Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 4/06-4/12/2020 Weekly Discussion Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 140 total)
  • Author
    Lefty

The Red Sox will take the lead by taking everyone’s temp, requiring a breathalyzer (on the way in) and implanting a naughty word tracking chip in each person entering the confines of the world’s most beloved ballpark.     So Good!

Lebron
    Participant

Although I’m not a video game guy I think the NBA video gaming thing over the weekend was a smart idea, my kids watched some of it and thought it was neat to see the players.  And I think the Zoom HORSE game is a great idea, although Giannis made an interesting comment that he hasn’t been able to shoot a basketball because he doesn’t have a hoop at his house.  I can see if you aren’t married with kids that you might not have a hoop, so might be more difficult to get some of the top players.

Coma
    Participant

Pete saying he’s a bloodthirsty Monopoly player had me laughing until I couldn’t breathe.

No one likes to play Monopoly with me. I am vicious. I like to take your last dollar. I take glee when you get assessed for street repairs. I might give you amnesty on paying if you land on my hotel on Kentucky Avenue, but I will extract a heavy price from you if I do.

Willing to bet if you threw him a 3 day old doughnut he’d consider that paying the heavy price.

How can PK “give you amnesty from paying” but also extract “a heavy price?” Who, when presented with the alternatives (or even if they don’t know the alternative,) doesn’t say “That’s okay, Pete. I’ll pay the $300.” Paying a known amount versus suffering the malicious whims of a dummy like PK seems like an easy choice.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Participant

Henry and Werner caved.

Liverpool chief executive Peter Moore has revealed the club have performed a dramatic U-turn on their decision to furlough non-playing staff.

Moore penned a letter to the club’s supporters on Monday evening to clarify the situation, claiming ‘we came to the wrong conclusion’ after they came in for a huge backlash.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

So how is everyone doing in this, the umpteenth day of isolation?

• I’m about to kill somebody
        I’ve already killed somebody
        Honestly just fucking bored
        How do I have MORE work to do?
        Actually, I’m just fine with never seeing another human ever again
    Lebron
    Participant

Last 2.  I’ve got more than enough to do and I could easily go with never seeing another human again.  I’ve gotten in my car once in the last 4 weeks.  I went to Costco last week and actually loved the limiting the number of people in the store and the space markers at the checkouts.  They should never revert back.  I could go with never being in an airport again as well.  And no mother in law?  Fucking heaven.

Nashua Dad
    Participant

No alarm clock, saving 2+ hours of commuting a day, don’t have to hear the ridiculous hallway conversations at work. I don’t ever want to go back. Home is fine, and the weather is finally nice.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    BrianInLA
    Participant

Aside from most likely needing rehab once this is over I may never go back to a regular office again. There is no, and has been none for years, logical reason why most jobs can’t be accomplished remotely.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Yahtzee
    Participant

Aside from most likely needing rehab once this is over I may never go back to a regular office again. There is no, and has been none for years, logical reason why most jobs can’t be accomplished remotely.

But collaboration . . .

1 user thanked author for this post.
    jforb
    Participant

We’ve been effectively all remote for 2+ years. Have a single room rented for mail, paper copies of files, etc. I go in because I prefer getting out of the house and can’t be bothered setting up a good workspace, but it’s been almost the same being at home. Wish I had my second monitor…

Not sure how this would work if we weren’t a small company with a staff that’s been stable, but can’t be too hard.

jforb
    Participant

Also even though it’s a bit cool and my neighbor’s renovation work is loud, I can get used to doing a lot of work out on the deck.

Coma
    Participant

Going back to PK and Monopoly, isn’t he one of those anti-billionaire types, along the lines of “Does anyone really need that much money?” When he gets to play act at it, though, he’s the stereotypical tyrant tycoon.

Lebron
    Participant

The no alarm clock is great.  And not taking kids to school has been great too, although at this point I’d trade my kids in for a couple of short hair pointers.

The next person that talks about how much they miss colleagues and how once this is over “we’ll come back stronger than ever” gets a paddlin.

Lebron
    Participant

Collaboration.  What a bunch of fucking bullshit.

Coma
    Participant

I read some of a twitter argument put forth by Dov Kleiman* that all the Patriots success is due to Brady and Belichick is a failure without him. Part of his reasoning was that Belichick had QBs like Kosar, Testaverde and Bledsoe and wasn’t successful with them. Kleiman’s argument was that those three guys have pro bowls and playoff wins on their resume and none them happened with Belichick. It’s one of those arguments that’s technically correct, but where context matters.

Kosar was finished as a quality starter when Belichick arrived and the Browns’ roster was a disaster at the time. After he left Cleveland, Kosar was a backup for the remainder of his career and only started 3 more games. Belichick never coached the Kosar of 1987. The reason why Testaverde went to those pro bowls and playoff games is because Belichick resurrected his career in Cleveland. Until then, he was a punch line in Tampa Bay. The reason why people took him seriously and he went on to decent runs in Baltimore and New York was because he got a chance to show what he could do with the Browns. Bledsoe didn’t fall apart like Kosar, but he also didn’t flourish like Testaverde. He had a pro bowl appearance in Buffalo, but was 23-25 there. He joined Parcells, who he had his most success with, in Dallas but had a 12-10 record.

You can’t say that Belichick squandered some terrific QB in Cleveland or New England. The only one that would have been interesting to see how it turned out was with Testaverde and he was fired before that happened.

*I have found Kleiman to have some decent takes, or be willing to criticize some NFL sacred cows, but he also has some very dumb ones. This was one of those. What bothers me about him is that he, like Ben Allbright, has NFL in his twitter handle even though he doesn’t work for the league in any capacity. For as petty as the NFL is, you would think they would crack down on people who, on first glance, appear to be part of the league but aren’t.

Lebron
    Participant

Kosar was garbage when Belichick got there.  For crissakes he was building what turned in to a Super Bowl winner with Trent Dilfer at QB

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Random thought: How are the tiny house people doing right about now?

Nashua Dad
    Participant

How did the Jeff Passan guy become the Woj/Schefter of MLB? Kid looks 23.

Lebron
    Participant

They’re already minimalists so they might be doing better than others.  A lot would depend on where your tiny house is, if you move it around a lot v. having it on an actual lot.

jforb
    Participant

Are they preppers or farmer-types or do they have to go to the stores every day because they have no storage?

NASCL
    Participant

You can only pick three…….. :puke:

Lebron
    Participant

Stores out here have calmed down considerably from say 2 weeks ago.  Paper products still seem to be the item, and any of those sanitizing wipes.  I guess rice and beans but I don’t like either of those items anyhow.   I hate rice.  Ranch I order meat from has plenty.  I love punching in an online order for meat from a ranch and it shows up in a couple days vacuum packed in dry ice.  Seriously no need to ever interact with people again.  I could eat lamb every day.

Participant

Other than trying to sell PSL’s or whatever, why would the NFL/HBO go with a Rams/Chargers combo platter on Hard Knocks?

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

This weekend my wife, who’s a doctor, did both of these actions:

1. Went to the grocery store, bought 20 bags of stuff. We immediately put these away. We did not do the detox protocol that doctor did on YouTube. Everything’s in its original packaging. We saved the plastic bags for reuse. We started using and eating the items procured immediately.
    2. Insisted we put the bag containing the delivered Sunday paper into the shower to be left alone for 24 hours for any germs on it to perish, and that I immediately wash my hands and arms as it had been in contact with it.

Insert shrug emoji here

Lebron
    Participant

Not sure what the options are this year.  NFL HQ will be there too so they have all kinds of interests baked in.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 140 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar