Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 3/4/19 – 3/10/19 Weekly Thread

Tagged: 

This topic contains 228 replies, has 33 voices, and was last updated by  Feejis 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 229 total)
  • Author

Suzy
    Participant

This how Kyler Murray thing is driven by the baseball media complex who are upset he passed on the grand old game, right?

What baseball media complex?

Maybe you walked around the house with a Wiffle Ball bat in your hand all day. Maybe you slept in your uniform the night before your first Little League game. Maybe you got a new mitt for Christmas and put a ball in it and tied it up for the winter so it would have a good pocket for spring. Or maybe you wore your baseball pants when you rode your bike to school.

Maybe those were things you watched your own kids do.

Thursday in Fort Myers, Dustin Pedroia was that kid.

Which asshole wrote that?  :puke:

Lebron
    Participant

Was driving up yesterday hoping to catch the foot and a half plus of fresh powder, got turned around as the highway was closed due to avalanche danger.  There was one between Copper and Vail that ruptured a gas line, then another one on a smaller highway

Lebron
    Participant

Those Little League uniforms were so uncomfortable, at least mine were.  100% scratchy polyester.

Suzy
    Participant

Those Little League uniforms were so uncomfortable, at least mine were. 100% scratchy polyester.

So I take it you didn’t sleep in it?

1 user thanked author for this post.

Participant

This how Kyler Murray thing is driven by the baseball media complex who are upset he passed on the grand old game, right?

What baseball media complex?

Maybe you walked around the house with a Wiffle Ball bat in your hand all day. Maybe you slept in your uniform the night before your first Little League game. Maybe you got a new mitt for Christmas and put a ball in it and tied it up for the winter so it would have a good pocket for spring. Or maybe you wore your baseball pants when you rode your bike to school.

Maybe those were things you watched your own kids do.

Thursday in Fort Myers, Dustin Pedroia was that kid.

Which asshole wrote that? :puke:

Shankalicious

GusChiggins
    Participant

I would’ve lost my mortgage. Definitely thought it was Buckley.

2 users thanked author for this post.

chicowalker
    Participant

As an adult I’ve slept in my softball uniform many times, but only after games (and the requisite 8 parking lot beers)

8 users thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

The only people that walked around with a wiffle ball bat all day as a kid are Dick Teeth and the guy on Walking Dead.

jforb
    Participant

Nice math Coach

Last night was ridiculous. Down 2-0 again. Yawn. Down 3-1 with a minute left. Zzzzzzz. Just closing time for these Bruins.
    First up, Matt Grzelcyk lights the lamp. Then, after a dumb high-sticking by Charlie McAvoy sent the Bruins back in their zone, Zdeno Chara’s stick got the puck — after the Panthers won the faceoff (hugely underrated play) — Brad Marchand made a sick feed from the boards, and Patrice Bergeron buried it with 7 seconds left to win the game.

5 users thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

Math Olympics aside, what a complete asshole.  If it’s so boring go do something else.

Brian
    Participant

Math Olympics aside, what a complete asshole. If it’s so boring go do something else.

I think its pretty clear he was using hyperbole.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Van Michael Vincent wont be down to fly the Airwolf. Poor bastard died  month ago and the media is just getting around to reporting it. May Shank suffer the same fate one day.

Suzy
    Participant

Van Michael Vincent wont be down to fly the Airwolf. Poor bastard died month ago and the media is just getting around to reporting it. May Shank suffer the same fate one day.

No kidding?! His Twitter parody account is a pretty funny follow & they’ve been posting recently. Probably didn’t know.

Amazing he lived this long.

Rickkyboy
    Participant

Those Little League uniforms were so uncomfortable, at least mine were. 100% scratchy polyester.

So I take it you didn’t sleep in it?

No reason for me to wear my LL shirt or hat around. Our teams had the name of our sponsor and mine was McDonalds. Golden arches on the hat and on the shirt, McDonald’s with the M being the arch. Its was ok though. On a win, we’d get a business card that gave us a free burger, fires or soda. End of the year, the franchise had us in for an all you could eat dinner with wait service.  Very classy to this 12 year old.  :lol:

My younger brother played for the local Cooperative Bank which spelled out the entire name on the front of the shirt. He got a passbook savings account with $25 in it. Killed his amatuer status.

The other sponsors I remember were the funeral home, the local drug store, the sub shop (they gave anyone hitting a HR a free sub), a car dealer or two, kiwanis, the lions club, the VFW.  :dry:

My older brother played on a Babe Ruth team with Mike Pagliarulo :blink:

Feejis
    Participant

As an adult I’ve slept in my softball uniform many times, but only after games (and the requisite 8 parking lot beers)

Please say you’re not the guy who wears softball pants.

Humphrey
    Participant

The league I played in starting circa 1970 in its salad days had over 40 teams and I would say at least a quarter of them had full uniforms, including ours.   Probably starting in the mid 80s that number went down a lot, probably because they started costing an arm and a leg to create.

chicowalker
    Participant

I’m the guy who doesn’t. (didn’t- RIP Edgewood Guinea Hens :-( ) You could count on two hands how many people in my league didn’t.  There were some teams that had custom ones made, with bitchin’ pinstripes down the side that matched the jersey.  My rationale was they are uncomfortable, and I’m never going to slide, under no circumstance- so basketball shorts it was.

chicowalker
    Participant

The league I played in starting circa 1970 in its salad days had over 40 teams and I would say at least a quarter of them had full uniforms, including ours. Probably starting in the mid 80s that number went down a lot, probably because they started costing an arm and a leg to create.

My dad’s team in that league back in 81/82 or so aped the Pirates colors/style- yellow pants, boxy hats.  There was a time when 1/2 dozen or so of these were kicking around my mother’s house-

except emblazoned Legion Pub (2nd biggest shithole in Cranston at the time, since rehabilitated) Lost to history unfortunately

chicowalker
    Participant

BrianInLA
    Participant

Rumor seems to be Philly trading Michael Bennett to the Pats.

Hacksaw
    Participant

Rumor seems to be Philly trading Michael Bennett to the Pats.

Chris Berman: “Michael ‘Jon’ Bennett ‘Ramsey’!”

Lebron
    Participant

If it’s the ’70s Pirates you gotta have a big rock of coke while singing We Are Family!

Claude45
    Participant

I was on the worst named LL team ever. 350 Food Mart. There were no major league nicknames added to poetry of the sponsor names. Named for a convenience store located at, wait for it, 350 Broadway in Somerville. No fringe benefits for the squad.

Feejis
    Participant

Ok, so if the full team has full matching gear, I’ll allow it. We just did that for one of my soccer teams with full kits.

Lebron
    Participant

On the bright side, Kyrie has been good practice in rooting for teams with a guy you hate.  I also recall Bill and Tom talking about Bennett leading up to 49 and the in game comments – Nice hit 72/Only guy we’re having problems with is 72.  They’ll throw a low draft pick out to get him, they have what like 12 this year?  They know they can get 1 maybe even 2 more cracks at it, likely will lose Flowers and probably Brown on the interior.

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 229 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar