Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 3/9/2020-3/15/2020 Weekly Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 144 total)
  • Author
    chicowalker
    Participant

speaking of supermarkets a Market Basket is opening in RI and people on FB are losing their shit.  What is supposedly better about MB than, say, Stop and Shop?

Yahtzee
    Participant

I’ve never been in one but I think the prices are supposed to be rock bottom.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

I’m hoping that ‘social distancing’ becomes the norm and puts the final nail into the open office coffin.  We are currently building a new office here and it’s full blown open office.  Apparently ‘cube farms’ are now ‘work stations.’  But don’t worry, everyone gets noise cancelling headphones and you get to use a sound proof phone booth that’s basically a fishbowl in the middle of the office for everyone to watch you as you’re on a call.  I’m one of the few lucky stiffs that gets an office even though I’m here once a week but I expect to be murdered inside the first week of the opening anyhow.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    jforb
    Participant

PFT has a post up that some owners want to go back to 15 minute OT because a long FG drive means the other team doesn’t have enough time to respond. As if that’s not their fault for giving up a long FG drive.

Lebron
    Participant

They should eliminate OT in every sport unless it’s the playoffs and you have to have a winner.   Draws/ties in regular season are fine.  Then set up whatever you want in the postseason.  I don’t mind soccer’s 30 minute overtime/no golden goal for example.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    chicowalker
    Participant

I’m with that.  My interest in soccer is limited to the world cup but I like (in group stage) when one team needs a win but the other only needs a tie, sets up a cool dynamic.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Solid win by the Bruins last night.

6 users thanked author for this post.
    Coma
    Participant

PFT has a post up that some owners want to go back to 15 minute OT because a long FG drive means the other team doesn’t have enough time to respond. As if that’s not their fault for giving up a long FG drive.

While it’s a problem I would welcome, it was a nice change to go through the list of potential rule changes and not see anything proposed by a whiny team that lost a playoff game to the Patriots.

Participant

speaking of supermarkets a Market Basket is opening in RI and people on FB are losing their shit. What is supposedly better about MB than, say, Stop and Shop?

As Yahtzee said the prices are usually lower.

Usually, on saturdays and Sunday’s every register in the joint is open.

Lebron
    Participant

Solid win by the Bruins last night.

Not according to the post game panel on NBC.  Milbury and Sharp agreed that the Bruins sucked and were only saved by Tuukka’s brilliant play.  I love that kind of analysis.  As if goaltending isn’t part of the game.

Lebron
    Participant

Top headline on espn.com

Frustrated D-Wade skipping son’s title game

Something about him being mad about his kid’s playing time.  That’s the lead headline.  How is that possibly in any way, shape or form considered newsworthy.  That’s fucking pathetic.

Lebron
    Participant

Meanwhile at The Ringer

WHAT IF BEN AFFLECK HAD STAYED ON THE KANSAS BASKETBALL TEAM IN ‘THE WAY BACK’?

chicowalker
    Participant

So if Affleck is Raef LaFrentz and Damon is Paul Pierce, does that make Casey Affleck Jaqcques Vaughn or Scot Pollard?

BrianInLA
    Participant

Meanwhile at The Ringer

WHAT IF BEN AFFLECK HAD STAYED ON THE KANSAS BASKETBALL TEAM IN ‘THE WAY BACK’?

Imagine coming into “work” each day and this was your job. Today I’m going to pen 5000 words on ‘Where would BSMW’s Chico Walker be in the Crespo/Womack debate if he had played SS for the Red Sox…’  Who reads these things? There aren’t enough real articles out there to keep people interested in real sports stories? Then again, they got $200 million for this quality writing so what do I know.

Lebron
    Participant

It really is the equivalent of Alan Greenspan shrugging his shoulders saying ‘if people say Amazon is worth 300 bucks a share and they can’t even tell you when they’re going to turn a profit, who am I to say they’re wrong.’  But Spotify wasn’t buying it for the writing.  I hate it but he does seem to have been way out front on the podcasts.  Apparently that was the big issue with him and ESPN, he felt things were turning toward podcasts but they didn’t agree.   Next to Barstool he has a ton of podcasts and they all must drive revenue via ad reads.  I admit to listening to the Rusillo and David Chang ones selectively.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Rusillo’s pod is great. And I’ve been lectured to death here in LA on what a visionary Simmons’ has been. I guess scoreboard matters. I’ve finally come around and will give in on that one as long as the Ecom folks here admit to me he’s one of the worst athletic personalities ever after watching him try to do a behind-the-back dribble. He also had a video at one point last year of he and House playing golf and, as one would expect, he has one of the worst golf swings that you can imagine for 50 year old white guy.

Lebron
    Participant

Oh Simmons is terrible as a personality or pod talent himself.  If you ever hear him with Chang for example he says things like he puts A1 on any steak even if its dry aged or whatever (Chang audibly shudders).  He loves Chick Fil A  and white meat (Chang says white meat sucks and Chick Fil A isn’t actually that good anyhow).  His favorite thing to eat is chicken parm.  He had no idea there was an Asian presence in British Columbia such that the various Chinese/Japanese/Korean food there is any good.  I’d be willing to bet he’d be stunned that London has a terrific Indian food scene.  Like why bother being on a podcast with a well known chef/restaurateur/food type if the the extent of your food knowledge is the GrubHub guy dropping off Chick Fil A nuggets?  Let the guy run his own show and stay away.

I guess he’s like a lot of business/entrepreneur types in that for every 15 or 20 ideas he has that fails spectacularly 1 or 2 are knock it out of the park home runs.    That 30 for 30 shit apparently worked well, it’s 10 years past and they still run them.  HBO was a spectacular failure but I guess he’s still contributing to docs.  You can’t call the Ringer anything but successful.  He’s a good behind-the-scenes operator and has great connections.  Hand me a rope and a chair (c) Pats67

jforb
    Participant

That’s a shame Liverpool

Major Intangibles
    Participant

Happy 311 Day, Fartknockers!

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Coma
    Participant

It really is the equivalent of Alan Greenspan shrugging his shoulders saying ‘if people say Amazon is worth 300 bucks a share and they can’t even tell you when they’re going to turn a profit, who am I to say they’re wrong.’ But Spotify wasn’t buying it for the writing. I hate it but he does seem to have been way out front on the podcasts. Apparently that was the big issue with him and ESPN, he felt things were turning toward podcasts but they didn’t agree. Next to Barstool he has a ton of podcasts and they all must drive revenue via ad reads. I admit to listening to the Rusillo and David Chang ones selectively.

I’d like to believe that ESPN’s disagreement with Simmons about the future of podcasts was partially driven by spite:

“You know, I’ve asked around and Bill might have a point about podcasts.”

“Fuck him. I’ve had enough of that pretentious, nasally little asshole. I don’t care if the world ends up running on podcasts, I’m not giving him what he wants.”

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

Stunning with Liverpool.  I was on the way home they were up 1-0 was going to put it on but wasn’t sure what Sirius station it was on.  Then saw the score.  Under the luxury tax!  So good!

Lebron
    Participant

Oh there was definitely a ‘fuck that guy’ with Simmons at ESPN.  Especially with the Goodell stuff when he was told to be quiet.  ESPN invests in tv talent regardless of other stuff, they are still a classic cable station with sports television rights etc. at heart, even if that model is going down the drain.  I wonder if that ESPN+ does well, I know some people that get it for the non Premier League soccer and here in Denver you can get more Avalanche games as they are still not being televised locally.

Lebron
    Participant

Sounds like the NBA is going league wide no fans in arenas.  Announcement expected tomorrow.  They’re also considering a hiatus/suspension of the season.  ATP is talking about cancelling the next 6 weeks of the tennis season, which is mostly some hard court events – Indian Wells was already cancelled – and the start of the clay court season in Europe leading up to the French Open.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Oh Simmons is terrible as a personality or pod talent himself. If you ever hear him with Chang for example he says things like he puts A1 on any steak even if its dry aged or whatever (Chang audibly shudders). He loves Chick Fil A and white meat (Chang says white meat sucks and Chick Fil A isn’t actually that good anyhow). His favorite thing to eat is chicken parm. He had no idea there was an Asian presence in British Columbia such that the various Chinese/Japanese/Korean food there is any good. I’d be willing to bet he’d be stunned that London has a terrific Indian food scene. Like why bother being on a podcast with a well known chef/restaurateur/food type if the the extent of your food knowledge is the GrubHub guy dropping off Chick Fil A nuggets? Let the guy run his own show and stay away.

The guy lives in the land of 12 billion ethnic restaurants and has unlimited funds and he eats Chick Fil A? That tells you all you need to know about the guy.

BrianInLA
    Participant

With the NBA suspending the season the other sports HAVE to follow, no? The blowback if hockey rubs some dirt on it and plays on will be insane. This could be the best thing ever for the Sox.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 144 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar