Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 4/1-4/7/2019 Weekly Discussion Thread – Final 4 Edition

This topic contains 143 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by  Florida Sox Fan 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 144 total)
  • Author

InThisTown
    Participant

Bedard has Bill tanking for Lawrence. :lol:

5 users thanked author for this post.

Participant

:lol: Mut believes the Coach

Claude45
    Participant

So many conflicting takez.

• Belichick is just waiting for the Giants job to open to get his dream job
    • Belichick was going “all in” two off seasons ago because he was going to retire
    • Belichick is going to retire because Kraft made him trade Jimmy G
    • Belichick is going to retire due to the tension in the Belichick/Kraft/Brady relationship
    • Belichick said he was not going to coach in his 70s
    • Belichick is arrogant, needs to prove how smart he is at all times, he can’t wait to show it was all him and not Brady. That he can win with any QB. It’s his system not players.
    • Belichick is a heartless, winning cyborg. No feelings at all towards his players, just his record. 2-14 does not help that.
    • Belichick thinks he is the only reason they win. He thinks he doesn’t need Brady or great QB to win. He loved the 4 games Brady was suspended.
    • The AFC East and league sucks and stinks. It’s impossible for the Pats to lose that many games.

So now, a guy who talks about winning pre-season games and if you’re a competitor it matters. A guy who respects and breathes NFL history and his place in it. An intelligent guy who can figure the odds that if you tank, you may not even get the first pick. Then, if the pick doesn’t want to play for you, he holds the cards. That after 18 years after asking players to sacrifice to win, one year he’s gong to say screw it, let’s lose so we can win in the future when you’re not here. Belichick’s going to tell Brady to either quit or deal with it because he’s quitting on the season, one of the last seasons you have (I have and will not read the article so I’m sure he throws in a half thought out Brady trade). Does he ask his coaching staff to put in the work or tell them “it’s half speed this year boys, we’re looking to lose a ton”? I don’t know Belichick personally but tanking would seem to go against everything I think Belichick stands for.

This is not a well thought out post, just some thoughts while I pay half attention to a conference call. So I’m sure Bedard’s treatise provides a much stronger case for why he thinks Belichick is tanking next year. Looking forward to 2-14!

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Belichick said he was not going to coach in his 70s

This is one of my favorites. Not because it can’t possibly be true (Bill could quit tomorrow, who knows?), but because the media constantly references it without more recent evidence, nor an appreciation of changing circumstances, nor with any inkling that someone might change their mind or feel differently than they did 10 years ago. Especially a guy who isn’t forthcoming to these dolts about what his actual feelings are about anything.

A lot of reasons Bill might continue past 70, which I’ve mentioned before. His kids (and Linda’s kids) are adults at this point, and his sons are coaching with him. Maybe he just decides he still likes doing it, is in good health, and he just wouldn’t rather be elsewhere 24/7. Or (and sorry to beat a dead horse) Bill secretly has one eye on Shula’s all-time wins record.

7 users thanked author for this post.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

My favorite false narrative has always been the Giants ‘dream job’, but I must admit that ‘Bill almost quite/retired mid-season after being forced to trade Jimmm G” is also close to my heart.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Hacksaw
    Participant

Last night, Adam Jones had Petco Sports Group remove a fan because of vulgar language.

Big Fat O
    Participant

Of course Mut is going to listen to Coach Betard. Why would you think a coach that won 6 Super Bowls knows what he’s doing.

2 users thanked author for this post.

thatsnotwhatisaid
    Participant

For the Athletic subscribers on the board this is an excellent article about a DII QB trying to convert to slot.  It’s got a bunch of good tidbits about Edelman and what separates him from the myriad guys with the same 3 cone and short shuttle numbers:  Slot Receivers

Lebron
    Participant

Mick Jagger said no way I’m going to be doing this shit in my 40s.  Now he’s on social media apologizing for delaying a tour in his 70s.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Coma
    Participant

How did the AAF fail with media darlings such as Polian, Polamu, Hines Ward and Mike Pereira involves?

Really hope Polian invested all his money in it.

It won’t happen, but I hope he also said goodbye to his gig on Sirius XM and they won’t hire him back.

Maybe 3 or 4 weeks ago, I saw a headline that wondered where the XFL was going to get players next year with all these guys playing in the AAF. I guess the XFL people didn’t have to worry about that for long, if they ever did.

Lebron
    Participant

I didn’t know Adam Jones still played.

Chuck Schick
    Participant

I think this whole time I thought the AAF was the new XFL. So there’s still another league coming? I’ll just continue not paying attention to be safe.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Coma
    Participant

Bedard has Bill tanking for Lawrence. :lol:

Well, Bedard did promise a “No Hottakes” approach, so he must have solid information from multiple sources that this really is going to be the Patriots approach.

Yesterday morning, I was driving and had this moment of clarity about Bedard, his tweet about Gronkowski’s draft and career prospects and his inability to defuse that situation. This isn’t concise as when it occurred to me yesterday, but it was along the lines of “Imagine if Bedard was a GM and had to deal with real criticism about passing on Gronk or missing with any of his other picks that year? What if he had to deal with negative feedback over several drafts, free agent signings and coaching hires? He can’t laugh off something he was wrong about 9 years ago. He wouldn’t last a year in a job where there real consequences for his decisions.”

Next to Bill Simmons getting an NBA GM job, Bedard working for an NFL team would have the most entertainment value in terms of being a spectacular train wreck.

Big Fat O
    Participant

You can sum Coach Betard up as the one eyed king in the land of the blind.

When your supporters are Mut, Felger, etc whose agenda is to shit on the Pats, Coach Betard is king since he needs to shit on BB to prove his worth.

I think it would be safe to assume that if BB offered the Coach to come in and do the Belistrator segment on All Ass Kiss instead of Zolak he would turn it down. It would expose him for the fraud he is.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

I think this whole time I thought the AAF was the new XFL. So there’s still another league coming? I’ll just continue not paying attention to be safe.

Yes, this new league will be created by Vince McMahon, so you know it’ll be more well thought out and sustainable.

Participant

Ric Bucher “From everything I’ve heard, it’s done. Yes, he’s leaving,” Bucher said, as transcribed by NBC Sports Bay Area. “It’s not a matter of not liking or appreciating what he has. But being there, I can tell you that Kevin Durant has never been fully embraced by the Warriors faithful. And has never, from even a national perspective, been given the just due that you would expect for a guy who has been the NBA Finals MVP of their last two championships. It’s still Steph’s team. It’s still Steph, Klay, Draymond. KD thanks for coming along and helping us win these last two. He’s never gotten the just deserts.”

Bucher goes on to surmise that Durant wants to go someplace where he’ll be a “centerpiece,” which certainly would be the case with the Knicks.

If true, what a needy prick.

Big Fat O
    Participant

Durant could have come here and it would have been all his. Maybe it would have taken a year or two to win but the pieces are/were in place.

Now he can go to the Knicks and suck.

I transcribed a really long Cowherd rant from December where he’s doing somewhat of a victory lap after the Pats lost to the Steelers, and making a bunch of declarations and predictions that all proved disastrously and hilariously wrong. I’d like to post it on BSMW somewhere, but like I said, it’s a really long screed. Any problems posting it here?

chicowalker
    Participant

only if you make it into a (minimum) 1024×768 .jpeg :ohmy:

I’d like to read it. And fuck Durant.  When he’s inducted into the HoF who shows? Is there such a thing as aKevin Durant fan (besides his mom)?

So here’s Cowherd, the day after the Pats’ 17-10 loss to the Steelers. The delivery, full of pauses and points of emphasis, suggests he prepared this in advance, rather than some off-the-cuff riffing:

A couple of years ago, I started mentioning this, I noticed a trend with Tom Brady: that as he has aged, his Decembers he looks tired. He loses zip on his arm. And sure enough, I went and looked it up, and he has his lowest completion percentage month is December, his most interceptions is December, fewest yards per game in December, his passer rating is lowest in December. And what do I take from this? This is how you age, unless you’re on cattle steroids. In baseball, 37-year-olds suddenly played like they were in their prime. On the Tour de France, guys who were older literally could scale the mountain like Superman. But if you’re not on cattle steroids, this is how Tim Duncan aged, this is how Tom Brady is aging. He is still good. He’s good. And he still has moments of great. But as the season wears on, it’s a long season and by December, Tom could use a couple of weeks off, he could use a bye week. He could really use about six days of not throwing the football. 

For the record, Belichick you do realize, he was furious he had to trade Jimmy Garoppolo. Because Tom Brady has become the kind of player Belichick moves off of: good, aging, expensive, and you wanna get rid of them a year or two early, not a year or two late. Belichick wanted to have Jimmy Garoppolo ready for right now, and this would be Tom’s last year. Instead, they have no backup quarterback, and an aging quarterback who is no longer pushed by Jimmy Garoppolo.
    This is not all Brady’s fault. Outside of Trey Flowers, their front seven defensively is completely average. This is not all Brady’s fault. Edelman’s past his prime, too many drops; Gronk’s a non-factor in most games; Josh Gordon’s your deep threat, really? This is not all Brady’s issue. For years, he’s been taking pay cuts, which means they should have talent everywhere around him, and they don’t. But Tom is simply not good enough to squeeze 12 to 13 wins out of an average roster.
    I think Tom this year will squeeze 10 wins out of an average roster. But they’re not good enough to go on the road and beat good teams. They’re not going to go on the road, if they had to go on the road and play Baltimore in a playoff game, they’re not good enough. They’re not good enough if they were in the NFC to go to Chicago and win, this time of the year, December, when Tom’s getting worn out. So I think they’ll squeeze 10 wins out of this thing.
    Some of this is on Belichick, Brady’s been taking paycuts forever, where are the players? Where are they? Devin McCourty’s talented, Trey Flowers is good. Where are the players?!! Where are you spending the money? He’s whiffed on draft picks. But New England now is just a good team, with a quarterback who is aging, who could use absolutely a couple bye weeks now, some days not to throw, to hydrate, rest, hang out with his kids.
    Brady looks like he’s looked the last four or five years in December. But now what’s around him, despite his paycuts, is really average. And he’s simply not at the point in his career where he can carry average. Andrew Luck can. Patrick Mahomes has the energy for the next seven years to do that. There are guys around this league that can do that. Tom’s not one of them.
    And this is how dynasties end, for the Spurs and the Patriots, when your star is not on steroids.

Lebron
    Participant

The Rodgers suck ups are out in full force today on the heels of that Bleacher Report story.  Interesting in that the reporter for that one got some of his sources, more than some, to go on record.  Huh, I thought you could only write hit pieces with 90 or so unnamed sources.

Lebron
    Participant

I like how he says Brady is the type of player Bill moves on from because he’s ‘expensive’ and a few sentences later says he’s been taking pay cuts for years why does the talent around him blow?  Which is it, is he too expensive or is he taking pay cuts?  And if you moved on from Brady, you then had to pay Garoppolo, and he was going to be more expensive than Brady.

Participant

Andrew Luck’s been “carrying” people for nearly a generation – that putz would have been perfect with team cusp of the brink….

Lebron
    Participant

I hope Kyrie goes to New York with Durant and they passively aggressively brawl while they play their Randall21 game of Follow the Leader.

Lebron
    Participant

I read the link to NBC Bay Area and they basically say Bucher is full of shit because like 90+% of these NBA guys, he doesn’t actually talk to anyone and spends zero time at any of the facilities.  He can hang 10 out a Mavericks though.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 144 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar