Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 3/4/19 – 3/10/19 Weekly Thread

Tagged: 

This topic contains 228 replies, has 33 voices, and was last updated by  Feejis 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 229 total)
  • Author

GusChiggins
    Participant

Really a lot like Durant – want the attention but can’t figure out when to stay quiet.

Lebron
    Participant

Lakers, Knicks, anyplace else.

I watched that Barbershop Show with Lebron on HBO mainly to see the Antonio Brown comments on Rapist.  But they had Anthony Davis on as well, where he’s talking about being his own CEO and whatnot.  I’m taking control of my career!  No one is going to tell me anything!  All these guys think they can do this stuff but then someone asks them about basketball, namely their contract and they get fucking weird, like how dare you ask me about that and this is all bullshit I just want to play basketball no wait I don’t even need to play basketball you are all ruining everything for me!  Shut the fuck up already.  And as long as you play basketball, you’re going to have coaches, general managers and owners that are in fact going to tell you what to do.  You even have media requirements written in to your contract.  You aren’t the CEO of that.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

Pete and his wife are getting to be quite the theater goers, in Manhattan, where they live. I get the feeling Pete is unaware that the play Network was based upon the film Network, namely that there was a film.

Brian Cranston was just tremendous as a network TV anchor who cracks up, basically, on national TV. The play, meh. Too much time spent on non sequiturs like an affair in the workplace that had zero to do with anything related to the plot. An unsatisfying ending hurt the play too.

Pete would have loved to break the news to Academy voters that Peter Finch was dead.

Late-career / Later-in-Life phase for PK? Gone from omniscient quarterback talent/heart scout to coffee epicure to hip-hop cheerleader to Bowsley Crowther? The man continues to amaze!

1 user thanked author for this post.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

Pete and his wife are getting to be quite the theater goers, in Manhattan, where they live. I get the feeling Pete is unaware that the play Network was based upon the film Network, namely that there was a film.

Brian Cranston was just tremendous as a network TV anchor who cracks up, basically, on national TV. The play, meh. Too much time spent on non sequiturs like an affair in the workplace that had zero to do with anything related to the plot. An unsatisfying ending hurt the play too.

Pete would have loved to break the news to Academy voters that Peter Finch was dead.

I have Dean Wormerish surprise that Fatty has no idea who Paddy Chayefsky was.

And it’s “Bryan”, Pete.

“Broadway newcomer Brian Cranston has such an intense stage presence that some smart producer should sign him up for one of those dark dramas that are starting to appear on the Pay TV channels.”

BrianInLA
    Participant

Because its the only way the other LA sports fans in my IT department can annoy me these days, its been a nonstop Ringer Podcast-athon. Day after day. Some I overhear are entertaining. Others, eh. Anyway these are the things I learned this afternoon:

-Simmons thinks there are 7 New England states (this was said in a sentence that was in no way meant to be funny so I’m positive he thinks this). I have heard more than a few west coasters get this wrong. I’ve never heard someone who grew up there mess this up.

-There were 43 million Ringer podcast downloads last month (good god).

-Simmons has never heard the phrase “Blame Pie”. But now that he’s heard it he loves it.

-The Ringer is producing/part of a new show on Hulu that’s starting this week that has The Bachelor feel to it and Bill is actually giddy.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Lebron – no deaths in the I-70 avalanche?

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

Is the 7th NE state PEI or Newfee?

Yahtzee
    Participant

Gerry Callahan’s forehead.

7 users thanked author for this post.

Yahtzee
    Participant

I see some franchise tag talk.  Have any teams slapped them on players?

Lebron
    Participant

Lebron – no deaths in the I-70 avalanche?

No.  It was freaky as shit though.  Right by Copper so you had Vail/Beaver Creek trafffic, even Aspen if folks were coming from that far.  Happened early afternoon too so lots of people on the Eastbound side.  It didn’t reach the highway thank god.

Lebron
    Participant

Any of Bootleg Barnicle’s places in Florida are like New England embassies.

NASCL
    Participant

Did you hear about King Kong Bundy?

6 users thanked author for this post.

Claude45
    Participant

I watched that Barbershop Show with Lebron on HBO mainly to see the Antonio Brown comments on Rapist. But they had Anthony Davis on as well, where he’s talking about being his own CEO and whatnot. I’m taking control of my career! No one is going to tell me anything! All these guys think they can do this stuff but then someone asks them about basketball, namely their contract and they get fucking weird, like how dare you ask me about that and this is all bullshit I just want to play basketball no wait I don’t even need to play basketball you are all ruining everything for me! Shut the fuck up already. And as long as you play basketball, you’re going to have coaches, general managers and owners that are in fact going to tell you what to do. You even have media requirements written in to your contract. You aren’t the CEO of that.

It’s very simple. They want everything perfect and they want it right away. The only problem is that perfect doesn’t exist so they pout and move on. “I have to do what’s right for me and my family/brand/career.” I love how they get offended that the fans get upset when they skip town. “They have the right to play where they want!” That is true. The superstars have an inordinate amount of control/power. The part they can’t seem to understand is that the fans have “right” to be pissed off and boo them. Everybody has “rights” and can do what they want.

They are all conscious about their brand and wondering about their “businesses”. One reason Durant went to Golden State was to be near Silicon Valley. What has he done with that? Now he’s going to skip back to the other side of the country. How about you guys shut up, play out your contracts (which will be hundreds of millions of dollars) and move on when your time comes. Most likely, your NBA earnings are going to be the bulk of your income. Earn it and let me watch the games without the whiney soap opera garbage. It’s tedious.

5 users thanked author for this post.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

For random reasons I went to Shaq Mason’s Pro Football Reference page and found out his middle name is “Olajuwon”. :lol:

His folks just loved low post play, I guess.

7 users thanked author for this post.

Hacksaw
    Participant

King Kong Bundy is dead.

Humphrey
    Participant

When it comes purely to basketball, “Shut Up And Dribble” is pretty good advice.

BTW, every time they show a clip of Lebron playing, defensively his cardboard cutout could cover more ground.  I think his whining about adding someone else is because the old Lebron ain’t in that body any more.

Feejis
    Participant

I watched that Barbershop Show with Lebron on HBO mainly to see the Antonio Brown comments on Rapist. But they had Anthony Davis on as well, where he’s talking about being his own CEO and whatnot. I’m taking control of my career! No one is going to tell me anything! All these guys think they can do this stuff but then someone asks them about basketball, namely their contract and they get fucking weird, like how dare you ask me about that and this is all bullshit I just want to play basketball no wait I don’t even need to play basketball you are all ruining everything for me! Shut the fuck up already. And as long as you play basketball, you’re going to have coaches, general managers and owners that are in fact going to tell you what to do. You even have media requirements written in to your contract. You aren’t the CEO of that.

It’s very simple. They want everything perfect and they want it right away. The only problem is that perfect doesn’t exist so they pout and move on. “I have to do what’s right for me and my family/brand/career.” I love how they get offended that the fans get upset when they skip town. “They have the right to play where they want!” That is true. The superstars have an inordinate amount of control/power. The part they can’t seem to understand is that the fans have “right” to be pissed off and boo them. Everybody has “rights” and can do what they want.

They are all conscious about their brand and wondering about their “businesses”. One reason Durant went to Golden State was to be near Silicon Valley. What has he done with that? Now he’s going to skip back to the other side of the country. How about you guys shut up, play out your contracts (which will be hundreds of millions of dollars) and move on when your time comes. Most likely, your NBA earnings are going to be the bulk of your income. Earn it and let me watch the games without the whiney soap opera garbage. It’s tedious.

Symptomatic of a larger cultural phenomenon of self importance. Mommy bloggers, YouTube celebrities, etc.

You’re not as interesting as you think you are.

5 users thanked author for this post.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

King Kong Bundy is dead.

I would have thought he died a while ago. Two hours ago, maybe.

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Humphrey
    Participant

King Kong Bundy is dead.

I would have thought he died a while ago. Two hours ago, maybe.

That type of thing happens to me a lot these days.   I was starting to put together a guest list for Ralph Sampson’s retirement party at xxxxxx’s restaurant, was going to put Bill Fitch on the list, but didn’t because he’s dead.   Only he isn’t.    And I would have bet the farm on Carol Channing being long gone when they announced her death.

Lebron
    Participant

Told the wife with Perry, the front man for Prodigy, and now Bundy we have our trifecta.  Now get dinner on the table goddamit.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

It’s about time for the Bob Denver death notices to go out again.

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

It all comes back to BSMW:

2 users thanked author for this post.

Brian
    Participant

King Kong Bundy is dead.

Let me guess, WWE guy??

chicowalker
    Participant

King Kong Bundy is dead.

Let me guess, WWE guy??

Ding ding! Follow up question, fill in the blank. 2018 World Champion Boston Red ____

Shammgod needed one more year of school where he could be the man. His sophomore year he was like 4th option. You see tons of his jersey amongst the youts at friars games.

And of course a unit like Cuban pluralizes handle  :dry:

2 users thanked author for this post.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

NASA astronaut King Kong Bundy? still alive.

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 229 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar