Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 4/06-4/12/2020 Weekly Discussion Thread

Viewing 15 posts - 126 through 140 (of 140 total)
  • Author
    Lebron
    Participant

Spearchucker Jones won’t be down for the Easter egg hunt

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Coma
    Participant

With Brady opening a TB12 center in Tampa, will the Glazers be able to offer him the same sweetheart deal that Kraft did (I would say “allegedly,” but it’s a fact, honks and bobos)? Is there something comparable to Patriot Place next to Raymond James Stadium? Also, has Kraft jacked up the rent now for the place next to Gillette since Brady has left the team? For all the media folks who claimed this happened, no one seems interested in the topic now.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Hacksaw
    Participant

Jim Cornette had Kevin Sullivan on his podcast to discuses the Chris and Nancy Benoit Darkside of the Ring episode. Sullivan mentions a few things.

– he didn’t take part because he wanted approval from Nancy’s parents. He is on good terms with the parents. Feels they do not want to talk about it anymore.

– Nancy and Kevin Sullivan were separated for 7 months before the angle took place. They were living separate homes by then.

– Nancy stabbed Kevin Sullivan and was put in jail for three days. Kevin did not press charges and bailed her out. They did what they had to do to clean her record. It was in People magazine. Sullivan rarely talks about the charge.

– Chris Benoit told Kevin Sullivan and Eric Bischoff that he wanted Benoit’s currents wife’s approval before the Nancy angle took place.

– Chris Benoit’s first wife was pregnant with Chris’s son when the angle started.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Hacksaw
    Participant

The guy was a perfectionist in the operating room.

Lebron
    Participant

I always remember Cornette as the spaz with a tennis racquet.  What was the deal with that anyway?  Bischoff was a big NWO guy but I never understood his role.  The original NWO angle was great.  Then they fucked it up adding anyone and everyone to their stable.  Hogan/Hall/Nash was a great lineup.

Lebron
    Participant

70 here yesterday, cut the lawn, edged, fertilized, fed the roses, planted lettuce, took the ski rack off the car.  Today? 20 and light snow.

Hacksaw
    Participant

I always remember Cornette as the spaz with a tennis racquet. What was the deal with that anyway? Bischoff was a big NWO guy but I never understood his role. The original NWO angle was great. Then they fucked it up adding anyone and everyone to their stable. Hogan/Hall/Nash was a great lineup.

Cornette is a wrestling purist. He is Costas with baseball, he thinks his ideas are good for the business.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Cornette is great. He was a brilliant promoter and is a fun follow on twitter/podcasts. Never struck me as a guy who let his ego get out of control like most promoters/bookers but I’m sure some would feel otherwise. His feelings about Vince Russo on the Brawl For All episode are awesome. Russo was a total tool.

BrianInLA
    Participant

When I was much younger I used to think Cornette was a prude with his feelings of extreme wrestling and how it was getting out of control. He used to always say that someone was going to die. Now that I’m older I’ve really come around to his way of thinking. When they were showing some of the New Jack stuff from ECW I had seen it all years ago but seeing it again now, knowing what we know now about head injuries, its just stupid as hell watching what these guys were doing. Also New Jack should be in jail.

Coma
    Participant

– Chris Benoit’s first wife was pregnant with Chris’s son when the angle started.

I wasn’t aware that Benoit was married to his first son’s mother and I think they were intentionally vague about that on the show. I’m not sure why, because it’s hardly the worst thing he did. Maybe they didn’t want to hint at Benoit doing anything negative until his apparent spiral after Eddie Guerrero’s death leading into the murders.

I think the most impressive thing about the Brawl for All episode is that Vince Russo didn’t say “bro” at any point in the show. In my opinion, Russo comes off the worst because he was tired of one guy bragging in the locker room, he came up with an idea to shut him up, but he wasn’t physically involved in any way. In the end, Russo’s happy because Bradshaw got his comeuppance, but he ignores all the guys who got hurt in the process of fulfilling his plan.

BrianInLA
    Participant

This is the first time I’ve watched this in 12 years but I have to think the Samuel missed int followed by the in-the-grasp helmet catch have to be the worst back to back plays in Boston sports history.

I am still not sure how they lost this game.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    BrianInLA
    Participant

Cornette says the Russo/Bradshaw bully story is bullshit.  He said there is no way Bradshaw was bullying any of the guys in the 1998 locker room especially since he was a mid level card guy.  Says Russo just started telling the bully reason in the last few years.

Yahtzee
    Participant

NY Post sports photog dies at 48 from the virus.  Sad but have to say I can’t stand most of the subjects he photographed.

Obit

Humphrey
    Participant

Never paid much attention to the MASH tv show except for it being on an endless reel of TV 38 reruns along with The Odd Couple and Hogan’s Heroes (you knew it was a long Sox rain delay when they got to show an episode of all three of them).

Didn’t know Spearchucker was Timmy Brown from the Eagles. Good player on, for the most part, shitty Eagles teams. Bad week for that franchise as they lost Pete Retzlaff too.

Spearchucker in the movie was Fred Williamson.

Participant

The Globe’s the best – mercifully it’s behind a paywall.

Medical workers share concerns about masks delivered by Patriots plane
Viewing 15 posts - 126 through 140 (of 140 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar