

Callahardfoul
    Participant

I just think Zach has covered it all already. Exhibit A is his love for David Nwaba’s crisp passing in pre-game lay-up lines.

Participant

What do they expect after they SLAPPED the tag on him?

https://nypost.com/2018/03/30/villain-leveon-bell-does-a-full-180-on-pittsburgh/

Hacksaw
    Participant

With Tatanka pitching Yankees will be 2-0 at the end of the day.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Thirty-six-year-old accountant and emergency backup goalie* for Chicago Blackhawks home games has to suit up for the home side and play last night thanks to injuries. Shuts down Winnipeg over 14 minutes, gets named #1 star, and delivers a funny postgame interview.

*Played goal at Western Michigan and still plays in adult amateur league at “Johnny’s Ice House”.   :lol:

Participant

I’m not big on analytics, how does “better explaining the moves better than Farrell ever did” translate into W’s?

16 hours ago

NASCL
    Participant

Only on Opening Day, Danny.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Get bent?  Get bent?  Hahahahaha. What is this, 1958?

:blink:

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

That 36 year old beer league guy did a better job of holding a 4 goal lead than the Sox bullpen did in holding a 4 run lead :-(

Lebron
    Participant

I remember the late ’90s Red Wings had a guy they got from a beer league, Joey Kocur.  Won at least 1 Cup.

Who even thinks about Fultz, especially since Ainge said they targeted Tatum regardless where they were picking?

BrianInLA
    Participant

Thirty-six-year-old accountant and emergency backup goalie* for Chicago Blackhawks home games has to suit up for the home side and play last night thanks to injuries. Shuts down Winnipeg over 14 minutes, gets named #1 star, and delivers a funny postgame interview.

*Played goal at Western Michigan and still plays in adult amateur league at “Johnny’s Ice House”. 😆

This is awesome! I admit this “situation” has popped into my head from time to time over the years. Good for him being so humble and funny.

Suzy
    Participant

I’m not big on analytics, how does “better explaining the moves better than Farrell ever did” translate into W’s?

16h16 hours ago

In other words, he EXPLAINED HIMSELF TO THE MEDIA AS HE SHOULD.
    And apparently in simple enough language so that even an idiot like Lou could follow him.

Feejis
    Participant

*Played goal at Western Michigan and still plays in adult amateur league at “Johnny’s Ice House”. 😆

This is awesome! I admit this “situation” has popped into my head from time to time over the years. Good for him being so humble and funny.

I knew of this situation but what I didn’t know is:

1. Every team has a stable of guys they rotate to bring to every game for this reason.

2. The emergency goalie could play for either team.

BrianInLA
    Participant

I was going to ask what happens for road games as I dont think they bring these guys on the road but this solves that problem.

jforb
    Participant

I was going to ask what happens for road games as I dont think they bring these guys on the road but this solves that problem.

Didn’t get into either game, but one of Philly’s guys has suited up for both the Flyers and Blackhawks.

+13 (7896)

BrianInLA
    Participant

. +13 (7896)

I’m calling shenanigans. +13? Because of Opening Day?

chicowalker
    Participant

. +13 (7896)

Lefty

. +13 (7896)

I heard something about AAC’s site creating a story out of straw about Gronk being traded.   I would imagine there were lemmings around who decided to jump in to see what that was about.  In other words, they threw a bunch of unsupported bullshit about a popular topic against the wall in hopes that idiots would give them clicks, or in this case subscriptions.   Worst possible result as any increase resulting from click bait will only empower that arrogant asshole.

Participant

Thursday the 22nd 7849

Thursday the 29th 7883

Thank you baseball.

jforb
    Participant

If he makes up click bait like that and only gets 13, he’s screwed. Still barely halfway to what we guessed was sustainable.

Nashua Dad
    Participant

When do the annual renewals start? At that point the numbers will drop.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

I have no strong feelings about Alex Cora, but if the Sox woefully underperform with him as manager, and this somehow caused Lou to explose, I’m fine with that.

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

stabbed by foulke
    Participant

Hey Tony, you see that beer league guy in goal for the Blackhawks last night?

I did, Mike, and let me ask you something. What did they pay him? 50 bucks? The Bruins are getting ripped off if they think Tuukka is worth $7 million a year. Are you kidding me? $7 million? The guy sucks! Go get me a guy from Hockeytown!

I don’t know Tony, $7 million could go a long way to getting you a Tavares. Danny from Quincy is on the line! Hey Danny, you play goal?

Claude45
    Participant

So the new Greenberg show on ESPN is all sports.

So ESPN has been faced with mountains of evidence, with their own SportsCenter being exhibit A, that there is no appetite for a show showing yesterday’s sports highlights. Their inspired response? Secure pricey real estate in Manhattan then build a new studio and offices. Sign 3 bland, uninspiring no-talents for almost $15 million a year to talk over the stale highlights (along with whatever the rest of staff on the show are pulling down). Seriously, how does anyone think this has any chance of success? Nothing about this is show is needed or seems like a good idea. Nothing. I prefer to think that green-lighting this show got Skipper fired but I at least I know how his drug problem was impacting his performance. I can’t imagine how pissed I’d be if I worked in Bristol waiting for the next layoff.

From an interview.

MG: It is exclusively sports. It’s amazing to me, Mike, how many interviews I’ve done and I am asked so frequently: “So, is this a sports show?” My answer to that is, if I walked into McDonald’s and they said to me, “We don’t have hamburgers today,” I would be very disappointed, because I walked into McDonald’s to get a hamburger. No one goes to McDonald’s if they feel like pizza or sushi. I believe that when a person turns on ESPN, that person has a right to expect that we’re going to be talking about sports, so what people will see when we debut on Monday, and every single day thereafter, is that we are a sports show first, last and always.

We have our own sort of personal spin on highlights and news and analysis and debate. Hopefully it is all done with some humor because that’s one of the things in my presentation I’ve always felt best about. It’s definitely a strong suit of Michelle’s and of Jalen’s. I think that’s an appropriate thing. Sports frequently lends itself to light-hearted humorous conversation, but that’s what we’re talking about. We’re talking about sports. I get the sense a lot of people don’t seem to think that’s what it’s going to be, but I can assure you that when anyone starts watching the show on Monday, that’s what they’re going to see. They’re going to see a sports talk show.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 2 weeks ago by  Claude45.

Lebron
    Participant

Ski/boarding season winds down in a couple of weeks and most mountains get bands for the final day.  Was checking Copper Mountain’s headliner- The Mighty Mighty Bosstones.

Lebron
    Participant

Isn’t that what ESPN already had with his previous show?  So let’s spend more money for the same thing?   Feejis mentioned it last week or week before but is there anyone worse than Trey Wingo?  He’s god awful.  So they took a very successful tv/radio show and created a terrible radio show and an expensive as fuck terrible tv show.  Genius!

Claude45
    Participant

Isn’t that what ESPN already had with his previous show? So let’s spend more money for the same thing? Feejis mentioned it last week or week before but is there anyone worse than Trey Wingo? He’s god awful. So they took a very successful tv/radio show and created a terrible radio show and an expensive as fuck terrible tv show. Genius!

It just insane to me how decisions like this get made and acted on. Crazy.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Hey Tony, you see that beer league guy in goal for the Blackhawks last night? I did, Mike, and let me ask you something. What did they pay him? 50 bucks? The Bruins are getting ripped off if they think Tuukka is worth $7 million a year. Are you kidding me? $7 million? The guy sucks! Go get me a guy from Hockeytown! I don’t know Tony, $7 million could go a long way to getting you a Tavares. Danny from Quincy is on the line! Hey Danny, you play goal?

You just scripted out 25% of Craig and Larry too.

BrianInLA
    Participant

So the new Greenberg show on ESPN is all sports. So ESPN has been faced with mountains of evidence, with their own SportsCenter being exhibit A, that there is no appetite for a show showing yesterday’s sports highlights. Their inspired response? Secure pricey real estate in Manhattan then build a new studio and offices. Sign 3 bland, uninspiring no-talents for almost $15 million a year to talk over the stale highlights (along with whatever the rest of staff on the show are pulling down). Seriously, how does anyone think this has any chance of success? Nothing about this is show is needed or seems like a good idea. Nothing. I prefer to think that green-lighting this show got Skipper fired but I at least I know how his drug problem was impacting his performance. I can’t imagine how pissed I’d be if I worked in Bristol waiting for the next layoff. From an interview. MG: It is exclusively sports. It’s amazing to me, Mike, how many interviews I’ve done and I am asked so frequently: “So, is this a sports show?” My answer to that is, if I walked into McDonald’s and they said to me, “We don’t have hamburgers today,” I would be very disappointed, because I walked into McDonald’s to get a hamburger. No one goes to McDonald’s if they feel like pizza or sushi. I believe that when a person turns on ESPN, that person has a right to expect that we’re going to be talking about sports, so what people will see when we debut on Monday, and every single day thereafter, is that we are a sports show first, last and always. We have our own sort of personal spin on highlights and news and analysis and debate. Hopefully it is all done with some humor because that’s one of the things in my presentation I’ve always felt best about. It’s definitely a strong suit of Michelle’s and of Jalen’s. I think that’s an appropriate thing. Sports frequently lends itself to light-hearted humorous conversation, but that’s what we’re talking about. We’re talking about sports. I get the sense a lot of people don’t seem to think that’s what it’s going to be, but I can assure you that when anyone starts watching the show on Monday, that’s what they’re going to see. They’re going to see a sports talk show.

Best decision I’ve ever made in my 50 years on earth was passing on the IT position at ESPN for the IT dildo job in the San Fernando Valley. I should put that on a tshirt and sell it on Barstool. $15 million for those 3 is insane and I’m shocked that none of the folks laid off have gone postal yet after reading these sorts of stories. The end cant come fast enough for the “Flagship Station” and the dickheads that work there. I blame the Boo-Ya network for where we are today by everyone having to have an edgy take to be taken seriously with nonstop yelling and trolling and all its done is promote annoying nonsense.

BrianInLA
    Participant

And by “laid off” folks I’m not talking the tv idiots who were getting millions to read a teleprompter…I’m talking about all of the regular Joe’s that keep getting laid off because of stupid decisions like this one. The department that I was going to work in (the stats division) was just disbanded one morning about 6 months after getting offered the job. Couple hundred IT and math people? Gone. No one batted an eye. I’m sure it was to give someone like Greenberg a few extra million for his insight.

A few years later I got another call from them as they still had me on file and were starting up a different stats venture that was going to sort of do was PFF is doing now. I never returned the call.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

So the new Greenberg show on ESPN is all sports. So ESPN has been faced with mountains of evidence, with their own SportsCenter being exhibit A, that there is no appetite for a show showing yesterday’s sports highlights. Their inspired response? Secure pricey real estate in Manhattan then build a new studio and offices. Sign 3 bland, uninspiring no-talents for almost $15 million a year to talk over the stale highlights (along with whatever the rest of staff on the show are pulling down). Seriously, how does anyone think this has any chance of success? Nothing about this is show is needed or seems like a good idea. Nothing. I prefer to think that green-lighting this show got Skipper fired but I at least I know how his drug problem was impacting his performance. I can’t imagine how pissed I’d be if I worked in Bristol waiting for the next layoff. From an interview. MG: It is exclusively sports. It’s amazing to me, Mike, how many interviews I’ve done and I am asked so frequently: “So, is this a sports show?” My answer to that is, if I walked into McDonald’s and they said to me, “We don’t have hamburgers today,” I would be very disappointed, because I walked into McDonald’s to get a hamburger. No one goes to McDonald’s if they feel like pizza or sushi. I believe that when a person turns on ESPN, that person has a right to expect that we’re going to be talking about sports, so what people will see when we debut on Monday, and every single day thereafter, is that we are a sports show first, last and always. We have our own sort of personal spin on highlights and news and analysis and debate. Hopefully it is all done with some humor because that’s one of the things in my presentation I’ve always felt best about. It’s definitely a strong suit of Michelle’s and of Jalen’s. I think that’s an appropriate thing. Sports frequently lends itself to light-hearted humorous conversation, but that’s what we’re talking about. We’re talking about sports. I get the sense a lot of people don’t seem to think that’s what it’s going to be, but I can assure you that when anyone starts watching the show on Monday, that’s what they’re going to see. They’re going to see a sports talk show.

Best decision I’ve ever made in my 50 years on earth was passing on the IT position at ESPN for the IT dildo job in the San Fernando Valley. I should put that on a tshirt and sell it on Barstool. $15 million for those 3 is insane and I’m shocked that none of the folks laid off have gone postal yet after reading these sorts of stories. The end cant come fast enough for the “Flagship Station” and the dickheads that work there. I blame the Boo-Ya network for where we are today by everyone having to have an edgy take to be taken seriously with nonstop yelling and trolling and all its done is promote annoying nonsense.

Why would, say, a football junkie watch ESPN’s show when Good Morning Football on NFLN already offers a better product and deft hosts like Kay Adams and Nate Burleson? I don’t watch much of the NBA’s network, so maybe there is some opportunity there to build an audience. And I’m sure that ESPN doesn’t give two shits about MLB or the NHL …

Big Fat O
    Participant

I remember the late ’90s Red Wings had a guy they got from a beer league, Joey Kocur. Won at least 1 Cup. Who even thinks about Fultz, especially since Ainge said they targeted Tatum regardless where they were picking?

The media GMs saidAinge should have drafted Fultz since other media GMs pegged him as the No 1 pick.

Ainge has his head up his ass just like BB.

Feejis
    Participant

Greenberg has zero appeal. That show is going to fail spectacularly

Lebron
    Participant

Nils Lofgren got a bunch of guitars and harmonicas stolen from a van outside of a Holiday Inn.  Guess the E Street Band gig doesn’t pay well enough to get a bus and better digs.  Serves him right for that horrible Washington Bullets/Wizards song

Yahtzee
    Participant

Not 0-162!

BrianInLA
    Participant

Starting pitching has done quite well through 2 games.

BrianInLA
    Participant

And at least they’re not the Dodgers losing the first 2 games of the year 1-0 at home to your biggest rival after the World Series letdown. Wood had given up 1 hit in a 0-0 game and thrown only 90 pitches so of course Roberts goes to the bullpen who promptly gives up a home run to Panik. The local sports media had some story where last night was the first time in like 50 years that the Giants beat the Dodgers 1-0 thanks to a home run by the 2nd baseman (completely random fact that Pete King would love). Naturally it happens again tonight. Only in baseball Danny.

Viewing 44 posts - 1 through 44 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar