Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 4/2/2018 Daily Thread

This topic contains 56 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  328 Chauncey St 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 57 total)
  • Author

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

Fatty using Chris Simms to rate the QB’s in the draft is the epitome of cluelessness.

Some other gems:

• John Mara will keep Odell Beckham Jr. because his father put up with Lawrence Taylor.
    • The “Josh McDaniels” rule should not be called the “Josh McDaniels” rule, then never explaining why.
    • Loves the “lyrical” John Sterling’s home run call for Giancarlo Stanton. Lyrical? Then makes a big deal that it’s Italian while the guy’s background is primarily African-American, Irish and Puerto Rican.
    • Fawned all over some guy he did a podcast with because he showed up with Fatty’s favorite Starbucks.

Yahtzee
    Participant

I’ve heard it said that sometimes sad events bring laughter. Not sure this really counts but it made me laugh.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jcimino31/status/980769815039275008

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Hey with any luck a flaming chunk of Chinese space junk could lank on Fatty of John Dennis over the next few days. Maybe even Roger Godell.

chicowalker
    Participant

Need some math/gambling advice re: hedging.  I’m in two pools. In one, if Nova wins, no matter the score, I finish second and win $100.  Nothing if Michigan wins. In the other, if Nova wins AND the combined score is 135 or under, I win either $500 or $550.  Winner take all in this pool, and nothing if michigan wins.  Line is somewhere in the range of Nova -7 (145)  If I make a small bet on Michigan to cover I guarantee myself something and perhaps a double (or triple) dip if Nova wins by less than 7, AND if they win like 63-58 or whatever.  I don’t see that as likely, however.  I think if the score is low enough for me to get my under 135, that’s the more likely scenario Michigan wins.  If I bet the over, I do leave myself exposed to the final score that falls between 136-145 which gets me nothing.  Any opinions on my play?

I know this is fairly penny-ante, for me it’s really more satisfying to be right than the $200 bucks or whatever I end up winning

• This reply was modified 8 months, 2 weeks ago by  chicowalker.

jforb
    Participant

Mr. 7912 (not sure if that’s a 0 for today or just hasn’t been updated, but +16 from Friday) can’t be bothered to follow the Celtics:

Brad Stevens has his team 6-0 without Kyrie Irving (and seemingly a host of others).

Doesn’t think April matters:

not sure how we’re supposed to the judge the team with nine games against the Rays and Marlins to open the season. Those teams are terrible. … At least the Yankees come to town on April 10.

And takes a shot at Claude Julien too for some reason.

New feature: a weekly comparison, 38463/415 for DK.

Claude45
    Participant

Fatty using Chris Simms to rate the QB’s in the draft is the epitome of cluelessness. Some other gems:

• John Mara will keep Odell Beckham Jr. because his father put up with Lawrence Taylor.
    • The “Josh McDaniels” rule should not be called the “Josh McDaniels” rule, then never explaining why.
    • Loves the “lyrical” John Sterling’s home run call for Giancarlo Stanton. Lyrical? Then makes a big deal that it’s Italian while the guy’s background is primarily African-American, Irish and Puerto Rican.
    • Fawned all over some guy he did a podcast with because he showed up with Fatty’s favorite Starbucks.

The worst thing in sports is the Sterling home run calls. All those self-proclaimed hard-nosed, cynical, tough guy Yankee fans are all Randell 21 for those corny calls.

chicowalker
    Participant

Was it Sterling that was profiled not too long ago- lives in a J. peterman bachelor apartment, DVRs soap operas to watch when he gets home alone, can of soup for dinner?

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Fatty using Chris Simms to rate the QB’s in the draft is the epitome of cluelessness. Some other gems:

It’s bad out there. NFLN was on in the background yesterday. They actually did another waste-of-time mock draft, but then brought in their “fantasy expert” to assess the “fantasy implications” of the mock draft they just did.

Just when you think you’ve reached peak bullshit, it actually gets worse.

GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

Was it Sterling that was profiled not too long ago- lives in a J. peterman bachelor apartment, DVRs soap operas to watch when he gets home alone, can of soup for dinner?

Bayless lives alone and buys a week’s worth of chicken broccoli ziti every Sunday according to an old profile.

Come back, Regular Brian.

My agenda is truth.

chicowalker
    Participant

i. The Miami Marlins have eight uber-attractive home games this season: four against the Cubs, two against the Red Sox, two against the Yankees. Six will be finished tomorrow: the four Cubs games that opened the season and the two against Boston that followed. That leaves two against the Yankees, on Aug. 21 and 22, remaining.

what an asshole.  In May alone they have home series w/Washington and the Dodgers.  No stars on those teams people may want to see :rollseyes:

RedSeat
    Participant

Need some math/gambling advice re: hedging. I’m in two pools. In one, if Nova wins, no matter the score, I finish second and win $100. Nothing if Michigan wins. In the other, if Nova wins AND the combined score is 135 or under, I win either $500 or $550. Winner take all in this pool, and nothing if michigan wins. Line is somewhere in the range of Nova -7 (145) If I make a small bet on Michigan to cover I guarantee myself something and perhaps a double (or triple) dip if Nova wins by less than 7, AND if they win like 63-58 or whatever. I don’t see that as likely, however. I think if the score is low enough for me to get my under 135, that’s the more likely scenario Michigan wins. If I bet the over, I do leave myself exposed to the final score that falls between 136-145 which gets me nothing. Any opinions on my play? I know this is fairly penny-ante, for me it’s really more satisfying to be right than the $200 bucks or whatever I end up winning

I don’t like the 136-145 window. I’m sure there’s a way to correctly hedge with an over, but the simple play is $100 on Michigan, taking the points. If Nova covers, over 135, you break even. All other outcomes pay. (Pool costs are sunk and not considered. Assuming you get Michigan and points straight up, not -110 or anything.)

• $100 for any Michigan win
    • $200 for Nova winning but not covering, over 135
    • $500 for Nova winning and covering, under 135
    • $700 for Nova winning but not covering, under 135

Lebron
    Participant

Bayless has a girlfriend according to him but she knows her place – his career is more important.  Purchases a week’s worth of chicken and broccoli no sauce and a week’s worth of the same sandwich every Sunday.  Fucking pathetic.

Coma
    Participant

Who knew that being a Father Flanagan-type is passed down from generation to generation.

chicowalker
    Participant

Thanks Red Seat, that really clarifies what’s been banging around in my brain.  I actually made a small bet on Nova vs Kansas that has covered my entry fees, so your first scenario is a true break even.

Lebron
    Participant

Sterling is 80.  What an awful life.

Coma
    Participant

It’s bad out there. NFLN was on in the background yesterday. They actually did another waste-of-time mock draft, but then brought in their “fantasy expert” to assess the “fantasy implications” of the mock draft they just did. Just when you think you’ve reached peak bullshit, it actually gets worse.

Someone, maybe Feejis, noted the new ridiculous trend of trades appearing in mock drafts. It’s not enough for “draft experts” to predict how each team will make their selection (and, unlike St. Will McDonough, be wrong 90% of the time), they’re now imagining trades that will never happen and making choices based on that.

chicowalker
    Participant

It’s bad out there. NFLN was on in the background yesterday. They actually did another waste-of-time mock draft, but then brought in their “fantasy expert” to assess the “fantasy implications” of the mock draft they just did. Just when you think you’ve reached peak bullshit, it actually gets worse.

Someone, maybe Feejis, noted the new ridiculous trend of trades appearing in mock drafts. It’s not enough for “draft experts” to predict how each team will make their selection (and, unlike St. Will McDonough, be wrong 90% of the time), they’re now imagining trades that will never happen and making choices based on that.

Fatty did a mock trade that had the Giants trading both Beckham and the #2 pick and getting three firsts back…then he added an exclamation at his made up shit.  Three!  :wall:  

Claude45
    Participant

Fatty did a mock trade that had the Giants trading both Beckham and the #2 pick and getting three firsts back…then he added an exclamation at his made up shit. Three! :wall:

He’s an off the charts narcissist. I can’t imagine how awful it would be to have to deal with Fatty in person on any level. He’s a truly terrible person.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Its the same nonsense as when someone wants to be THAT GUY who picked the Pats to go 8-8. It happens every year. Someone is always making stupid, off the wall predictions that have maybe a 2-4% chance of happening. When they don’t happen no one ever remembers. One the rare occasion they do this person is hailed a hero and guru all because they basically got lucky. Its an odd phenomena that seems to be getting more and more frequent thanks to the internet. Thus on the off the wall chance that Fatty’s prediction comes true he will forever be known as the “Draft Guru who got the Giants trade correct”. When the trade doesn’t happen, even if its pointed out to him, it gets forgotten. Its a win/win scenario.

BrianInLA
    Participant

The bottom line however is that we, the fans, are now far dumber for having read any of that nonsense from him. If his job is to educate the fans with things we don’t already know, how does any of this help? If his job is basically to be an entertainer then fine. But he also sucks bigly at that as well.

Participant

I see no problems with this at all Peter (lowering head rule) – 345 Park Avenue thrives under pressure.

“The NFL has seven weeks to write the rule the right way; the league wants it done by the NFL spring meetings beginning 49 days from today, May 21-23 in Atlanta. “

No, no Peter – the ONLY reason for the rule is to try and deflect liability down the road you dummy.

“I find it ironic that in the wake of the passage of this rule, the majority of players who have spoken out hate it. They think it will change football as we know it. It’s ironic because part of the reason for the rule—maybe the biggest part—is to minimize the kind of blows that could lead to brain issues for players later in life”

stabbed by foulke
    Participant

Fatty did a mock trade that had the Giants trading both Beckham and the #2 pick and getting three firsts back…then he added an exclamation at his made up shit. Three! :wall:

That hypothetical will be fact sooner rather than later. And if the Giants could’ve gotten three firsts for Beckham, why’d Bill the GM settle for a second for Jimmy?

Major Intangibles
    Participant

This Day in BSMW History- 2015:

Donc-Tjm day.

ChicoWalker, on 02 Apr 2015 – 11:49 AM, said:
    their version of Hell in a Cell is that it has to take place in a game thread where the Pats are down 17-10 to the Dolphins at halftime in September :lol:

Marty Nopointe Members 60,026 posts Posted 02 April 2015 11:54 AM
    there’s no love lost when those two enter the squared circular logic.

Lefty, on 02 Apr 2015 – 12:29 PM, said:
    TJM will be sorry when he learns Donc’s version of the Montreal Screwjob.

Marty Nopointe Members 60,026 posts Posted 02 April 2015 – 12:33 PM
    Bah GAWD that’s not how you perform a Mexican Surfboard and you know it Cabesa! That man has a family!

The Rolling Rock Bottom is my favorite finisher.

– – –

Abdullah Butcher’s the English Language

Kamala-overhertits

The Ultimate Worrier

Chris Ben Wa

Stone Cold Steve Autism

Sergeant Slaughter’s the English language

Jort/tee Jort/tee Piper

King Kong Bunny

Honky…Man

The Cans-ATM Connection

Perry Saturn Ion

Mr. No Period

The Dollar Menu Man

Brock Lesser Poster

The Great Kabukakke

Ken Pantera

Chief Jay Strongbow Cider

George the Animal Steals Cable

Sting(y)

Ivan Koloff the starters before they get hurt

Colonel De DrunkoffthreeBeers

Rick Rude In-Laws

Christian

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Major Intangibles
    Participant

BSMW Calendar April Update

January 21 – Annual Patriots AFCCG Appearance & Thread

February 20 – Franchise Tag Slapping Eligibility period opens

February 28 – The Baseball Paper Anniversary Day

March 13 – Wayne’s Birthday

March 19 – Traditional date salmon return to Capistrano

March 26 – Belichick Skips NFL Picture Day

April 2 – Donc/TjM Wrasslin’ Day

April 5 – Red Sox Home Opener

April 11 – Stanley Cup Playoffs begin

April 13 – First ‘Has Cora Boone Lost The Clubhouse?’ Articles

April 14 – Swan Boats return to Public Garden

April 18 – Inncorect NFL Schedule Information Release Date

April 21 – Albert Breer Menacing pinch anniversary

April 29 -Second Round of NFL Draft begins

May 15 – NBA Conference Finals Begin

May 24 – Memorial Day Weekend Mixtape Release

May 25 – Solo: A Star Wars Story release date

June 30 – Price/Eckersley Incident Remembrance Day

July 14 – BST&N/BSMW Crossover ‘Do you know who Hugh Millen was?’ Day

July 17 – Forget to watch the MLB All-Star Game Day

August 9 – Patriots Logo Polo Shirt Outrage Day

September 1 – Revs Game maybe?

September 23 – Mo Lewis Appreciation Day

October 20 – Head of the Charles Regatta opens

October 21 – Fenway Scaffolding Collapse Thread Day

October 29 – Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale Release Date, probably

November 13 – Jackie McMullan ‘Darkest Days’ Patriots prediction anniversar

December 12 – Sam Shaugnessy, Federal Employee of MLB, arrest date anniversary

& as yet unscheduled;

TBD – Boston Sports Journal Bankruptcy Announcement Date

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Coma
    Participant

Wait, Peter King thinks that Kevin Costner movie is real?!?

Lebron
    Participant

It feels like most draft day/near draft day trades are of the highly unpredictable/didn’t see that coming variety.  Pretty much since forever.  I’m still stunned the Patriots moved up to the top pick in 1984.  Anyone attempting to predict this shit is a humongous fuckhead.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

“Hey, what’s the name of that kid in Jacksonville, again?”

“Unrealistic Literary Device, I think.”

“Necessary Dupe to Move the Highly Dubious Plot?”

“Let’s just name him after somebody who would find it believable.”

“So, Peter then?”

Yahtzee
    Participant

Thanks Red Seat, that really clarifies what’s been banging around in my brain. I actually made a small bet on Nova vs Kansas that has covered my entry fees, so your first scenario is a true break even.

Your original post hurt my brain. Redseat deserves a PhD.

chicowalker
    Participant

Thanks Red Seat, that really clarifies what’s been banging around in my brain. I actually made a small bet on Nova vs Kansas that has covered my entry fees, so your first scenario is a true break even.

Your original post hurt my brain. Redseat deserves a PhD.

:lol:   agreed 100%.  I had Virginia and their stupid defense/pace making the final, thus the low total.

Lebron
    Participant

The Sedin sisters retiring together is perfect.

Hacksaw
    Participant

He probably has a Kevin Costner autographed baseball.

Lebron
    Participant

Was going to make a joke when I saw that the Counting Crows are doing a 25th anniversary tour that I must have missed the Live 25th anny tour then I read that Live is that opening act on the bill.  Holy fucking horrible.

Claude45
    Participant

The next selection for the BSMW book club has been released.

https://whdh.com/news/boston-museum-releases-new-book-about-infamous-art-heist/

NASCL
    Participant

1st Place at BSMW Halloween party for 15 consecutive years.

Lebron
    Participant

Put another rule of the unwrittens on the board

Minnesota Twins players were upset Sunday that Baltimore Orioles catcher Chance Sisco bunted against the shift for a hit in the ninth inning of Minnesota’s 7-0 victory.

With one out in the ninth, Sisco bunted toward the vacant left side of the infield to get on base. The Orioles eventually loaded the bases, but Jose Berrios worked out of trouble, getting Jonathan Schoop to pop out to the catcher and Adam Jones to strike out to complete the three-hit shutout.

Despite that, Twins second baseman Brian Dozier spoke out about Sisco’s bunt after the game.

“I could’ve said something, but they have tremendous veteran leadership over there, with Chris Davis, Adam Jones and those guys,” Dozier told reporters. “I’m sure they’ll address it and move forward.”

Berrios added to reporters: “I don’t care if he’s bunting. I just know it’s not good for baseball in that situation. That’s it.”

So you put a shift on that left the 3rd base side empty and you’re mad he hit/bunted it over to where you weren’t, he was supposed to hit it at you instead?  Go tit.

Hacksaw
    Participant

“I could’ve said something, but they have tremendous veteran leadership over there, with Chris Davis, Adam Jones and those guys,” Dozier told reporters. “I’m sure they’ll address it and move forward.”

Guys who could kick my ass.

Participant

Besides their super duper outstanding veteran leadership, they have this guy leading the way as manager.

See the source image

Claude45
    Participant

Minnesota Twins players were upset Sunday that Baltimore Orioles catcher Chance Sisco bunted against the shift for a hit in the ninth inning of Minnesota’s 7-0 victory. With one out in the ninth, Sisco bunted toward the vacant left side of the infield to get on base. The Orioles eventually loaded the bases, but Jose Berrios worked out of trouble, getting Jonathan Schoop to pop out to the catcher and Adam Jones to strike out to complete the three-hit shutout. Despite that, Twins second baseman Brian Dozier spoke out about Sisco’s bunt after the game. “I could’ve said something, but they have tremendous veteran leadership over there, with Chris Davis, Adam Jones and those guys,” Dozier told reporters. “I’m sure they’ll address it and move forward.” Berrios added to reporters: “I don’t care if he’s bunting. I just know it’s not good for baseball in that situation. That’s it.”

So you put a shift on that left the 3rd base side empty and you’re mad he hit/bunted it over to where you weren’t, he was supposed to hit it at you instead? Go tit.

That is insane. What a bunch of pussies. Why isn’t is a breach of the unwrittens to put on a shift on up 7-0? Your gimmick is ok but his isn’t? Why is the shift so great for baseball?

• This reply was modified 8 months, 2 weeks ago by  Claude45.

Coma
    Participant

Costner’s the son of a minor league ball player, set the minor league home run record as a catcher and then pitched a perfect game at Yankee stadium as a member of the Tigers. Pretty good autograph to get.

Suzy
    Participant

Minnesota Twins players were upset Sunday that Baltimore Orioles catcher Chance Sisco bunted against the shift for a hit in the ninth inning of Minnesota’s 7-0 victory. With one out in the ninth, Sisco bunted toward the vacant left side of the infield to get on base. The Orioles eventually loaded the bases, but Jose Berrios worked out of trouble, getting Jonathan Schoop to pop out to the catcher and Adam Jones to strike out to complete the three-hit shutout. Despite that, Twins second baseman Brian Dozier spoke out about Sisco’s bunt after the game. “I could’ve said something, but they have tremendous veteran leadership over there, with Chris Davis, Adam Jones and those guys,” Dozier told reporters. “I’m sure they’ll address it and move forward.” Berrios added to reporters: “I don’t care if he’s bunting. I just know it’s not good for baseball in that situation. That’s it.”

So you put a shift on that left the 3rd base side empty and you’re mad he hit/bunted it over to where you weren’t, he was supposed to hit it at you instead? Go tit.

That is insane. What a bunch of pussies. Why isn’t is a breach of the unwrittens to put on a shift on up 7-0? Your gimmick is ok but his isn’t? Why is the shift so great for baseball?

What a joke. Whaaaaaaa  :wag:

Has Fatty chimed in yet?  :pk:

Kingasaurus
    Participant

How about the only unwritten rule is do whatever the fuck you want and stop whining. You want to bunt when the pitcher has a bum knee? Go right ahead. Baseball guys are always the worst with this shit.

jforb
    Participant

Further quote that seems even nuttier to me:

When they didn’t hold our runner on [in the top of the ninth inning], they conceded to the fact they didn’t want us to steal, so we didn’t steal. We could have very easily stolen and put up more runs, so therefore in return you don’t bunt. That’s what everybody is missing in this whole thing.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

How about the only unwritten rule is do whatever the fuck you want and stop whining. You want to bunt when the pitcher has a bum knee? Go right ahead. Baseball guys are always the worst with this shit.

Complaining about a breach of baseball’s unwritten rules is also a  breach of the unwrittens.  :wag:   :pk:

Baseball is the pussiest of all sports

Big Fat O
    Participant

So Utility Lou thinks Horford sucks so Draper is getting into it with him.

Draper needs to tell Lou if he was half as good as Horford he may have stayed in the majors.

I wonder if taking shit from ex players who couldn’t make is worse than Loser media members.

Hacksaw
    Participant

Costner’s the son of a minor league ball player, set the minor league home run record as a catcher and then pitched a perfect game at Yankee stadium as a member of the Tigers. Pretty good autograph to get.

You forgot he was Sonny Crockett’s head case caddy in that charity golf tournament!

Lebron
    Participant

Why even play a shift up 7-0?  The whole thing sounds like a Hardo Little League game

Lebron
    Participant

The Masters really knows how to gay it up.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Lebron wrote:

The Sedin sisters retiring together is perfect.

Has anyone ever counted how many times in their career one of them was on the ice without the other?

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar