Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 4/13/2020-4/19/2020 Weekly Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 98 total)
  • Author
    Miserable Fellow
    Participant

The Globe’s the best – mercifully it’s behind a paywall.

Medical workers share concerns about masks delivered by Patriots plane

I could ask my wife about it, but I’d think the phrase “Beggars can’t be choosers” would apply here.

Humphrey
    Participant

That’s gotta be worth at least half a dozen snarky paragraphs in Shank’s “picking up the pieces of shit” columns.

And as far as the rest of the Globe is concerned, if the salespeople, the Chinese government or some Chinese company, were criticized, for playing fast-and-loose concerning the quality control of the mask shipment, it would be racism.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

I’m sure Shirley Leung has a thought or 2.

50 degree temperature drops are fucking bullshit.

Yahtzee
    Participant

It’s really a terrible article if you read it. Lots of innuendo.

“When KN95 respirator masks are made right, authenticated, and properly tested, they are considered to have most, if not all, of the protective qualities of the N95 masks. The federal Food and Drug Administration on April 3 issued an exception to its strict regulation of respirators, releasing a statement saying it “would not object” to their use “for the duration of the pandemic.” The Centers for Disease Control has also deemed the KN95 mask a suitable alternative when N95 supplies are low. But while the masks appear to offer similar performance, they are not certified by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health. Fears of counterfeit masks run rampant, and many doctors are concerned they would put workers at risk.”

So, in short, these may all be perfectly fine even if they’re not the Rolls Royce of masks.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Red Sox would be playing at Oakland today if it weren’t for the pandemic.  Today’s an exception, because of them being on the road, but one major advantage of the outbreak has been avoiding a lot of shitty late March, early April weather.

OTOH, we’d be in the first round of the playoffs in the NHL and NBA today, I suppose. :-(

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

Take that, John Henry!

4 users thanked author for this post.
    jforb
    Participant

How long is this wind supposed to last? Just heard a giant thunk that I thought was on the roof and now I have no idea where the right side of the awning over the front door is.

Lebron
    Participant

Someone played Game 4 of the ’04 World Series, might have been FS1, so was watching a bit.  3rd inning Manny leads off with a base hit, Ortiz doubles, so 2nd and 3rd no one out, Red Sox lead 1-0 on Damon’s lead off home run.  Can’t remember if it’s Mueller or Varitek who smokes a ground ball to 1st Pujols fields it and guns it to the plate and gets Manny.  Buck and McCarver are talking about what an incredible play it was by Pujols and how because he was playing back it was even more incredible that he threw it home rather than take the out at 1st.  It’s the 3rd inning, they’re down 3 games to none and 1-0 in the game.  They can’t afford to give up another run.  The ball was hit hard and Manny was going on contact, so the pitcher hasn’t even gotten to moving toward 1st, and the play to the plate is a pretty sure out.  He wasn’t gunning it from the right field corner, he was in the infield.   Terrible pbp and analysis.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Coma
    Participant

Brian mentioned SB42 yesterday. To look at it a different way, Eli Manning led the league in turnovers (fumbles lost and INTs) that year. How many standard deviations from the norm is it to be the most turnover prone player in football during the regular season but then only commit one over a 4 game stretch against the best teams in the league?

Lefty

Hey, fucking Globe, how many concerns are being shared about the masks the Red Sox went out of their way to get?

oh, that’s right, 0 times 0 is John Henry’s dick size.

I don’t even like Kraft and am irritated with the fucking Globe story.

7 users thanked author for this post.
    Participant

Schefter has McCaffrey back to the Panthers for 4 years at $16M per – nothing on tweet about guarantees.

Lebron
    Participant

Speaking of high paid RBs I saw some pic of Dak Prescott having a party.  Covid concerns aside, there’s a picture of Ezekiel Elliot looks like like he’s guarding the food tables with his life.

Lebron
    Participant

Still galls me that Romo throws the nutcrushing pick in the end zone to end the divisional game, and Favre throws that god awful pick in OT in the NFCCG.  Then in ’11 the Giants squeezing in on the last week and the Niners finding every which way to fuck up that NFCCG.  Even if they lose those SBs I could have done without losing both to the fucking Giants, and Peyton’s brother.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

ESPN asking its on air ‘talent’ to take pay cuts, 15-20%

BrianInLA
    Participant

Gee, poor Golic going from $6 million a year down to $4.8 million. Plus I’m sure its only temporary until bailout money ends up with Disney. How will he ever support his family?

Out here its almost across the board that people were either laid off or had their salary/hours reduced at least 10%. One former co-worker got reduced to 60% today. They gave him his choice of days. He purposely picked working Mon/Wed/Fri. I instantly called him a moron. I’ve never seen anything like this. I don’t know one person who wasn’t financially effected here.

Lebron
    Participant

We’re still at no raises/cost of living adjustment/promotion, but would imagine the next step might be a reduction in pay.  Companies like mine embraced lean – ie everyone pointing fingers at everyone else that there’s too much waste in their organizations – so people are already doing like 3 jobs.  We didn’t have layoffs as much as when people leave you don’t get backfill.  I’m short 2 people on my team.  You can’t actually cut more people and function.

Lebron
    Participant

If ESPN is proposing 15-20% cuts, you have to think FS1 is paying in food stamps.

jforb
    Participant

Ted Sarandis, years ahead of the game once again

Yahtzee
    Participant

Just watched end of Game 7 Bruins vs. Tampa in 2011.  Great hockey.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Rickkyboy
    Participant

If only Krafty Bob would purchase the Herald as a vanity project and repatriate Iron Head back home and install him as the Sports Pager Editor in Chief…..

a boy can dream :lol:

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Yahtzee
    Participant

Not that a warning should be necessary but stay away from Shank’s latest hack troll effort.

jforb
    Participant

Only saw what then Shaughnessy watch blog excerpted but that whole column couldn’t have taken more than 5 minutes could it?

Participant

“Garoppolo started two games for the Patriots – two – and got a 449-word sonnet on his way out the door. Brady won six Super Bowls and got what amounted to a form letter.”

Never change Cork-A-Roo never change.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Coming back to what Lebron was saying last week about how fast he may return to public events. KROQ had some concert promoter on yesterday and they were talking about all of the spring/summer tours that they are tentatively moving to the fall and winter and this guy was saying they had been in contact with folks at the WHO who are telling them that it may be fall of 2021 before its safe to actually have concerts again. If that ends up being worst case is there any way any pro sports can happen?

Lefty

Coming back to what Lebron was saying last week about how fast he may return to public events. KROQ had some concert promoter on yesterday and they were talking about all of the spring/summer tours that they are tentatively moving to the fall and winter and this guy was saying they had been in contact with folks at the WHO who are telling them that it may be fall of 2021 before its safe to actually have concerts again. If that ends up being worst case is there any way any pro sports can happen?

If that were to be the case, it will start the inevitable Kraft/Belichick started corona virus to make sure Brady never played for another team rants.   I mean, the Patriots’ plane WAS seen in China, you know!

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 98 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar