Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 4/06-4/12/2020 Weekly Discussion Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 140 total)
  • Author
    Lebron
    Participant

I have no doubt if we weren’t all at home he’d be on an episode of Lebron’s barber shop show.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    jforb
    Participant

Tom Brady’s company has filed for two new trademark applications: TOMPA BAY & TAMPA BRADY. He intends to use the phrases on clothing and other merchandise.

Jesus. Thought it couldn’t get worse than a sit down with Stern.

So did he pick the team for the talent and coach or for the name?

Participant

Tom Brady’s company has filed for two new trademark applications: TOMPA BAY & TAMPA BRADY. He intends to use the phrases on clothing and other merchandise.

If you have a moment today Lebron, light a candle for Beth Stern “she’s working so hard” according to Howard. :lol:

Lebron
    Participant

Fouts out at CBS, at least off the #2 team with Ian Eagle.  Sounds like they are pursuing Charles Davis from Fox or they’ll move up Trent Green.

BrianInLA
    Participant

I was joking from the start about Brady only going to Tampa Bay because he could do TB12 crossover marketing. Sadly its sounding less and less like a joke.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

I saw some ESPN poll last night talking about fans attending games with no vaccine available.  Made me feel a bit less crazy as I was telling my while I would go do some things if/when this winds down but I’m not apt to do things like go to concerts or games unless there is a vaccine and I’m full shot up on it.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Watching this Fisk/Sox game and seeing Joe Rudi finally on the Sox. I was so confused back in 5th/6th grade when he got traded and then untraded to the Red Sox. Sadly its not the 28year old, 135 OPS+ Rudi and instead the 34 year old, broken down, 65 OPS+ Rudi. So good. So good.

I also somehow have zero recollection of Carney Lansford being good on the Sox. He won the batting title in ’81? Where was I?

2 users thanked author for this post.
    stabbed by foulke
    Participant

So Tom Brady was always this intolerable and we were just blind to it?

3 users thanked author for this post.
    BrianInLA
    Participant

My non-Patsfan friends tell me yes.

Lebron
    Participant

Watching this Fisk/Sox game and seeing Joe Rudi finally on the Sox. I was so confused back in 5th/6th grade when he got traded and then untraded to the Red Sox. Sadly its not the 28year old, 135 OPS+ Rudi and instead the 34 year old, broken down, 65 OPS+ Rudi. So good. So good.

I also somehow have zero recollection of Carney Lansford being good on the Sox. He won the batting title in ’81? Where was I?

They then traded Lansford to Oakland with I wanna say Gary Hancock and got Tony Armas back and Jeff Newman who at the time I thought was decent but wasn’t.  By ’86 my friends and I were calling Armas “no mas.”  ’81 was fucked up with the strike and you had teams like the Reds who had the best overall record but didn’t make the playoffs.  Then the Cardinals had the best record in the east and didn’t make it either.

I hated everything heading in to ’81.  2 separate trades you had Lynn and Burleson gone.  Hobson and Steve Renko I would have biked to the airport.  Then the Fisk stuff.  And you had washed up Joe Rudi, washed up Frank Tanana, Mark Clear who was a decent closer, Lansford and can’t remember the other 2 guys they got.  Just looked it up, Jim Dorsey and Rick Miller.  Washed up Rick Miller, on his second stint with the Red Sox.  I remember he had one big hit during his second tenure, game winning home run against the Yankees.  I think Tanana went on to have a decent couple of years with the Tigers throwing junk as the Angels blew his arm out using a 4 man rotation.

Lebron
    Participant

I’ll cop to not being able to finish that Tom v. Time bullshit heading in to 52.

Coma
    Participant

Forget it, Lebron, it’s Tompatown.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Nashua Dad
    Participant

Tampa Brady I can live with, get in before Berman runs with it.

I thought I’d be able to follow him with the next team, he chose a neutral team in the NFC but man I just can’t do it. Maybe the games will change things, but I bet the media goes over the top about how great he looks.  Checks stats, same stats as 2019 probably.

Gimp
    Participant

I’d be very surprised if the NFL had a normal regular season.  And while I’m actuallyOK with Brady heading somewhere else, I do reserve the right to enjoy the fact that one of his final 2 seasons will be a 12 game mini season.

That Tompa Bay thing is atrocious.

Participant

Does the TB12 store offer a line of feminine hygiene products?

Tompax is there for the taking for crissakes

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Coma
    Participant

I watched the 4th quarter of Peyton’s return to Indianapolis in 2013 yesterday. What stood out to me was that Welker made a couple of tough catches for the Broncos late in the 4th quarter. One that he was looking for to his left and had to adjust to it being over his head and the other where he was looking outside and the pass came to the inside.

I bring this up because I’ve heard people put the blame on Brady’s pass for that drop in SB 46. A perfect pass would have hit Welker in stride and he would have had a clear path to the end zone. He had to turn himself around on that play, but the ball hit him right in the hands. Perfect pass or not, a receiver as talented as Welker has to come up with that ball.

chicowalker
    Participant

wasn’t Lansford the reason Boggs was in the minors until he was like 25?

Lebron
    Participant

Boggs was definitely stuck with Lansford ahead of him but he also had issues in the minors, like his fielding sucked, OK hitter, no power, no speed.  Took him a while to develop, I think he was in the minors for a good 4 or 5 years before he became a decent prospect in ’81.  And I think when he came up they had him playing some 1st base as well.

Hacksaw
    Participant

The Ron Leflore movie was better than Field of Dreams.

GusChiggins
    Participant

I remember a few years ago there was talk of him upping his social media presence. That was the point it started to go downhill for me.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Boggs was definitely stuck with Lansford ahead of him but he also had issues in the minors, like his fielding sucked, OK hitter, no power, no speed. Took him a while to develop, I think he was in the minors for a good 4 or 5 years before he became a decent prospect in ’81. And I think when he came up they had him playing some 1st base as well.

IIRC, Pesky hit Boggs thousands of fungo grounders early in his career (I think at the same time every day, or at the same number of minutes past the hour) and Boggs turned into a very good third baseman. Good on Old Needle Nose, as Williams called Pesky.

jforb
    Participant

Just went out for a little ride. Barnicle has the back half of his driveway taped off like he’s trying to block a path or something :blink:

BrianInLA
    Participant

5 more weeks here at least. They are starting to ban house-to-house visits. Masks required everywhere. At least a 10 minute wait to get into any store because of capacity limits. And yet I chose to stand in the rain twice this week just to get out of the house. I give it 3 more weeks before some sort of civil war breaks out between the “open it up” and the “keep it safe” crowds.

Wordpress keeps eating my responses, so hopefully this isn’t a duplicate.

The reason I’m fine with the parting of ways was I couldn’t see any way Belichick or Brady would be happy with the next two years together (assuming we even get a season this year). This way allows them to separate on relatively good terms (regardless of the coded messages people believe they are seeing in Brady’s words), and lets the Pats avoid some painful events that will/could be coming. Now Belichick won’t face an onslaught the day he replaced Brady in the lineup. Now he won’t catch the heat if Brady has a career-ending injury. Now he can take most if not all of the pressure off Stidham. Nobody expects him to be Brady or even approach Brady’s level, so anything from him is gravy. But if he replaced Brady in the lineup within the next two years, that would be the end of the world (like it was with Kosar, and like it was with Bledsoe).

Brady even said it in his Stern interview: he outlasted all NFL career actuarial expectations. So of course they’re in uncharted territory. Belichick planned for the succession, but Brady outlasted that. The reason everybody scoffs at Stidham is he was a fourth round pick, and isn’t  a name like Burrow or Lawrence or Darnold or Mahomes or Watson, or whomever the latest QB du jour is. But none of them were names either before they became names. Garropolo was laughed off as a small-school nobody before he became the heir-apparent that Belichick traded off for nothing. Even Tom Brady wasn’t Tom Brady until multiple years into his career. It took him to have a career year in 2007 to even be put in the same sentence as Manning, then took another dozen years before a majority begrudgingly accepted he was the better player.

I’m also glad the end of Brady’s career didn’t fall into the media’s oh-so-specific fairy tale template. Heaven help them if somebody doesn’t abide by their idea of how things are supposed to go. Brady’s career never comported with their narrative before, so why should it now?

Hacksaw
    Participant

5 more weeks here at least. They are starting to ban house-to-house visits. Masks required everywhere. At least a 10 minute wait to get into any store because of capacity limits. And yet I chose to stand in the rain twice this week just to get out of the house. I give it 3 more weeks before some sort of civil war breaks out between the “open it up” and the “keep it safe” crowds.

Here in TX we have been in lockdown since spring break (2nd week of March), parents were demanding schools be shutdown before then. They didn’t realize you also have to close the malls, cancel all club sports events and trampoline parks. So instead of dropping the kids off somewhere guess what…you are watching kids as well and helping the kids with ELearning.

Also heard today our governor is thinking of loosening up on the lockdown.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 140 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar