Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 4/1-4/7/2019 Weekly Discussion Thread – Final 4 Edition

This topic contains 142 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by  Chuck Schick 2 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 143 total)
  • Author

Coma
    Participant

I like how he says Brady is the type of player Bill moves on from because he’s ‘expensive’ and a few sentences later says he’s been taking pay cuts for years why does the talent around him blow? Which is it, is he too expensive or is he taking pay cuts? And if you moved on from Brady, you then had to pay Garoppolo, and he was going to be more expensive than Brady.

I liked the “For the record, Belichick…was furious he had to trade Jimmy Garoppolo” quote. What record was that, exactly? Belichick never said or even implied that publicly. In the world of Cowherd (and, unfortunately, a lot of other people), the real story is what a journalist with a grudge* against the Patriots was allegedly told by exclusively anonymous sources. That’s what we should all believe.

*Someone on twitter pointed out that when a blue check mark sports journalist tweets something positive about the Patriots, Wickersham is frequently there with a “Yeah, but…” response. The guy clearly has an issue with the team, but we’re supposed to accept that his stories that paint them in a negative light are objective.

Hacksaw
    Participant

TEAM MEETING RIGHT FUCKING NOW!

I like how he says Brady is the type of player Bill moves on from because he’s ‘expensive’ and a few sentences later says he’s been taking pay cuts for years why does the talent around him blow? Which is it, is he too expensive or is he taking pay cuts? And if you moved on from Brady, you then had to pay Garoppolo, and he was going to be more expensive than Brady.

I liked the “For the record, Belichick…was furious he had to trade Jimmy Garoppolo” quote. What record was that, exactly? Belichick never said or even implied that publicly. In the world of Cowherd (and, unfortunately, a lot of other people), the real story is what a journalist with a grudge* against the Patriots was allegedly told by exclusively anonymous sources. That’s what we should all believe.

*Someone on twitter pointed out that when a blue check mark sports journalist tweets something positive about the Patriots, Wickersham is frequently there with a “Yeah, but…” response. The guy clearly has an issue with the team, but we’re supposed to accept that his stories that paint them in a negative light are objective.

Yeah, that Wickersham claim’s just accepted as gospel now. Didn’t know about his Twitter challenges to pro-Pats media. Examples?

Lefty

TEAM MEETING RIGHT FUCKING NOW!

Is this the new “81-81 here we come?”

2 users thanked author for this post.

Coma
    Participant

Yeah, that Wickersham claim’s just accepted as gospel now. Didn’t know about his Twitter challenges to pro-Pats media. Examples?

I was basing my comment on this tweet from @MarkPiselli13:

Literally any pro-Patriots comment made by a journalist is met with a Seth Wickerbasket “yeah, but” response (see last RT). The guy could not be more obvious with how much he wants to see the Patriots fail.

This was the tweet (from Kevin Clark) that he was referring to:

The Patriots have applied pretty basic economic principles to roster building for two decades and like 28 teams are completely baffled by it.

That’s the only example I’ve got, but it’s still one more direct source than you would find in the average Wickersham article.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Practically any YouTube clip of a Cowherd monologue is followed by several comments pointing out some detail he was completely wrong about, or got totally backwards.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Coma
    Participant

Something I meant to add to my post about Wickersham: I took a look at his twitter feed. I wasn’t expecting to see that he’s a big Springsteen fan. At all.

Claude45
    Participant

I do love the Rodgers white knights on twitter. As a Pats fans, let’s say I accept your premise that Rodgers is more talented and better. Why do I really care? Good for you, the team you root for has the most physically talented QB. Awesome. You got to watch one Superbowl win and bunch of seasons missing the playoffs or early playoff outs. As a Pats fan, watching the second rate TB, 9 Superbowls, 6 wins, 8 straight AFC championships, etc, etc. I rooted for an unparalleled run of success while you witnessed arm talent/athletic underachieving year after year. Congratulations, you win I guess.

I know the Rodgers fans think being a leader and great teammate when you’re the star on the team means zero towards winning. Which is interesting because if this was true, it would seem Rodgers should win more. But compare the Rodgers article to the quotes from teammates of Brady. How the players themselves say that Brady’s attitude is pivotal in all the winning.

Look no further than James Harrison, with no reason to say good things about Brady, talking about he came in (from a heated rival) and expected to hate Brady. But he couldn’t. That Brady was a great teammate and he ended up loving playing with him.

Good for you Packer fans, you get to sit around and talk about what should have been with the GOAT. We get to sit back and watch all the highlights of what was with what you consider a second rate QB. All those highlights over all those years with a few more to come. You win I guess.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

The Packers are very underrated in the hateable franchise category.  I’ve said it here before, but the Sainted Lombardi could run laps around Belichick in an arrogance sweepstakes. His gloating after Super Bowl I about NFL supremacy was exemplary. Yes, he died relatively young and may have won multiple titles with the Redskins had he lived. But I’m sure his arrogance would also have been displayed time and again as well.

6 users thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

I do love the Rodgers white knights on twitter. As a Pats fans, let’s say I accept your premise that Rodgers is more talented and better. Why do I really care? Good for you, the team you root for has the most physically talented QB. Awesome. You got to watch one Superbowl win and bunch of seasons missing the playoffs or early playoff outs. As a Pats fan, watching the second rate TB, 9 Superbowls, 6 wins, 8 straight AFC championships, etc, etc. I rooted for an unparalleled run of success while you witnessed arm talent/athletic underachieving year after year. Congratulations, you win I guess.

I know the Rodgers fans think being a leader and great teammate when you’re the star on the team means zero towards winning. Which is interesting because if this was true, it would seem Rodgers should win more. But compare the Rodgers article to the quotes from teammates of Brady. How the players themselves say that Brady’s attitude is pivotal in all the winning.

Look no further than James Harrison, with no reason to say good things about Brady, talking about he came in (from a heated rival) and expected to hate Brady. But he couldn’t. That Brady was a great teammate and he ended up loving playing with him.

Good for you Packer fans, you get to sit around and talk about what should have been with the GOAT. We get to sit back and watch all the highlights of what was with what you consider a second rate QB. All those highlights over all those years with a few more to come. You win I guess.

Harrison played a handful of games with Brady and that was his takeaway.  I told this story here years ago but was at a corporate event and John Lynch was the speaker, someone asked him who the best coach he ever played for was and he immediately said Belichick.  Experienced 1 camp and 4 preseason games.  Played for Shanahan, Gruden, Dungy, think he even played for Walsh in college at Stanford.

chicowalker
    Participant

In the TB/BB era, what teams have been held up as the standard, non Patriots division? Colts/Broncos/Steelers/Packers/Giants.  Only Two of those five didn’t jettison a star player or coach in the last year because of internal strife- one is owned by this

and the other is a mile-high shitpile run by a drunk changing mediocre quarterbacks like he does his drawers, while behind the scenes the owner’s family is tearing itself to shreds to see who will be the successor.  Nice league!

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by  chicowalker.

Lebron
    Participant

I still hit ESPN.com if I’m trying to find out schedules on games, mostly out of habit I suppose.  I go there a couple of minutes ago and the main story with huge photo is something about WWE.  Saturdays are all MMA.  Such a weird turn in what they cover.  The standard quick hit sports headline links are practically buried.  I guess it’s similar to MTV not playing videos anymore and I have no nostalgia or love lost for that outlet and when they do cover ‘mainstream’ sports its having reporters assigned to players but it seems more accurate to call them personalities.  They don’t even recognize the NHL.  Give the consumer what they want I suppose.

Lebron
    Participant

3.5 for Craig Carton.  Guy only bilked people out of $7 million.  Judge apparently joked at the beginning of sentencing “Colleen from New York, first time, long time”

Hacksaw
    Participant

3.5 for Craig Carton. Guy only bilked people out of $7 million. Judge apparently joked at the beginning of sentencing “Colleen from New York, first time, long time”

Is that in white collar prison or hard time prison?

chicowalker
    Participant

Speaking of prison sentences, meant to post this the other day.  This is a Cranston guy who laundered money for Escobar in the 80’s.  He recently lost a petition that the feds seized more than they were supposed to.  He got a 660 year sentence :ohmy:   while his wife got 12, out in 8 or so.  The coda to the story seemed almost like they were trolling him, and it killed me

Saccoccia, 60, is serving his sentence at the federal penitentiary in Coleman, Florida. His release date is Aug. 31, 2567 :lol:

The house they owned was bought by a friend of mine years later.  At the time of the arrest, feds found gold bars buried in the yard, etc.  Nobody lived there between their arrest and my friend’s purchase.  This place was a coked out fever dream.  My friend has made some updates but kids etc have slowed his progress.  I was there for a birthday party a couple of weeks ago and had to laugh as my daughter sat next to me at the 15 foot long onyx bar eating a cupcake, the same spot no doubt once occupied by someone snorting a line the size of my arm next to a 19 year old hooker :lol:

https://www.providencejournal.com/news/20190328/judge-rejects-bid-by-imprisoned-gold-dealer-to-get-gold-bars-money-back

Big Fat O
    Participant

Leon Powe needs a little work as the color guy.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

It would certainly be a little embarrassing if the Red Sox sit at 2-9 Tuesday when they get their 2018 rings.

:blink:

Yahtzee
    Participant

It would certainly be a little embarrassing if the Red Sox sit at 2-9 Tuesday when they get their 2018 rings.

Cubs, Sox and Giants look terrible.

Nice win for the C’s.

Humphrey
    Participant

Cubs, Sox and Giants look terrible.

Nice win for the C’s.

Well at least they can’t blame the closer- he never gets to pitch.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Participant

We probably won’t see a “Maybe the Patriots Red Sox aren’t that good” article from Waxpack.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

I don’t actually care if the Sox have a horrible season this year, but it’d be funny if they will have already squandered the victory goodwill by the first home game.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

I’ve kind of become addicted to FanSpeak’s draft simulator in the last few days despite not being a draftnik. https://fanspeak.com/ontheclock/

Observations:

If they stay pat at 32, then there’s usually a WR or TE there that draftniks think should be next in line. Most often Irv Smith or Fant on the TE side, or 3 or 4 WRs that would fit.

Of the positions of need, the one that almost never falls to 32 is Offensive Tackle. With Wynn coming off an injury and Cannon 30 and injury prone, I think that might be a bigger need than commonly thought. If the Pats trade up, it might be for that.

With four 7th round picks, if the Pats don’t package some for trades I could see them going for a quantity approach to some positions. A pattern I found myself falling into was drafting TE, WR, TE and then no other receivers until the 7th round, where I picked 2 or 3 of them. My working theory is that the Pats can’t tell if a receiver will understand their system until they get them here. So many accomplished receivers have failed to thrive here. We could bring in Antonio Brown and he might not get it. So they don’t invest that heavily in any one receiver.

I kind of like the notion of not trading too much. There seem to be good options in most of the areas of need where they are drafting with the exception of OT (of if you’re thinking that way, successor level QB). You could easily draft TEx2, WRx2, DT, Edge, S and have five picks left to draft luxuries in the 6th and 7th rounds (QB, kick returner, special teams ace, etc.)

Of course, all of this is almost certainly meaningless when the real draft starts.

Humphrey
    Participant

That’s a tough way to lose, that’s for sure.

The bad call wasn’t the 3 pointer at the end, it turns out. It was the guy bringing the ball up the court prior to that, the guy double dribbled.

Participant

BB A football life is on.

”This is Wes Welker in progress.” Gil Santos on Edelman.

Than bill tells welker who Wally pipp was.

Nearly 10 years later and its still great.

3 users thanked author for this post.

328 Chauncey St
    Participant

Speaking of prison sentences, meant to post this the other day. This is a Cranston guy who laundered money for Escobar in the 80’s. He recently lost a petition that the feds seized more than they were supposed to. He got a 660 year sentence :ohmy:while his wife got 12, out in 8 or so. The coda to the story seemed almost like they were trolling him, and it killed me

Saccoccia, 60, is serving his sentence at the federal penitentiary in Coleman, Florida. His release date is Aug. 31, 2567 :lol:

The house they owned was bought by a friend of mine years later. At the time of the arrest, feds found gold bars buried in the yard, etc. Nobody lived there between their arrest and my friend’s purchase. This place was a coked out fever dream. My friend has made some updates but kids etc have slowed his progress. I was there for a birthday party a couple of weeks ago and had to laugh as my daughter sat next to me at the 15 foot long onyx bar eating a cupcake, the same spot no doubt once occupied by someone snorting a line the size of my arm next to a 19 year old hooker :lol:

https://www.providencejournal.com/news/20190328/judge-rejects-bid-by-imprisoned-gold-dealer-to-get-gold-bars-money-back

Wow..memories! I worked the wire tap on that case out of rented office space in Garden City. He was a brilliant guy, but he surrounded himself with the gang that couldn’t shoot straight. We had a bug in his coin shop..He always emphasized the need to be careful, and speak in code…one day, a guy came in one day asking about the value of a coin..they shooed him out and clearly stated for the microphones “Jesus Christ…when will these people stop bothering us with these fucking coins..don’t they realize we’re money launderers” :lol: :lol: Game over!

Another guy would play the piano whenever he was in there alone..played beautiful classical music everyday after lunch, but with frequent interruptions as he would pause to break wind..loud enough to spike the needles on the monitor!it was a daily highlight.

He called in one day and tried to surreptitiously tell one of his guys about an upcoming meeting. After speaking in code a few times, hinting at the “place down below, the place we got the oranges, etc” it was obvious the guy on the phone didn’t understand. he finally blew up and screamed “we’re picking up the money next Friday in Miami” and hung up :lol:

I was in that house,  Chico..you are absolutely correct. Looks like every other house in the neighborhood. Inside, it was nuts…the entire downstairs was one large room with a huge bar..the one you mentioned, obviously. Pretty sure there wasn’t even a kitchen…just a half bath. The room had cathedral ceilings as he had torn out the second floor..there was only one bedroom..a loft with a huge Shaq-esque bed on a platform and a gigantic Jacuzzi in the middle of the room..we tore the place apart looking for money, but didn’t find anything of note..the gold bars were actually dug up in his moms backyard a few years later..He and a TON of money, but we didn’t find any there..though we’d did find over 10 million in safe deposit boxes…maybe your friend will have more luck..just tell him to tell no one (except you, of course!) if he finds it and to enjoy it. I’m sure he’d make better use of it than Uncle Sam!!

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 143 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar