Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 4/11/2018 Daily Thread

This topic contains 64 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  Yahtzee 8 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 65 total)
  • Author

Kevin
    Participant

The Yankees are melting?

Claude45
    Participant

A high bar but that may be LJ’s most indecipherable work yet. Nothing in the cartoon connects to anything else in the cartoon, in any way. After looking at that nose, I think LJ may be struggling with some issues.

Why a snowman? Why a tin cup? Why reference Joe DiMaggio? Why an anal plug for a nose (back me up BiLA)? When you see the Yankees get blown out in a game, you obviously think of Frosty running. LJ’s a real untalented weirdo. His “career” is a real mystery.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by  Claude45.
    • This reply was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by  Claude45.

chicowalker
    Participant

You see, the yankees won the offseason (Stanton) which is the winter (snowman) but the yankees have been mediocre and stanton has been shit, so..melting snowman…and..uh, they are dipping in the standings…

GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

The nose looks like a cross between a dick and a log of shit. And it’s the least bothersome thing about the scribble.

Come back, Regular Brian.

My agenda is truth.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

The Yankees are melting?

“Dipper”? Does LJ think that’s a clever play on Yankee Clipper? That makes no sense. Yankees as a snowman that melts under the warm sun? They got their butts kicked last night and there was neither warmth nor sun involved. Is the cup a beggar’s cup? The Yankees have plenty of money, so that can’t be it. A cup of hot toddy? Closer, I guess.  But who plays baseball with a glove on one hand and a cup in the other? And clearly LJ made the skills-based decision to not give the snowman pinstripes.

We’re on angels dancing on the head of a pin territory here.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

Haven’t read any Sox-Yanks recaps, but I think it’s worth noting that (by my count) the Sox had the bases loaded 5 times in the first six innings.

They broke it open in the 6th, but could have done that in a couple of earlier innings as well.

Participant

Pete’s mailbag is always a treat, this week he tells us how the Patriots draft may unfold.

As a bonus, Pete gets to remind us 2 more times how much more he cares about the Humboldt situation than we do.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/04/11/patriots-draft-quarterback-bill-belichick-josh-mcdaniels-mmqb

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

I’m going to guess that LJ drew that a few months ago with no specific use in mind. He was very proud of it so it’s been on the top of what ever that slob uses as a desk since. Once he saw the Sox won big he just had to get it out there even it nothing about it makes a lick of god damn sense. The though may have entered his mind to try and rejigger that thing into a Toronto Maple Leaf snowman but it was too much work.

Kevin
    Participant

Speaking Of Humboldt, you can only make fun of Dale honoring Raymond J. Bourque’s stick here. :lol:

Feejis
    Participant

Heard 2 minutes of Dickerson whining that he hasn’t been able to find work.

Guess that’s what happens when you have no marketable skills.

chicowalker
    Participant

Pete’s mailbag is always a treat, this week he tells us how the Patriots draft may unfold. As a bonus, Pete gets to remind us 2 more times how much more he cares about the Humboldt situation than we do. https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/04/11/patriots-draft-quarterback-bill-belichick-josh-mcdaniels-mmqb

This is (probably) terrifically phony, but follow the plot line:

This sentence makes me want to kick puppies.  It’s not “probably” phony, it’s definitely phony, because it’s speculative about a scenario that has not happened, but might.  So not real. But also not “phony” because it’s not propagating a falsehood, or a lie per se- it’s a prediction of sorts.  I won’t even touch “terrifically”.

How, how can he be so bad at this?  I’m not even talking about his DadJean takes, just his inability to craft a sentence properly?  He’s been doing this for nearly 40 FUCKING YEARS.  What would be the equivalent in another industry (besides multiple firings).   I’ve been a short order cook since ’78. Diners all across the country.  Just don’t ask me to do eggs, not my strong suit

Kingasaurus
    Participant

The nose looks like a cross between a dick and a log of shit. And it’s the least bothersome thing about the scribble.

Maddening.

Here’s the only thing I can think of: He knows the nose is supposed to be a carrot, but his cortex short-circuited while he was drawing, and he thought for a moment that he was drawing the three buttons on the snowman’s torso. Then he regained his senses but was too lazy to start over and just left it.

Claude45
    Participant

Heard 2 minutes of Dickerson whining that he hasn’t been able to find work. Guess that’s what happens when you have no marketable skills.

I heard some of that. I know he has medical issues but the only requirement of the job was to show and he was admittedly unreliable.

Participant

Heard 2 minutes of Dickerson whining that he hasn’t been able to find work. Guess that’s what happens when you have no marketable skills.

I enjoyed that.

Kirk/Gerry should do a segment like this every week.

Make it like the old, old, old game show “Queen for a Day”.

“The interview will climax with Bailey  Kirk/Gerry asking the unemployable contestant what he/she needed most and why he/she wanted to win the title of Queen for a Day “Hottaker for a Day”. Many women sports media members broke down sobbing as they described their plights, and Bailey Kirk/Jerry was will always be  quick to comfort them and offer a clean white handkerchief to dry their eyes.

The winner, to the musical accompaniment of Pomp and Circumstance anything by Springsteen, would be draped in a sable-trimmed red velvet robe, given a glittering jeweled crown to wear, placed on a velvet-upholstered throne, and handed a dozen long-stemmed roses to hold as he/she wept, often uncontrollably, while his/her list of prizes are announced.”

BrianInLA
    Participant

A high bar but that may be LJ’s most indecipherable work yet. Nothing in the cartoon connects to anything else in the cartoon, in any way. After looking at that nose, I think LJ may be struggling with some issues. Why a snowman? Why a tin cup? Why reference Joe DiMaggio? Why an anal plug for a nose (back me up BiLA)? When you see the Yankees get blown out in a game, you obviously think of Frosty running. LJ’s a real untalented weirdo. His “career” is a real mystery.

At first I thought it was poop. Most of the buttplugs these days are neon colors for some reason. :lol:

BrianInLA
    Participant

A high bar but that may be LJ’s most indecipherable work yet. Nothing in the cartoon connects to anything else in the cartoon, in any way. After looking at that nose, I think LJ may be struggling with some issues. Why a snowman? Why a tin cup? Why reference Joe DiMaggio? Why an anal plug for a nose (back me up BiLA)? When you see the Yankees get blown out in a game, you obviously think of Frosty running. LJ’s a real untalented weirdo. His “career” is a real mystery.

At first I thought it was poop. Most of the buttplugs these days are neon colors for some reason. 😆 And the Tin Cup is obviously a secret reference to Kevin Costner because he was a decent ballplayer and also a tribute to Sergio hitting 5 balls into the water at the Masters. I think its a brilliant, hidden nod.

BrianInLA
    Participant

And of course the IT guy has no idea how to properly edit a post. Brilliant.

InThisTown
    Participant

The attempt at perspective with the New being smaller than York  :lol:

Though I shouldn’t ascribe his regular incompetence to an attempt at artistry, I guess.

chicowalker
    Participant

:lol: either that or an unemployed hottaker version of around the horn.  Instead of Woody Paige from the newsroom of the Denver Post, it’s Wilbur on a webcam from home in his bathrobe or Dickerson facetiming from the alley behind Longhorn Steakhouse while he’s on his break

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Most of the buttplugs these days are neon colors for some reason. 😆

Research project?  :blink:

chicowalker
    Participant

Bob Ryan’s take being buttplugs of the 60s can do anything today’s buttplugs can do, without having to do things like being neon to distract you from their relative mediocrity

Just unearthed video taken of the New England media contingent in the press box following the most recent Super Bowl:

Chaos

Yahtzee
    Participant

Pete’s mailbag is always a treat, this week he tells us how the Patriots draft may unfold. As a bonus, Pete gets to remind us 2 more times how much more he cares about the Humboldt situation than we do. https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/04/11/patriots-draft-quarterback-bill-belichick-josh-mcdaniels-mmqb

“I can only imagine what it feels like to be a Canadian. “

RedSeat
    Participant
    . . .  What would be the equivalent in another industry (besides multiple firings). . . . 

How about a sports-themed cartoonist without wit, artistic ability, background in or knowledge of sports?

Feejis
    Participant
    . . . What would be the equivalent in another industry (besides multiple firings). . . .

How about a sports-themed cartoonist without wit, artistic ability, background in or knowledge of sports?

Let’s not bring the Tank McNamara guy into this.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

“I can only imagine what it feels like to be a Canadian. “

jforb
    Participant

7995, think that’s +6 today, +5 yesterday

Wonder if he’ll pimp hitting 8000.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

Aren’t there rappers serving time right here in New England for parole violations Bob could have visited first?

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

On T&R this morning I heard a replay from yesterday of them cracking jokes about Ray Lewis’s comments and them talking about the team songs from the 1986 Super Bowl. How about some effort boys?

Come back, Regular Brian.

My agenda is truth.

Lebron
    Participant

ESPN doing a top draft moment for each franchise, Reiss came up with this beauty

Selecting their first Super Bowl-winning QB in 1993

Suzy
    Participant

This is (probably) terrifically phony, but follow the plot line: This sentence makes me want to kick puppies. It’s not “probably” phony, it’s definitely phony, because it’s speculative about a scenario that has not happened, but might. So not real. But also not “phony” because it’s not propagating a falsehood, or a lie per se- it’s a prediction of sorts. I won’t even touch “terrifically”. How, how can he be so bad at this? I’m not even talking about his DadJean takes, just his inability to craft a sentence properly? He’s been doing this for nearly 40 FUCKING YEARS. What would be the equivalent in another industry (besides multiple firings). I’ve been a short order cook since ’78. Diners all across the country. Just don’t ask me to do eggs, not my strong suit

Fat load can’t write to save his life. You’re right–his longevity, good reputation, and influence are all baffling. I live for the day he drops dead or better yet, is exposed as a pervert. Something, anything.

InThisTown
    Participant

Aren’t there rappers serving time right here in New England for parole violations Bob could have visited first?

Pour out some coffee milk for Lil Rhody  :-(

Coma
    Participant

At first I thought it was poop. Most of the buttplugs these days are neon colors for some reason. 😆

Maybe so they don’t get lost? Or mistaken for other implements – “You people have no idea how upsetting it is to take out your toolbox with your hammers and dollies for dent removal and find someone’s buttplug in there. Put your stuff back where it belongs!”

A hottake we probably won’t hear on local sports talk radio is that we won’t know how good the Red Sox are until they play a good team, like the Angels or Blue Jays.

InThisTown
    Participant

Bob Ryan’s take being buttplugs of the 60s can do anything today’s buttplugs can do, without having to do things like being neon to distract you from their relative mediocrity

The Hondo was the most durable two-way, multi-position sex toy of the 60s. Fact.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

The Hondo was the most durable two-way, multi-position sex toy of the 60s. Fact.

Don’t talk to me if you never saw that buttplug in person.

Participant

Image result for on three inside the sports huddle

https://www.si.com/vault/1972/09/04/613622/see-no-evil-hear-no-evilha

• This reply was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by  02062.

Coma
    Participant

Just unearthed video taken of the New England media contingent in the press box following the most recent Super Bowl: Chaos

That reminds me of how detestable Shaughnessy is. He’s very big on being objective and only “rooting for the story,” but has said the two sporting events that got an emotional reaction out of him were Red Sox-Yankees, ALCS Game 7 in 2003 and Super Bowl 42.

Suzy
    Participant

Just unearthed video taken of the New England media contingent in the press box following the most recent Super Bowl: Chaos

That reminds me of how detestable Shaughnessy is. He’s very big on being objective and only “rooting for the story,” but has said the two sporting events that got an emotional reaction out of him were Red Sox-Yankees, ALCS Game 7 in 2003 and Super Bowl 42.

Troll cunt.

Lebron
    Participant

Rizzo going to the DL with back issues, Genius Joe walking on Ryan’s side of the street

“I still believe guys swing too much,” Maddon told reporters Tuesday. “I came here this morning and I’m hearing cracks of the bat down the hallways in the batting cage. I don’t think Billy [Williams] did that, I don’t think [Ron] Santo did that, I don’t think Ernie [Banks] did that. They probably didn’t have a batting cage to do that in.

“With Anthony, I’m trying to convince him to back off — no pun intended — a little bit, because swinging too often can exaggerate the issue,” Maddon said. “If more swings were the answer, everybody would hit .300.”

Guys, enough of this practice stuff, I’ve opened a frisky little Zin why don’t we sit back enjoy some vino and talk about other things like that fascinating Josh Rosen.  That’s what Ernie would do

Suzy
    Participant

Rizzo going to the DL with back issues, Genius Joe walking on Ryan’s side of the street

“I still believe guys swing too much,” Maddon told reporters Tuesday. “I came here this morning and I’m hearing cracks of the bat down the hallways in the batting cage. I don’t think Billy [Williams] did that, I don’t think [Ron] Santo did that, I don’t think Ernie [Banks] did that. They probably didn’t have a batting cage to do that in. “With Anthony, I’m trying to convince him to back off — no pun intended — a little bit, because swinging too often can exaggerate the issue,” Maddon said. “If more swings were the answer, everybody would hit .300.”

Guys, enough of this practice stuff, I’ve opened a frisky little Zin why don’t we sit back enjoy some vino and talk about other things like that fascinating Josh Rosen. That’s what Ernie would do

Right?! What a dink. And can he ever shut his fucking yap and protect his players? He’s a pro at throwing red meat to the media clowns and trashing a player in the process. Despicable.

Oh and Genius, I don’t think you mean “exaggerate.” There’s another word that sounds a lot like it that may be the one you want.

jforb
    Participant

Banks wanted to relax, not play two all the time.

chicowalker
    Participant

Those guys also finished last for 1000 straight years

Participant

Why couldn’t Tito win that Game 7?

Humphrey
    Participant

Image result for on three inside the sports huddle https://www.si.com/vault/1972/09/04/613622/see-no-evil-hear-no-evilha

Odd confluence of posts.   Lebron mentioned the 1993 draft and the #2 pick that year was Rick Mirer, who Jim McCarthy would tout week after week over Bledsoe.   Whatever Bledsoe was or wasn’t, his career was on a different level than Mirer’s, who was the poster child for overrated Notre Dame football players.

Feejis
    Participant

Yeah, Ted Williams never did practice hitting.

BrianInLA
    Participant

I was just about to post something like that. Tiger Woods has been doing it wrong all these years. No need to hit 90,000 golf balls daily. Just relax, wear a funny outfit, make some cute quotes and collect the trophy’s.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

I enjoyed that. Kirk/Gerry should do a segment like this every week. Make it like the old, old, old game show “Queen for a Day”. “The interview will climax with Bailey Kirk/Gerry asking the unemployable contestant what he/she needed most and why he/she wanted to win the title of Queen for a Day “Hottaker for a Day”. Many women sports media members broke down sobbing as they described their plights, and Bailey Kirk/Jerry was will always be quick to comfort them and offer a clean white handkerchief to dry their eyes. The winner, to the musical accompaniment of Pomp and Circumstance anything by Springsteen, would be draped in a sable-trimmed red velvet robe, given a glittering jeweled crown to wear, placed on a velvet-upholstered throne, and handed a dozen long-stemmed roses to hold as he/she wept, often uncontrollably, while his/her list of prizes are announced.”

“anything by Springsteen” =  :lol:   :lol:   :lol:

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

I call B.S. Game 4 of 2004 WS took away his ill-gotten “Curse of… ” meal ticket. Upset, abused, adrift, inconsolate are all emotions and they were on him like a cloak of sorrow.

Ironhead
    Participant

Loyko joined BSJ as a draft analyst.   :lol:   :lol:   :lol:   :lol:   :lol:   :lol:   :lol:   :lol:   :lol:   :lol:   :lol:   :lol:   :lol:

Participant

Mr. Ironhead, please pick up the white courtesy phone please.

Here’s some news: I’m joining and the team to provide and NFL Draft Coverage. Here is a link to subscribe:

Oops – Never mind.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by  02062.
Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar