Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 4/13/2020-4/19/2020 Weekly Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 98 total)
  • Author
    Hacksaw
    Participant

According to The Alexa Aaron Paul is worth $20 million (watching Westworld), Ed Harris $20 million and Bryan Cranston $40 million. Also says Bill Simmons is worth $100 million with a salary of $7 million. Simmons worth more than those 3 is comical.

If I understood right from the TV show Silicon Valley, Worth vs How much cash you have are two different things.Sounds like Worth is more bragging rights vs how much cash you can spend.

Don’t think we talked about this part of the Stern interview:

“I didn’t say that, for the record,” Brady told Stern. “He doesn’t remember as well as I do. I remember saying, ‘You’ll never regret picking me.’ [Kraft] always will say, ‘I was the best decision…’ But it’s neither here nor there.”

That’s a far cry from “I’m the best decision this organization ever made”. Just another story Kraft loves to repeat along with the “then you’re a schmuck” one.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    stabbed by foulke
    Participant

My 10 year old has the Patriots selecting Jordan Love, QB from Utah St in his mock draft with their own pick. Which makes sense since Rap’s analysis is usually at an 4th-grade level.

7 users thanked author for this post.
    BrianInLA
    Participant

Jared Goff says he’s looking forward to playing football in front of empty seats if that’s what it comes to. I’ll bet he really is. Nice, new 4 trillion dollar stadium with nobody in it is really going to be inspiring. I heard some podcast half joking about if they play without fans how would it effect the point spreads and give some of the normal 3 points back to the visiting team.

This is when networks should be thinking about rolling out all the different viewing options for the fans. The “in the huddle” channel. The “hearing the coaches mike” channel (on a delay). Different choices for announcer options or what to see on the screen for stats. They have to do something to take away from the obvious distraction of empty stadiums.

Then again ESPN was showing the 1997 spelling bee the other day and people were watching so perhaps by the time sports start back up people will be willing to watch any POS product.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    jforb
    Participant

I might take an empty stadium over 50k booing me.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Without fans I wonder if the QB will be able to hear the trash talking from the other sidelines. “Nice pass Goff. Just like in the Super Bowl when you had a wide open Cooks in the end zone…remember that pass? You guys would have won the game? Oh, you do remember?”  The 50k booing might be a better option.

Lebron
    Participant

Heard somewhere that Disney is losing $30 mil a day between the closed parks, lost ad revenue and lagging film releases.

Simmons might actually have the hard cash, I thought Spotify paid cash for the Ringer.

jforb
    Participant

Does Gasper have a good speaking voice? He’s taking  his talents, by which I mean his ability to look up words in a thesaurus, to ch 5.

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

The thesaurus is moving to Needham:

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

I don’t get it, my local news station (WPRI-12 in Providence) isn’t even running sports except once or twice a week. They lost a sports reporter recently and didn’t even replace her, just moved another guy into that slot.

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

Does Gasper have a good speaking voice? He’s taking his talents, by which I mean his ability to look up words in a thesaurus, to ch 5.

I hear him in my head with a squeaky voice. Definitely a voice made for print.

jforb
    Participant

Howard Finkel won’t be down to be released by the WWE. How was he only 69?

Nashua Dad
    Participant

Channel 5 needs four Sports reporters?

Lebron
    Participant

“Just like Tom Brady, I’m changing jobs too!”  What is with these guys like him and Bedard comparing themselves to professional athletes?

5 users thanked author for this post.
    stabbed by foulke
    Participant

So does Halloran still get to vomit out his two minute hot take?

Gasper’s vocabulary when live is very different than his vocabulary in print. He’s not so sesquipedalian (look it up!) as he wants you to believe. He’s gonna be exposed.

Participant

“Just like Tom Brady, I’m changing jobs too!” What is with these guys like him and Bedard comparing themselves to professional athletes?

Like equals!

Brian Dennehy will not be down to enjoy Chrissy’s wordplay over on Channel 5.

“Maria, that taut dress really accentuates your mammary glands”

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Tommy Boy! Gonna have to watch that again. Great Movie.

Tommy:
    Does this suit make me look fat?

Richard:
    No, your face does.

:lol: :lol:

Humphrey
    Participant

“Some tough details in new NTSB docket on baseball great Roy Halladay’s fatal 2017 plane crash. Per his doctor, he battled chronic back pain, depression & insomnia and went to rehab in ’13 & ’15 for opioid, benzodiazepine misuse. Several drugs were in his system at time of crash.”

You mean to tell me that someone flew a small plane under the bridge on a major interstate highway….and not one of the terrified SOBS driving on that bridge managed to call it in to someone? Or no one took a picture of it on their phone? Not like they couldn’t have figured out which plane it was in a couple hours.

Lebron
    Participant

I used to work with Halladay’s father in law.  Top 5 in the genuinely nicest people I ever met category.  The death itself was shitty enough for him, hope this isn’t making it worse.

Lebron
    Participant

Bill doing a podcast with Jemele Hill on Love and Basketball.  Rusillo doing a podcast with a guest I’ve never heard of telling whack backstage rap stories and nights in the club.  Someone call my real estate agent and get me a $20 mil mountain house in Aspen.

Coma
    Participant

According to The Alexa Aaron Paul is worth $20 million (watching Westworld), Ed Harris $20 million and Bryan Cranston $40 million. Also says Bill Simmons is worth $100 million with a salary of $7 million. Simmons worth more than those 3 is comical.

One of the more galling things with Simmons is that he launched his career and got a lot of support (hand raised) with a “I’m just like you, the regular fan” act. We know now that he never really was, at least not the way he portrayed it, but the relateable stuff like the movie quotes, the college stories, making fun of announcers, etc struck a chord. Now, he hasn’t just become the established sports media he used to rail against, he’s gone way past that into major celebrity status (financially, anyway). I still doubt the average person would recognize him, but he can choose which 5 of his homes he’d like to think about that in.

I would have guessed that Ed Harris’ net worth was a lot more. Maybe it’s because he was never a major leading man. For example, he was in Apollo 13, The Rock and the Truman Show, but his name was never above the movie title. Still, he’s had close to 40 years as a well regarded actor, so I thought he would have amassed a larger fortune than that.

Lefty

I wonder when Goodell will start suspending players that test positive for corona.

Lebron
    Participant

No bribing the piss man on the corona test it seems.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Yahtzee
    Participant

Premium Pick!

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 98 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar