Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 4/13/2020-4/19/2020 Weekly Thread

Viewing 23 posts - 76 through 98 (of 98 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I wonder when Goodell will start suspending players that test positive for corona.

When someone from the team in Foxboro catches it.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    BrianInLA
    Participant

I saw this on Sosh and its been entertaining. Strat-o-matic is playing the season and posting daily recaps. I have found myself rooting for Betts to do well in his LA stint. Sox are 10-10. They’ve been struggling trying to find a 5th starter. Seems about right.

2020 Season Simulation

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

Everyone aching for sports to come back, I’m concluding I’d be fine with a year or so break from all the bullshit and watch the death spiral of all the screaming hot take sport shows.  Like Ed Norton’s nameless character in Fight Club – “after a week you don’t even miss tv.”

chicowalker
    Participant

I wonder if Simmons regrets getting married? Back when he used to write she was fodder, but now he’s got to look at his single/divorced middle aged friends who can leverage Malibu beach houses into hot 20 something women and then look at his wife…

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

I bet Mrs Simmons regrets getting married.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    BrianInLA
    Participant

Mrs Simmons must really love Bill because half of that fortune could be hers in a second. The kid dating their daughter is probably like “Hey, can you ask your dad if we can have one of the cheaper houses?”

Lebron
    Participant

Watched the ’87 ECF Celtics-Pistons Game 7.  I remember they were on their last legs but in the first half they seemingly made one substitution, Sichting in for Ainge.  Second half Parish could barely move on that ankle so they ran Walton out there for about a minute.  That was ugly as he couldn’t really play.  McHale picks up his 5th and they had to bring in Darren Daye.  Sam Vincent got some run.  But they had zero bench.  Walton hurt, Wedman hurt, Sichting not really contributing.  Such a difference from ’86.  Then of course maybe if they add Bias coming off the bench and you have a much deeper team, but still you can see the starting 5 getting up there.  It was some Film Room show with McHale, Isiah and Mahorn.  Predictably those 2 bitched about anything and everything and McHale laughed saying for us this was just another game and we knew we would win.

chicowalker
    Participant

those Pistons teams were constructed weird.  I did a dive on basketball ref. and for a period of 3-4 years almost all of their guard minutes were just IT/Dumars/Microwave.  Off the top of your head, can you name another guard? And they had a glut of 4/5s (Rodman/Laimbeer/Mahorn/Salley/Edwards) while really only ever having one 3 (Dantley/Aguirre)  I guess that was mitigated a bit by Laimbeer shooting jumpers

Lebron
    Participant

Mrs Simmons must really love Bill because half of that fortune could be hers in a second. The kid dating their daughter is probably like “Hey, can you ask your dad if we can have one of the cheaper houses?”

Kids are 14 and 11 or so, wait a couple of years probably prime for a divorce.

Also, they’re running out of material, I would normally listen to Rusillo but his last couple of pods have been really digging.  Had his old producer on who is basically begging for a job.  Then the one with some rap guy I’ve never heard of talking rap beefs.  Is this 1997?  Today’s Bill Simmons podcast:  The NBA’s Summer Return, the Quarantine ‘Bachelor,’ and the MJ Doc With Casey Wasserman, Chris Harrison, and Mike Tollin.  So basically “It’s not happening, who cares, and who are 3 people I’ve never heard of.”  All in a brisk 2 hours I’m sure.  And this Jordan documentary, 10 parts?  I thought the Celtics-Lakers one they did was too long at 3 parts, and that’s excluding Ice Cube v. Donnie Wahlberg

Lebron
    Participant

those Pistons teams were constructed weird. I did a dive on basketball ref. and for a period of 3-4 years almost all of their guard minutes were just IT/Dumars/Microwave. Off the top of your head, can you name another guard? And they had a glut of 4/5s (Rodman/Laimbeer/Mahorn/Salley/Edwards) while really only ever having one 3 (Dantley/Aguirre) I guess that was mitigated a bit by Laimbeer shooting jumpers

Isiah and Mahorn talked a bit about the team.  Isiah mentioned that the team itself had a small forward that loved to post up in Dantley, and a F/C that loved to shoot from outside in Laimbeer, so they were constructed way different than other ’80s teams.  Those guys really ran the floor well.  McHale said Dantley gave them fits, the matchups were just not good and they felt out of position with Dantley inside and getting to Laimbeer outside.  Isiah talked about how the Dantley injury in that game really screwed them up because they had combinations on the floor that they simply never played with, and then they were in foul trouble.  Isiah had 4 or 5, Mahorn had 5, Salley might have had 4 or 5.  Rodman didn’t play much in that game from what I saw, which I was surprised by.  He was terrific defensively, a few great blocks.  However he did Rodman things like throw up an air ball from 8 feet, so maybe that’s why Daly wasn’t playing him in such an important game, which we would do the following year against the Lakers.  Sidney Green got some run for the Pistons.  McHale talked about how the following year the Pistons were much better at things like pick and roll and that helped them get over the top.  Then they added Aguirre and Edwards and that got them to their championships.

Chuck Schick
    Participant

Does Gasper have a good speaking voice? He’s taking his talents, by which I mean his ability to look up words in a thesaurus, to ch 5.

You gotta love Ch. 5, they roll out elite newsbabes all day long: Antoinette Antonio, Katie Thompson, Cindy Fitz, Kellyanne Ciccalese, Maria Stephanos, Nichole Berlie, Shayna Seymour, it’s unreal. Meanwhile the ladies are treated to Randy Price, Dough Meehan, Mike Wankum, Harvey Leonard, Ed Harding and Gasper. :lol:

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Participant

Magician Beard’s program being lower rated than Flanders and Dick Teeth is a good thing.

Lebron
    Participant

Title of a MacMullan piece on espn.com:  The Michael Jordan I knew is about to be revealed to the world in ‘The Last Dance’.  Why didn’t you write something about it before now?  Like you held on to some top secret info that only you knew over the last 3 decades?  What a bunch of self important bullshit, typical media.  Now you too can learn things that only I know, we’ll be like equals, if only for 10 hours.  Then back to your pissant know nothing life.

Humphrey
    Participant

Watched the ’87 ECF Celtics-Pistons Game 7. I remember they were on their last legs but in the first half they seemingly made one substitution, Sichting in for Ainge. Second half Parish could barely move on that ankle so they ran Walton out there for about a minute. That was ugly as he couldn’t really play. McHale picks up his 5th and they had to bring in Darren Daye. Sam Vincent got some run. But they had zero bench. Walton hurt, Wedman hurt, Sichting not really contributing. Such a difference from ’86. Then of course maybe if they add Bias coming off the bench and you have a much deeper team, but still you can see the starting 5 getting up there. It was some Film Room show with McHale, Isiah and Mahorn. Predictably those 2 bitched about anything and everything and McHale laughed saying for us this was just another game and we knew we would win.

I think it goes back to that regular season. The starters were overused, look at these average minutes:

Bird 41
    McHale 40
    DJ 37
    Parish 37
    Ainge 35

Compare them to their competition

Thomas 37
    Laimbeer 35
    Dantley 34
    Dumars 31
    VJ 28
    Mahorn 20 (injured and missed 20 games)

Magic 36
    Worthy 34
    Scott 33
    Kareem 31
    AC Green 28
    Cooper 28

Lebron
    Participant

Their bench strength yo yo’d from ’85/’86/’87.  ’86 they had great bench contributions but ’85 and ’87 it was pitiful.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Man did the Pats get hosed on that next to last Chiefs scoring drive in the 2019 AFC Championship game. They called about 17 penalties on poor JC Jackson.

Mark
    Participant

Simmons’ wife used to bang other guys when they were dating. Doubt that it’s changed.

Lebron
    Participant

Man did the Pats get hosed on that next to last Chiefs scoring drive in the 2019 AFC Championship game. They called about 17 penalties on poor JC Jackson.

Caught that today as well.  Nantz was disgusted throughout the OT.  Mahomes is on the bench saying ‘just give me a chance!’ Romo then follows with if he gets the chance he’s gonna score!  When Burkhead gets in he then says well the poor Chiefs defense was tired.

jforb
    Participant

Simmons’ wife used to bang other guys when they were dating. Doubt that it’s changed.

And Simmons didn’t?

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Coma
    Participant

It seems like the only penalty people remember from that game was the marginal RTP call when the Chiefs defensive lineman brushed Brady’s helmet. That cemented the narrative that the officials bailed out the Patriots. That ignores that the Patriots cornerbacks were called for ticky-tack penalties while the Chiefs DBs were allowed to get away with a lot more contact. Of course, there was the blatant OPI by KC that set up a late TD, but the Patriots are the only team that runs pick plays :rollseyes:

Coma
    Participant

Heading towards the NFL draft, there’s been talk ranging from if it should take place to how can teams organize a virtual war room to concerns about technological failures during the draft. Last night, the WNBA held their draft and I didn’t any concerns, before or after, about if it should be held or how it went. I guess it was like a WNBA draft in non-pandemic times in that regard.

Coma
    Participant

I scrolled through a three round mock draft earlier today. My biggest takeaway was how much the LA Rams new logo looks like it belongs on a detergent product.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

I scrolled through a three round mock draft earlier today. My biggest takeaway was how much the LA Rams new logo looks like it belongs on a detergent product.

Supposedly, tomorrow, Patriots’ Day. the Krafts are going to unveil some kind of new uniform for the 2020 team.  Why mess with the uniform they’ve made world-famous for the past 20 years?

:blink:

Viewing 23 posts - 76 through 98 (of 98 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar