Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 3/3/2017 Daily Thread

This topic contains 162 replies, has 33 voices, and was last updated by  Patrick Pass 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 163 total)
  • Author

BSF34
    Participant

Celtics/Lakers tonight

Wait, what?

Participant

Celtics/Lakers tonight

Pumped and jacked

Kevin
    Participant

Borges wrote this. Seems like something he’s been denying forever.

People seem to forget this is the same Belichick who carried four QBs on his roster in 2000, an unheard of decision but one that proved wise. He did it because he had concerns about starter Drew Bledsoe’s long-term future and wasn’t sure what the short-term future was. So he kept John Friesz, Michael Bishop and a skinny kid named Brady because the smart play in the short term was to do nothing. Wait and see.

Participant

Is opinion, information and fun the new sports and pop culture?

Hot takes and opinion?  Try and keep me away from 6-8.

“As part of the new line-up, CSN will add a new nightly show Boston Sports Tonight presented by Town Fair Tire which will air every weeknight from 9PM to Midnight.  This 3-hour show will be hosted by CSN’s Tom Curran and Tom Giles, along with WEEI’s Michael Holley and Kayce Smithwho are both set to join the network next month.  Boston Sports Tonight will be a cross-section of opinion, information and fun.”

“Also beginning April 3rd, CSN will expand its Arbella Early Edition program to two hours, airing weeknights from 6pm-8pm.  The show will be hosted by new line-up of Gary Tanguay, Trenni Kusnierek and Michael Felger, who will join the show each night in-studio following Felger & MazzEarly Edition will combine hot takes and opinion, with heavy debate from hosts and guests and will offer an unfiltered look at the best Boston sports topics of the day”

7 hosts isted there, one of them I respect and two of them I’ve never heard of – I’m guessing without looking is Kayce is of the anchor bunny persuasion and Giles is the flashboy Newhouse school grad.

thatsnotwhatisaid
    Participant

People seem to forget this is the same Belichick who carried four QBs on his roster in 2000, an unheard of decision but one that proved wise. He did it because he had concerns about starter Drew Bledsoe’s long-term future and wasn’t sure what the short-term future was. So he kept John Friesz, Michael Bishop and a skinny kid named Brady because the smart play in the short term was to do nothing. Wait and see.

It’s a sad state of affairs when I actually read a Borges column because it’s my best option for informed analysis. I feel dirty. Also – I now have confirmation I can remove CSN from my “favorites” after the Celtics season. I fear TEC will be sucked into the hot takez vortex with so many hours to fill.

Participant

“I fear TEC will be sucked into the hot takez vortex with so many hours to fill”

I seem to remember Tom commenting on this last summer when he was filling in for a day.

He mentioned how he couldn’t sit there and manufacture outrage  for 4 hours a day over Bucholz missing an early July start or some such.  (paraphrasing here).

Marty Nopointe
    Participant

Some guy called into the zookeepers upset about players talking about Claude after he was gone. Basically – the caller works in his family business, has people he doesn’t personally like but doesn’t denigrate them.

Depressed zookeeper kept asking him if he gives people bad recommendations after they were fired, because Claude was fired.

Guy tells him no, he doesn’t give ex-employees bad recommendations. Fredgy starts yelling “then you’re a bad businessman! then you’re a bad businessman” over and over again.

Because Fredgy knows a lot about business, so much so than anyone following the standard practice in the United States Western civilization is a “bad businessman”

Kingasaurus
    Participant

If Curran holds to his principles, it is hoped his 9pm show will be to explain why everything you just heard from 6-8pm was bullshit.

Participant

Some guy called into the zookeepers upset about players talking about Claude after he was gone. Basically – the caller works in his family business, has people he doesn’t personally like but doesn’t denigrate them. Depressed zookeeper kept asking him if he gives people bad recommendations after they were fired, because Claude was fired. Guy tells him no, he doesn’t give ex-employees bad recommendations. Fredgy starts yelling “then you’re a bad businessman! then you’re a bad businessman” over and over again. Because Fredgy knows a lot about business, so much so than anyone following the standard practice in the United States Western civilization is a “bad businessman”

But hey Frank and Ryan got to be themselves last night and they’ve got their self-esteem back and that’s what counts.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Speaking of Hot Takez and Talking Headz (not George-Cain-wannabe David Byrne’s version), I’ve been witness to the Cowherds, Baylisses, Sharpes, Kellermans, Eisens, etc., through some of the retrospective videos of the Patriots’ season since 51 — after ignoring all that shit since DeflateGate broke.

I discovered that Bayliss hung his hat on Brady’s Redemption/Revenge season back in September, even predicting the Pats would 3-1 during his suspension. (I’m sure this was part of a Point/Counterpoint set piece with Sharpe taking his usual Hater stance.) In successive clips over the season, Skip gets more and more emotional until he finally seems to be about to burst into (man)tears of joy on 2/6.

Cowherd, in one of his recent ultra-hot takez, speculates that when Belichick and the Pats part ways he will become GM of the Miami Dolphins “because he likes warm weather” — no consideration of the idiot owner down there, or Belichick’s affinity for Nantucket.  Just talking out of his ass.

Kellerman is insufferable. Eisen has some interesting guests and seems to shun the hot take.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Eisen has some interesting guests and seems to shun the hot take.

Because it’s more like an actual talk show format, which can lend itself to less clown-show, two-guys-yelling stuff.

Also, Eisen’s a Michigan guy (I think) so he usually looks sideways at anyone who wants to shit-talk Brady.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

I’m guessing without looking is Kayce is of the anchor bunny persuasion

You’d be right.

BSF34
    Participant

Odds that Xxx Xxxxx takes shots at her on Twitter have been taken off the board.

Wait, what?

Kevin
    Participant

I can’t understand this Kaepernick deal. He gave back $14.5 million so he could gain the right to make zero? :lol:

As part of the deal’s reconfiguration, Kaepernick traded $14.5 million in injury guarantees during the 2017 season for the opportunity to opt out of the deal early. His decision saves the Niners his $14.5 million base salary in 2017 though he will still count nearly $2.5 million in dead money for the remainder of his signing bonus proration.

chicowalker
    Participant

Watching two hours (!)of Tranni, Tanguay, and Felger without Donnie Mooreing up is more impressive than David Blaine spending a week in ice or that maniac who tightroped the twin towers.  That concept shows actual malice to it’s intended audience.

Claude45
    Participant

Looks like he’s plagiarizing a different writer. I like it. I wonder who it is?

Kevin
    Participant

So you’ll be watching a Celtics playoff game on TNT, and then immediately flip over to see what Curran and Holley have to say about the shot that Thomas just hit?

Very strange.

“I fear TEC will be sucked into the hot takez vortex with so many hours to fill” I seem to remember Tom commenting on this last summer when he was filling in for a day. He mentioned how he couldn’t sit there and manufacture outrage for 4 hours a day over Bucholz missing an early July start or some such. (paraphrasing here).

I think TEC said that on Kirk’s podcast. That was a pretty good one. They agreed in addition to Deflategate being a witch hunt, Spygate was pretty much bullshit, too.

Feejis
    Participant

I never watch CSN and after reading that I’ll just keep staying the course.

I can’t think of a way to make 6 hours of programming a night less appealing.

Feejis
    Participant

Was seeing those Mary Kay Cabot tweets.   She may be a nice lady but her profile pic looks like Will Ferrell as Janet Reno.

Claude45
    Participant

“Also beginning April 3rd, CSN will expand its Arbella Early Edition program to two hours, airing weeknights from 6pm-8pm.  The show will be hosted by new line-up of Gary Tanguay, Trenni Kusnierek and Michael Felger, who will join the show each night in-studio following Felger & Mazz.  Early Edition will combine hot takes and opinion, with heavy debate from hosts and guests and will offer an unfiltered look at the best Boston sports topics of the day”

That just might be the most horrific paragraph I’ve ever read. Who in their right mind would ever turn that on? What would you possibly expect to get out of that steaming pile of crap?

Those two hours will be an arrogantly condescending combination of screechy shoe peeing, uninformed opinions, regurgitated conventional wisdom, lack of respect for the audience and phony outrage all capped off with zero entertainment value.

I can’t wait for April 3rd!!

Claude45
    Participant

I can’t understand this Kaepernick deal. He gave back $14.5 million so he could gain the right to make zero? 😆

As part of the deal’s reconfiguration, Kaepernick traded $14.5 million in injury guarantees during the 2017 season for the opportunity to opt out of the deal early. His decision saves the Niners his $14.5 million base salary in 2017 though he will still count nearly $2.5 million in dead money for the remainder of his signing bonus proration.

It’s called negotiation Kevin.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

So you’ll be watching a Celtics playoff game on TNT, and then immediately flip over to see what Curran and Holley have to say about the shot that Thomas just hit? Very strange.

“IT running the Pierce ISO? IT running the Pierce ISO!?!”

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Callahardfoul
    Participant

Watching two hours (!)of Tranni, Tanguay, and Felger without Donnie Mooreing up is more impressive than David Blaine spending a week in ice or that maniac who tightroped the twin towers. That concept shows actual malice to it’s intended audience.

No shit. It’s like Too Many Cooks in real life except I end up killing everyone.

jforb
    Participant

I never watch CSN and after reading that I’ll just keep staying the course.

Adam Jones simulcast?

LJSandwich
    Participant

My kid is playing against the University of San Francisco this morning.  He shot me a picture of the lineup card.  Playing for USF is none other than Manny Ramirez Jr.

Manny Jr. being the oldest of Manny’s three kids named Manny. :lol:

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by  LJSandwich.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by  LJSandwich.

Claude45
    Participant

Was seeing those Mary Kay Cabot tweets. She may be a nice lady but her profile pic looks like Will Ferrell as Janet Reno.

I heard her on TEC’s Quick Slants saying she has covered the Browns for longer than she could even remember, 28 years or so. Probably really lucky she looks even that good after that.

Kevin
    Participant

I can’t understand this Kaepernick deal. He gave back $14.5 million so he could gain the right to make zero? 😆

They must have gotten him in a room.

Unemployment got him into a room.

Edit: Dammit!

chicowalker
    Participant

Mary Kay Cabot sounds like the name of a wealthy widow who owns a majority share in the Nashville Predators or something

Participant

Image result for TOM WERNER

“And you people thought Sox appeal was dreadful?  Two hours a night of Trenni will have you reaching for the remote faster than you can say Jacques Robinson.  On non-Sox game nights we will be presenting our new series, Jerry Thornton explains the punchline.”

Major Intangibles
    Participant

Mary Kay Cabot sounds like the name of a wealthy widow who owns a majority share in the Nashville Predators or something

Was married to L.C. ‘Bud’ Cabot, made his fortune sailing napkins and placemats to interstate truck stops.

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Claude45
    Participant

“We have restored the Mary Kay Cabot house back to exactly the way it was when she founded the Daughters of American Revolutionary War….”

Patrick Pass
    Participant

In retrospect I’m not sure winning the World Series for the first time in 86 years in 2004 was worth having Curt Schilling move here.

chicowalker
    Participant

If she sells the most cheese she wins a pink cadillac…because, you know, her, uh…name….anyhoooo…speaking of Bruce Springsteen…I wish my boss worked as long and as hard as him! Because, you know, three hour lunches, though technically I’m more of a freelancer…

andrew
    Participant

“Also beginning April 3rd, CSN will expand its Arbella Early Edition program to two hours, airing weeknights from 6pm-8pm. The show will be hosted by new line-up of Gary Tanguay, Trenni Kusnierek and Michael Felger, who will join the show each night in-studio following Felger & Mazz. Early Edition will combine hot takes and opinion, with heavy debate from hosts and guests and will offer an unfiltered look at the best Boston sports topics of the day”

That just might be the most horrific paragraph I’ve ever read. Who in their right mind would ever turn that on? What would you possibly expect to get out of that steaming pile of crap?

Those two hours will be an arrogantly condescending combination of screechy shoe peeing, uninformed opinions, regurgitated conventional wisdom, lack of respect for the audience and phony outrage all capped off with zero entertainment value.

I can’t wait for April 3rd!!

I can imagine how this will play out:

Felger: Welcome to Arbella Early Edition. It’s the start of the Red Sox season, so I have to ask – is the Patriots run over?

Tanguay: I’ve been saying for the last six years that the Patriots aren’t the team they used to be.

Trenni: The Patriots lost Chris Long. You can’t lose key players and expect to win every year.

Kevin
    Participant

Wonder if Manish is starting work on his “Sign Kaepernick, Jets!” column.

chicowalker
    Participant

In retrospect I’m not sure winning the World Series for the first time in 86 years in 2004 was worth having Curt Schilling move here.

I’m *quite* sure it wasn’t worth him moving here :ozzy:  

Marty Nopointe
    Participant

But he’s also gaining 40 acres and a mule

Participant

“We have restored the Mary Kay Cabot house back to exactly the way it was when she founded the Daughters of American Revolutionary War….”

:pk: I visited the Mary Kay Cabot house and was far more impressed with her house than I was with the Anne Frank house. :pk:

Patrick Pass
    Participant

MareKay Cabs one of the greats Danny

Marty Nopointe
    Participant

or someone constantly complaining in town meetings and letters to the editor

…after the board presentation the floor was opened for questions. Mary Kay Cabot of 114 Shrew Rd, raised concerns about the new brewery being located in a town with a school…

The Marmaduke appearing in the July 14th edition is not what I’ve come to expect from the Cvntington Times. As a subscriber, I urge the editorial board to take action to prevent such issues in the future.
    Mary Kay Cabot
    114 Shrew Rd.

Chuck Schick
    Participant

Ahem… I’m available to a faretheewell!

Participant

Word play!

Chuck Schick
    Participant

Look at his fingers. Did he recycle an old scribble of Price, and literally paste the sling arm on?

Honey!! Have you seen my ‘zacto knife?? I got a great ideer I needa work on!

Chuck Schick
    Participant

Chuck Schick
    Participant

Classic uniform switcharoo!

Participant

LJS gives the Andelman eulogy – Chuck Schick gets LJ.   :lol:   :lol:

BSF34
    Participant

:lol:

Wait, what?

Callahardfoul
    Participant

Man, a very BSMW-y “The Board Awakens” has got some potential with a bunch of lesser posters trapped at the Charlestown 99 and the only way out is to solve some LJ scribbles and Schick is long gone like Luke Skywalker but some greater posters start communicating with fake Chuck Schick on twitter and Scott almost gets eaten by a Rathtar-esque *** *****.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 163 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar