Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 3/4/19 – 3/10/19 Weekly Thread

Tagged: 

This topic contains 228 replies, has 33 voices, and was last updated by  Feejis 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 229 total)
  • Author

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Has Fatty found a date for the big New League Year’s Eve party next week?   :rollseyes:

1 user thanked author for this post.

Hacksaw
    Participant

It’s about time for the Bob Denver death notices to go out again.

I still cant believe Skip Stevenson of Real People died….that was close to 30 years ago.

NASCL
    Participant

61 for Bundy is like 119 for regular humans.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Hacksaw
    Participant

61 for Bundy is like 119 for regular humans.

Had to be steroids.

BrianInLA
    Participant

King Kong Bundy is dead.

Let me guess, WWE guy??

Initially a WCCW guy that was good friends with the Von Erichs. When that showed up on tv in Boston circa 1982-ish it was like visiting another planet for those of us who had only seen the old WWWF back in the day.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Coma
    Participant

King Kong Bundy is dead.

Let me guess, WWE guy??

Initially a WCCW guy that was good friends with the Von Erichs. When that showed up on tv in Boston circa 1982-ish it was like visiting another planet for those of us who had only seen the old WWWF back in the day.

Bundy also spent some time in Georgia as part of the Legion of Doom with the Road Warriors and Jake Roberts. It’s really odd to see old clips of him from Texas when he still had a full head of hair. I wonder if Bundy had a medical alert bracelet that stated emergency personnel had to wait until he was down for a 5 count before trying to revive him.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Coma.
    5 users thanked author for this post.

Hacksaw
    Participant

the Von Erichs territory covered Dallas to Ft. Worth and Lynn MA.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

I just realized that I have been confusing George ‘The Animal” Steel and “King Kong” Bundy for the last 6 hours. :ohmy:   :lol:

chicowalker
    Participant

BiL, absolutely. I remember “wrestling” being on Saturday morning at 7. 9 times out of 10 it was WWF and a card full of jobbers before a tepid main event match that was like don Morocco vs Tito Santana or whatever. But on those days it would turn up Texas wrestling I was through the roof- whatever Von Erich was still alive, great kabuki blowing smoke, Chris Adams and Gino Hernandez…

then maybe once a year it would be AWA which was from another planet. Nick bockwinkle wrestling an Anderson

Hacksaw
    Participant

I just realized that I have been confusing George ‘The Animal” Steel and “King Kong” Bundy for the last 6 hours. :ohmy: :lol:

cmon whats so hard to confuse…. one will give you the hair of his back and the other won’t.

wait whut.

BrianInLA
    Participant

True story: My sister gave her only son a middle of name of Kerry because of her love for Kerry Von Erich from watching those WCCW shows in the 1980’s (long before she knew of the real world Kerry and the arrests, drug use and fake leg that he wrestled with after an accident). So you would be correct in this statement.

BrianInLA
    Participant

George Steele….hairy back guy with a green tongue who ate the stuffing out of turnbuckles, couldn’t speak and then as a real job was a high school teacher and coach in Michigan. Not even in Baseball, Danny.

4 users thanked author for this post.

chicowalker
    Participant

Probably mentioned this but one of my Sunday morning hoops guys took to calling me George the animal Steele (bald and, per him, act like a maniac sometimes) another guy, thinking that was actually my nickname one morning, was trying to set up a play -“George, get on the block” etc. I’m just running Ray Allen loops around the baseline, oblivious. Play results in a turnover -“George, why didn’t you post up?” “I didn’t know you were talking to me because THATS NOT MY FUCKING NICKNAME!!” Thus solidifying said nickname as much as if I halted the game to eat a turnbuckle  :ozzy:

Hacksaw
    Participant

True story: My sister gave her only son a middle of name of Kerry because of her love for Kerry Von Erich from watching those WCCW shows in the 1980’s (long before she knew of the real world Kerry and the arrests, drug use and fake leg that he wrestled with after an accident). So you would be correct in this statement.

8/17/85 Lynn, MA
    Iceman Parsons beat Chris Duffy
    Misty Blue beat Linda Dallas
    Scott Casey beat Killer Brooks
    Mark Lewin beat Kabuki
    Bruiser Brody drew One Man Gang
    Kevin & Kerry Von Erich beat Gino Hernandez & Chris Adams DQ

What a card!

Even Brian Adias made an appearance.

6/1/85 Lynn, MA
    Brian Adias beat Johnny Mantell
    Kabuki beat Rip Oliver
    Gino Hernandez beat Scott Casey
    Fantastics beat Midnight Express
    Kerry Von Erich beat One Man Gang DQ
    Kevin Von Erich beat Chris Adams

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Hacksaw.

Feejis
    Participant

The outdoor shows they did in the football stadium were awesome theater as a kid.

BrianInLA
    Participant

BiL, absolutely. I remember “wrestling” being on Saturday morning at 7. 9 times out of 10 it was WWF and a card full of jobbers before a tepid main event match that was like don Morocco vs Tito Santana or whatever. But on those days it would turn up Texas wrestling I was through the roof- whatever Von Erich was still alive, great kabuki blowing smoke, Chris Adams and Gino Hernandez…

then maybe once a year it would be AWA which was from another planet. Nick bockwinkle wrestling an Anderson

It just sort of happened one day. I think it was channel 56 that would show the WWWF shows where it was basically name guy vs jobber and once in a great while some cool angle. Then all of a sudden one morning the WCCW intro was on from “The Sportatorium in Dallas, Texas” and it was the Freebirds slamming the steel cage door on the head of Kerry Von Erich and the people in the crowd looking like they wanted to kill someone and how intense everyone was. I think it was also my first exposure to “The South” and also what real ‘heat’ in pro wrestling was. I went to school that monday and a few of my friends also had seen it and we were hooked. We thought it was an accident that they showed it and were hoping that the following week it wasn’t back to the stale WWWF. Very different times indeed.

I’m a bit surprised that Netflix or someone hasn’t had some documentary/mini series (heck, even GLOW got one) on that entire period and the folks involved. Fritz Von Erich was a dickbag of the highest order in hindsight. I think all but one of his 34 kids having killed themselves or OD’d on drugs might also be a good indicator of that.

BrianInLA
    Participant

The outdoor shows they did in the football stadium were awesome theater as a kid.

Texas Stadium Parade Of Champions. It was more fun than watching the Super Bowl back then.

This was the first one they did after David died:

No. Results Stipulations Times
    1 Kelly Kiniski wrestled Johnny Mantell to a time-limit draw Singles match 15:00
    2 Chris Adams and Sunshine defeated Jimmy Garvin and Precious Mixed tag team match 06″00
    3 Butch Reed defeated Chick Donovan Singles match 4:23;
    4 Kamala (with Skandor Akbar and Friday) wrestled to a double disqualification against the Great Kabuki (with Gary Hart) Singles match 12:00
    5 Junkyard Dog defeated The Missing Link by disqualification. Singles match
    6 Rock & Soul (Buck Zumhofe and Iceman King Parsons) defeated The Super Destroyers (Bill Irwin and Scott Irwin) (c) Tag team match for the NWA American Tag Team Championship [3]
    7 KevinMike and Fritz Von Erich defeated the Fabulous Freebirds (Michael HayesTerry Gordyand Buddy Roberts) (c) Six-man tag team for the NWA World Six-Man Tag Team Championship [3]
    8 Kerry Von Erich defeated Ric Flair (c) Singles match for the NWA World Heavyweight Championship 11:24[3]

Major Intangibles
    Participant

Chico has more nicknames than HMSG’s Vegas blackjack table crew.   :lol:

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

328 Chauncey St
    Participant

U.S Ambassador to The Hague King Kong Bundy. Alive or dead?

Lebron
    Participant

Before he was a known murderer I tried referring to Aaron Hernandez as The Handsome Halfbreed in an ode to Gino but it was overwhelmed by Smokey.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

George Steele….hairy back guy with a green tongue who ate the stuffing out of turnbuckles, couldn’t speak and then as a real job was a high school teacher and coach in Michigan. Not even in Baseball, Danny.

Steele also hilarious in Tim Burton’s 1994 biopic Ed Wood as Tor Johnson, Swedish wrestler of the 1950s who played “Mongo” characters in Wood classics like Bride of the Monster and Plan 9 From Outer Space.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Seem like Misty Blue should be the name of tiny weather lady.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

I don’t think I will dial up the FMIA Free Legal Advice Hotline, ever;

3. I think my first impression of Robert Kraft pleading not guilty was, Man, just admit what you did and move on and do a mega-mea culpa. But knowing Kraft, and knowing the Patriots, this strikes me as a lawyer or lawyers interceding. If Kraft admits guilt now, before the cases of all those cited in the Jupiter, Fla., solicitation case are adjudicated, the locals (rightfully) could use his statement and admission to make a bigger example of Kraft than they’ve already made.

:ozzy: :ozzy:

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Lebron
    Participant

I love the mega mega mea culpa, not just a standard mea culpa.  But mega mega.  I really don’t get Pete’s and the general public’s hard on over people publicly apologizing, must be because they revel in others’ humiliation.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Coma
    Participant

Texas Stadium Parade Of Champions. It was more fun than watching the Super Bowl back then.

This was the first one they did after David died:

No. Results Stipulations Times
    1 Kelly Kiniski wrestled Johnny Mantell to a time-limit draw Singles match 15:00
    2 Chris Adams and Sunshine defeated Jimmy Garvin and Precious Mixed tag team match 06″00
    3 Butch Reed defeated Chick Donovan Singles match 4:23;
    4 Kamala (with Skandor Akbar and Friday) wrestled to a double disqualification against the Great Kabuki (with Gary Hart) Singles match 12:00
    5 Junkyard Dog defeated The Missing Link by disqualification. Singles match
    6 Rock & Soul (Buck Zumhofe and Iceman King Parsons) defeated The Super Destroyers (Bill Irwin and Scott Irwin) (c) Tag team match for the NWA American Tag Team Championship [3]
    7 Kevin, Mike and Fritz Von Erich defeated the Fabulous Freebirds (Michael Hayes, Terry Gordyand Buddy Roberts) (c) Six-man tag team for the NWA World Six-Man Tag Team Championship [3]
    8 Kerry Von Erich defeated Ric Flair (c) Singles match for the NWA World Heavyweight Championship 11:24[3]

I believe they did an earlier Texas Stadium show for Fritz Von Erich’s retirement match. It was a much smaller crowd, though, with the ring set up in one end zone and seating only in that part of the stadium.

Looking at the times of those matches, it doesn’t make sense that a Kamala-Kabuki match got more time than the main event. It’s like Fritz the booker/promoter was killing Fritz the master of the iron claw/terrible father. Either that, or Kerry was in no condition to perform for 20-25 minutes.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 229 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar