Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 4/14-15/2018 Weekend Thread

This topic contains 38 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by  Kingasaurus 8 months ago.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author

Rickkyboy
    Participant

Got dusty watching the Red Sox pregame with all the Marathon survivors and families of the murdered.

Reiss got Amendola for an interview, in which – among other things – Amendola said Belichick “is an a-hole sometimes”, a characterization to which I suspect Belichick would agree, and one that would not offend him. Amendola also talked about feeling bad for Butler and wondering why he was benched. Again, pretty standard stuff from a player. Of course, PFT and the Globe run with these two items as ledes.

It was pretty obvious Amendola never wanted to leave. His opening interviews in Miami looked like hostage videos. The “Belichick screwed Amendola” narrative is an easy one to script. Amendola took yearly pay cuts to stay, then came back to Belichick to see if he’d match Miami’s offer. Of course he wouldn’t. Amendola’s 32 (same age as Welker when he left) and Miami’s deal is two years, $12M (same deal Denver gave Welker in 2013, ironically).

Belichick loved Amendola (his Belichick Breakdowns often featured an Amendola block, or him sprinting forward to fair catch a short punt to preserve field position). He was exactly the type of player Belichick covets: skilled, smart, loves football, and eminently coachable. But Belichick doesn’t give “reward” contracts; Miami does. It’s a cold business, but it is a business, after all.

The press has been striking out when trying to get ex-Pats to diss the coach. Butler, without going into details, owned up to not being prepared or focused for the game. Solder wrote a love letter to New England. Bennett couldn’t say a bad word. And Amendola couched the criticism with praise; but he did say Belichick “is an a-hole sometimes”, so that’s gonna be the lede. It’s a rare win for the press.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

“He’s an a-hole sometimes.”  That describes 80 percent (at least) of all football coaches, doesn’t it? And the sanctimonious ones like Dungy are usually adept at being two-faced and/or they have a-holes as assistants. Kind of like the old high school hierarchy of the good cop principal and the bad cop assistant principal.

Claude45
    Participant

“He’s an a-hole sometimes.” That describes 80 percent (at least) of all football coaches, doesn’t it? And the sanctimonious ones like Dungy are usually adept at being two-faced and/or they have a-holes as assistants. Kind of like the old high school hierarchy of the good cop principal and the bad cop assistant principal.

He’s an asshole some times describes every manager/boss. How do you avoid it? Eventually, you have to make a decision or two that pisses people off. I guess with the exception of the sports media. There it’s all sunshine, rainbows and protecting all the really great guys.

• This reply was modified 8 months ago by  Claude45.

Feejis
    Participant

Reiss got Amendola for an interview, in which – among other things – Amendola said Belichick “is an a-hole sometimes”, a characterization to which I suspect Belichick would agree, and one that would not offend him. Amendola also talked about feeling bad for Butler and wondering why he was benched. Again, pretty standard stuff from a player. Of course, PFT and the Globe run with these two items as ledes.

It was pretty obvious Amendola never wanted to leave. His opening interviews in Miami looked like hostage videos. The “Belichick screwed Amendola” narrative is an easy one to script. Amendola took yearly pay cuts to stay, then came back to Belichick to see if he’d match Miami’s offer. Of course he wouldn’t. Amendola’s 32 (same age as Welker when he left) and Miami’s deal is two years, $12M (same deal Denver gave Welker in 2013, ironically). Belichick loved Amendola (his Belichick Breakdowns often featured an Amendola block, or him sprinting forward to fair catch a short punt to preserve field position). He was exactly the type of player Belichick covets: skilled, smart, loves football, and eminently coachable. But Belichick doesn’t give “reward” contracts; Miami does. It’s a cold business, but it is a business, after all. The press has been striking out when trying to get ex-Pats to diss the coach. Butler, without going into details, owned up to not being prepared or focused for the game. Solder wrote a love letter to New England. Bennett couldn’t say a bad word. And Amendola couched the criticism with praise; but he did say Belichick “is an a-hole sometimes”, so that’s gonna be the lede. It’s a rare win for the press.

I noticed a headline in multiple places that said “Solder calls Patriots ‘cold’”

I mean, if that’s your takeaway from what he wrote, you’re not really looking to do anything but get clicks.

Big Fat O
    Participant

BB is an asshole because he’s demanding and he expects everyone to work as hard as he does. This all translates to winning.

The reason the Pats win every year is there is a system and structure where everyone is accountable.

Chief
    Participant

Seriously.  The Glob has to get its shit together.  Douchepont’s lead in the Sunday Hockey Notes column name checks Iafrate, McNabb, Milbury and a half dozen other guys on the wrong side of 50.  I assume they were caught completely off guard with Fluto leaving, but they have no backup plan/bench strength?  WTF is Sullivan doing over there?

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

That seemed to be a decent first period.

Lebron
    Participant

I hate all the country bumpkin redneck bullshit associated with the Predators.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Seriously. The Glob has to get its shit together. Douchepont’s lead in the Sunday Hockey Notes column name checks Iafrate, McNabb, Milbury and a half dozen other guys on the wrong side of 50. I assume they were caught completely off guard with Fluto leaving, but they have no backup plan/bench strength? WTF is Sullivan doing over there?

Sports Editor Sully is sabotaging NCAA Basketball Writer Sully.
    (OK, that analogy doesn’t really work …  :lol: )

Kingasaurus
    Participant

NFLN obviously too cheap and lazy to update their Top 10 shows.

Just saw one where dummy says “Come back and talk to me when Tom Brady win his fourth championship.”

Um…ok?

rclane
    Participant

Some Eagles db got tased and lugged last night. In the article I read, they pointed out that the team has some depth at the position of the Eagles cut him loose as a result.

For such a miserable group of people, they maintain a great deal of optimism. 8-8 here they come.

Coma
    Participant

Some thoughts while trying to decide if I should post these separately to try and get us to two pages:

– I didn’t expect the Red Sox to be 10 games over .500 before April 15th. The crazy thing is, almost Patriots-like, you can point to extenuating circumstances for their 2 losses (The bullpen blowing a 4 run lead in the season opener and Price leaving with numb fingers against the Yankees.) There wasn’t a significant roster makeover and, as a casual viewer, it doesn’t seem like Cora has done anything revolutionary with the batting order, defense, rotation or relievers. I hate to give the #firefarrell crowd credit, but maybe the team just needed a fresh voice. Of course, if they stumble in June or July, #firecora will get worn out.

– There’s a lot in the statement from Bedard about covering the Revolution that IH posted on twitter, but what jumped out to me was “built from the ground up from scratch.”

The guy in Pittsburgh that Craig consulted with and purchased the site template from can say he built it from scratch. Bedard, not so much. It does seem like Craig underestimated the customer service aspect of this venture and giving people the high hat isn’t as easy as it was when he was at SI.

– Based on BBTL’s post, I was a littler surprised that no one ran with Marty Bennett’s quote about Brady that Norwood Zip posted on Friday (“His idea of fun is kicking your ass”) with a headline of “Tom Brady Enjoys Bullying Opponents.”

Lebron
    Participant

Wouldn’t want to be the wife of a Man U fan today/tonight

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

So Richie Incognito may not be retiring after all?  If he ends up in Foxborough, Fatty :pk: , FS1, ESPN, NFLN, the Globe’s finger-wingers, and Tony Mazz will all simultaneously and spontaneously combust.

:lol:

jforb
    Participant

I tried figuring out Chico’s Spanish twitter buddy’s reaction but I suspect losing badly and winning by a million are indistinguishable.

Humphrey
    Participant

But mittens will love having his “good guy” around

Yahtzee
    Participant

Having to tune in and out of the Celtics game today, and every time I get back it seems nuts.  Huge streaks on both sides from what I can tell.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Red Sox are, unbelievably, playing baseball this afternoon, and they’ve played long enough to make it an official game. Let’s hope no one (especially Sale) gets hurt. The Young CS remembers newly acquired RHP Rick Wise going out in weather like this in April 1974 and hurting his arm, which went a long way towards costing the Red Sox the AL East.

It’s Jackie Robinson Day and everyone is wearing #42 with no names on the back. That would have destroyed Ned Martin back in the day. Whether it was his eyesight or the Scotch, Ned had a lot of trouble identifying ballplayers late in his tenure — especially African-American ballplayers.   :ohmy:   :pk:

Yahtzee
    Participant

That was a home game too? :lol:

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Overtime. C’s Blow a 10 pt lead in the last 4 mins to get here.

Humphrey
    Participant

I’m not sure which three they gave up in the last fifteen seconds was the dumber one

Yahtzee
    Participant

Penguins-Flyers.  Ick.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

I guess for Bob Ryan, the best start in franchise history can’t possibly supplant the games he saw when he was 9.

“Baseball Different, But Still Great”

(the fact that this is not a link is deliberate. you’re welcome)

Major Intangibles
    Participant

Some thoughts while trying to decide if I should post these separately to try and get us to two pages:

I would have posted them separately.

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Major Intangibles
    Participant

But that’s just my opinion.

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Major Intangibles
    Participant

OK, maybe TjM would hold the same opinion.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

Schefter just did show prep for all the radio shows tomorrow. Ok, maybe three minutes about how sad it is those guys had to run so far in the rain. Baseball, basketball, hockey, what are those?

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

WEEI will have four more hours to chatter about Gronk, the sacred Patriot’s Day Red Sox game has already been cancelled.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

This has the cadence of a Regular Brian.

Yahtzee
    Participant

This has the cadence of a Regular Brian.

It was supposed to be followed by 4 more posts but I had to do something.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Nice win by the Pacers.

jforb
    Participant

Nice win by the Pacers.

Nice of Lebron to hang around for the last few seconds. Liked ABC’s graphic on his first round win precentage too.

Coma
    Participant

WEEI will have four more hours to chatter about Gronk, the sacred Patriot’s Day Red Sox game has already been cancelled.

The local radio guys must be jealous of their San Antonio counterparts. If the Kawhi Leonard situation was happening here, they wouldn’t have had to do any show prep for months.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

R. Lee Ermey will not be down to find contraband jelly doughnuts at breakfast.

BSF34
    Participant

“I bet you could suck a golf ball through a garden hose”

RIP,  Gunny. Only guy who said “Maggots” as much a Colonel Callahan.

Wait, what?

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

It’s by the boards now, but octogenarian Bartolo Colon taking a no hitter into the 8th against the Astros wasn’t something I was expecting.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

“I bet you could suck a golf ball through a garden hose” RIP, Gunny. Only guy who said “Maggots” as much a Colonel Callahan.

A underrated line from him is:   “…Military Journalism???”

The WTF? inflection in his voice is great. :

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar