Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 4/13/2020-4/19/2020 Weekly Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 98 total)
  • Author
    Lebron
    Participant

I think it was the Ohio State AD that said if it’s not safe to have fans in the stands for games, how is it possibly safe for players/coaches/staff?  Total crickets.  People are at a total loss, all of these things that were thought to be impossible to fail might not fully fail but they are going to take a serious crushing hit.  They can’t market or try to appeal to a new fan base or whatever else, they literally can’t play the games.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Lefty

The NHL is in an interesting place with all of this.   The formula for their salary cap is very clear and amounts to a 50/50 revenue split for identified items – most notably ticket sales.   They true up the formula after every season to set the cap for the next year.   So, with no end of the season games and no playoff revenue, if they stick to the formula the cap would have to be cut way, way back for next year.   I don’t think any team in the league would be in compliance with that type of cap.   Fluto wrote a little bit about it today in The Athletic.   The CBA runs through the end of 2022

Participant

The NHL is in an interesting place with all of this. The formula for their salary cap is very clear and amounts to a 50/50 revenue split for identified items – most notably ticket sales. They true up the formula after every season to set the cap for the next year. So, with no end of the season games and no playoff revenue, if they stick to the formula the cap would have to be cut way, way back for next year. I don’t think any team in the league would be in compliance with that type of cap. Fluto wrote a little bit about it today in The Athletic. The CBA runs through the end of 2022

Lefty, not sure of the answer – are 1st round picks slotted a salary?

Coma
    Participant

ESPN asking its on air ‘talent’ to take pay cuts, 15-20%

I’m hopeful that at least one “talent” refuses to accept any reduction and instead receives a 100% cut.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

Good point about revenue share in CBAs.

Lefty

Lefty, not sure of the answer – are 1st round picks slotted a salary?

Not in the same way as other sports do with their cap.  NHL cap counts only players on the big club’s roster, plus buyouts, plus any penalties (like the portion of Backes’ salary that counted toward the Bruins’ cap when he didn’t report to Providence)

Drafted players are “slotted” into entry level contracts that dictate their pay for the first three years.   Those contracts only  Count against the cap, though, if the player is on the big club’s roster.    Entry level contracts in Providence or guys who stay in college or junior don’t hit the cap.

Participant

Thanks Lefty – I was curious as to if the money affected a kid like Farrance from BU who was a 3rd round originally but I would imagine would be a high 1st next year.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Hank Steinbrenner won’t be down to … do whatever it was that Hank Steinbrenner did after his younger brother unseated him as managing general partner of the Yankees.

Lebron
    Participant

Pearce retires.  Calls the cheating allegations bullshit.  Manfred said that the decision was going to be issued months ago.  They must have nothing.

Lefty

Thanks Lefty – I was curious as to if the money affected a kid like Farrance from BU who was a 3rd round originally but I would imagine would be a high 1st next year.

I don’t think he gets re-drafted.  I think, unlike baseball, in the NHL the team that drafts you keeps your rights until hell freezes over.    There have been a couple of guys lately who made it clear they wouldn’t sign and forced trades, but think the re-drafting thing is really rare.

Coma
    Participant

Pearce retires. Calls the cheating allegations bullshit. Manfred said that the decision was going to be issued months ago. They must have nothing.

Right on cue, the NFL said today that the Patriots film crew at the Browns-Bengals game was still under review. Absolute clown show.

Participant

Ray Allen was on a podcast with Max recently.

“I left because there were so many unresolved issues that the team wasn’t considering or willing to change.”

Article didn’t cite a follow up as to the issues he referenced.

Ray claims he received death threats, hate and vitroil from Boston fans.

Lefty

Ray Allen was on a podcast with Max recently.

“I left because there were so many unresolved issues that the team wasn’t considering or willing to change.”

Article didn’t cite a follow up as to the issues he referenced.

Ray claims he received death threats, hate and vitroil from Boston fans.

Well, at least it’s good that he received them in threes.   OCD and all.

Lebron
    Participant

Ding away but I never really got the hard on over Ray Allen.  He was a known weirdo, came to Boston and did what they acquired him to do.  Then he was a free agent and signed somewhere else and won another championship.  Never understood why people got so wound up over him leaving.  Guess I got over that shit when Luis Tiant signed with the Yankees in ’79.

Hacksaw
    Participant

Do the Red Sox and Patriots get an A for offseason moves when there might not be a season or a season worth playing?

I mean it both teams getting Off Season Champs rings would be a first.

jforb
    Participant

I think the Sox only do if the season isn’t held.

Lebron
    Participant

WWE furloughing talent and cutting salaries, saw somewhere that the Buffalo Sabres let 125 people go or were going to.  I couldn’t imagine being an NFL owner for example and saying yeah we need to keep paying Roger Goodell $45 million or whatever to do nothing.

Lebron
    Participant

This Simmons stuff is insane.  Just bought a $16 million pad in Hancock Park area of LA

The nearly one-acre estate also features lush landscaping, with spacious lawns front and rear. Meandering pathways twist around ancient oak trees and formal gardens, while brick-and-stone pathways lead to the detached guesthouse, a mini-replica of the main mansion. At the far rear of the property is a full-size, lighted tennis court with an adjacent viewing pavilion — nicely shaded from the L.A. sunshine by a thatched roof, of course. And just a quick skip from the pavilion is a large swimming pool surrounded by an expansive brick patio.

Besides his new $16 million estate, property records reveal Simmons continues to maintain a fearsome stable of luxury homes. Back in late 2015, he punted out $7.5 million for an oceanfront cottage on Malibu’s exclusive Carbon Beach, where some of his neighbors include billionaires like Eli Broad, Larry Ellison and Jeffrey Katzenberg. He also continues to maintain his longtime Hancock Park residence, a $3.1 million 1920s Tudor that was acquired back in 2007. There’s also a condo in Westwood — walking distance to UCLA — and last December, the budding real estate tycoon splashed out $1.7 million for a Spanish-style home in L.A.’s Larchmont Village neighborhood.

Even if you put out good or even great podcast content, how the hell can you have this kind of money?  That’s fucking batshit.  He must be collecting on 30 for 30 somehow, it’s all on ESPN+ so he must get a cut of downloads.  What has he done for HBO?  He had that failed talk show, but what else?  Even at his peak what was ESPN paying him?  You figure if Greenberg and Smith make around $6 million now, Simmons couldn’t have been much more than that, likely less.  I guess he got sent packing from ESPN around 2015 so maybe he signed that HBO deal and had the cash for the beach property.  20 years ago he was asking his readers at Digital City to send him links to stories he could post in his columns.  Now he drinks champagne when he’s thirsty.  Fuck.

BrianInLA
    Participant

That can’t be real.  It just can’t. I know some actually talented people here and they aren’t nearly killing it like this guy is. He had to have pocketed every cent he ever made or known the best real estate guy ever.  Carbon Beach? Oh just fuck off Mr. podcast boy.  I’m sure Ellison loves having this idiot as his neighbor.  “Hey Larry, know what I’d do if I were running Oracle?”

Yahtzee
    Participant

“Some tough details in new NTSB docket on baseball great Roy Halladay’s fatal 2017 plane crash. Per his doctor, he battled chronic back pain, depression & insomnia and went to rehab in ’13 & ’15 for opioid, benzodiazepine misuse. Several drugs were in his system at time of crash.”

BrianInLA
    Participant

According to The Alexa Aaron Paul is worth $20 million (watching Westworld), Ed Harris $20 million and Bryan Cranston $40 million.  Also says Bill Simmons is worth $100 million with a salary of $7 million. Simmons worth more than those 3 is comical.

According to The Alexa Aaron Paul is worth $20 million (watching Westworld), Ed Harris $20 million and Bryan Cranston $40 million. Also says Bill Simmons is worth $100 million with a salary of $7 million. Simmons worth more than those 3 is comical.

What is Goodell worth vs. Brady (excluding Giselle’s worth)? We live in Bizarro World.

Coma
    Participant

On Tuesday, Jay Glazer stated that he would be breaking a major story on Wednesday. That led to tons of speculation, including Odell Beckham being sent to the Vikings. At 11 PM tonight, Glazer revealed that an offensive lineman for the Rams has become the first player in the league to test positive for the virus. That’s absolutely news, but why tease something like that versus just announcing it yesterday or earlier today?

NBA players have tested positive and now an NFL player has. Have any baseball players, though? If not, it’s just more evidence as to what our national pastime should be.

Participant

My eyebrows are entering Dr Pappas terriotry #WoolyWally

Participant

Save this one Rene.

“The Patriots are going to take a quarterback, probably with a premium pick,” Rapoport said on “The Rich Eisen Show.” “I would just imagine it’s not at the pick they currently have.”

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 98 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar