Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 4/20/2020 – 4/26/2020 Weekly Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 164 total)
  • Author
    Lefty

I miss sports every day, but I am sure it would upset the pearl clutching people who refer to Boston as “Beantown” to know I could not possibly care less that the Marathon is not being run today.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Miserable Fellow
    Participant

I wrote a post linking to mock draft simulators but WordPress ate it due to overaggressive spam filters. I’ll write them up without links.

Fanspeak on the Clock: Best user interface, get to choose different big boards. Trades only unlocked with premium account.

Pro Football Network: Good implementation. Workable trading system, but difficult to know who to seek trades with at any point. Only one big board.

Pro Football Focus: Best trading system with teams approaching you for trade ups. Options others don’t have but amateurish user design makes it hard to keep track of who you’ve drafted and who’s available. Buggy design causes freezes and random pauses. At the end they rate each of your draft picks with all the nuance you’d expect from PFF.

jforb
    Participant

I miss sports every day, but I am sure it would upset the pearl clutching people who refer to Boston as “Beantown” to know I could not possibly care less that the Marathon is not being run today.

Totally forgot, do I still take the holiday?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Yahtzee
    Participant

I had to wheel back in my trash barrels. Totally forgot.

chicowalker
    Participant

Only 4/20 20 we’ll ever live through, and I’m not getting high with my bros! #needthoughtsandprayers

6 users thanked author for this post.

Fatty and the commish framing the draft as some kind of healing event in times of crisis:

“I believe,” commissioner Roger Goodell told me Saturday, “that this draft in particular is about hope. It restores hope for every fan, for every club, for the teams itself in the sense of, We have new players coming in. We have new hope. This can turn us around. This can be the answer to get us to the Super Bowl. Those things I think are really critical in our game, but beyond that I really believe that football does a great job of bringing communities back together again, and giving them a diversion at a time when people are really looking for something positive and looking toward the future, and looking to be inspired.”

After 9/11 and after Katrina, football teams in New York and Washington, and the football team in New Orleans, were very important in the comebacks of their cities. This crisis is different, because the virus is not an event that happened and went away and left a destructive wake. It’s an event that could linger and leave a destructive wake for months. We just don’t know. So this draft, with every other major sport shut down, is under a historic microscope.

“We do believe a lot of people are going to watch this, maybe more people than ever watched the draft before,” Goodell said. “But that’s not how we’re going to judge this. I think it’s going to be judged by, can we demonstrate that we adapted? We worked from home. We did something that was really important in the context of our preparation for the season by filling out rosters with draft-eligible players, and doing that in a way that also gave back to our communities through our Draft-A-Thon. And also highlighting some of the people who’ve been the real heroes in our communities.”

That’s the way it should be.

JFC.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Participant

BBTL, Pete’s telling me NOT to tune in until 8:03 at best.

“When the draft telecast kicks off Thursday night at 8 p.m. ET, you’ll hear from a familiar person: Peyton Manning. On both of the two telecasts, ABC and ESPN/NFL Network, Manning will voice a two-and-a-half-minute piece paying tribute to those on the front lines of the fight against COVID-19, and on football and its place in the country in these times. I’m told it’ll hit a range of emotions and end in hope.”

Nashua Dad
    Participant

And then the Bengals go on the clock at like 8:10 and are told to take the full time.

When the NFL can finally do this event in front of an audience again – 2022? – how many front line health care workers do you think Goodell shield himself with?

Coma
    Participant

“When the draft telecast kicks off Thursday night at 8 p.m. ET, you’ll hear from a familiar person: Peyton Manning. On both of the two telecasts, ABC and ESPN/NFL Network, Manning will voice a two-and-a-half-minute piece paying tribute to those on the front lines of the fight against COVID-19, and on football and its place in the country in these times. I’m told it’ll hit a range of emotions and end in hope.”

“A range of emotions and end in hope” –  Really? Peyton Manning isn’t going to tell us that things look bleak and are only going to get worse? He’s not going to be like Reverend Witt in Zulu* and need to be dragged off stage screaming “You’re all going to die! Die!! Death awaits you all!” Just say that you’ve heard positive things about it and are looking forward to it.

*I tried to link to that clip on Youtube, but, like the mock draft simulators, WordPress didn’t like that.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

:puke:

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Today would have been a day in which you’d be justified throwing rotten fruit at people trying to run the marathon.

Lebron
    Participant

Are more people going to watch the draft than would normally watch it?  It’s the draft, you pretty much have to want to watch it, it’s not akin to throwing a game on in the background.  It’s 3 hours of inaction and yelling, not exactly something for the half interested nothing else on crowd.

jforb
    Participant

The people going “har har, Bill’s going to hack the draft” are pissing me off. He’s super conservative around uncertainty and pushes zero boundaries. He’s going to do everything possible to make sure the Pats don’t get screwed by technology and will stay as far away from dealing with other teams as possible.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Are more people going to watch the draft than would normally watch it? It’s the draft, you pretty much have to want to watch it, it’s not akin to throwing a game on in the background. It’s 3 hours of inaction and yelling, not exactly something for the half interested nothing else on crowd.

I’ll watch when I probably wouldn’t last very long in a regular year.

Lebron
    Participant

Now that I think about it there won’t be any NHL playoff games, not sure if NBA playoffs would have started.  Still I can’t imagine being half a fan and watching that thing.

BrianInLA
    Participant

The may oil contract is trading negative? That’s something I only thought happened in the Marvel universe. Opened the day around $20. Fell to -$1.50. They are paying people to take the oil off their hands.

chicowalker
    Participant

televised drafts- where the peak in excitement is at the very beginning!  And I say this as someone who watches the NBA draft.  For the NFL draft, I follow along on my phone and when the pats are up, I turn it on and say “hmm, ok” since I am familiar with app. 4 college football players per year and they don’t ever get to draft any of them

Participant

Lose the Beemer or the Chucktown condo…..

Disgusting. I’m busting my ass to make ends meet and we didn’t get ANY funding before money ran out. Imagine if I didn’t come in every day and cry while slinging chicken Parmesan?
    Coma
    Participant

The people going “har har, Bill’s going to hack the draft” are pissing me off. He’s super conservative around uncertainty and pushes zero boundaries. He’s going to do everything possible to make sure the Pats don’t get screwed by technology and will stay as far away from dealing with other teams as possible.

The worst is, all of these people think they’re the first to have this thought. Inevitably, when someone screws up in this draft (for example, the Raiders brain trust aren’t all on the same page and some are looking at 4th round prospects in the 3rd round), people will joke that the Patriots hacked them.

Lebron
    Participant

On those small business loans you’re supposed to use the money for paying salaries/wages.  She probably has limited staff anyhow.

She was another one of those that scoffed at the virus.  Believe she even said ‘Fuck the virus.’  Well, much like in Russia, Virus fuck you!

6 users thanked author for this post.
    jforb
    Participant

That why the infection numbers stopped slumping?

Participant

I’m sure they’ll straighten things out, but part of me is rooting for chaos.

“Mock draft today already technical glitch [with] Cincinnatis 1st pick!!! Brutal,” a person involved texted to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, who tweeted the complaint by 1:24 p.m.

Coaches and general managers told ESPN’s Dianna Russini there were communication issues and bandwidth was a problem. One GM said the problem was some forgetting to hit the mute button

Believe she even said ‘Fuck the virus.’ Well, much like in Russia, Virus fuck you!

I imagine even the virus would take a hard pass here.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

See that’s classic executive shit right there.  Forgot to hit the mute button.  A ton of these assholes are going to need the white glove treatment, they can’t enter an appointment on a calendar.  Bandwidth issues?  The hell?  And isn’t the bandwidth issue the problem of the executive at home?  Hey maybe upgrade your bundle.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 164 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar